Carcinogenic chemicals still prevalent around Koh Samet's Ao Phrao

webfact

RAYONG
Carcinogenic chemicals still prevalent in Ao Phrao

Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

30213346-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE LEVEL of carcinogenic substances found in the waters around Koh Samet's Ao Phrao remains high, though seawater adjacent to other parts of the island is safe to swim in, the state pollution-watch agency said.

"It is still not safe to swim in Ao Phrao," Wichien Jungrungruang, Pollution Control Department (PCD) director-general, told the press yesterday.

This disclosure came as a result of the fourth round of tests conducted by the department to monitor the level of contamination in seawater after oil washed up on the shores of Koh Samet last month. The hazardous chemicals detected include arsenic, cadmium and mercury as well as traces of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and total petroleum hydrocarbon (TPH).

After the oil, which leaked from a PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC) offshore operation, washed up at Koh Samet's Ao Phrao beach on July 28, the PCD has been closely monitoring the level of hazardous substances in the area.

For its fourth test, the PCD collected samples from 12 spots around the island on Tuesday and sent it to a private laboratory for tests.

Though the test found the levels of arsenic, cadmium, mercury and PAH to be below the maximum levels set by the United States' Environmental Protection Agency, the level of TPH - a carcinogenic agent - at Ao Phrao was still higher than the accepted level of 0.5 microgram per litre. A high level of TPH has been detected at three spots around Ao Phrao with 0.65mcg, 2.1mcg and 3.5mcg per litre respectively.

To ensure that the water around Koh Samet and the sand on its beaches are free from contamination, the PCD will continue conducting tests at least until October. Seawater samples will be collected twice a week and the results will be revealed to the public at least once a week.

This announcement came after the Cabinet recently announced that it was withdrawing the PCD's report on contamination levels because it deemed it an overestimation.

However, Wichien said the test results were accurate and based on scientific data.

When asked whether the department was under political pressure over its test results, he said he did not feel any pressure and did not expect the PTTGC to file a lawsuit against the department over the revelation of the test results.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-24

The real contamination which is dangerous to the health of this country stems from the current government and the culture that allows it to prosper.

Within a few days of this spill there were numerous assurances, as per the norm, that they would have it under control within one week. I have no doubt that the PCB data is correct,however, I also have no doubt that actions will be put in place to minimize the reporting both qualitatively and quantitatively.

This is not a government or a culture that promotes accountability or responsibility.

• Like 1

Sorry I don't get this.

How can the cabinet (who to my knowledge know as much about pollution control as I do about Burberry boots) 'withdraw' a scientific study they commissioned because they don't agree with it?

If they feel so confident in the sea water safety levels at Ao Phrao then they should prove it to Thais and tourists alike by going for a communal dip or hold a mobile cabinet meeting there. The PM could even do her 'Yingluck meets the people' show from the beach. That might help to reassure everyone. wai2.gif

• Like 2

To ensure that the water around Koh Samet and the sand on its beaches are free from contamination, the PCD will continue conducting tests

I guess if they take enough samples they will remove the contamination with them? We won't remediate anything, but we will keep testing to INSURE it's safe????

Quote from OP:

" This announcement came after the Cabinet recently announced that it was withdrawing the PCD's report on contamination levels because it deemed it an overestimation.

However, Wichien said the test results were accurate and based on scientific data.
When asked whether the department was under political pressure over its test results, he said he did not feel any pressure and did not expect the PTTGC to file a lawsuit against the department over the revelation of the test results".

Umph, I feel releaved that PTTGC will not sue the Department of Pollution Control for revelation of their test results!!!

This is 'Thainess' at its best! Hardly anything else needs to be added... w00t.gif

Poor Wichien soon will be looking for a job.

Edited by ABCer

Resort Island Oil Spill Continues To Take Its Toll

13773404931377340633l.jpg

Mr. Chuwit Kamolwisit, an MP for Love Thailand Party, during his visit to Koh Samet.

RAYONG: -- A month after the oil spill in Gulf of Thailand that blackened the seas around Koh Samet, a popular tourist resort island, vendors in the area say they are still enduring casualties on their business caused by the incident.

For instance, Baan Pe Market, which is normally crowded with tourists buying seafood fished from the sea and taking the ferry to the famous island, is now visibly quieter than usual, our correspondent at Prachachart reported.

Vendors at the market said fewer tourists arrive at the island, which is located just several hours of ferry ride away from Baan Pe. Uncle Nong, a seafood vendor at the market, said he usually earned 6,000-7,000 baht a day selling food at his shop, but that has slowed to 1,000 a day.

