Yellow Book and Insurance

FredLee

We checked at our amphur a couple of weeks ago and they said we could not get insurance with a yello book.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I also re-iterate that you can not get free Health insurance any more. I had this this facility card given me a long time ago and now I tried to use it because of my age since I can no longer get insurance. They told me that now they are not letting foreigners use this service any more. However I was told because I already have the card that I can still use it only at the small hospital that I was registered but no-where else even for a refferal. But this Hospital has very limited facilities and very little medicine so without a refferal it is not much use. I now have moved to another district and I am told that they will no longer allow foriegners to transfer to another hospital where they live. Basically they are trying to stop forieners fron using th cards that were probably issued to them in error by hospitals that were not fully aware of the procedures. And they will not issue any more. I was told this by the Hospital manager a week ago when I tried to transfer my card to another hospital where I live,

We checked at our amphur a couple of weeks ago and they said we could not get insurance with a yello book.

I also re-iterate that you can not get free Health insurance any more. I had this this facility card given me a long time ago and now I tried to use it because of my age since I can no longer get insurance. They told me that now they are not letting foreigners use this service any more. However I was told because I already have the card that I can still use it only at the small hospital that I was registered but no-where else even for a refferal. But this Hospital has very limited facilities and very little medicine so without a refferal it is not much use. I now have moved to another district and I am told that they will no longer allow foriegners to transfer to another hospital where they live. Basically they are trying to stop forieners fron using th cards that were probably issued to them in error by hospitals that were not fully aware of the procedures. And they will not issue any more. I was told this by the Hospital manager a week ago when I tried to transfer my card to another hospital where I live,

Our friend works at our local hospital in admin. We went there. She said you are not on our PC system because your six numbers begin with an 0. She went to see the boss and he said ''no can do cos of that number, IF that number began with a 5 or 6 we could accept you''.

I have been living here for over 30 years and have never heard of a certificate of residence or never once been asked for one, My driving licence gets me into parks etc at the Thai ;price and my passport with retirement visa is all that is reqired for any banking and other requirements.

If you have a Thai driving license then you must have proven your place of residence that is entered on the license., either by Immigration paper, or a paper from your country embassy, or a yellow tabian baan, or a Work Permit.

I was on my wifes blue book then.

Thanks for sharing this, Gamini. This is exactly the situation for some other foreigners -- yes, they do receive "free Thai health care", but it's only at a poorly equipped local hospital. Unfortunately, some of these people either have never checked out the restrictions like Gamini has and/or they're in denial. They're in for a rude, and potentially life-threatening awakening when they try to self-refer to a higher level government hospital. What's even worse is that some of these folk continue to perpetuate the myth that a foreigner can get free health care simply by having a yellow book -- after all, they're getting it, aren't they?

• Like 2

When I first married in Thailand, I enquired about the possibility of getting on her Blue Book. I was told, yes that is possible. Please wasit 3 years without leaving Thailand; then apply for Residency Permit; wait 3 more years, learn Thai perfectly; make an application every year until your are accepted for Thai Citizenship. And some comment about the evil one learning to ice skate...

So... instead of waiting for hell to freeze over, I got a Yellow Book. No illusions about its value. Useless? Pretty well so (no, no freebie health care; no Thai-rate entry to Parks; not much of anything actually - but it DOES save the requirement of getting a residency certificate when such may be required (buying a car, original [first] driver's license, etc,). Needed that once in 5 years....

Nice colour though....

You are on your wife's BLUE BOOK (Tabien Baan?)

I was on my wifes blue book then.

That would be the 1st time I have ever heard that was possible

Thanks for sharing this, Gamini. This is exactly the situation for some other foreigners -- yes, they do receive "free Thai health care", but it's only at a poorly equipped local hospital. Unfortunately, some of these people either have never checked out the restrictions like Gamini has and/or they're in denial. They're in for a rude, and potentially life-threatening awakening when they try to self-refer to a higher level government hospital. What's even worse is that some of these folk continue to perpetuate the myth that a foreigner can get free health care simply by having a yellow book -- after all, they're getting it, aren't they?

I would suggest that all farangs put a substantial amount of money into a fixed interest account and leave it there for medical expenses.

Each year watch it grow and you will also save the insurance premiums each year which you could also add them to the account each year.. Then when or if you need some medical treatment draw on it .Get one of the accident insurances to cover you for any small accident they are cheap enough to get.. At the end all farangs are going to be without insurance due to age at some point in there lives.

