Flying Into Thailand On Visa-Exemption, Need Retirement Visa

Single O gets a 90 day stay. Money seasoning for the first extension is two months, for subsequent extensions three months, so yes there WILL be time. Good luck.

One final question. You say two months seasoning for FIRST extension, but I've had retirement extensions in the past, but let it lapse last time. So is the next one counted as the first, because I'm starting afresh? But shouldn't matter anyway, as I'll transfer money this month, then 3 months will have passed by end November. If I arrive in BKK mid-Sep, I can extend mid-Dec. Simple. I'll get this all sorted once I arrive in Bali.

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful advice.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's an extension of a NEW O visa, so will indeed be a FIRST extension.

Best to not go in last minute for your extension. The latest reports are applications as early as 45 days early are welcome now; 30 being more typical. Of course you need to wait until your money is seasoned, but otherwise you lose nothing by going in early as the extension STARTS from the day after the 90 day O visa stay expires regardless of the day the extension is granted.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi

I am a retiree on the same visa and came from Canada.

Here is what you need

1 a letter signed by your embassy stating how much you made in the past 3 months. That makes the Embassy feel better and usually takes a morning if you are near the front of the que.

Next you need proof of residence this can be in the form of a lease.

You will also need to have all the paperwork filled out and get the necessary copis of your passport and extra pics.

One really important thing. If you are living n BKK then go to the BKK immigration HOWEVER, if you are living on the outskirts then check which province you are in because you have to go to the immigration for that province.

Hope this helps and Welcome to Thailand

Hi

I am a retiree on the same visa and came from Canada.

Here is what you need

1 a letter signed by your embassy stating how much you made in the past 3 months. That makes the Embassy feel better and usually takes a morning if you are near the front of the que.

Next you need proof of residence this can be in the form of a lease.

You will also need to have all the paperwork filled out and get the necessary copis of your passport and extra pics.

One really important thing. If you are living n BKK then go to the BKK immigration HOWEVER, if you are living on the outskirts then check which province you are in because you have to go to the immigration for that province.

Hope this helps and Welcome to Thailand

Thanks for the welcome to Thailand, but I already lived there for 3 years. Just been away and didn't get around to renewing my extension to stay last time. Will try to make sure I renew next time, although sometimes my trips away mean I can't.

ok, I'll try to get an O visa in Bali, as that sounds the easiest option. If I can't get it for some reason I'll convert to O visa when I arrive in Bangkok. Sounds a little more straightforward now, apart from the thing about having a letter from the bank to show funds came from outside Thailand. This is the sort of thing that's likely to confuse someone at the bank.

"This is the sort of thing that's likely to confuse someone at the bank."

When supplying Thai bank information you need copies of your passbook pages and a letter from the bank manager. The last update in the passbook and the manager's letter should have the same date.

He won't find it confusing since they routinely issue the letter for applications to Immigrations for extensions of stay. Both the letter and the entries in your passbook will show which deposit(s) was/were foreign in origin. Some banks issue the letter immediately, others within a day. Usually they charge Baht 100 or Baht 200. Just tell them you need it for Immigrations and they'll know what's required.

Edited by Suradit69

Where will your RESIDENCE be in Thailand?

At larger Thai immigration offices at least you can do a change of status in Thailand to a single O visa from your 30 day stamp.

That gives you a 90 day stay.

To be qualified for that first step you must show you are FINANCIALLY qualified for the second step, the annual extension based on retirement.

What financial qualification method were you planning on using?

If using the 800K bank account method, the banked money must be seasoned for at least 60 days before your application for the annual extension. You can apply for that extension within 30 (or perhaps 45) days of the end of your 90 day stay.

You don't need a retirement visa. A retirement visa is an O-A visa. They are only available from your home country; never in Thailand.

The other two method options are income method (embassy letter showing at 65K baht monthly income or the combo method, embassy letter plus Thai bank account to at least 800K, no seasoning needed. If using the 800K method the funds do not need to be seasoned fully at the time of application from change of status from 30 day stamp to single O visa but do need to be seasoned at time of application for annual retirement extension.

Your answer at this time is spot on. But watch this space. There are major changes to visa requirements about to take place in the next few days or weeks. I haven't been told exactly what they are but I will know from the OIC next week. I don't believe there are changes to the financial requirements but certainly changes that has sent many officers to Bangkok for briefings.

Edited by lopburi3
correct quote

Go soon. You've only got 30 days. It used to be they didn't even accept later applications. Why risk that?

Be prepared to prove you are financially qualified for the income method. I THINK that means you must show up with an embassy letter for the application for change of visa status to O, as you are using the income method.

BE CLEAR, if you want to use the 800K method, the money DOES NOT need to be seasoned now! It just needs to be seasoned LATER when you go in for the second step, typically about 30 days before the expiration of your permission to stay on your new 90 day O visa.

