Pizza in Thailand

luudee

As far I'm concerned the only place in Pattaya worth going to for pizza is the Loaf pizza buffet on Wednesdays. Very good quality and 240B. All other pizza in Pattaya that I have tried is overpriced rubbish, including at the Hilton where it is always cold even when it has come straight from the oven.

I would never order pizza for delivery as it always arrives cold, and if you are going to have to heat it up you may as well just cook a frozen one, which would probably be cheaper and better.

I really dont see the point of posting comments about restaurants that dont include some sample prices. Even the OP's pizza might have qualified as "good" had it cost 150B instead of 500B, so giving the price really is a vital part of any comment, like the location and the name. Shame so few people do it.

The ONLY reason people go there is because it's a cheap all-you-can-eat pizza feed for the balloon chasers. I've tried their pizzas and was not impressed. Only thing good about their pies is the crust which is to be expected from a bakery. The cheese has no taste and the pizza sauce is probably canned. Don't remember much in the way of toppings either.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few people say Mama's Cafe on Soi6 and Beach Rd has the best Italian style pizza in Pattaya. Just happened to be in the ahh neighbourhood and checked out the menu. I believe Margherita was 240baht and then it goes up from there as you add toppings. Haven't tried it yet.

Edited by lapd

Would be a good thing to find. Shame Deli-zza closed in Jomtien! Pictures found still circulating on the net look great!

Stopped by the premises on the weekend and the son (of the father/son team) said they plan to open for delivery only again soon. Can't wait, both pies and sandwiches look very tasty.

Edited by jmccarty
  • Like 1

Try Scoozi Pizza, aroy.

I think he wants advice on ordering real pizza not that fake ass Italian restaurant manged by an all Thai team who would think nothing more then scooping out a slice a lasagna and reheating it in the microwave and serving it to you. Ive watched my dinner sit in "the pass" for eight minutes before coming to my table. Any for cold pizza? Oh thanks!

• Like 1

.... Loaf .....

The ONLY reason people go there is because it's a cheap all-you-can-eat pizza feed for the balloon chasers. I've tried their pizzas and was not impressed. Only thing good about their pies is the crust which is to be expected from a bakery. The cheese has no taste and the pizza sauce is probably canned. Don't remember much in the way of toppings either.

You are wrong about why people go there. Many people go there outside of the 3 hours a week when they do the pizza buffet. I've eaten pizza there ordered a la carte and it tasted equally fine to me. Friends have had other non-pizza meals there and enjoyed them also.

The buffet is better value of course, if unreasonably fattening.

I've had an a la carte pizza there and also a pizza buffet. I don't get the excitement ... coffee1.gif

Another thing, I can't even put my finger on what "style" of pizza they're trying to pull off.

It doesn't seem American. It doesn't seem Italian. I guess it's ... LOAF!

• Like 1

I've had an a la carte pizza there and also a pizza buffet. I don't get the excitement ...

Another thing, I can't even put my finger on what "style" of pizza they're trying to pull off.

I wouldn't say I was exactly excited by it, but as far as I'm concerned it is the best of the extremely low quality and seriously overpriced lot on offer in Pattaya. The buffet has to be the best value in town in anyone's book, I think. It suits me anyway which is all I have to worry about.

As for the style, it seems very similar to the sort of pizzas I used to get in many parts of Europe (not Italy). I liked those well enough and I like Loaf's. The cakes etc. are also exactly to my taste, and are also very much done in a European style.

A Chicago deep pan pizza (or whatever the proper name is) they certainly are not. If they were I would probably be in there much more often, and that would be the end of my so-called diet.

Edited by KittenKong

Anything that is western in origin will be pricey and hit and miss over quality. Cheese isn't something Thais will eat so it is expensive, same with cured meats. Thailand isn't London, Rome or New York so don't expect your pizza to be the same. Eating burgers, fried chicken, pizza and the like in Thailand just seems very strange to me.

The Thai's I frequent generally love cheese, both standard hard cheese and Brie, Camembert, Blue cheeses. Hardly surprising actually, there are some parallels between the stinky end of blue cheese and pla ra :)

Most people on this forum are long time expats who live here for many reasons, not necessarily because they particularly like the food. Cheese may be a little expensive and not as good as in Europe, but I don't think it's as bad as some people say. I like Real Farmers Edam and Gouda, around 400 baht/kg from Foodland, and there are a wide selection of French soft cheeses available in Big C Extra starting around 750 baht/kg iirc.

As for junk food I don't think Thailand is much different from the rest of the world. For great pizza try Hopf on Beach Road, LaBocca in Jomtien or Patrice on the Darkside.

• Like 2

I've had an a la carte pizza there and also a pizza buffet. I don't get the excitement ...

I wouldn't say I was exactly excited by it, but as far as I'm concerned it is the best of the extremely low quality and seriously overpriced lot on offer in Pattaya. The buffet has to be the best value in town in anyone's book, I think. It suits me anyway which is all I have to worry about.

As for the style, it seems very similar to the sort of pizzas I used to get in many parts of Europe (not Italy). I liked those well enough and I like Loaf's. The cakes etc. are also exactly to my taste, and are also very much done in a European style.

