Minimum budget ?

Lucky420

It's a troll post, akin to 'is it safe on Phuket beaches?'

However, for those more seriously contemplating a low cost vacation on Phuket, my personal advice would be to allow a minimum of 1200-1500 baht a day. That should secure reasonable accomodation, transport, food, and a very very low level of social spending (7/11 beer).

Edited by pagallim

It might be a troll, but do we have to care? If it's not a troll, then we'll have an interesting debate what is the ultimate minimum budget to survive in Phuket. Meanwhile we can help someone out. As well as share ideas how to enjoy life with less money to spend, when the times are tough.

If it's a troll, we still got an interesting topic to discuss. Nothing annoys a troll more that the fact that his topic was carried further and the trolling part was ignored. The troll is lost in that point.

In any case it's better just to concentrate to the topic and the possibilities, unless the troll goes for personal attack towards individuals or groups.

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/Visa-Regular.htm

• Minimum currency required to enter Thailand (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht (per family)

Your post looks like the transit visa requirement....

Try this link....

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/thailand/thailand_tips.html

Tourist Visa....

5. Evidence of adequate finance

(10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family)

Nah 10K is old info, was raised to 20K a few years back.

Yes, but does not mean that you must spend 20,000 baht. Just have funds available e,g, a credit card.

The OP does not need to worry about that 'requirement'. Never asked to prove this when entering Thailand, well maybe if you turned up looking like a vagrant.

Some rules and regulations are implemented specifically to create hoops for workers and visitors from the neighbouring countries. I think the show-me-your-cash requirement is one of them. But they might apply it to a backpacker who wants to enter Thailand carrying all his belongings in a plastic bag.

The only "Thai culture" you will see on Phuket is everyone trying to get their hands on your 10,000 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

What would you recomend then ? smile.png

Well, I see you have put forward a hostel with dorm accommodation in Phuket Town. No problem with that, but the next thing you must consider is transport. How will you get from Phuket Town to anywhere? If you rent a motor scooter, and I advise against that if you are not an experiencd rider in this region, that will be about 3000 baht a month. So, for accommodation and transport you are down 7500 baht out of your 10,000 baht. This leaves you with 2500 baht for everything else, including fuel for the bike.

if i rent a motor scooter for half a month, its 1500. it takes 3 liters per 100km . 3L x 15Days = 45L x 40Baht = 1800Baht

So with 3000baht half my month is with scooter. I can get that extra 3000b.

That leaves me again with 5500 / 30 = 183 bahts for food enough?

If scooter rent is 3000 a month, the rent for 2 weeks will be more then 1500.

Do you have health insurance?

No need to get your clothes washed in 30 days time?

No need for internet?

No need for water, it can be pretty hot at the beach on a towel without shade.

What kind of culture are you going to experience, you cant afford an entrance fee of anything.

What will you be doing after sunset, walking around waiting until somebody offers you a drink?

How do you get from the airport to your "hotel" ?

Edited by FritsSikkink

I always thought it would be stupid to move here and live on 10 000b a month.. Now me and my family have been back home for 9months and i changed my opinion. Being poor in Thailand is much better than living in the shitty west.

Edited by bearpolar

I like how a guy asks if it is possible to only spend 10,000 baht in a month and half the replies in this thread are assuming the OP only has 10,000 baht as his life savings.

OP just wants to know the minimum amount it would take to spend 30 days on the island of Phuket. As a few other people have said, yes 10,000 baht would be the absolute minimum. You would not die. But it is not realistic at all. Your entertainment options would be extremely limited. Vacations are supposed to be fun, right? If you're looking to spend the smallest amount possible, then I would say 20,000 baht would be a more realistic minimum.

If you are staying in an 8 person dorm room, odds are you will meet some nice people and they would probably like to hang out (i.e. go to a restaurant for a meal and drinks). If you are trying to spend as little as possible, you would need to explain that to them. I have met some people like that in my travels and they would tell me their budget so we could go to appropriate places.

I start to believe it's not worth of trying to explain what is traveling to people who are simply eager to be in the destination. Those are two quite different worlds.

Had a friend that lived here until about 10 years ago and he barely got by on 15K and wrote down every single baht he spent. It was a bleak existence even back then when things were much cheaper.

Writing down his expenditure must have been his major form of entertainment.

Where did he steal his pens from?