Been in Thailand for about 3 weeks now... My overall thoughts...

Neo6

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. You are the young affluent European visitor that the TAT is trying to attract (without them doing anything to the country to improve your experience).

I like your post because you said I'm young laugh.png

I don't feel that young any more! Will be 29 at the end of this month sad.png

I've been in Thailand for a few weeks. It seemed like many people enjoyed BKK for its energy, while I liked Samui for the nice beaches and good meals. We then went more south, and it was in a very remote part of the country. My gf is enjoying the time to relax, on our vacation. Our next stop, Chiang Mai, likely offers a great opportunity to experience the northern culture.

That probably would have been my exact post if not for all the crap added by messing up the trip and going to Phangan and Ko Lanta

I've been in Thailand for a few weeks. It seemed like many people enjoyed BKK for its energy, while I liked Samui for the nice beaches and good meals. We then went more south, and it was in a very remote part of the country. My gf is enjoying the time to relax, on our vacation. Our next stop, Chiang Mai, likely offers a great opportunity to experience the northern culture.

That probably would have been my exact post if not for all the crap added by messing up the trip and going to Phangan and Ko Lanta

well, that is good to hear.

relax, enjoy, and best of luck during the rest of your trip.

CM is my favorite place, and I hope it is yours as well.

smile.png

• Like 2

This man has NO travel experience, and he will not learn it. Staying at 5 star hotels and then complaining that it was not cheap... I have been many times to Thailand and lived there also, as a couple we travel around the country by bus, visiting also neighbouring countries, eat well, stay at nice guesthouses or hotels, and all this we do with less then 1000 US$ per month, occasional flights not included.

Ah well, it just proves the old saying: "You can't please all the people, all the time."

Just to make up for it, I understand there are some very special deals going for Egypt right now, so hurry and enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

Did you ever study your homework at school properly,or just glance and say i know what i am doing.

Pass results A,B, or failed.

Thailand is a place of dreams if you know how to live them.Its a great place and the Thais are good people.Try Vietnam next time,,,,,,,,,the traveling is awesome???

Each for there own in this world we live in.

So what are you saying? I didn't plan properly? I am pretty confident I planned more than most people do when they go on holiday, but okay, whatever you say bud...

Yes everyone says Thailand is incredible, a place of dreams, etc. I get it. I'm just giving my experience being here the last 3 weeks... I've said multiple times the Thai people are nice, I have nothing against them.

Seriously some people are beyond defensive saai.gif

Everyone's ''Land of Dreams'' or ''Holiday of Dreams'' is different. I live in LOS but I love a holiday cruising the UK Norfolk Broads. LOS is a land of many things that for sure will not fill everyone's expectations if you want perfection in certain departments. One must go with the flow and adjust, same as any country that is new to you, or me.

on a V8 narrow boat/barge Trans?

You will have spend over $20,000 and have only enjoyed about half your trip here. While backpackers come here on less than $2,000 and have the time of their lives and can't wait to return. Seems like you touch on every bad point about Thailand. Will the jet ski scam be your next topic? Seems more like a troll than a unhappy customer.

• Like 1

Bangkok rated best travel city.Koh Phangan I loved it.Um Chiang Mai, bad air.Ya should check Issan area. Korat,Khonkaen,Udonthani and Nongkhai. I go to thailand for A month at A time. I spend $3000 . I don't have A family.I can actually live there for 1000 baht A day.

Did you ever study your homework at school properly,or just glance and say i know what i am doing.

Thailand is a place of dreams if you know how to live them.Its a great place and the Thais are good people.Try Vietnam next time,,,,,,,,,the traveling is awesome???

So what are you saying? I didn't plan properly? I am pretty confident I planned more than most people do when they go on holiday, but okay, whatever you say bud...

Yes everyone says Thailand is incredible, a place of dreams, etc. I get it. I'm just giving my experience being here the last 3 weeks... I've said multiple times the Thai people are nice, I have nothing against them.

Seriously some people are beyond defensive saai.gif

this is where i think you went wrong, too much planning, and no attempt to stay in one place to make it work. Also, no reliance on yourself to make the best of thing, rather you were shuttled around for your entire holiday like cattle.

• Like 1

Bangkok rated best travel city.Koh Phangan I loved it.Um Chiang Mai, bad air.Ya should check Issan area. Korat,Khonkaen,Udonthani and Nongkhai. I go to thailand for A month at A time. I spend $3000 . I don't have A family.I can actually live there for 1000 baht A day.

Chiang Mai = bad air. How's that then, other than March (which its not!) it is far cleaner than Bangkok or many cities in Asia. Can't be much of a holiday on 1,000b a day! (room and food only)

• Like 2

Good and honest summary so far,

My first trip could have been tit for tat,

I had too many stops on my itin which was fatiguing,
being in constant travel mode never could get settled in,

Eventually I separated the wheat from the chaff,

Good luck up north.

• Like 1

Seriously some people are beyond defensive xsaai.gif.pagespeed.ic._HvUA8p60E.webp

You're too focused on your "Plan". Throw your plan in the bin, relax, slow down and just have your holiday. Look at what is and not expect what you think should be.

