Husband of NSA-leak reporter detained under UK anti-terror law

News_Editor

More on the deceit and lies of The Guardian.

http://wp.me/p3ah7z-dV

You link us to a comprehensive and thorough piece.

He linked to a blog about women's fashion. Incisive!

Louise Mensch is a journalist and ex Conservative MP.

Whilst an MP she sat on the Select Committee investigating the News of the World phone hacking scandal.

I have often disagreed with her views in the past, but found this piece well written and informative.

Instead of belittling the medium she used to publish this, why don't you counter what she has said?

Is it because you can't?

• Like 1

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You link us to a comprehensive and thorough piece.

He linked to a blog about women's fashion. Incisive!

Louise Mensch is a journalist and ex Conservative MP.

Whilst an MP she sat on the Select Committee investigating the News of the World phone hacking scandal.

I have often disagreed with her views in the past, but found this piece well written and informative.

Instead of belittling the medium she used to publish this, why don't you counter what she has said?

Is it because you can't?

\

I don't need to counter it. The authorities, who pressed no charges against the man they detained, and the author of the Law which the authorities say gave them the right to detain the man, have already countered the argument by both word and deed.

Quite right - also, how is this amateurish diatribe comprehensive and thorough?

I understand that 'blogs' have become quite prevalent in the 'media' and are now thought by some to be on par with checks and balances journalism . . . but seriously?

I'll quote some lines that highlight the professionalism of the piece:

"They could have saved David Miranda “He is my partner, he is not a journalist” ‘s ticket price and expenses by, you know, ... "

"Look, boys and girls, you hold politicians to account ..."

And my favourite line of this 'comprehensive and thorough' piece:

"Now I don’t want to do our Fourth Estate’s job for them but it looks like I’m going to have to (again)"

• Like 1

The Real, Terrifying Reason Why British Authorities Detained David Miranda
The scariest explanation of all? That the NSA and GCHQ are just showing they don't want to be messed with.
The incident prompted a major outcry in the U.K. The U.K.'s Terrorist Act has always been controversial, and this clear misuse -- it was intended to give authorities the right to detain and question suspected terrorists -- is prompting new calls for its review. Certainly the U.K. police will be more reluctant to misuse the law again in this manner.
I have to admit this story has me puzzled. Why would the British do something like this? What did they hope to gain, and why did they think it worth the cost? And -- of course -- were the British acting on their own under the Official Secrets Act, or were they acting on behalf of the United States? (My initial assumption was that they were acting on behalf of the U.S., but after the bizarre story of the British GCHQ demanding the destruction of Guardian computers last month, I'm not sure anymore.)

Scotland Yard launch criminal investigation over David Miranda data

Jonathan Laidlaw QC, appearing for Scotland Yard to oppose a legal challenge by Mr Miranda, said: “That which has been inspected contains, in the view of the police, highly sensitive material the disclosure of which would be gravely injurious to public safety and thus the police have now initiated a criminal investigation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10259658/Scotland-Yard-launch-criminal-investigation-over-David-Miranda-data.html

Officers from Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command, SO15, have yet to complete their examination of the material but they believe its disclosure would be “gravely injurious to public safety”, a court heard.

So they have yet to complete their examination but they believe "its disclosure would be “gravely injurious to public safety”. Cart, Horse?

David Miranda wins partial court victory over data seized by police

Police use of data seized from the partner of the Guardian journalist who exposed mass digital surveillance by US and UK spy agencies was partially and temporarily curtailed on Thursday by the high court.
Lord Justice Beaston and Judge Kenneth Parker issued an injunction blocking the government from using or sharing material seized from David Miranda at Heathrow on Sunday in a criminal investigation – half an hour after a Metropolitan police lawyer announced the force had launched such an investigation.
  • Like 1

David Miranda detention shows UK is becoming a police state

The police, the security services and various arms of the Government demand to know what we’re doing and why we’re doing it
The detention, interrogation and confiscation of files from David Miranda at the London airport shows just how determined the security services are to get the upper hand.
Under the notorious Schedule 7 of the 2000 Prevention of Terrorism Act, he was held for nine hours, given the third-degree and threatened with jail.

More on the deceit and lies of The Guardian.

http://wp.me/p3ah7z-dV

A very comprehensive piece...all the way to the end.thumbsup.gif

"we wouldn’t have let a twenty-something hacker with no history of service have access to our deepest intelligence computers, either, and lift intel endangering our spies and our allies’ spies with total ease. If Obama were Bush, the US media would be all over that failure."

• Like 2

David Miranda wins partial court victory over data seized by police

Police use of data seized from the partner of the Guardian journalist who exposed mass digital surveillance by US and UK spy agencies was partially and temporarily curtailed on Thursday by the high court.
Lord Justice Beaston and Judge Kenneth Parker issued an injunction blocking the government from using or sharing material seized from David Miranda at Heathrow on Sunday in a criminal investigation – half an hour after a Metropolitan police lawyer announced the force had launched such an investigation.

