Is there any good hiking around Bangkok?

I have heard that Bangkok Noi, across the river from the main part of town, is good for cycling. I think they have paths or something. Sure you could walk there as well. The Bangkok Podcast guys did a show about their ride out there and said it was nice.

Siam Paragon to Central a la the pedestrian bridge.

I would get a canoe,. head out to samut sakhon and throw the thing in a river if I wanted to see some nature around here. With a map, and perhaps a gps, i'm sure you could find a circular route to bring you back.

Edited by isawasnake

I live out along the BangNa Trat Road (R34)- (the ground level road under the elevated motorway heading for Pattaya) round about the 24 - 25 km mark out to the East of the city beyond Suvannabhumbi Airport. Most of the klong and the natural waterways in the area (which run at right angles to the highway) have elevated concrete paths running along them. They can be ridden by bike (as long as you keep a tight riding line) and very easily walked. Some of the areas are still completely undeveloped (devoid of the increasing number of factories moving into the area to avoid any future flooding where they were North of the City) and run through and past rice fields, aqua-culture ponds, large natural mashes, open grass land and traditional riverside houses. When the paths reach a main road the walkways cross under the bridge and but also lead up on the road where, by crossing the river/canal, you can often get to a walkway on the outside and return from where you came. Great bird life along the way, some real lovely spots like the Assumption University campus and a growing number of beautiful golf courses. (which to get to, you have to leave the waterway - which may actually run along their boundary wall - walk along a road and enter via their main gate). Surprising amount of wildlife - some bloody big water lizards (Varanus sp), turtles, something that looks like an otter, voles / water rats etc.

I've never done it myself but from here some of the waterways via linking klongs running at right angles to the main drainage lines actually lead right the way back towards the centre of the City. Even these areas are very interesting - what you see out of the plane window as you land at the airport.

I started out taking a short walk and exploring how I could get back to our housing complex in a circular walk or bike ride and have made some interesting discoveries - old out-of-the-way Wats where you feel you are the first farang to visit, some friendly informal sector bars (can get hot and thirsty), tonnes of charming lovely people, some great boats you can hire or hitch a ride with, and some grumpy dogs who feel they own the path in front of their houses etc - now I know enough about the system to catch the Airport Link from town to some of the stations before the airport and then take a lovely 2 hr walk home past some old friends and along favourite paths. So get out there and start walking - explore the waterways of the Venice of the East. Unfortunately nearer the city some of the canals are garbage tips but they do eventually lead somewhere real fascinating.

• Like 1

Nice reply Kevin. Do you travel into Bangkok every day? Would love to live amongst some greenery but working in Bangkok makes it too far.

Lots of nice spots if you go a bit further afield in Kanchanaburi, Khao Yai etc. Anyone investigated the hills behind Chon Buri? You see them as you come to the end of the expressway before Chon Buri town itself.