I don't actually know if the new O starts on the day of application for change of status or starting at the end of the 30 days. Good question, I'm stumped. But again, DO NOT wait until near the end of your 30 days, go earlier.

Yes, you will need to show the same proof of financial qualification BOTH times. It is two separate applications.

When you go for the retirement extension, I know for sure the annual extension starts beginning after the end of your 90 day O stay, so no downside on applying early, typically one month early.

If you are using the income method, it is THEORETICALLY possible they can do both steps the same day, in other words change to O, plus annual extension of that O. I don't think this is commonly done these days, but I think it used to be. With money seasoning issues and having to wait for the money to season, obviously they couldn't possibly do it the same day. In any case, it is really two applications.

The specific TECHNICAL applications details, like copies of what, photos, etc, is available on this forum by search or perhaps someone will post them.

I did the two applications on the same day. The "O" starts on the day of application. I got an extension of stay against the visa of 90 days (so that they could check that my B800,000 was still in my bank book, with a request to come back after 60 days, which I did. They then extended me by 13 months (i.e. taking account of the remaining month of the 90 day extension). The second time they only wanted to see my time deposit bank book up dated on the day, not a bank letter. Which was good since Bangkok Bank didn't want to write a letter only print a statement.

You will not have problem getting letter from bank.

I had problems getting a letter from my Branch at Bangkok Bank Seacon Square Bangkok. They sent me to Head Office Silom road who said that were not able to issue a letter, only print out a statement of account. In the end Immigration did not want to see it.

ok, I'll try to get an O visa in Bali, as that sounds the easiest option. If I can't get it for some reason I'll convert to O visa when I arrive in Bangkok. Sounds a little more straightforward now, apart from the thing about having a letter from the bank to show funds came from outside Thailand. This is the sort of thing that's likely to confuse someone at the bank.

When supplying Thai bank information you need copies of your passbook pages and a letter from the bank manager. The last update in the passbook and the manager's letter should have the same date.

He won't find it confusing since they routinely issue the letter for applications to Immigrations for extensions of stay. Both the letter and the entries in your passbook will show which deposit(s) was/were foreign in origin. Some banks issue the letter immediately, others within a day. Usually they charge Baht 100 or Baht 200. Just tell them you need it for Immigrations and they'll know what's required.

I agree that this is straightforward, as I've done it in the past. What I meant would confuse them would be an additional letter saying the money came from outside Thailand. When I went last time, they just had a standard letter that didn't mention where the funds came from. As I'll be getting visa in Bali, this shouldn't be an issue anyway.

At larger Thai immigration offices at least you can do a change of status in Thailand to a single O visa from your 30 day stamp.

To be qualified for that first step you must show you are FINANCIALLY qualified for the second step, the annual extension based on retirement.

If using the 800K bank account method, the banked money must be seasoned for at least 60 days before your application for the annual extension. You can apply for that extension within 30 (or perhaps 45) days of the end of your 90 day stay.

You don't need a retirement visa. A retirement visa is an O-A visa. They are only available from your home country; never in Thailand.

The other two method options are income method (embassy letter showing at 65K baht monthly income or the combo method, embassy letter plus Thai bank account to at least 800K, no seasoning needed. If using the 800K method the funds do not need to be seasoned fully at the time of application from change of status from 30 day stamp to single O visa but do need to be seasoned at time of application for annual retirement extension.

Your answer at this time is spot on. But watch this space. There are major changes to visa requirements about to take place in the next few days or weeks. I haven't been told exactly what they are but I will know from the OIC next week. I don't believe there are changes to the financial requirements but certainly changes that has sent many officers to Bangkok for briefings.

I moved the last paragraph to correct the error showing it was something I had written. Now more than one person is "announcing" that big changes are coming soon in the retirement extension process in Thailand. But they don't say what. What are we supposed to think?

I've heard obvious rumors before here but these "announcements" are coming off a bit differently.

Is there any chance someone more authoritative can get us a SCOOP with some details about these coming soon changes (if this is real)?

Edited by Jingthing

I moved the last paragraph to correct the error showing it was something I had written. Now more than one person is "announcing" that big changes are coming soon in the retirement extension process in Thailand. But they don't say what. What are we supposed to think?

I've heard obvious rumors before here but these "announcements" are coming off a bit differently.

Is there any chance someone more authoritative can get us a SCOOP with some details about these coming soon changes (if this is real)?

Plastikbin - saying you haven't been told "exactly" what they are suggests you have some idea, so why don't you share it with us. Otherwise you sound a bit like like a troll. And what counts as major?. I doubt this very much. Did you hear this info from someone in a bar?

• Like 1

I agree that this is straightforward, as I've done it in the past. What I meant would confuse them would be an additional letter saying the money came from outside Thailand. When I went last time, they just had a standard letter that didn't mention where the funds came from. As I'll be getting visa in Bali, this shouldn't be an issue anyway.