It's actually much more partial with very little win.

The high court's injunction authorizes the Home Office and the police to continue to examine the data in the hardware in the protection of national security.

To cite the above link, Jonathan Laidlaw QC, appearing for the Met, said the data Miranda was taking to Brazil for his partner, Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald, contained "highly sensitive material the disclosure of which would be gravely injurious to public safety". There were tens of thousands of pages of digital material, he said.

Again from the above link, Laidlaw said, "Initial examination of the material seized has identified highly sensitive material, the disclosure of which could put lives at risk. As a result the Counter Terrorism Command (SO15) has today begun a criminal investigation. This investigation is at an early stage and we are not prepared to discuss it in any further detail at this stage."

The high court's injunction permits the authorities to "inspect, copy, disclose, transfer, distribute" the data in the protection of national security

Under Schedule 7, UK police can stop, examine and search passengers at ports, airports and international rail terminals. Unlike with some other police powers to stop and search, there is no requirement for an officer to have a "reasonable suspicion" before stopping anyone.

• Like 1

Officers from Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command, SO15, have yet to complete their examination of the material but they believe its disclosure would be “gravely injurious to public safety”, a court heard.

So they have yet to complete their examination but they believe "its disclosure would be “gravely injurious to public safety”. Cart, Horse?

From the material they have examined so far; obviously.

• Like 1

Section 7 is an iniquitous piece of legislation, regardless of the security threat. 7by7 rightly points to the press possibly being involved in whatever was going on, but the criminality of those actions has yet to be proved. For them to destroy hard drives surely shows two things - they've never heard of backups, and they don't want the information to be seen by ANYONE - thereby making criminality impossible to prove or otherwise. NSA, MI5, etc are well-known for using their paranoia to keep themselves in business. The money would be much better spent on educating everyone that fundamentalism is a bad thing - in ALL religions.

• Like 2

If the data is encrypted with a 128 bit key they won't be able to read it. They're making stuff up to put the frighteners on Greenwald and Miranda.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279619

If I remember correctly the passwords, keys, etc had to be given to the police under threat of "jail". In the case of the Guardian's hard drives, they obviously didn't want anyone to now what was on there, so they just destroyed the drives. That must have been some damming information and I hope the backups are well out of reach. ;)

If the data is encrypted with a 128 bit key they won't be able to read it. They're making stuff up to put the frighteners on Greenwald and Miranda.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279619

If I remember correctly the passwords, keys, etc had to be given to the police under threat of "jail". In the case of the Guardian's hard drives, they obviously didn't want anyone to now what was on there, so they just destroyed the drives. That must have been some damming information and I hope the backups are well out of reach. wink.png

That's the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act also passed into law in 2000. You are afforded legal protection under that Act unlike Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act where the authorities can do what they like with you for 9 hours.

Some new information showing the nature of the creeping expansion of the police authority, including divulging information to "others" - presumably CIA/NSA

http://joshuafoust.com/extraordinary-court-statement/

As the author says, it shows that Greenwald and The Guardian, and by extension Miranda, have been lying.

it continues, once again, to dramatically alter our understanding of what happened away from the Guardian’s and Greenwald’s initial version of events.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Detained David Miranda loses legal battle

In his ruling, Lord Justice Laws said: "The claimant was not a journalist; the stolen GCHQ intelligence material he was carrying was not 'journalistic material', or if it was, only in the weakest sense.

"But he was acting in support of Mr Greenwald's activities as a journalist. I accept that the Schedule 7 stop constituted an indirect interference with press freedom, though no such interference was asserted by the claimant at the time.

"In my judgement, however, it is shown by compelling evidence to have been justified."

Lord Justice Laws added that he had to balance press freedom against national security, and concluded: "On the facts of this case, the balance is plainly in favour of the latter."

This should be a message to all people who support traitors that they will have a problem. It should also be noted that they cannot hide behind the cloak of 'journalism.'

Snowden is not British so is not a traitor to Britain.

Why did the British consider it necessary to tell the US what it eas going to do with Miranda?

Why was he deyained under the terrorism law, they have absolutely no information he is a terrorist.

The watchdog also wants answers on why he was detained as it considers this detention highly unusual.

Perhaps they consider his spouse to be a traitor. It's not a big leap to link a traitor with terrorism, by the way.

The supreme law of the land is the constitution.

If someone is a traitor to the constitution, would it be a big leap to link such traitor with terrorism?

• 2 weeks later...

The British government still in bed with the US it seems.

Any Jehovah's Witness would simply say more evidence of the Anglo-American world power at work... On this occasion, they seem to be very correct....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app