"I have never seen anything like it in 30 years that I spent in Baan Pe," he said, adding that many tourists refused to eat the seafood in the market, fearing that they are contaminated by the oil spill.

Aunty Surie, another seafood vendor, also lament about sharp decrease in her business, and criticised the authorities for helping the fishermen but ignoring merchants along the shore like her.

The media is to blame, Aunt Surie charged, saying that the news reports about the oil spill greatly exaggerated the effect of the spill. "The impact only rests at Ao Phrao", she said, referring to the hardest-hit beach in Koh Samet, "other areas have no problem. Seafood here is safe to eat. Why doesn′t the media report about that?"

A worker at the Baan Pe piers estimated that around 1,000 tourists took the ferry from Baan Pe on typical weekends, but nowadays fewer than 300 tourists show up. Most of them are foreigners, he said.

He also blamed the media. "They are scared by the news you report."

Aunty Surie agreed with the worker, telling our correspondent that while Thai tourists are scared of the oil spill, foreign tourists keep coming.

However, a report on the New York Times revealed that, despite rescue operations by the Thai authorities to clean up the oil residue and assure the public that all is well, the environmental impact on Koh Samet is far from over.

The report says even the water around Ao Phrao is declared unsafe by the Thai authorities, after several politicians swam in the sea to prove their point that tourists can be merry again at the beach.

The report also notes that many foreign tourists at Koh Samet are not aware of the oil spill incident. One of them, from China, is quoted as saying that if she had known about it she would have reconsidered her trip there.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056TTBNRFE1TXc9PQ==&utm_content=buffera3f8d&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

--KHAOSOD English 2013-08-24

Mr. Chuwit Kamolwisit, an MP for Love Thailand Party, during his visit to Koh Samet.

RAYONG: -- A month after the oil spill in Gulf of Thailand that blackened the seas around Koh Samet, a popular tourist resort island, vendors in the area say they are still enduring casualties on their business caused by the incident.

For instance, Baan Pe Market, which is normally crowded with tourists buying seafood fished from the sea and taking the ferry to the famous island, is now visibly quieter than usual, our correspondent at Prachachart reported.

Vendors at the market said fewer tourists arrive at the island, which is located just several hours of ferry ride away from Baan Pe. Uncle Nong, a seafood vendor at the market, said he usually earned 6,000-7,000 baht a day selling food at his shop, but that has slowed to 1,000 a day.

"I have never seen anything like it in 30 years that I spent in Baan Pe," he said, adding that many tourists refused to eat the seafood in the market, fearing that they are contaminated by the oil spill.

Aunty Surie, another seafood vendor, also lament about sharp decrease in her business, and criticised the authorities for helping the fishermen but ignoring merchants along the shore like her.

The media is to blame, Aunt Surie charged, saying that the news reports about the oil spill greatly exaggerated the effect of the spill. "The impact only rests at Ao Phrao", she said, referring to the hardest-hit beach in Koh Samet, "other areas have no problem. Seafood here is safe to eat. Why doesn′t the media report about that?"

A worker at the Baan Pe piers estimated that around 1,000 tourists took the ferry from Baan Pe on typical weekends, but nowadays fewer than 300 tourists show up. Most of them are foreigners, he said.

Aunty Surie agreed with the worker, telling our correspondent that while Thai tourists are scared of the oil spill, foreign tourists keep coming.

However, a report on the New York Times revealed that, despite rescue operations by the Thai authorities to clean up the oil residue and assure the public that all is well, the environmental impact on Koh Samet is far from over.

The report says even the water around Ao Phrao is declared unsafe by the Thai authorities, after several politicians swam in the sea to prove their point that tourists can be merry again at the beach.

The report also notes that many foreign tourists at Koh Samet are not aware of the oil spill incident. One of them, from China, is quoted as saying that if she had known about it she would have reconsidered her trip there.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056TTBNRFE1TXc9PQ==&utm_content=buffera3f8d&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

I dream that the thais would have a brain storm and demand this guy as pm and nothing less, You can tell me how much of a bad boy he was/is but infact he,s very open about it and does,nt deny,

Sorry for being somewhat off topic.

• Like 2

I dream that the thais would have a brain storm and demand this guy as pm and nothing less, You can tell me how much of a bad boy he was/is but infact he,s very open about it and does,nt deny,

One hopes this was a very short photo op, as if there is mercury vapour and other nasties coming off that bucket in vapour form, would be breathing all that sh*t in.

I'd bet he can think for himself, and not take orders from exiled criminals.