I don't think there's a need for an "additional letter." My Bangkok Bank (in Pattaya) manager automatically indicates foreign sourced deposits made in the previous three months in the form letter he uses and Bangkok bank passbooks show the "FTT" code next to deposits that are foreign in origin.

Edited by Suradit69

There is no special letter to show source of funds. There is no need to even mention this issue to the bank. In fact, don't. Just ask for their standard letter for immigration. Yes, savings passbooks have codes which indicate source of funds. Now you might want to sit down for this: there is no written RULE saying the funds must be imported from abroad.

Edited by Jingthing

Plastikbin - saying you haven't been told "exactly" what they are suggests you have some idea, so why don't you share it with us. Otherwise you sound a bit like like a troll. And what counts as major?. I doubt this very much. Did you hear this info from someone in a bar?

More likely from one of the rumour-mongers on the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660946-retirement-visa-fee/page-2#entry6729043, I strongly suspect!

More likely from one of the rumour-mongers on the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660946-retirement-visa-fee/page-2#entry6729043, I strongly suspect!

Since that particular rumour-monger speaks of a "visa-extension" rather than an extension of stay, his credentials as someone "in the know" seem highly suspect. Visas are not extended.

The above rumor refers to "visa requirements," but that would not be an issue for people already here and making annual extensions of stay, since they would not be applying for visas in the normal course of events.

Anyone claiming to have inside information, but who can't distinguish between a visa and an extension of stay is probably either confused or trying to impress.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

No one can be precise right now as the news of the changes are due to be released next week, but I can assure you that changes are about to take place. I will let you know as soon as I know the exact visas affected and the rule changes. It's obviously giong to be promulgated anyway, they're not going to be a state secret.

Just to be sure; you guys are saying I can enter Thailand on visa exemption and go to immigration (phuket in my case) and from thereon get a non o based on retirement if I supply the income letter from my embassy ?

Yes you can.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get this in Jakarta instead? This would be easier for me than Denpasar.

It should be no problem getting single entry O visa there.

Ok, that's good. I'll be there for a week, so will go to Thai Embassy on first day. I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by davejones

What a parade! Seems everyone has a unique situation. Yep, here's mine. USA passport, now in Hong Kong, wishing to get Thai visa at Thai consulate in HK for eventual 'retirement'in T'land but must get to T'land to dump money into bank and begin process. I will try for 'non O' type visa with multiple entries as i want to move back and forth between these locations. I meet the retirement qualifications. Is that the visa to ask for? And can i bring a bank or cashiers check from HK bank to Bangkok Bank and get rapid acceptance of money?

What a parade! Seems everyone has a unique situation. Yep, here's mine. USA passport, now in Hong Kong, wishing to get Thai visa at Thai consulate in HK for eventual 'retirement'in T'land but must get to T'land to dump money into bank and begin process. I will try for 'non O' type visa with multiple entries as i want to move back and forth between these locations. I meet the retirement qualifications. Is that the visa to ask for? And can i bring a bank or cashiers check from HK bank to Bangkok Bank and get rapid acceptance of money?

The non-O visa is the right one to ask for, doubtfull they will issue a multiple though. In Asia getting a single non-O is the rule.

You could travel to BKK on avisa exempt entry and convert in Thailand to a non-immigrant visa. After 60 days you could get a 1 year extension, possibly right away, together with a multiple re-entry permit allowing you to come and go.

All you need is a single entry non immigrant O visa and that does not require bank account to obtain. Even entry without a non immigrant visa can be used with an extra step (after financial money in bank or available from Embassy letter) to obtain the visa 90 day entry directly from immigration. Once you obtain the one year extension of stay you get a multi re-entry permit for frequent travel.

How long will you be in Thailand in each of your back-and-forth movements? If you're only staying 30 days or less, a visa-exempt stamp would suffice. In fact, once your money has been seasoned 60 days (or is it two months, I keep getting confused...) you can get the retirement extension from a 30-day visa-exempt stamp and avoid ever having to bother going to the Thai consulate in Hong Kong.

The benefit of a Non-Immigrant O visa from Hong Kong would be that you could stay in Thailnd up to 90 days with no further fuss. Too bad they don't issue multiple (or double or triple) entry ones, though.

How long will you be in Thailand in each of your back-and-forth movements? If you're only staying 30 days or less, a visa-exempt stamp would suffice. In fact, once your money has been seasoned 60 days (or is it two months, I keep getting confused...) you can get the retirement extension from a 30-day visa-exempt stamp and avoid ever having to bother going to the Thai consulate in Hong Kong.

The benefit of a Non-Immigrant O visa from Hong Kong would be that you could stay in Thailnd up to 90 days with no further fuss. Too bad they don't issue multiple (or double or triple) entry ones, though.

For a conversion the money in the bank does not have to be seasoned. But if it is already seasoned they might give the conversion and the 1 year extension in one go. If no seasoned you have 90 days to season the money and apply for a 1 year extension.

• 2 weeks later...