Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years in Wikileaks case

webfact

Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years in Wikileaks case

FORT MEADE: -- The US soldier convicted of handing a trove of secret government documents to anti-secrecy website Wikileaks has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.

Pte First Class Bradley Manning, 25, was convicted in July of 20 charges against him, including espionage.

In a statement read by his lawyer after the sentencing, Pte Manning said he had acted "out of love for our country".

His supporters have called on President Barack Obama to pardon the soldier or commute his sentence to time served.

Parole in seven?

The 25-year-old defendant, in full military uniform, cut a diminutive, bespectacled figure as he sat in court, tapping his feet and rearranging his papers. But as he stood to hear her words he showed little emotion. And his aunt, Debra van Alstyne, also seemed impassive behind him.

The hush was broken as he was led away. His supporters, dressed in black T-shirts bearing the word "truth", ignored earlier warnings by court officials and the judge to remain calm. Shouts of "We'll be waiting for you, Bradley" and "Thank you, Bradley, we love you" rang out. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23784288

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-08-22

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can get out of jail just in time to apply for social security.

in the U.S. of A. 35 years for Mannings most probably not more than 10 years.

He can get out in 8. Judge could have sentenced him to 90. Lawyer to ask for Presidential pardon tomorrow.

• Like 1

" WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said the sentence was "a significant tactical victory" for the defense. “ Mr. Manning's treatment has been intended to send a signal to people of conscience in the U.S. government who might seek to bring wrongdoing to light," "This strategy has spectacularly backfired, as recent months have proven. Instead, the Obama administration is demonstrating that there is no place in its system for people of conscience and principle. As a result, there will be a thousand more Bradley Mannings."clap2.gif

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/21/us/bradley-manning-sentencing

Was the actual damage to US national security ever proven and what sentencing did US military personnel recieve for those published via video for murder/man slaughter of civilians?

He got a break on the sentencing with just 35 years, could have easily been more. He's eligible for parole in 10, likely would serve minimum of 50% before ever having a realistic shot at a positive parole hearing result.

His best shot would be a free "get out of jail ticket" in January 2017 as President Obama leaves office and has his "Presidential Pardon" party and all types of politically related pardons are granted with some partisan controversy.

Here's a little thread creep.

A note on the whole NSA "scandal", everyone seems to be up in arms about their activities.

One should keep this little nugget of information for thought-The organization was started on November 4, 1952, not as a result of 9/11. They have been doing what they do for many, many years only now with greater capability, so why the uproar? Not a big deal IMHO.

Manning will be in a miltary prison doing hard labor with very strict guards. No matter how much time he ends up doing, he will very much regret violating his secrecy oath.

I don't think either you or I would have the slightest idea what he would regret. Nor what he might have regretted had he not done what he did.

I believe that a man should stand up for what he believes in, and not shut up, simply because the authorities tell him to do so. If he is later convicted for it, then you can imagine that he was well aware that this might be one of the outcomes he achieved.

TL

• Like 1

He will serve his time whatever society mandates, but he can sleep at night knowing he spilt the beans to the World with the debate Worldwide rages on,

He Opened Eyes of the World leaders and made his point.

Let No Man Judge whats right or wrong but have the courage to speak the truth as only he knows.

Ask where is the Gain for lies or for Truth.

We are all in this World Together just think on the Big Picture are we joe public in the dark or light ages

Rest in Peace

Mr Bradley

• Like 2

He can get out of jail just in time to apply for social security.

in the U.S. of A. 35 years for Mannings most probably not more than 10 years.

Not from a military prison, and review board.

Killing someone and being sorry, maybe.

Disclosing national secrets and failing to do you duty?

That wont be taken too kindly in a military environment.

This wont be a soft bodied and soft minded civilian review board.

35 years is too short IMO.

but I'm from a military family.

He is a very lucky traitor. As a soldier it is not for him to question why. In all wars there is injustice to humankind. Back-in-the-day, he would have been shot in the head and his family would live in shame. The real answer is to eliminate the need for war.

