Open letter of Thai Democrat Party to foreign diplomats

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

****Post containing a derogatory racial slur removed****.

What a badly expressed, ill written and irrelevant load of drivel! This sort of letter to resident Ambassadors in a country is normal diplomatic procedure and this particular one was couched in inoffensive, practical terms that set out the Democrats' position pretty well. Whether you agree with that position or not is irrelevant; whether you consider that this country's system of government leaves a lot to be desired is also your own concern and whilst you have the perfect right to express these opinions, if you can't do so in a coherent and literate way, I suggest you keep them to yourself.

Edited by metisdead
Derogatory racial slur post removed from quoted content.
  • Like 1

If You can't win and election

the Goverment installed by Military coup is unpopular both at home and abroad

Then this is your only recourse. Too Bad Foreign Diplomats don't vote in Thai elections biggrin.png

How embarrassing for the Dems to have to do this....

I seriously doubt they are embarrased by it at all, they have no shame ... blink.png

• Like 2

If You can't win and election

the Goverment installed by Military coup is unpopular both at home and abroad

Then this is your only recourse. Too Bad Foreign Diplomats don't vote in Thai elections biggrin.png

How embarrassing for the Dems to have to do this....

I seriously doubt they are embarrased by it at all, they have no shame ... blink.png

I would think it's quite normal for the opposition to explain why they oppose what has been labeled as a "political reform" when we all know that the PTP/UDD want to be like Cambodia with DL as HS.

Hell! We could soon be looking at the offspring with Shinawatra/Hun Sen DNA!!!!

Correct me if I am wrong (I am sure that someone will), but did not the Dems/yellow shirts shut down Bangkok for a few months, drive the gov out, and close the airport? I am all for law and order, equally applied to all. So, all corrupt cops in Tland must be tried and put behind bars, all pollies with their hand in the cookie jar, anyone who shot at peaceful protests, etc. Justice for all.

If anything creates uncertainty and political risk, it's writing a letter like this to foreign diplomats and dragging them in to the radar screen. Boy oh boy these Thais. They sure know how to think.

THIS letter creates uncertainty and political risk? As opposed to all the silliness happening in Parliament and on the streets? Surely you jest?

I would say that this letter is quite clear. Why would the Dems not send such a letter to the CD?

You should have left out our last two lines. It invalidates your first opinion.

You are basically calling ALL Thai stupid. Many people that work for the Dems are definitely not stupid.

Both sides have caused much damage, not only the reds. If you cannot start with a clean slate because this is the only viable option now, then this debate will go on until doomsday.

Whatever happens after, that will be another issue but there is no way this situation will resolve without starting fresh and before you get on your high horse, don't forget that PAD was the dems political tool before they reached power and deemed them absolete.

Edited by maxme
  • Like 1

I'm not particularly concerned by the Democrat's attempt to state their position. The Democrats are still tainted by the effects of the military coup, so I don't think western democracies will sympathize. The Chinese & Russians will go with whatever side is in theiir best interests. Neither is distressed by allegations of corruption or dictatorship. I do think the Democrats have erred with the timing. With what's going on in Egypt right now, I don't think anyone really cares about the kids acting up in Thailand's sandbox.

• Like 1

Seems quite fair that someone warns those foreigners, who probably know very little about Thailand, that they are being used by the PTP. I am sure many people disagree with the details in the letter, but it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that the invited foreigners have now been warned that they may be walking into a trap. I am sure they are intelligent people, so they can judge for themselves whether to heed the warning or not.

• Like 1

I'm sure foreign embassies don't need any letters from either side to understand what's going as diplomatic cables will be showing and trying to drag the international community into this will be no more effective than the government's reconciliation circus.

Just a random sample of all that is wrong about this "letter";

"The Democrat Party believes that reconciliation begins with sincerity, open discussion among all factions and justice for victims of violence"

"Sincerity"

The Democrat Party are so "sincere" about reconciliation that the head of the party, Abhisit, set up a Truth and Reconciliation Committee with no powers of Sub Poena so that the committee was doomed to fail before it even started

"Open Discussion between all factions"

"Deputy House Speaker Charoen Chankomol has invited representatives of 11 groups to the meeting on Monday to discuss the latest amnesty bill. Mr Charoen said those invited included representatives from the army, the multi-colour groupled by Tul Sitthisomwong and the Bhumjaithai Party.The meeting, he said, was aimed at peacefully putting an end to political conflict and social division and finding acceptable solutions to the pressing problems of the country. If all parties join hands in seeking solutions, it would bring about national reconciliation, he added."

The Democratic Party refused to attend.......................

