DSI 'trying to please' Yingluck govt

webfact

POLITICS
DSI 'trying to please' Yingluck govt

Olan Lertrudtanadumrongkul,
Praphan Jindalertudomdee
The Nation

30213358-01_big.gif
A picture shared in social media of Pheu Thai MP Prasit Chaisrisa taking a photo of his colleague Thaworn Triratnarong, who fell asleep during a parliamentary meeting on Thursday night. Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said society should admire Thaw

Failed to review slaying of top govt critic but probed Facebook joke: MP

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) was heavily criticised yesterday during the 2014 budget bill debate for its alleged ineffectiveness in dealing with a number of prominent cases.

The House of Representatives continued its fifth day of debate on the Bt2.5-trillion budget bill yesterday with Democrat MP Watchara Pechthong criticising the DSI for its alleged inefficiency and overt attempts to please the Yingluck Shinawatra administration.

Watchara asked why the DSI had not followed up the abduction and killing of anti-government businessman Akeyuth Anchanbutr, while pursuing a case about a Facebook posting by the Democrat Party's deputy spokesperson Mallika Boonmee-trakool, which criticised the premier.

The DSI had also failed so far to retrieve ill-gotten gold from disgraced monk Luang Pu Nenkham, Watchara said. The MP alleged that the ex-monk was now being protected by an army general, who is a member of the ruling Pheu Thai Party. He asked whether or not the DSI dared to retrieve the gold from the general.

The DSI's request for a Bt35-million secret fund for 2014 was also questioned. Watchara asked whether or not such funds had been used in the past to finance foreign activities by the agency.

Watchara then proposed a five per cent cut in the budget requested by the DSI.

"I want to ask, to whom does the DSI pledge its loyalty - to the people? Or to the premier?"

Meanwhile, Democrat MP Satit Wongnongtoey proposed a 20-per cent cut in the DSI's proposed investigation budget, citing the department's failure to achieve its stated investigative role.

The House voted 288 to 109 to approve the Justice Ministry's Bt19-billion budget.

It also approved Bt30 billion for the Labour Ministry, Bt6.6 billion for the Culture Ministry, Bt8.7 billion for the Science and Technology Ministry and Bt482 billion for the Education Ministry.

The Democrats yesterday reminded the vetting committee for the 2014 budget bill to submit documents about costs for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's overseas

travel and expenses related to Thailand preparing to be part of the ASEAN Community as well as government spending when it imposed the Internal Security Act to curb anti-government rallies earlier this month.

The second round of debate on the fiscal 2014 budget bill resumed yesterday after being halted last Saturday.

This must be finalised by midnight on Monday, otherwise, the bill will go to the Senate for review without any changes by the vetting committee - as it was approved in the first reading.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-24

Not seeing the correlation between the PTP MP having a kip in the corner and the rest of the story..

Or is it all relative to the story that the DSI is being portrayed as nodding off on some matters?

Too early in the morning for such clandestine subliminal messages hocus pocus :P

The DSI is the poodle of the Government for sure, wonder if they

will be installing beds instead of seats in the new Parliament building,

its all the hard work these politicians do!, they need their sleep.

but at least he is in the house,while the PM is a stranger.

regards Worgeordie

If what I read elsewhere is correct then the DSI is not doing it fast enough for PT for it seem Pheu Thai MP Prompong Nopparit has been telling Tarit to get a move on with the investigations of 6 cases 'involving' the Dems.

• Like 1

What is wrong with the DSI being used by the government to oppress the opposition? Other countries do it the British have MI6, which is used to spy on opposition parties. In the USA the government uses the IRS, FBI and NSA. George Orwell is happy? Big Brother is watching.

19.0 Billion x 0.3 = 5.70 Billion (Justice)

30.0 Billion x 0.3 = 9.00 Billion (Labor)

06.6 Billion x 0.3 = 1.98 Billion (Culture)

08.7 Billion x 0.3 = 2.61 Billion (Science)

482.0 Billion x 0.3 = 144.60 Billion (Education)

Total thus far from 5 ministries = 163.89 Billion Baht

PTP "trying to please" Thaksin

Thaksin will be very, very pleased.

Edited by johnnie20110

Tsk tsk, that's very naughty Johnnie whistling.gif

What is wrong with the DSI being used by the government to oppress the opposition? Other countries do it the British have MI6, which is used to spy on opposition parties. In the USA the government uses the IRS, FBI and NSA. George Orwell is happy? Big Brother is watching.

MI6 does not spy or have any interest in opposition parties.. I dont know where you got that garbage from...

A lot of the money doesn't get spent though. Partly because of total inefficiency and inability to organise, partly because its hard who should receive which pay off and how much. Really.

MI6 does not spy or have any interest in opposition parties.. I dont know where you got that garbage from...

I think MI6 is more focused on foreign threats so if it were true it would more likely be MI5. I believe the security services can be involved if there are any security risks involving politicians but that can be form the government, the opposition or more likely minor parties.

Suggesting that the government uses the security services against the opposition seems unlikely as this would cause problems when there is a change of government.

As for the DSI, that's an easy one as Tarit has already said that they are influenced by pressure from the government. Unless he was lying of course.

It doesn't matter what country does it. It is immoral and unethical and should be against the law of the land.

• Like 2

The DSI seem to be most known for their 'do nothing' stance pertaining to certain cases/individuals, Tarit's news releases warning those they are going to investigate, and the old fall back, "we are awaiting a formal request" to get involved.

This description also seems to fit all of the potential enforcement agencies, until someone gets a burr up their a.. and wants to tie up the opposition in travel to and from hearing, court apperances, etc. This seems to follow a "whoops" made by any of the current mob at the table.

As Tirit said when all thought he would be axed from his position at the DSI after the last federal election. I worked closely with the democrats when they held the power and I will work closely with this newly elected government!

I take it the familiar playground chant of "they do it, so it's ok if we do" is a wind-up.
  • Like 1

x30213358-01_big.gif.pagespeed.ic.6rzhJF

Caption-competition ? Why not ...

"I was dreaming about PM-Yingluck !" wub.png

"Your Tax-Dollars Hard-At-Work !" wink.png

"I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas !" rolleyes.gif

"And Then We All Volunteered to Stop Taking 30% 'Commissions' and ... " laugh.png

"Wake Me Up When Tele-Tubbies Comes-On !" facepalm.gif

"Wake Me Up When The Man From Dubai Skypes Me ! smile.png

"Wake Me Up For Meals or Party-Time !" partytime2.gif

"And Then We All Volunteered to Stop Taking 30% 'Commissions' and ... " laugh.png

"WooooW....that ear medicine is strong"

"If you lean over like this, twist your neck and squint very hard...you can just about see Yingluck's knickers"

"WooooW....that ear medicine is strong"

"If you lean over like this, twist your neck and squint very hard...you can just about see Yingluck's knickers"

hmmm maybe..........

post-46292-0-65600400-1377449942_thumb.j

• Like 1