He got a break on the sentencing with just 35 years, could have easily been more. He's eligible for parole in 10, likely would serve minimum of 50% before ever having a realistic shot at a positive parole hearing result.

His best shot would be a free "get out of jail ticket" in January 2017 as President Obama leaves office and has his "Presidential Pardon" party and all types of politically related pardons are granted with some partisan controversy.

Here's a little thread creep.

A note on the whole NSA "scandal", everyone seems to be up in arms about their activities.

One should keep this little nugget of information for thought-The organization was started on November 4, 1952, not as a result of 9/11. They have been doing what they do for many, many years only now with greater capability, so why the uproar? Not a big deal IMHO.

It's the creeping powers that are making people more and more against this. The "greater capacity" as you call it. I think any well-meaning individual understands the need for some government and some policing.

And when they put surveillance on the streets in the crime-ridden suburbs you may think it's a good idea. When they next put them on your street, you might still feel it's a good idea, but you're just a little less sure. When they then point them at your house, you might even still think that's a good idea, if they can justify it to you well enough. But it starts you thinking.
When they next put them inside the houses (convicted criminals only at first is the usual method, until they find some other reason to extend it) and then into your living room and bedroom, how will you be feeling?
Don't say it's impossible, because it's already happening, and has been so for many years. Everyone has a point at which they say, "hey, enough is enough, I'm not doing anything wrong so why does someone else feel the need to know my every move? And who has access to this information, and what potentially could they do with it if they are not 100% incorruptible?
And let me ask you, who is 100% incorruptible?
The US government has gone too far, and other governments will follow.
More and more people are taking notice, and it's heroes like Manning who will be remembered whenever and however the reckoning comes.
TL
  • Like 2

He will serve his time whatever society mandates, but he can sleep at night knowing he spilt the beans to the World with the debate Worldwide rages on,

He Opened Eyes of the World leaders and made his point.

Let No Man Judge whats right or wrong but have the courage to speak the truth as only he knows.

Ask where is the Gain for lies or for Truth.

We are all in this World Together just think on the Big Picture are we joe public in the dark or light ages

Rest in Peace

Mr Bradley

In the OWO and NWO. the order is,do what i say,not ,do what i do! stick to this recipe and your governments will love the living shit out of you...giggle.gif

Prior to sentencing:

" Bradley Manning, the soldier convicted last month of leaking an enormous collection of classified documents to WikiLeaks, has said he now regrets his actions and that he was "sorry that they hurt the United States".

"I am sorry for unintended consequence of my actions. When I made these decisions, I believed I was going to help people, not hurt people," Manning told his sentencing hearing, in an attempt to receive a reduced sentence."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/14/bradley-manning-sorry-leaks-hurt-united-states

Perhaps this helped the hero get only 35 years?

• Like 1

Manning will be in a miltary prison doing hard labor with very strict guards. No matter how much time he ends up doing, he will very much regret violating his secrecy oath.

I don't think either you or I would have the slightest idea what he would regret. Nor what he might have regretted had he not done what he did.

I believe that a man should stand up for what he believes in, and not shut up, simply because the authorities tell him to do so. If he is later convicted for it, then you can imagine that he was well aware that this might be one of the outcomes he achieved.

TL

Seems so incredible to me !

It is so useless to fight US, why doing it ???

Why would anyone in their right mind trust a society to give you a fair trial when those in charge see nothing morally wrong in trying to cover up the murder of two innocent journalists ?

Dude, I notice you talk A LOT

back up very little...........blink.png

Not disputing you..... just say'n, that's all......

Well I'm very surprised that you comingfrom a military family and you don't remember this…….ermm.gif

5. The U.S. Government withheld information about the indiscriminate killing of Reuters journalists and innocent Iraqi civilians.

http://dancewater.blogspot.com/2013/07/in-honor-of-bradley-manning.html

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

Any military out there familiar with their court system? Parole is no longer available at the federal level, hasn't been for two decades, so I'm assuming, based on his attorney's comments, that imprisonment in the military goes by a different set of rules?