Pizza in Thailand

luudee

I know it's quite fashionable to badmouth Pizza Company's pizza, but I think it's excellent. (And I'm an ex New Yorker of Sicilian heritage.)

I did not say that it tastes bad ! I agree that it can be quite enjoyable !

I'm just displeased with the shrinking the pizzas while raising the cost !

luudee

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no pizza anywhere in Thailand. What passes for pizza here are dribbles on some low quality doah.

Being from NYC I think I can speak about pizza - NY pizza is only available in NYC, even crossing the Hudson River to NJ you lose that NYC quality. One slice of an authentic NY pizza contains more food than a whole pizza in Thailand.

Pizzas origin is not Italian it's from Coney Island boardwalk in the 1940's after the war. Italian immigrants working the boardwalk baked lasagne and other deep dish Southern Italian foods. They tossed some thickened doah onto the bottom of the ovens to catch the drips from the deep dish items - that's what they ate for themselves. Someone eventually started to sell the dripped sauce fallen onto the doah and wella pizza was born. Pizza became a bar-food, an easy way to get a liquor permit as NY law then had it that to sell booze you had to also offer food and pizza was easy and fast. Up until the mid 50's pizza was only available in NYC but gradually it worked it's way to NJ and then westward ho. and eventually found it's way to Italy and 'round the world but the NY recipe was never quite the same outside of NYC.

Please see this link for The History of Pizza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0uKDD-8HxQ

There is no pizza anywhere in Thailand. What passes for pizza here are dribbles on some low quality doah.

Being from NYC I think I can speak about pizza - NY pizza is only available in NYC, even crossing the Hudson River to NJ you lose that NYC quality. One slice of an authentic NY pizza contains more food than a whole pizza in Thailand.

Pizzas origin is not Italian it's from Coney Island boardwalk in the 1940's after the war. Italian immigrants working the boardwalk baked lasagne and other deep dish Southern Italian foods. They tossed some thickened doah onto the bottom of the ovens to catch the drips from the deep dish items - that's what they ate for themselves. Someone eventually started to sell the dripped sauce fallen onto the doah and wella pizza was born. Pizza became a bar-food, an easy way to get a liquor permit as NY law then had it that to sell booze you had to also offer food and pizza was easy and fast. Up until the mid 50's pizza was only available in NYC but gradually it worked it's way to NJ and then westward ho. and eventually found it's way to Italy and 'round the world but the NY recipe was never quite the same outside of NYC.

This must be a joke or you are absolutely clueless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza

New York Pizza is the best quality and value in town. Failing that, try Italy Mate!

Nonsense, pizza 2000 is way better than New York pizza.

I stopped ordering from New York pizza a while ago, not impressed.

Dove è la pizza 2000?

(where is pizza 2000?)

Dov'è .......

As far I'm concerned the only place in Pattaya worth going to for pizza is the Loaf pizza buffet on Wednesdays. Very good quality and 240B. All other pizza in Pattaya that I have tried is overpriced rubbish, including at the Hilton where it is always cold even when it has come straight from the oven.

Never heard of Loaf Pizza. Where is it located?

As far I'm concerned the only place in Pattaya worth going to for pizza is the Loaf pizza buffet on Wednesdays. Very good quality and 240B. All other pizza in Pattaya that I have tried is overpriced rubbish, including at the Hilton where it is always cold even when it has come straight from the oven.

Never heard of Loaf Pizza. Where is it located?

Soi Lengkee location serves pizza:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=623837917633518&set=a.178366915513956.50772.172299136120734&type=1&theater

Don't get overly excited.

• Like 2

I wish I could find a decent pizza in BKK. It cracks me up when I go to the mall and I see these tiny slices at Tops for 40-50 baht. The slice they offer is about the size of a donut and looks about as appetizing as <deleted> on the floor. In Michigan I can get a huge pizza for 250 baht that would provide me with 2-3 meals. Not to mention it is actually HOT, you can't get hot pizza here. I don't know how they justify the price, pizza dough is cheap and the toppings they put on are garbage, not to mention there is almost no cheese and little sauce. Somebody is making a good margin on this crap.

This must be a joke or you are absolutely clueless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza

Well I think he means real pizza not some chewy dough with skimpy toppings. There is (last I knew anyway) a real Italian pizza shop at the entrance to Asok BTS and it is not very good, and its expensive. An American pizza is the only real pizza. But then we are biased.

personally i don't care what it costs if its good

in my book, if its shit, it will still be shit even if its cheap

So you wouldnt be at all bothered to roll up a some restaurant where the pizzas are supposed to be great to discover that they cost 1000B each, and later discover that an equally good one can be had next door for a quarter of that price?

