Forgot 90-Day Reporting, now 30 days overdue

I completely forgot to do my 90-day reporting this time. Was supposed to report in on 22 July, so I'm now about 30 days overdue.

Will visit the immigration office on Monday (26 August). What fine can I expect? The receipt from my last visit in April says the fine will not exceed 5,000 Baht. But is there a per-day fee that I can calculate on, or is it generally 5,000 Baht flat for late reporting?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Many thanks for your replies. The general consensus seems to be that I'll get away with 2,000 Baht when I report in on Monday.

That's a big relief, because I already thought that I might have flushed another 5,000 Baht down the drain for having unintentionally missed my 'foreigner-on-parole-reporting-to-parole-officer-routine' deadline.

Many thanks for your replies. The general consensus seems to be that I'll get away with 2,000 Baht when I report in on Monday.

That's a big relief, because I already thought that I might have flushed another 5,000 Baht down the drain for having unintentionally missed my 'foreigner-on-parole-reporting-to-parole-officer-routine' deadline.

"...'foreigner-on-parole-reporting-to-parole-officer-routine' deadline."

Were you not aware of the 90 day reporting requirement when you decided to leave your home country to come here? Is it really all that onerous and challenging to comply?

• Like 2

Were you not aware of the 90 day reporting requirement when you decided to leave your home country to come here? Is it really all that onerous and challenging to comply?

Sure but that does not make it a good rule its an outdated bother the foreigner rule. Nothing more nothing less, just look at how foreigners are treated back home once they gotten their visa. That is a lot better then foreigners here. So its a valid complaint.

Were you not aware of the 90 day reporting requirement when you decided to leave your home country to come here?  Is it really all that onerous and challenging to comply?

If you have a long term visa or extension (12 months) then yes it is an unnecessary waste of time and in many cases money to do 90 day reporting. Have you ever done it yourself ( not sure if your Thai)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

The best thing to do is invest in a large wall calender,put it

where you see it everyday,say near the breakfast table,and

write the dates in for reporting,as soon as you get back from

the Immigration write the next reporting date down.

For the cost of say 200Bht +- it could say you a lot of money

and grief,I have been doing this for years and have never

missed a date,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

+1

I admit they can be pain but not all that bad.

You can do it by mail (most offices) or have somebody do it for you (wife does most of mine).

Plus the large window of time to do them (-15 +7) makes it easy to plan doing them.

I have a teacher friend who has to report every 90 days at the Sakon Nakhon Immigration Office. For a variety of reasons he was late reporting but mainly because he had to renew his passport which took far longer than he was told it would. He reported at Immigration last week even though the paperwork from school will not be completed until tomorrow (Monday). At Sakon Nakhon he was told that the daily fine of 500 baht included weekends but as he will be more than six weeks late by the time he returns tomorrow with his paperwork he will be fined the maximum amount which is 15,000 baht, in other words his (or any) fine will not exceed this.

That sounds more as if your friend is the student rather than teacher and here on 90 day extensions of stay (study of Thai perhaps?) so has been overstay since last extension expired. It is not 90 day address reporting fine. It is overstay at 500 baht per day up to 20,000 baht.

Wow, talk about people having no sense for tongue-in-cheek sarcastic remarks.

I have been living in Thailand for the past 23 years, and since that 90-day reporting rule was introduced some 10 ago (could be longer, can't really remember) I have not missed to report in EVEN ONCE. This time, however, I simply missed it, because I had forgotten to mark the date in my calendar. It happens, you know. I'm not infallible.

While I have no problem complying with this rule, I still find it a nuisance, and yes, even with a one-year, multiple-entry, renewable visa in my passport since times immemorial, I do feel like someone who must report in to their parole officer, especially under consideration of the fact that I haven't changed my address in the last 15 years.

And if regular posts by other TV members regarding the 90-day reporting issue are any indication, I don't seem to be the only one who finds this rule rather archaic and annoying.

• Like 2

You could stop doing it and there's a high chance it will never be noticed, especially if you're in Bangkok. I have many colleagues that (unlike me) have never done a 90-day report, yet get re-entry permits and extensions of stay without a problem. The various divisions at Chaengwattana don't seem to communicate with each other.

I never missed a single report, but like many others I don't like this rule. I have been here a mere 7 years and for those who call it moaning so be it. There are many stupid rules in this country, back home we had stupid rules and I moaned (like you guys name it) about those too.

It is simply a stupid rule especially for people like me and the OP who haven't changed their address since the first time they reported.

Stop doing them is not an option here as I have almost been fined for supposedly not having done it, only for them to back down when they found the piece of paper in the passport on an other spot then usual (they put it there). I got a big white board with my next report date there.