"Justice for victims of violence"

"Bangkok (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Thailand’s opposition asks administrative court to rule, claiming that the 2bn baht package for victims of recent political unrest is illegal and discriminatory. Yellow shirt spokesperson says Shinawatra wants to compensate her supporters.The Administrative Court is set to rule on whether the cabinet's decision to set up a 2 billion baht (US$ 63 million) compensation package for victims of political violence is legal or not. The government of Yingluck Shinawatra, sister of ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, has in fact approved a compensation fund for victims of political unrest in the country to be paid to the families of those killed, as well as those who were hurt or ''unfairly detained''.

The opposition does not like the idea, and has announced that it would seek a court injunction against the fund."

Not to mention the unknown number of UDD supporters refused bail by the courts for 3 years plus whilst being held under spurious offences like breaking a condition of the emergency decree (e.g curfew time)

Oh and one more thing, "Yingluck was participating in the protests". I shall look forward to the "genuine" photographs of Thaksin forcing Yingluck to stand on top of a pile of tyres as a human shield........................

You mean ("In your humble opinion")

Edited by MILT
  • Like 1

Dear Democrat party,

.... you have illegally taken over Suvarnabumi airport a couple of years ago, and the affected parties haven't gotten their rightful compensation paid yet. So how dare you speak about Human rights, especially while you yourselves aren't so much different than any anti government party. You have outplayed and betrayed-shot yourselves in the foot, and played right into Thaksin's hands, who have learned from your mistakes, and making those work against you, but not only against you, but AGAINST the entire nation of Thailand, leading to even more drastic censorship and nanny state control... dear democrats you don't have any chance anymore in hell to win another elections, and you're sacred Bangkok ONLY Bangkok will soon belong to your opposition, and then it's game over for you, but not only for you,... but for entire Nation of Thailand and the next thing comes civil revolution.... with million kachillians of blood shed....

no matter if you win, then it's the other way around, the Pheu Thai brainwashed will be the Anti-government party and try to storm into your parliament, and this feudal fate will NEVER stop....

Good morning Thailand

And btw, YOU started it, Democrats,... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just a random sample of all that is wrong about this "letter";

"The Democrat Party believes that reconciliation begins with sincerity, open discussion among all factions and justice for victims of violence"

"Sincerity"

The Democrat Party are so "sincere" about reconciliation that the head of the party, Abhisit, set up a Truth and Reconciliation Committee with no powers of Sub Poena so that the committee was doomed to fail before it even started

"Open Discussion between all factions"

"Deputy House Speaker Charoen Chankomol has invited representatives of 11 groups to the meeting on Monday to discuss the latest amnesty bill. Mr Charoen said those invited included representatives from the army, the multi-colour groupled by Tul Sitthisomwong and the Bhumjaithai Party.The meeting, he said, was aimed at peacefully putting an end to political conflict and social division and finding acceptable solutions to the pressing problems of the country. If all parties join hands in seeking solutions, it would bring about national reconciliation, he added."

The Democratic Party refused to attend.......................

"Justice for victims of violence"

"Bangkok (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Thailand’s opposition asks administrative court to rule, claiming that the 2bn baht package for victims of recent political unrest is illegal and discriminatory. Yellow shirt spokesperson says Shinawatra wants to compensate her supporters.The Administrative Court is set to rule on whether the cabinet's decision to set up a 2 billion baht (US$ 63 million) compensation package for victims of political violence is legal or not. The government of Yingluck Shinawatra, sister of ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, has in fact approved a compensation fund for victims of political unrest in the country to be paid to the families of those killed, as well as those who were hurt or ''unfairly detained''.

The opposition does not like the idea, and has announced that it would seek a court injunction against the fund."

Not to mention the unknown number of UDD supporters refused bail by the courts for 3 years plus whilst being held under spurious offences like breaking a condition of the emergency decree (e.g curfew time)

Oh and one more thing, "Yingluck was participating in the protests". I shall look forward to the "genuine" photographs of Thaksin forcing Yingluck to stand on top of a pile of tyres as a human shield........................

You mean ("In your humble opinion")

My opinion is not humble, it's just as valid as yours or anyone elses on this forum, why should I be humble about it? The arrogance is yours in suggesting that my opinion is humble.

I wrote the above - do you think I was writing on behalf of someone else?

Edited by jabek

Dear Democrat party,

.... you have illegally taken over Suvarnabumi airport a couple of years ago, and the affected parties haven't gotten their rightful compensation paid yet. So how dare you speak about Human rights,

<snip for brevity>

At the risk of being boring, that was five years ago (not "a couple"), and it was the PAD (not the Democrat Party), so actually someone totally different.

