A solution to Dead Beat Foreigners skipping out on their Health Insurance.

Issangeorge

Lately there has been quite a bit of controversy over foreigners not paying their hospital bills. I feel the simple solution to this is to set up machines at all International Airports where the arriving passenger will pay 100 baht and get an emergency insurance card. To enter the country at immigration they will have to show this card. With about 15 million, or more tourists arriving at International Airports every year this will give the emergency fund 1.5 billion baht plus. That should be enough to pay dead-beat tourists hospital bills. Note this card is not valid for paying a hospital bill, so the tourist would still have to pay their bill, but if they didnt there would be money in the emergency fund to compensate the hospital.

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should I pay for an emergency medical card (no matter 100 or 1'000 Baht), but not be covered for my medical bills, if any? That sounds pretty stupid for me. Why should I pay for other farang who are either unable or unwilling to pay for their bills? What kind of strange system would that be?

I said it in another thread: Thailand should do the same that other countries (i.e. all of Schengen) require for Thai tourist: Mandatory health insurance from acknowledged insurance companies, otherwise no entry into the country! That would be the easiest solution, would not cause any overhead for the Thai government and it would only be fair, since this requirement would be reciprocally to what Thai's are required to have.

The problem with your solution is not everyone can get medical insurance and thus Thailand would be restricting the tourists they get.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Swiss

FYI, the U.S. does NOT require health insurance to obtain a tourist visa.

Mac

I know that... but I also know from personal experience that US hospitals will NOT treat you until you have paid upfront for the treatment... and that is the big difference, in Thailand you DO get treatment before you have shown money...

Why should I pay for an emergency medical card (no matter 100 or 1'000 Baht), but not be covered for my medical bills, if any? That sounds pretty stupid for me. Why should I pay for other farang who are either unable or unwilling to pay for their bills? What kind of strange system would that be?

I said it in another thread: Thailand should do the same that other countries (i.e. all of Schengen) require for Thai tourist: Mandatory health insurance from acknowledged insurance companies, otherwise no entry into the country! That would be the easiest solution, would not cause any overhead for the Thai government and it would only be fair, since this requirement would be reciprocally to what Thai's are required to have.

The problem with your solution is not everyone can get medical insurance and thus Thailand would be restricting the tourists they get.

And so what? Where is the problem? Why should Thailand not do the same thing Europe does with blocking tourists without health insurance from getting a Visa?

Most, if not all, Schengencountries do not offer a visa-exemption.

If you can't produce a health-insurance you won't get a Schengenvisa.

So, they should start to demand a health-insurance when issueing a visa.

For the visa-exempt: offer the possibility to buy a 15 or 30 day health-insurance before passing immigration.

Can't be that difficult.

So, it's just a tax on all tourists?

Instead of creating another place to queue up why not just add it to the ticket cost?

Would the money be guarenteed to get to the hospitals?[/quote

You could add it on to the tourist visa charge, but then you would be missing all the 30 day tourists.

And so what? Where is the problem? Why should Thailand not do the same thing Europe does with blocking tourists without health insurance from getting a Visa?

No problem if you want to cut down on tourists. I am interested when did Europe start insisting on insurance? Last time I was there I didn't have to show insurance, but that was a long time ago, and I don't need a visa.

What about people who already have insurance? Personally, if it was offered and reasonable, I'd probably buy it anyway, but making it mandatory is a stupid idea, just another pool of cash in the trough into which the pigs will stick their snouts.

• Like 2

Most, if not all, Schengencountries do not offer a visa-exemption.

If you can't produce a health-insurance you won't get a Schengenvisa.

So, they should start to demand a health-insurance when issueing a visa.

For the visa-exempt: offer the possibility to buy a 15 or 30 day health-insurance before passing immigration.

Can't be that difficult.

Agree with you. I was referring to the OP's idea to pay into a medical emergency fund but still not be covered for the bills. Would not mind, if I would have to pay for a health-insurance for my visa-excempt at immigration, if that would cover sickness and accident. It would be less hassle than having to pay firsthand and then reclaim from my home insurance company.

Edited by Swiss1960

Swiss

Mac

I know that... but I also know from personal experience that US hospitals will NOT treat you until you have paid upfront for the treatment... and that is the big difference, in Thailand you DO get treatment before you have shown money...

Not entirely accurate. With few exceptions, even private hospitals must stabilize any person in a medical emergency. That goes 100% for any government facility.

not sure why a lot of people in this thread are of the opinion that only tourists should have the insurance, the proper way to do this is to require all non PR or Thai Citizens to have adequate medical insurance while visiting or living in Thailand...for once the goverment have come up with a reasonably good idea.

As to poster who suggest this is just another pot of cash the Thai goverment can get their snouts into...my question is how so ?....are the Thai goverment in cahoots with all international insurance companies ?

