Innocent & gullible biking farang newcomer.....

Overandout

As this is my first post on the forums I thought I'd start here, amongst the bikers...

Just arrived in Bangkok this month from Madrid (lived there for 9 years) and have bought an ex-colleague's CBR 150 to get about on. (I think I need to get an apartment to be able to transfer it into my name though).

I'm trying to convince myself that it's a sensible choice for Bangkok, but in reality I know I'm going to hate it after owning a GSXR 750 (well two really) for the last 12 years.

So tomorrow I'm going to the Spanish embassy to try to convince them to certify a translation of my driving licence so that I can try to get a Thai one.

I'm assuming (from a lack of information to the contrary) that a bike licence in Thailand is not graded by any size / bhp restrictions, i.e. I can take my test on whatever mule the test centre has and go out and ride a Hayabusa right?

Also, any advice on insurance? where to go, how much to pay and the like?

Sorry if I'm repeating the same old newbies' questions but I've been reading search results from this fórum for an hour already!

Hola, bienvenido al foro

CBR150 is better than a scooter. Be happy.

Doubt if a translation will matter. Just go to DLT and show em what you got. You will get a 1 year license first.

"I can take my test on whatever mule the test centre has" You will be bringing it....a CBR150 I believe.

3rd class plus will give you basic cover, bail bond to 200k and some money for repairs if you need them.. My wife paid it for the PCX150 and it was 1599 baht I think.

I just went to the licence centre near On Nut station, and had my Aus. licence magically transformed into a Thai licence.

Had to do a few odd practical reflex/eye tests in a room with some ancient equipment in it.

But no riding at all. I don't know if this depends on the country of your licence or not?

Good luck and my advice would be to get around on the CBR150 until you work out where you are gonna live/work/ride etc,

and then start hunting! The bigger bike market is growing by the day and is loads better than it was only 6 years ago.

Thanks for the clarifications.

I'll be glad if I only have to do the eye and reflex tests.

And yes, I do have the green book for the bike, in the last owner's name. I also have a power of attorney and copies of his documents and I have a blue book work permit, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can transfer the green book into my name without too much hassle.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

there are no restrictions on thai licences, bike licence is a bike licence, you can ride any size. Hopefully they will change that in the future for beginners now more and more large bikes are available.

OK, so that's all my doubts answered. Thanks a lot to all.

I'll go ahead with translating the Spanish license now that I've requested it from the embassy and get myself mobile next week hopefully!

I'm getting withdrawl symptoms already, I haven't ridden a motorbike since 24th July, exactly one month...

CBR150 is better than a scooter. Be happy.

Says the man who is complaining about lack of storage on a biketongue.png Some scooters have room for two helmets worth,

But the other guy isn't complaining in the way I can complain!

I've had 60 years to perfect my whinging, whining and complaining.

In fact he wasn't complaining at all....was he???

Don't forget to take a doctor's note when you go in for the license.

It can be from pretty much any clinic, just tell them you're going for a driver's license and they'll know what you need.

Should cost about 50-100 baht depending on where you get it.

If you've got that, your passport, driver's license, and work permit, there shouldn't be any problems.

OK so I have my licence !!

Also got my car licence at the same time. No driving test required, just the 4 simple colour blindness / reaction / dexterity and peripheral vision tests, all done in 90 minutes.

BUT, I asked about my green book and what I needed to do for the transfer and was told that the tax hasn't been paid for 2012 or 2013... but that should only be a few hundred baht. Also I seem to need some kind of inspection / MoT test done and to pay the compulsory insurance, all before I can get the green book in my name...

I was told that there are shops that can do all this for me, but not all bike shops. Can anyone recommend a place in Bangkok (Sukhumvit or Rama IV area) ?

So...

Asking around my office about where to go to get the inspection done so as to be able to pay the tax, a Thai colleague says "ah you don't want to be messing round with long buraucratic processes, I can make a call and get the inspection done, tax paid and green book transfered into your name for 2500 baht.... just bring the bike here so they can take the frame and engine numbers and pay the guy. In 2 days you get the tax sticker, and all the docs in your name.....

Seems expensive (and possibly a bit of a "Thai" way) to do things though.... so as I am a new comer and very green in these matters... what's the general forum consensus... pay for the "easy way" or try to do it myself?

So...

