What if I had killed him ?

jbrain

Happened tonight at around 8 PM.

I'm driving home in my car coming from Pattaya Klang and go on the highway. When I enter the ramp to the highway I notice way ahead of me a Thai without helmet on a moped .

He's almost at the top of the ramp already and when I approach him he's just passed the curve at the top already. He's riding slowly and keeping to the far left side of the ramp and when I'm right behind him he looks over his shoulder and stops at the side.

I pass him without problems but have such a strange feeling that he has something in mind, so I look in my rear view mirror, and I couldn't believe my eyes what I saw.

Then while I go down the ramp towards the Highway I see he turns around and goes back down the ramp in the opposite direction.

Mind he's past the curve already so cars coming up the ramp, most of the time at high speed and side to side on the dual lane, can not see him.

Imagine I was a only few seconds later to drive home, I would encounter him somewhere in the curve and probably drive right over him.

So what goes on in the mind of these people and what would have happened if I had killed him in such a situation? I have heard many horror stories in my time staying here, but I've never experienced such a stupid act.

I'm sure this deserves a reward of some kind.

Thats why we always need to be prepared for the unprepareable (not a real word, but fits anyway) Anything can happen, and does happen. If you would have hit him, you would have at least spend a few days in jail, and maybe would have to pay his family and police a bit of money, no matter whos fault is was.

• Like 1

Thats why we always need to be prepared for the unprepareable (not a real word, but fits anyway) Anything can happen, and does happen. If you would have hit him, you would have at least spend a few days in jail, and maybe would have to pay his family and police a bit of money, no matter whos fault is was.

Depends if you have a bailbond option on your insurance. Besides let the insurance handle it and if he was so obvious wrong. I would not worry. I got a dashcam too for things like this.

• Like 1

A repetitive comment mirroring what I have said on many other threads... Dash Cam...

Had you hit this guy (whatever the outcome) you would have Video proof of your innocence. In light of such proof I very much doubt that the police could do anything. Handling the feelings of injuring or killing someone no matter how stupid they were is another matter, but at least you wouldn't have to deal with additional anguish from the law and compensation seekers.

I have a dash cam installed in both cars (Wife's and mine) - I took the memory card out the other day to copy one of the files to my computer, I forgot to put the card back in the dash-cam. While driving 10 mins up the road I had a horrible nagging sensation because I didn't have a functional dash-cam without the SD card.

Without a Dash-Cam... You are subject to whether or not the police wish to agree with you.

Edited by richard_smith237

Depends if you have a bailbond option on your insurance. Besides let the insurance handle it and if he was so obvious wrong. I would not worry. I got a dashcam too for things like this.

Notice my remark in the OP about the horror stories I have heard during my time.

Just to mention one that happened at the same highway when it was only opened for a few weeks.

German guy comes out of the direction of Bangkok and approaches the end of the highway at Sukumvit. On the left, about 200-300 meters before the exit, there is an entrance coming from the railway roads.

Three ladies on a motorbike enter the highway from that entrance and aim straight for the U-turn in the middle of the road.

They go straight through his windscreen. Guess who was held responsible.

Answers on a postcard please

• Like 1

A repetitive comment mirroring what I have said on many other threads... Dash Cam...

Had you hit this guy (whatever the outcome) you would have Video proof of your innocence. In light of such proof I very much doubt that the police could do anything. Handling the feelings of injuring or killing someone no matter how stupid they were is another matter, but at least you wouldn't have to deal with additional anguish from the law and compensation seekers.

I have a dash cam installed in both cars (Wife's and mine) - I took the memory card out the other day to copy one of the files to my computer, I forgot to put the card back in the dash-cam. While driving 10 mins up the road I had a horrible nagging sensation because I didn't have a functional dash-cam without the SD card.

Without a Dash-Cam... You are subject to whether or not the police wish to agree with you.

I agree with you. I've often considered a dash cam, but always forgot about it because the considerable amount of money a decent one cost, but I should install one before it's too late.

I agree with you. I've often considered a dash cam, but always forgot about it because the considerable amount of money a decent one cost, but I should install one before it's too late.

A decent one does cost... I hope I never need to rely on it. But like medical insurance, I consider it a necessity.

Its very worth the cost - If you can afford a car, you can afford to protect yourself with the dash-cam.

The Cam I have is a BlackVue DR-500GW. It cost 8000 baht. Ordered online from a Thai dealer.

It was simple to install and nestles in nicely behind the rear-view mirror (I don't see it when driving).

I have the power cable running through the roof and door pillar lining to the centre console 12v power outlet, but it can also be hard wired (when hardwired it also records in park mode).

I can connect my phone to it Via Wifi and download recorded videos, or take out the SD card and plug it into my computer. It has 3D G Settings (i.e. up-down, sideways, forwards-backwards) and automatically records a 3 minute 'locked' file when the G Settings are exceeded which isn't overwritten when the continuous recording loops.'

