Is Phuket fixable?

Phuket electrician

Expressions like 'anyone aware', 'common knowledge' etc. always make me feel like the writer seeks shelter behind others.

And things like 'No sensible warnings at the beach, no proactive life guards at lethal beaches' are simply not true.

'Set an example I say, reject this bullshit and clean yourself up. Is it possible to make a difference here in the land of smiles, personally I don't think so.'

If not possible to make a difference, why bother to set an example?

So sorry, I can't take a post like this serious.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

shit yeah , the word is

thermo nuclear warhead !

Rather drastic, and long term outlook is not good.

I suggest just taking it over.

The online media outlet is really pushing this DSI in the white hat. I'm thinking it's just a reorganization. Of course I was scalded with boiling oil and quartered by the online ed for this opinion.

• Like 1

You should not confuse Phuket with Thailand.

There are very different countries. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Perhaps but the capital govt in Bangkok is no better. Phuket's governance is a microcosm of it and a very active and imaginative online blogger would have us all believing otherwise. Particularly bad people in Phuket? Or just Bkk hasn't got a cut.

The attempted frenzy making has me very very curious.

Too bad libel laws prevent any real discussion of media outlets.

Edited by MacChine
  • Like 1

I agree great post well done Phuket Electrician as for Geezer 2 well his handle says it all! Also he lives in Pechaboonies somewhere not Phuket so he is just a stirrer from the sticks. Keep Phuket Forum for Phuket Posters or at least some people that have a valid contribution.

Edited by McFarang
  • Like 1

Perhaps but the capital govt in Bangkok is no better. Phuket's governance is a microcosm of it and a very active and imaginative online blogger would have us all believing otherwise. Particularly bad people in Phuket? Or just Bkk hasn't got a cut.

They have metered taxis in Bangkok. We don't even have that on Phuket. :) :)

• Like 1

They have metered taxis in Bangkok. We don't even have that on Phuket. smile.pngsmile.png

They have public parking spaces available in every other city in Thailand - we dont even have THAT

• Like 1

They have metered taxis in Bangkok. We don't even have that on Phuket. smile.pngsmile.png

There was a time, fairly recently (early 90's maybe?), when Bkk taxis had no meters at all. All fares were negotiated. Then they decided to put meters in all taxis and it was quite successful I thought. Certainly if they can manage that in a huge city like Bkk, they can do the same here.

Although, I am not one that agrees that meters are the ultimate solution in and of themselves in Phuket. Some sort of fare regulation would need to be in place, and some way to deal with those 'rogue' drivers that may just refuse to use them. Merely installing a meter does not guarantee a fair fare, and does not guarantee they would be used by all drivers all the time.

• Like 1

There was a time, fairly recently (early 90's maybe?), when Bkk taxis had no meters at all. All fares were negotiated. Then they decided to put meters in all taxis and it was quite successful I thought. Certainly if they can manage that in a huge city like Bkk, they can do the same here.

Although, I am not one that agrees that meters are the ultimate solution in and of themselves in Phuket. Some sort of fare regulation would need to be in place, and some way to deal with those 'rogue' drivers that may just refuse to use them. Merely installing a meter does not guarantee a fair fare, and does not guarantee they would be used by all drivers all the time.

"early 90's maybe" - are you saying Phuket is 20 years behind Bangkok? Perhaps, you could be right. :) :)

• Like 2

I agree great post well done Phuket Electrician as for Geezer 2 well his handle says it all! Also he lives in Pechaboonies somewhere not Phuket so he is just a stirrer from the sticks. Keep Phuket Forum for Phuket Posters or at least some people that have a valid contribution.

McFarang I read his profile and he states he is 100 years old that was the point of my reply..i hope I can grumble when I am 100 years old..

and BTW Phetchabun is not in the sticks

• Like 1

The issue is the protection of the vulnerable. I came her because it's not the west, it's was and is still uncivilised, inexpensive, amniotic, this is party town. But the one's making all the money have a duty of care to the vulnerable as we all do. It seems that greed and cultural cowardice exacerbates their vulnerability. That can't be right. Good fortune allows some of us global freedom. The subject matter are not as fortunate. As privileged creatures we should speak out for them.

• Like 1

OP: Sounds like you are going through the culture shock phase at the moment. That's very normal, in fact everybody who have moved to another culture have gone through it at some point. It does not matter how many time we have moved from one place to another and how prepared we are, it will always kick in. Always at some point. (In fact the same steps applies to anything new we learn to do).

The good thing is that it will also pass after a while. Then things start to look better once again, even if there is lapses every now and then. Different culture and ways to do things require time to adapt.

After that you'll become old fart like the rest of us, who just don't give a fack. Not really, you'll just learn new and better ways how to change the environment you are living in.

Simplified expression of 4 stages of culture shock/adaptation.

1360130205001.png

And after that answer to your question. Yes. There is lots of things which are wrong in this location and in this country.

These wrongdoings are based of our individual learnings from our past. The way how we are supposed to live and how differently people here seems to see the world.

Why the small people don't fight for their rights?

Why common thugs who are easily identified are let to be in power?

Why ladies can sell their bodies, but be ashamed to dry their underwear where others can see it?

Why there can be karaoke girly bars, but no Thai lady would ever be in the beach topless?

Why boy do not grow up to be men and take responsibilities of their own lives?

There are lots of controversies in Thailand, but these are controversies to us based on how we were grown back in our own countries. These might well be logical for people who have been raised in different ways.