It seems to me that people are suggesting the Thai goverment should set up or administrate this scheme....my question is....why should they...if they pass a rule foreigners need insurance, thats as far as it should go...how and were you get your insurance is not their problem

Swiss

Mac

Not entirely accurate. With few exceptions, even private hospitals must stabilize any person in a medical emergency. That goes 100% for any government facility.

correct, but based on a documentry I saw, at certain hospitals in the US, once the patient was stable and couldnt pay, they were kicking them out the hospital, putting them in taxi's or dropping them off at bus stops...as not to incurr further costs

Swiss

Mac

You are mistaken. Completely mistaken. US hospitals, if they take any government money, must give you care until you are stable. Every hospital takes government money either in the form of grants for equipment or additions, or something as simple as treating patients who are covered by medicare or medicaid so it's virtually all hospitals.

"Stable" includes any emergency surgery and a hospital room with great treatment if necessary.

They aren't even allowed by law to ask if you have money or insurance before you are stable!!!!! Yes, you owe for the treatment but if they can't collect they are out. That applies to citizens and to foreigners.

Every hospital has a government sponsored "charity fund" and at their discretion they can pay your bill from that.

The US has a mighty strange reputation generated by foreigners who don't understand the system. Do you think the US just lets people die in the street?

Gimme a break!!!!

Now, I have heard that Thailand will let you lay there and die without treatment if you can't pay, but I don't know if it's true. I hope not.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Swiss

Mac

lived in Illinios for a few years , and I had t go the the hospital many times and I never paid up front , i either paid after the doctor seen me or they would sent out a bill. not saying other states were the same .

Swiss

Mac

You are mistaken. Completely mistaken. US hospitals, if they take any government money, must give you care until you are stable. Every hospital takes government money either in the form of grants for equipment or additions, or something as simple as treating patients who are covered by medicare or medicaid so it's virtually all hospitals.

"Stable" includes any emergency surgery and a hospital room with great treatment if necessary.

They aren't even allowed by law to ask if you have money or insurance before you are stable!!!!! Yes, you owe for the treatment but if they can't collect they are out. That applies to citizens and to foreigners.

Every hospital has a government sponsored "charity fund" and at their discretion they can pay your bill from that.

The US has a mighty strange reputation generated by foreigners who don't understand the system. Do you think the US just lets people die in the street?

Gimme a break!!!!

Now, I have heard that Thailand will let you lay there and die without treatment if you can't pay, but I don't know if it's true. I hope not.

I don't give you a break but two examples. Yes, US hospitals might not let you die and stabilize you, but that does not mean you get treatmen in non-life-threatening situations without money:

2006, Las Vegas: I stumbled over an iron bar and had a flesh wound on my leg down to the bone. wrapped my t-shirt around the leg, was brought to the nearest hospital by some good samaritians. entered the emergency room, was asked for proof of insurance (which I had through paying my trip with the credit card but could not prove). was told "no proof - have to pay 500$ upfront" - only then did they clean my wound, apply bandages to it and give me anti-biotics, so I could fly back to Switzerland next days.

2009, Florida: one of my employees was in Florida Kite surfing, had and accident, was dragged over the beach and thrown on stone wall. He had a partitially broken neck vertebrate, could not move his legs anymore (pressure on nerves) and was transported into the next hospital. They stabilized his neck, did an x-ray - and then asked for $10'000 to continue the treatment, otherwise they would have sent him back to his hotel... since he did not have the money available, we as a company did send the money to that hospital in order to "motivate" them to continue the treatment.

This, dear friend, would NOT happen to you in Thailand!

Based on a documentry I saw about the US medical system (s)....the answer has to be yes, this is exactly what happened in some of the cases cited...

thumbsup.gif

Now, I have heard that Thailand will let you lay there and die without treatment if you can't pay, but I don't know if it's

true. I hope not.

I know for a fact that one farang who frequented the same bar for years was dragded out into the street when he suffered a heart attack. The altruistic bar owner did then call the police. TIT

The Thais don't have to pay medical bills when they come to the UK so so what if Brits don't pay in Thailand ! (what other countries do is up to them)

Thais need medical insurance to get visa to the UK.

Well all the thais i know living in the UK on settlement visa's don't have Health Ins and Thais i know who have travelled to the Uk recently havn't had Health Ins unless it's a very recent thing !

Swiss

Mac

absolutely wrong for the US and deadly wrong for Thailand, check your fact first!

Edited by Bender
  • Like 1

Requiring insurance, by itself, is unfair! I am over 65 and diabetic; insurance for me is virtually impossible to obtain - and when it is available, the premiums are outrageously expansive. My diabetes is under control and I may be healthier than people much younger but I cannot get reasonable coverage.l

I'm not a fan of Obamacare but even though it requires insurance, it has provisions that will prevent this problem from arising.l If Thailand does require insurance, they should also require insurance companies to provide policies to all comers!

Edited by lanny
  • Like 1

Is this a big problem here? Are bills being run up by tourists? Or long-stay (non-Imm) residents? What is the extent of the problem in baht/year?

I guess if you want to promote tourism, and you're not prepared to offer emergency medical care with a potential collections issue, then you need to require insurance, or fund the deficit with some sort of fee(s). Fees could be collected as, say an extra 1% on top of VAT for hotels, domestic air travel, or embedded in the airport service charge, which is 700 baht (intl) and 100 baht domestic.

I am pretty sure some countries, France for sure, require evidence of health insurance for Thais who apply for a visa. It is relatively easy to get a cost-effective policy.