The Cam also has a GPS so it records location and the playback software (on phone or computer) shows the Map with a moving 'dot' which matches the location of the car for any point of the video.

One downside - the language on the Cam is in Korean (unless there is a Software update out there already which is expected) - But, the operation is so simple the language doesn't matter.

post-22569-0-11488000-1376753866_thumb.j

• Like 1

You would have to pay the family. I recently hesrd of a Thai who knocked somebody of his bike and killed him. He wss msde to psy thr family

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep. Just pay. That's the way it's done here. Cough up some a fistfull of baht.

I tried to avoid the roads as much as possible. Don't drive on them. Don't walk on them. I only go out when it's necessary.

Either you can levitate or you must be the whitest farang in Thailand

seriously though...although I always try to expect the unexpected.....sometimes I still have some shocks

A lot of these people seem to have a "death wish"

Edited by DD13
  • Like 1

You don't need a good one to save your life, a 2000 Thb is enough, nothing more necessary as I haven't found any that can upload recording automatically to youtube account ?

• Like 1

A decent one does cost... I hope I never need to rely on it. But like medical insurance, I consider it a necessity.

Its very worth the cost - If you can afford a car, you can afford to protect yourself with the dash-cam.

The Cam I have is a BlackVue DR-500GW. It cost 8000 baht. Ordered online from a Thai dealer.

It was simple to install and nestles in nicely behind the rear-view mirror (I don't see it when driving).

I have the power cable running through the roof and door pillar lining to the centre console 12v power outlet, but it can also be hard wired (when hardwired it also records in park mode).

I can connect my phone to it Via Wifi and download recorded videos, or take out the SD card and plug it into my computer. It has 3D G Settings (i.e. up-down, sideways, forwards-backwards) and automatically records a 3 minute 'locked' file when the G Settings are exceeded which isn't overwritten when the continuous recording loops.'

The Cam also has a GPS so it records location and the playback software (on phone or computer) shows the Map with a moving 'dot' which matches the location of the car for any point of the video.

One downside - the language on the Cam is in Korean (unless there is a Software update out there already which is expected) - But, the operation is so simple the language doesn't matter.

Wifi cam ? I never heard about it ? Is it possible to automatically upload to youtube ?

Where did you buy it ?

Thank you !

Edited by bangkokstick

you wouldn't need a dash cam for this one

ramp to the highway is off limits for 2 wheeled vehicles.

A clear traffic sign (one of the few in Thailand) at the start of the actual ramp. So no matter what he is at fault.

• Like 1

Rimmer and I both have dash cams. Mine was 2k. Great shop for them is in Tukcom. 3rd floor I believe, but may be wrong. As you walk up the stairs, they are right in front of you.

I recommend these guys because my cam went dead after 2 months. Took it back and I actually was given a new one! I was in shock. It's now 18 months old and still working fine.

It is interesting what these scooter drivers do. Coming home last night we were about to over take a bike with a side car. No tail lights of course. We weren't going fast and out of nowhere comes another one the other way, passing in our lane! Again, no lights. It was a close call.

A friend hit a scooter while on his bike not long ago. 3 school girls on a bike, no helmets, came right out onto Suk without looking. Ran right into him. One gal was messed up pretty bad. Police cited the school girl, not the foreigner.

• Like 1

Rimmer and I both have dash cams. Mine was 2k. Great shop for them is in Tukcom. 3rd floor I believe, but may be wrong. As you walk up the stairs, they are right in front of you.

You do realise you have a problem with your cunning plan of using a dash cam in Thailand, one suspects if said Farang tried to use such evidence in Thailand with the BiB they will suggest the footage is forged and also charge you for invasion of a Thai nationals privacy...tongue.png

• Like 2

Unreasonable fear of accusations by the police.

Surprised you dare live in Thailand.

I always used to think I was a bit paranoid, until I read some of the posters on TV.

Your partly right, I was in an accident and treated quite fair. But if you read about killer cops and corruption and such its not that stupid to take precautions.

I drive a bike and a car and I am amazed at how car drivers drive and bike drivers. From both stupid things and often bikes (and even cars) have no lights. Its dangerous and they really don't seem to care about it. Those without headlights going the wrong was are crazy dangerous. But on my bike i see a lot of idiot car drivers too.

Face it there is a large part of drivers here that are totally stupid and you have to be careful. I will keep driving the bikes and car and both have their advantages, to those that say cars are more safe I agree but they are also not super safe. My worst accident here was in a car not bike and I make more KM on the bike.

• Like 1

Wifi cam ? I never heard about it ? Is it possible to automatically upload to youtube ?

Where did you buy it ?

Thank you !

I bought the cam online from Monzy Shop

http://www.monzyshop.com/store/product/view/Blackvue_DR500GW_HD_Wi_Fi_Top_Class-23976697-th.html

I'm not sure if you could upload a Video directly to YouTube (I've never tried). But as with any Video file, once you have the file on your computer it can be uploaded or handled anyway you wish.