Cancelling a Work Permit

Hi All,

I left full-time employment back March 2013. I was at the time, and am still currently in Thailand on 1 year multiple-entry a Non-O Thai Spouse visa (and so my visa is completely separate from my work permit).

At the time, my previous employer told me to wait until I'd found a new position, and to take my old work permit, and the new employment contract to the labour office to have my work permit updated.

I've since been working outside of Thailand, and will be unlikely to take up full-time employment here again in the near future.

My question is - should I take my work permit to the labour office and have it cancelled? (since I've not been working since last March).

And are there likely to be penalties for not having immediately cancelled my work permit at the time?

Thanks in advance,

Waters

Why bother, don't waste your time. There are no penalties, I have had many and only one was ever cancelled. They do not talk to immigration. I was there recently to complain that a number of people were working without Non B visas and W.P.'s. Meanwhile I am paying for both. They could not give a S.......

Edited by Colabamumbai

Suggest you go get it cancelled. Do the "right thing" and next time you want one, if you ever need one, you may find that your effort will be rewarded.

I tend to get very worried about the mentality of some "guests" in this country who just think they can get away with being rude and not following the regulations. Wonder how they survive with that attitude in their own country.

What is the procedure for canceling a WP if you are changing jobs?

Do you need to leave the country and come back in on the regular tourist stamp to be able to apply for the new WP at a new job?

Thanks.

Procedure for cancelling the WP is always the same, however there are then two completely different tracks......

1) If you have an Extension of Permision to stay based on working in the Kingdom of Thailand (National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.1), then your extension expires when your stop work/the WP is cancelled; you must leave Thailand the same day (you can then get a new visa or re-enter on a visa exempt to apply for a new WP), but a Non 'B' entry stamp will be required for the new WP to be issued.

2) If you are on a Non Immigrant 'B' 90 Day Visa Entry with a Stamp issued at the border, then this Permssion to Stay (and your Visa) remains valid upon leaving your job along with the cancellation of your WP.

2) If you are on a Non Immigrant 'B' 90 Day Visa Entry with a Stamp issued at the border, then this Permssion to Stay (and your Visa) remains valid upon leaving your job along with the cancellation of your WP.

Thanks. So in this situation, to get the new WP you don't have to leave the country?

1) If you have an Extension of Permision to stay based on working in the Kingdom of Thailand (National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.1), then your extension expires when your stop work/the WP is cancelled; you must leave Thailand the same day (you can then get a new visa or re-enter on a visa exempt to apply for a new WP), but a Non 'B' entry stamp will be required for the new WP to be issued.

Iam 99% sure if the extension/work permit was for a BOI company you still have 7 days to get the <deleted> out.

• 1 month later...

For interest, and as a follow up - I've just returned from the labour office. There was no problem at all in cancelling my work permit - albeit six months after I had resigned. And it 'was' a good idea to do this, irrespective of the delay, since it will make applying for a new work permit in the future much simpler.

Not only were the staff there very helpful, but they were also concerned about my visa status, since in many cases an extension to stay is linked to employment. In my case I'm on an Non-0 Thai spouse extension, and so this wasn't an issue.

They were not at all concerned about the delay in cancelation. And they did not ask to see any other documentation. There is a short, one page form you fill in at that's it.

Thanks for the form digitalchromakey - spot on.