• Like 2

Misterwhisper

"one-year, multiple-entry, renewable visa in my passport"

Which "visa" would that be ?coffee1.gif
I want one !whistling.gif

One year multiple entry (could be a marriage I know not the correct term) visa and they are renewable (extendable)

If you feel that you are a "foreigner-on-parole-reporting-to-parole-officer-routine " deadline why before you moved here, didn't you do some research on what, or what not you could do and when you could do it without being penalised. You've screwed up, pay the price and move on.

Misterwhisper

One year multiple entry (could be a marriage I know not the correct term) visa and they are renewable (extendable)

Only the non immigrant O-A visa would allow more than a 90 day stay.

If you feel that you are a "foreigner-on-parole-reporting-to-parole-officer-routine " deadline why before you moved here, didn't you do some research on what, or what not you could do and when you could do it without being penalised. You've screwed up, pay the price and move on.

Just for your information: I already stayed in Thailand a good 10 years BEFORE that rule was suddenly introduced.

I have already filled out the form, will report in tomorrow and pay the fine, no problem - and I STILL think the 90-day-reporting rule is a nuisance, and regardless of what your opinion might be on the issue.

Just for your information: I already stayed in Thailand a good 10 years BEFORE that rule was suddenly introduced.

Just to clarify, the 'rule' was not suddenly introduced as the law came on the books with the 2522 (1979) Immigration Act section 37 (5.). Now consistent enforcement of the law came into being around 2003, which was about 11 years after I moved here. During those 11 years I also didn't report and no one I knew did but that stopped one day when I went to renew my annual extension for work. It was clear she wasn't going to go ahead with the extension until I did the 90 day and payed my fine. That was the only time I have been late (11 years late). biggrin.png

I have a program called Simple Reminder 1.0 that I put all my important dates and times in. It pops up with an alarm and the message as to what the appointment is for.

Misterwhisper

Only the non immigrant O-A visa would allow more than a 90 day stay.

And even though the O-A allows for more than a 90 day stay, you still need to check in every 90 days. I certainly don't find this a problem. I wish the US knew where all of the immigrants were, instead of just holding an "open house", take what you want program.

• Like 1

I have already filled out the form, will report in tomorrow and pay the fine, no problem - and I STILL think the 90-day-reporting rule is a nuisance, and regardless of what your opinion might be on the issue.

I was under the impression that it was a rule which was not applied. I picture people like us posting moans about all the lazy imm. officials doing nothing at Suan Plu. Guess what? they are now employed again and probably as pissed off as we are!

I have a teacher friend who has to report every 90 days at the Sakon Nakhon Immigration Office. For a variety of reasons he was late reporting but mainly because he had to renew his passport which took far longer than he was told it would. He reported at Immigration last week even though the paperwork from school will not be completed until tomorrow (Monday). At Sakon Nakhon he was told that the daily fine of 500 baht included weekends but as he will be more than six weeks late by the time he returns tomorrow with his paperwork he will be fined the maximum amount which is 15,000 baht, in other words his (or any) fine will not exceed this.

And whatever they tell you it is going to cost at Sakhon Nahon, tell them for everything necessary to clear this up and then call another immigration and ask them. Sahon Nakhon has a price list in their heads and their pockets for their services, which many times exceed the listed prices for services. Make sure that you have the exact change as none will be forthcoming.

• 1 month later...

You could stop doing it and there's a high chance it will never be noticed, especially if you're in Bangkok. I have many colleagues that (unlike me) have never done a 90-day report, yet get re-entry permits and extensions of stay without a problem. The various divisions at Chaengwattana don't seem to communicate with each other.

Just met a guy here on Edvisa for 2nd year here, we somehow got talking about 90 day reporting, I meant the report of address, he thought I meant the 90 day renewal of the Edvisa, it turns out he confused the two and thought it must be the same thing, so has never done a single 90 day report! I didn't know what to advise, it seems if you are not in their system, there is never any time where that 90 day slip is needed - either for renewing the visa, or leaving the country. He's never had a problem, so should he just keep it as is, or go turn himself in?

I never missed a single report, but like many others I don't like this rule. I have been here a mere 7 years and for those who call it moaning so be it. There are many stupid rules in this country, back home we had stupid rules and I moaned (like you guys name it) about those too.

It is simply a stupid rule especially for people like me and the OP who haven't changed their address since the first time they reported.

Stop doing them is not an option here as I have almost been fined for supposedly not having done it, only for them to back down when they found the piece of paper in the passport on an other spot then usual (they put it there). I got a big white board with my next report date there.

have you found the moaning to be helpful in any way?