Even uninsured Thais can't self-refer to a higher level government hospital. They have to present where they are registered and if their needs can't be taken care of there, possibly they can be referred to somewhere like Suan Dok if they live in Amphur Muang. If they don't live in Amphur Muang, Nakhornping may be the option.

My understanding is every one in a household registration book was put into the universal healthcare system when it started in 2000, as I was. This was before the 2008 Civil Registration Act that for the first time obliged district offices to register all foreign temporary residents in their districts excluding tourists. Before that law came into effect it was rather difficult to get a yellow book, as district offices were entitled to refuse requests for them and did. I think that the large numbers of foreigners getting yellow books in recent years somewhat understandably made them rethink things and, for the most part, re-interpret the Health Security Act as applying to Thai citizens only. Why district offices seem to be allowed discretion to register some foreigners, if one of those Thai mysteries. I was told at my district office that not even PRs with blue books can be registered these days. Weird system.

On my next appointment in September,I need to renew registration,

my name is in the system and you have to renew every 12 months,

I just hope nothing has changed.I also have BUPA,but that does

not cover outpatient or medicine, also so many exclusions,you

wonder what you could actually claim for,if you have hypertension and

you fall ill ,they could say that illness is the result of hypertension,

and it would not be easy to prove it was not,I trust Insurance co.,

about the same as I trust the banks,the fine print always works

in their favour.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

On my next appointment in September,I need to renew registration,

my name is in the system and you have to renew every 12 months,

I just hope nothing has changed.I also have BUPA,but that does

not cover outpatient or medicine, also so many exclusions,you

wonder what you could actually claim for,if you have hypertension and

you fall ill ,they could say that illness is the result of hypertension,

and it would not be easy to prove it was not,I trust Insurance co.,

about the same as I trust the banks,the fine print always works

in their favour.

regards Worgeordie

Hypertension will rule you out of most causes of illness as will high cholesterol; levels. If you have had these problems in the past and have been treated for them then in my opinion your treatments on any insurance will be very limited in what the insurance company will be willing to pay for.

Free health insurance is only for Thais and permanent residents. Quite frankly I can't see any beneifit of having a yellow housebook and it it is certainly not "coveted" by any expat who has been here long enough to know that it gives no avantage over those who dont have one.

It has the advantage of never needing to go and obtain a certificate of residence, so that is definitely one more advantage than zero. Perhaps I haven't been here long enough to understand though!

Not all government agencies will accept it or give you Thai price for admission. (Fact)

Which are the government agencies that will not accept it I have not come across any up to now that do not accept the yellow book.

Sukhothai Historical Park and some LTD's (DL) are no goes. As long as you stick to the metropolitan areas you should be OK but when get out of these you start seeing the real Thailand.

Free health insurance is only for Thais and permanent residents. Quite frankly I can't see any beneifit of having a yellow housebook and it it is certainly not "coveted" by any expat who has been here long enough to know that it gives no avantage over those who dont have one.

I thought that with THE book your wife cant have the BIB throw you out when she throws one.. I know that when you go to a national park and show THE book you pay the thai price and not the farang price happy days as the cashier don't like it..

Thai drivers license works just as well for getting Thai prices at parks and other places where admission is on a two-tier system.

Hi gamini, I am afraid you are wrong, I have a yellow book and get free treatment,tablets,examinations,and blood work done every month,

at my local Government hospital, and I rate it better than Lana hospital,the Nurses,Doctors are very friendly and helpful,and seem to take

a real interest in my problems, while the Dr. at Lana,was not happy at all when you did not buy the medicines from their dispensary,at

inflated prices.

So I am one Expat who coverts his yellow book,

regards Worgeordie

Please advise ,what documentation do you need before applying for this book? Thanks in advance.

Hi gamini, I am afraid you are wrong, I have a yellow book and get free treatment,tablets,examinations,and blood work done every month,

at my local Government hospital, and I rate it better than Lana hospital,the Nurses,Doctors are very friendly and helpful,and seem to take

a real interest in my problems, while the Dr. at Lana,was not happy at all when you did not buy the medicines from their dispensary,at

inflated prices.

regards Worgeordie

Please advise ,what documentation do you need before applying for this book? Thanks in advance.

No two amphurs in Thailand have the same requirements. The only thing in common is they all require a certificate of residence(in Thai) from immigration. Best you go visit YOUR local amphur office and verify with them their requirements.

• Like 1

inflated prices.

regards Worgeordie

Hi Hugh Jarse, Yes you better go check at your local Amphur ,and ask what paper work they require,as they all seem to have different requirements,and the yellow book they issue now ,does not have the Health coverage ,they stopped that.so only has limited uses now.

regards Worgeordie