A Chicago deep pan pizza (or whatever the proper name is) they certainly are not. If they were I would probably be in there much more often, and that would be the end of my so-called diet.

Not really sure what you mean by seriously overpriced low quality pizzas your referring to...sure there are many but there's an equal number of great tasting keenly priced ones as well. As to the Thais not liking cheese...do you think its just us farangs who keep the thousand or so Pizza Hut/Pizza Company outlets in business?

Another place I like is pan-pan in jomtien... Great sausage pizza around B 240.

The Thai's I frequent generally love cheese, both standard hard cheese and Brie, Camembert, Blue cheeses. Hardly surprising actually, there are some parallels between the stinky end of blue cheese and pla ra :)

Most people on this forum are long time expats who live here for many reasons, not necessarily because they particularly like the food. Cheese may be a little expensive and not as good as in Europe, but I don't think it's as bad as some people say. I like Real Farmers Edam and Gouda, around 400 baht/kg from Foodland, and there are a wide selection of French soft cheeses available in Big C Extra starting around 750 baht/kg iirc.

As for junk food I don't think Thailand is much different from the rest of the world. For great pizza try Hopf on Beach Road, LaBocca in Jomtien or Patrice on the Darkside.

"Patrice"...did you mean Fabrice?

La Grotta is my new go to for pizza on the Darkside.

Yes, Fabrice, sorry, it was late wink.png

I haven't tried La Grotta, basically I really like Fabrice's pizza and he is just around the corner for me, but I'll get around to try it some day. Anyway these were just 3 suggestions that i like, I'm sure there are many more good pizza places in the Pattaya area.

Yes, Fabrice, sorry, it was late wink.png

I haven't tried La Grotta, basically I really like Fabrice's pizza and he is just around the corner for me, but I'll get around to try it some day. Anyway these were just 3 suggestions that i like, I'm sure there are many more good pizza places in the Pattaya area.

for everyone's information only La Grotta is now closed on Mondays

Not really sure what you mean by seriously overpriced low quality pizzas your referring to...sure there are many but there's an equal number of great tasting keenly priced ones as well.

I think that pizza, like Indian food, is just one of those things that is generally way overpriced and of poor quality here. And there is no reason for it that I can see apart from greed. Cheese may cost a little more here but most costs related to pizza production are much lower here than in the West (rent, labour, taxes, other ingredients etc etc). So prices should be much lower here than they are. Indeed I can buy a perfectly acceptable imported frozen pizza at BigC for just 100B, which is about the same price as one locally made slice of less than mediocre quality.

I think I saw one poster make the comment about authentic Italian pizza (like you find in northern and southern Italy) and "American" pizza. I have heard a few Americans who have lived in Italy say that pizza in Italy is horrible :) Well, in a way, I can understand that because you tend to like what "mama cooked." Some pizza places in the USA are fantastic: Pizza Inn, Ci Ci's Pizza, among others. The only place I know that even comes remotely close to the good pizza (yes, "good" as defined by me, an American who likes American-style pizza) is The Pizza Company, specifically, the versions with a lot of different meats and vegetables. The other places tend to serve some canned cheese crap w/ awful ketchup-like sauce on top of a piece of cardboard, w/ hardly any toppings.....yuck! I would love to find a hamburger pizza with mushrooms, onions, black olives and green peppers (sort of like a Philly cheese steak pizza but with ground beef..........no, not ground Thai beef).

I think I saw one poster make the comment about authentic Italian pizza (like you find in northern and southern Italy) and "American" pizza. I have heard a few Americans who have lived in Italy say that pizza in Italy is horrible smile.png Well, in a way, I can understand that because you tend to like what "mama cooked." Some pizza places in the USA are fantastic: Pizza Inn, Ci Ci's Pizza, among others. The only place I know that even comes remotely close to the good pizza (yes, "good" as defined by me, an American who likes American-style pizza) is The Pizza Company, specifically, the versions with a lot of different meats and vegetables. The other places tend to serve some canned cheese crap w/ awful ketchup-like sauce on top of a piece of cardboard, w/ hardly any toppings.....yuck! I would love to find a hamburger pizza with mushrooms, onions, black olives and green peppers (sort of like a Philly cheese steak pizza but with ground beef..........no, not ground Thai beef).

New York Pizza House has meatballs as a topping and you can add what you like to make a cheese burger pizza but they do not have cheddar cheese. Ask for extra sauce though, gives it zing at no extra cost.

I think I saw one poster make the comment about authentic Italian pizza (like you find in northern and southern Italy) and "American" pizza. I have heard a few Americans who have lived in Italy say that pizza in Italy is horrible smile.png Well, in a way, I can understand that because you tend to like what "mama cooked." Some pizza places in the USA are fantastic: Pizza Inn, Ci Ci's Pizza, among others. The only place I know that even comes remotely close to the good pizza (yes, "good" as defined by me, an American who likes American-style pizza) is The Pizza Company, specifically, the versions with a lot of different meats and vegetables. The other places tend to serve some canned cheese crap w/ awful ketchup-like sauce on top of a piece of cardboard, w/ hardly any toppings.....yuck! I would love to find a hamburger pizza with mushrooms, onions, black olives and green peppers (sort of like a Philly cheese steak pizza but with ground beef..........no, not ground Thai beef).