Asking around my office about where to go to get the inspection done so as to be able to pay the tax, a Thai colleague says "ah you don't want to be messing round with long buraucratic processes, I can make a call and get the inspection done, tax paid and green book transfered into your name for 2500 baht.... just bring the bike here so they can take the frame and engine numbers and pay the guy. In 2 days you get the tax sticker, and all the docs in your name.....

Seems expensive (and possibly a bit of a "Thai" way) to do things though.... so as I am a new comer and very green in these matters... what's the general forum consensus... pay for the "easy way" or try to do it myself?

Yes most towns have that service.

It is legit usually & just a service.

Your right though that you can do it cheaper.

I do not know Bangkok but here in Chiang Mai

The Motorcycle reg place is right next door to many shops selling the compulsory govt insurance.

So find your motorcycle motor vehicle office

You will likely see little shops selling the insurance right next to it.

Buy the insurance first

Then proceed to the motorcycle reg place to pay back tax get the inspection & the green book updated.

I believe that little inspection they told you some shops do can be done right there at the DMV

Dont forget you need paper from the previous owner to transfer too

So...

2500 thb is too much for this.

just check the shops with traffic signs, they can do it cheaper than 2500 thb sure.

Semi-related so I thought I'd ask here:

What exactly does the "inspection" entail? Is it an emissions test or do they just look the bike over and say, "yep, it's safe to drive!" end of story?

I ask because I've got an old Kawasaki KR150 that the registration has lapsed on. I have the green book, a signed copy of the original owner's ID card and a couple other signed forms, but tax hasn't been paid in 6 or 7 years so I'm wondering how big a headache it would be to get it legal again.

Semi-related so I thought I'd ask here:

What exactly does the "inspection" entail? Is it an emissions test or do they just look the bike over and say, "yep, it's safe to drive!" end of story?

I ask because I've got an old Kawasaki KR150 that the registration has lapsed on. I have the green book, a signed copy of the original owner's ID card and a couple other signed forms, but tax hasn't been paid in 6 or 7 years so I'm wondering how big a headache it would be to get it legal again.

I am not sure myself but what I saw at the local DMV was not the big emissions type test.

Looked more like just a walk around & check serial number matched documents etc.

talking about emission test, last week have encountered a bid police stop in Ratchaphruek Road in Bangkok and there were guys with a hose connected to a computerized machine inspecting some cars, trucks and bikes for emissions. God knows how much you have to cough to police.

They did not stop me but seen it first time in Thailand, what i can see they are getting more imaginative to get money!

just beware guys!

talking about emission test, last week have encountered a bid police stop in Ratchaphruek Road in Bangkok and there were guys with a hose connected to a computerized machine inspecting some cars, trucks and bikes for emissions. God knows how much you have to cough to police.

They did not stop me but seen it first time in Thailand, what i can see they are getting more imaginative to get money!

just beware guys!

Wow

They should pull over any tuk-tuk or red truck taxi as the smoke off of those are

pretty harsh :)

yep, they are coming pretty hard.

wonder what will happen to all those bikes with no green book no plate!

No plate may be a problem but if one has a plate

I have never known anyone to carry a greenbook

I think green books or lack thereof is a problem for selling

But if they somehow get the tax,reg,compulsory insurance & a plate

I dont think they have any problems.

But getting those things without a greenbook may be sketchy

Mania, you need to carry the greenbook legally, isnt it that way?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't

Whether it is law that you do I do not know but would think not

Would make it nice for bike thieves though if it was always kept on the bike :)

Haha. But law is law.

So they might ask you it to verify. You cannot present? They might take your bike and keep it for you somewhere until you present the green book to them.

I expect the worse, always. You never know.

Haha. But law is law.

So they might ask you it to verify. You cannot present? They might take your bike and keep it for you somewhere until you present the green book to them.

I actually really do not know if it is law.

Can anyone here say for certain?

If it is I will make a copy & keep it in a ziploc bag under the seat.

So...

Less than 1000 inc back taxes.

just beware guys!

Guess I'd better be careful with that old Kawasaki then... that thing smokes so much my girlfriend started calling it the "rot gai yang..." laugh.png

Haha. But law is law.

I actually really do not know if it is law.

Can anyone here say for certain?

If it is I will make a copy & keep it in a ziploc bag under the seat.

yeah, anyone knows if it is mandatory to carry the green book by law?

i also just carry a xerox of it under seat only.

Edited by ll2