Just trying to keep the facts straight. wink.png

If you are trying to keep the facts straight it's probably best not to suggest the PAD and the Democrat Party were "totally different".They were not, indeed were inextricably linked in terms of objectives and policy.After the PAD seized the prime ministers office they were visited by both Korn and Abhisit.Korn wrote that the demonstrators were "pure in their beliefs" and called their actions "the seeds of true democracy". Abhisit's foreign minister, Kasit, spoke on the PAD stage after the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport where he said the economic damage from the airport closure was "Thaksin's and the government's fault".Both Anand Panyarachun and Abhisit attended the funeral of a PAD terrorist Police Lt Col Methee Chatmontri who had blown himself up transporting a bomb to the offices of Chat Thai.After the Democrat Party gained power it began to distance itself from the PAD.The links are beginning to strengthen again now with the Democrat Party increasingly dependent on street activity given there is little chance the Thai people will elect them to power.

How extraordinary. Abhisit had a Foreign Minister before he was PM?

• Like 2

Dear Democrat party,

.... you have illegally taken over Suvarnabumi airport a couple of years ago, and the affected parties haven't gotten their rightful compensation paid yet. So how dare you speak about Human rights,

<snip for brevity>

At the risk of being boring, that was five years ago (not "a couple"), and it was the PAD (not the Democrat Party), so actually someone totally different.

If you are trying to keep the facts straight it's probably best not to suggest the PAD and the Democrat Party were "totally different".They were not, indeed were inextricably linked in terms of objectives and policy.After the PAD seized the prime ministers office they were visited by both Korn and Abhisit.Korn wrote that the demonstrators were "pure in their beliefs" and called their actions "the seeds of true democracy". Abhisit's foreign minister, Kasit, spoke on the PAD stage after the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport where he said the economic damage from the airport closure was "Thaksin's and the government's fault".Both Anand Panyarachun and Abhisit attended the funeral of a PAD terrorist Police Lt Col Methee Chatmontri who had blown himself up transporting a bomb to the offices of Chat Thai.After the Democrat Party gained power it began to distance itself from the PAD.The links are beginning to strengthen again now with the Democrat Party increasingly dependent on street activity given there is little chance the Thai people will elect them to power.

If you had reflected for a few seconds before posting it's possible though not certain you wouldn't have made a fool of yourself.Read it again and reflect.

Did I not read recently that PT held a meeting of foreign diplomats and ambassadors to explain their view on the same issue?

Sure I did, and if that is the case then what is so wrong with the opposition also explaining their position?

• Like 2

Dear Democrat party,

.... you have illegally taken over Suvarnabumi airport a couple of years ago, and the affected parties haven't gotten their rightful compensation paid yet. So how dare you speak about Human rights, especially while you yourselves aren't so much different than any anti government party. You have outplayed and betrayed-shot yourselves in the foot, and played right into Thaksin's hands, who have learned from your mistakes, and making those work against you, but not only against you, but AGAINST the entire nation of Thailand, leading to even more drastic censorship and nanny state control... dear democrats you don't have any chance anymore in hell to win another elections, and you're sacred Bangkok ONLY Bangkok will soon belong to your opposition, and then it's game over for you, but not only for you,... but for entire Nation of Thailand and the next thing comes civil revolution.... with million kachillians of blood shed....

no matter if you win, then it's the other way around, the Pheu Thai brainwashed will be the Anti-government party and try to storm into your parliament, and this feudal fate will NEVER stop....

Good morning Thailand

when did the Democrat party take over any airport???????

• Like 2

Dear Democrat party,

<snip for brevity>

It more seems like the Democrats see the PAD as their useful idiot. When Thaksin is in power the Democrats sit at some nice meeting room and shout PAD fight fight.

When they are in power they don't need them anymore. I recall Abhsit tried to accelerate the court cases against Sondhi.

I would say that is even worse than if the Democrats would have done the fighting themself. Pure opportunistic and selfish.

Dear Democrat party,

<snip for brevity>

Oh how clever.You may want to reflect on how long it takes to bring any yellow shirt to being charged for a criminal offense let alone trying to get them in a jail to serve their sentence - remember that double standards arrangement?

Perhaps the relationship would be better illustrated by Abhisits reaction to Kasit being summonsed by the Police (in 2009) for his part in the illegal PAD occupation of the Airport(s). Abhisit reasoned that he (Kasit) didn't need to quit his post and that "he meets the ethical standards set down for ministers" (presumably set very low).

Even the Nation had an editorial at the time that said

"Foreign minister risks conflict-of-interest accusation if he stays on with his history"

I suggest that Abhisit did not "meet(s) the ethical standards set down for ministers" and with picking Suthep as his Deputy (twice) confirmed that and then set it in stone with his future actions.

• Like 1