And you see no difference between a good bowl of noodles at 40B and a good bowl at 240B? Or a bad bowl at the same two prices? Odd.

I would hope that a very expensive pizza would indeed be great, but in my experience there is not always any correlation between price and quality and often enough the cheaper places are better than the more expensive ones. Loaf's pizza is a case in point.

When I am thinking about what meal to eat out I want to know three things:

where it is

what it is

how much it is.

The absence of any one of the three pieces of information makes it impossible to compare.

• Like 1

Order from Pizza Hut.

For just over 500 baht.

You will get 2 pizzas chicken wings and a ceases salad, more than enough for 4 people.

You can use the online website, sometimes they have really good deals

Yes agreed and the Pizza Company often also offer good deals with free extras, at one stage you even got a free pizza when ordering one.

It is just more convenient so sit home and get it delivered.

A real good pizza is the pizza 2000, try goggle them, jummy, but never seen any free extras.

but it is inedible <deleted>

Big C extra in Chiang Mai imported frozen pizza from French only 125 bath normal size

Yes.

I sometimes get these for 100B in BigC in Pattaya, and they are better than most restaurant pizzas I have had here at 2 or 3 times the price.

I wish I could find a decent pizza in BKK. It cracks me up when I go to the mall and I see these tiny slices at Tops for 40-50 baht. The slice they offer is about the size of a donut and looks about as appetizing as <deleted> on the floor. In Michigan I can get a huge pizza for 250 baht that would provide me with 2-3 meals. Not to mention it is actually HOT, you can't get hot pizza here. I don't know how they justify the price, pizza dough is cheap and the toppings they put on are garbage, not to mention there is almost no cheese and little sauce. Somebody is making a good margin on this crap.

bella napoli, but then what do you consider pizza?

there are plenty of good pizzas in bkk, but they dont always deliver and they cost.

as for your tops pizza comments, sorry, but that is not even an option

Nonsense. No frozen pizza tastes good.

The bread is dead.

Par-cooked and uncooked bread dough both freeze very well. In fact a lot of "fresh" bread that you get in European supermarkets with bakeries (not the UK style factory sliced loaf, of course) comes from dough that was frozen elsewhere and is just thawed and baked at the point of sale.

One can also get frozen deep-pan pizzas that rise in the oven from frozen. They were my favourite type of pizza back in Europe at about 120-160B for a large one, but I've never seen them here.

Not to mention it is actually HOT, you can't get hot pizza here.

I'm with you on that but actually there are two places in Thailand where you can get hot pizza:

1) Loaf bakery (if you tell them you want it hot)

2) My condo

Proper pizza should arrive on your table much too hot to possibly eat without burning your mouth. Anything else can only be described as cold.

I don't know how they justify the price, pizza dough is cheap and the toppings they put on are garbage, not to mention there is almost no cheese and little sauce. Somebody is making a good margin on this crap.

Absolutely. All the main ingredients of pizza are cheap with the exception of imported cheese, but proper pizza cheese is Mozzarella and Mozzarella is made from buffalo milk and they do have buffalos here. So there should be a way of making decent pizza cheese here at low cost.

It's not the half-dozen thin slices of pepperoni that puts 300B on the cost of the pizza.

But I suspect that pizza, like Indian food, is just absurdly over-priced here for no valid reason at all apart from greed.

Has anyone tried making their own (obviously to their own tastes / requirements??).................Nahhhh, didn't think so!

I used to make my own pizza a lot. Dont bother so much these days as it is easier to stick to my diet if I just avoid it altogether, and making it at home only encourages me to make more.

Last one I had, was pork and orange! Seriously, a bit like Hawaii'n, but better!!!

I always thought that Hawaiian pizza must be the most evil tasting thing on the planet (with the possible exception of Balut), but your pork and orange recipe manages to sound even worse. thumbsup.gif

Has anyone tried making their own (obviously to their own tastes / requirements??).................Nahhhh, didn't think so!

Last one I had, was pork and orange! Seriously, a bit like Hawaii'n, but better!!!

So what's next? Peanut butter and jelly Pizza?.....

I used to make my own pizza a lot. Dont bother so much these days as it is easier to stick to my diet if I just avoid it altogether, and making it at home only encourages me to make more.

I always thought that Hawaiian pizza must be the most evil tasting thing on the planet (with the possible exception of Balut), but your pork and orange recipe manages to sound even worse. thumbsup.gif

You obviously haven't tried Kimchi!!!!!

I have to agree with Luudee's comments about that "Company" and their Pizza.

When we lived here in CNX some years ago, they had a pretty good product but it has now gone down the gurgler. Tasteless, miserable size for the price and their Home Delivery people are a menace on the roads.

Save your money and make it at home.