New York Pizza House has meatballs as a topping and you can add what you like to make a cheese burger pizza but they do not have cheddar cheese. Ask for extra sauce though, gives it zing at no extra cost.

I tried their pizza one time and discovered that I am not a fan of their pizza, especially the crust. I also tried spagetti and meatballs there and was hoping for real Italian meatballs, but did not get them. And for some reason they did not give me enough spagetti to make a full meal (hint hint hint for future reference). Having said that, I do know that some people like the pizza at New York Pizza House and their take-away service is good.

Hm no an American pizza place isn't likely to have real Italian meatballs, in fact when I used to live in Italy I don't recall ever to get meatballs wink.png

Are you telling us that there are no meatballs in Italy? Really? I thought that in Italy they served meatballs (1/2 beef mixed with 1/2 pork). My sister married an Italian and his mother taught her how to cook spagetti and meatballs. My sister's husband's mother was, however, "Italian-American," if that makes any difference.

Hm no an American pizza place isn't likely to have real Italian meatballs, in fact when I used to live in Italy I don't recall ever to get meatballs wink.png

Are you telling us that there are no meatballs in Italy? Really? I thought that in Italy they served meatballs (1/2 beef mixed with 1/2 pork). My sister married an Italian and his mother taught her how to cook spagetti and meatballs. My sister's husband's mother was, however, "Italian-American," if that makes any difference.

Yep.

But those large meatballs, doused in marinara over spaghetti are 100 percent American.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2013/06/is-spaghetti-and-meatballs-italian/

Doesn't make it bad.

For example I think American style lasagna with ricotta cheese is nicer than authentic style with bechamel.

Edited by Jingthing

Casa Fellini Pizza in Pattayaland 1 has excellent pizza.

They were open a few months & didn't sell pizza at all because their Italian pizza oven was held up by customs & I understand a few bob was handed over to see it's release.

Has some excellent Italian wines as well but expect to pay a massive premium for them.

• Like 1

I don't get this thread. Pizza is just junk food and yet some here are talking about it like it is some sort of sophisticated foie gras, lamb cutlets or caviar. Pizza is just generic meatfeast, olives, tomatoes, cheese stuff baked in an oven on some dough. Cheap rubbish food for the masses. I think I'll start a thread on the only really classy fast food out there, the esteemed doner kebab......... with chilli, no salad, cheers.

Yep.

But those large meatballs, doused in marinara over spaghetti are 100 percent American.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2013/06/is-spaghetti-and-meatballs-italian/

Doesn't make it bad.

For example I think American style lasagna with ricotta cheese is nicer than authentic style with bechamel.

Agree...that bechamel sauce is nasty stuff, especially in a lasagna.

I don't get this thread. Pizza is just junk food and yet some here are talking about it like it is some sort of sophisticated foie gras, lamb cutlets or caviar. Pizza is just generic meatfeast, olives, tomatoes, cheese stuff baked in an oven on some dough. Cheap rubbish food for the masses. I think I'll start a thread on the only really classy fast food out there, the esteemed doner kebab......... with chilli, no salad, cheers.

That's ok Somchai, we don't all have to get everything on Thaivisa. If there's a topic you don't understand you're free to proceed to next topic, and if you like to talk about doner kebabs I'm sure that's fine too. smile.png

For expats living away from home, comfort foods from home is a big thing. It doesn't have to be foie gras.

Doesn't make it bad.

Agree...that bechamel sauce is nasty stuff, especially in a lasagna.

Nobody is arguing it is good or bad, just that it's not Italian. wink.png

• Like 2

First you said it's great and now you are admitting it's because it's a cheap feed...but the best of the cheap feeds...sigh.

To anyone else wanting good pizza without letting price cloud your judgement...don't go here. You will not like it.

• Like 1

Good cheese and tomato sauce is not common in Thailand. That is the reason for this thread. Most of the Pizza and anything else with cheese/tomato sauce is generally crap in Thailand because most use lousy cheese and tomato sauce to keep the price down.

I realize now about the only way to get good pizza in Thailand is to go to a good authentic Italian place and pay more (still no guarantee) or a place the specializes in pizza like "the pizza company" or "ny pizza". I think those places all import their cheese/tomato sauce.

Edited by lapd

First you said it's great and now you are admitting it's because it's a cheap feed...but the best of the cheap feeds...sigh.

Sigh away, but do try to actually read what I wrote rather than just put your own interpretation onto it.

I said that Loaf has good pizzas and is the best value I know of out of a very overpriced and very poor quality bunch, and I stand by that.

Loaf is the only pizza place in Pattaya I have tried to which I would go on a regular basis and I do this both a la carte or for the buffet. The buffet allows one to try several varieties of good pizza at the same time for about the cost of one a la carte pizza, and this seems like a good deal to me. Given that I only eat pizza a couple of times a month I generally make this fall on a Wednesday.

If you dont like that idea, great. Go somewhere else.