• Like 2

Are you a troll ? whistling.gif

Anyone who looks for top end accommodation etc and moans about 1000bht, that's 20 English quid, for dinner for 2 is having a laugh. rolleyes.gif

Do you know how much it costs to get in the USA Disney land or world. Did you not remember in the USA at a restaurant they add on 15% service charge whether you like it or not. facepalm.gif

My point was Thailand is not cheap. Everyone always gives this impression it is and it's simply not.

I'm not complaining at a $30 meal for 2, I understand that might be the going rate these days... I was simply pointing out that Thailand is not cheap, that's all

Dont see how you can say Thailand is not cheap. Can you have a nice dinner for two for $30? Also obviously if you are paying $30 for a meal it's in an air condition restaurant. You want real Thailand you need to get out and eat some street food. Will cost you $2. I been living and working in Thailand for almost 20 years. When I go to the US I see how cheap Thailand is. The problem is you are not seeing cheap Thailand as you are still eating western style. Your trip being a failure is two fold. First you planned your trip on advise of others as you asked strangers on forums what they like. You need to plan for what you like. Some people hate the beach, some love it, and some think it's just ok. You are staying at a resort on a beautiful island and instead of enjoying the scenery and relaxing you are driving around looking for Thailand that is in our mind. Something you dont know what that is, but something that will amaze you but you dont know what will amaze you so how can you plan for it. Second sounds like you don't really like to travel or don't have much experience on how to travel. I'm not trying to put you down just pointing out that if you dont travel that much and therefore dont have much experience in traveling moving from place to place is a chore. So for yourself you planned too much moving around.

Anyway I think you are looking at things the wrong way and looking for something you will never find. You need to reevaluate your position and kick back and enjoy where u are that some people only dream about coming too.

From reading your post I too dont know exactly what you are looking for. You didnt really care for Bangkok, dont seem to like the beach. Maybe you should have planned to visit some temples. While in Chang Mai you can visit Doi Suthep temple maybe you will like that. Going to Pai is going to be I believe 2 maybe 3hr drive I cant recall have not been there in about 4-5 years. This is a sleepy little town, mostly back packers. Some decent restaurants. You do need to rent a bike can get out and around and check things out. Not allot to see there but it is very nice scenery. But again it all depends on what you like. I hope you find what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Maybe you'll have more fun up here in CM when you get to that part. I live here, so don't do the holiday planning much any more. However, when I did used to come on holidays, I always spent most of my time up north (CM and above) - Ayuttaya on occasion (the old capital) but only for the temples and old palace (did that water park ever open????). I think real tourists (like you - as opposed to those that just come for the booze and sex - or to sit in a spa/hotel/resort for the entire time by a pool) tend to be either beachbums, sightseers or sporties (my names for them). The former love the islands and beach places like Pattaya, Bangkok, Hui Hin, Phuket, the Kohs, etc. The second like to back pack travel about - these people like Ayutaya, the north generally, Kanchanaburi (death railway/bridge over the river kwai/pow graveyard) and quick visits to places like Mini-Siam (Pattaya), Old City(Bkk), snake/crocodile/silk/butterfly/orchid farms (everywhere). The latter like white water rafting and trekking (Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai) and diving (see beach areas).

So depends what sort you are - and you should have planned your holiday accordingly. Guest Houses and smaller hotels are often much more fun here in my view - you meet more interesting people (if any in 4/5 star hotels) and often nearer to the life.

Where are you staying in CM? Plenty to see up here - lots of tours to do and stuff to do in the city itself (new shopping mall too as that was your Bkk highlight lol!)

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

We are staying in Bodhi Serene hotel in Chiang Mai for 3 nights (it's very central) and then going to Pai for 2 nights (staying in Pai Island Resort) for a total chill out. Knowing what I know now I probably would have stayed at least 7 nights in the North instead of 5, to allow a bit more flexibility with travel.

I had down the Baan Chang or Thai Elephant Conservation Centre and also Tiger Kingdom, all of which are meant to treat the animals very well

defiantly tiger kingdom and stay for lunch, maybe Chang Mai Zoo to see the pandas although the rest of the place is fairly pedestrian, hope you get to enjoy the North.

I think the best thing you can do when you are holidaying in Thailand is leave your expectations behind and just take the ride.

I was lucky, my gf is originally from Thailand and her family took us to the River Kwai, the amazing Buddha Statues at Wat Phai Rong Wua etc. I visited umpteen beautiful temples and climbed to one at the top of the hill on Ko Larn. 250 steps in a heavy heat but it was worth it.

The hotel I stayed at in Bangkok was fairly cheap but quite posh, clean and professional. The name alludes me at the mo but it was just up from Lumphini Park on Soi Lang Suan.

It's a shame you were at the park when a demo was taking place, I spent a Monday morning walking around trying to avoid the giant lizards that live there. Nice and relaxing.

I also had some great price hotels in Pattaya, very clean and professional with great swimming pools. Especially the one on the roof opposite Big C. Nothing like a swim under the stars

Sounds like you planned for someone else's holiday. I booked all the hotels via Expedia.com. I ignored all the very negative and positive reviews and concentrated on the run of the mill comments. Much like you should do on here mate ;-)

• Like 1