US Army's Robert Bales gets life, no parole for Afghanistan killings

webfact

Army's Robert Bales gets life, no parole for Afghan rampage -- but was it justice?
By Greg Botelho, CNN

(CNN) -- On Friday, a military jury decided U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales will get life in prison without parole for killing 16 Afghan villagers.

Yet victims left behind -- some bearing physical scars, others with emotional ones from seeing their kin indiscriminately, brutally gunned down -- say that, with that sentence, they don't feel they got justice.

Friday's decision was not entirely unexpected. In June Bales' pleaded guilty to more than 30 criminal charges, including 16 premeditated murder counts, spared himself from the prospect of a death sentence. He also pleaded guilty to charges related to illicit steroid and alcohol use.

But it still remained up to a jury of four officers and two enlisted personnel to decide whether Bales should be eligible for parole.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/23/justice/robert-bales-afghan-killings/index.html

-- CNN 2013-08-24

I believe that is Life with NO parole, unless I am missing something.

Correct. But the jury was left to decide parole or not.

And how well does this relate to Nidal Hasan's sentence, where the jury is now deciding, not on whether he could get parole or not, but whether he gets the death sentence. And Hasan didn't murder women and kids. Nice one for equality, America.

• Like 2

Friday's decision was not entirely unexpected. In June Bales' pleaded guilty to more than 30 criminal charges, including 16 premeditated murder counts, spared himself from the prospect of a death sentence. He also pleaded guilty to charges related to illicit steroid and alcohol use.

But it still remained up to a jury of four officers and two enlisted personnel to decide whether Bales should be eligible for parole.

I read that as 'remainED' (not 'remains'), in spite of his guilty plea, but the panel decidED against parole. Of course I may be wrong.

Edited by F4UCorsair

The death penalty has to be better than life without parole!

I suspect any appeal will focus on the psychological aspects of his military career to see what may have triggered this behavior, or can be blamed.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

The Afghan villagers belief in justice will be directly related to the amount of compensation they receive.

If they were offered the choice between even a mere $50,000 compo or the death sentence for the guy, they would be on their knees begging for the guy to be saved.

As the average annual Afghan wage is below US$1k would not be at all surprised if they accepted such compensation, would be equivalent to a lifetimes earning on current income levels. However, the United States usually pays up to $2,500 for civilians killed in lawful operations such as air strikes. Would guess they received more in the case of wilful murder by Bales

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-57397529-503543/calculating-the-price-of-a-civilian-life-in-afghanistan/

Some good news, some villagers turning against the Taliban

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/world/asia/afghan-villages-rise-up-against-taliban.html?ref=robertbales&_r=0

• Like 1

And how well does this relate to Nidal Hasan's sentence

IMO, both of them deserve the death penalty, but Bales was smart enough to cop a plea.

Hasan has also admitted guilt. Neither should get the death sentence - they should both get life without parole in the same prison.

• Like 1

I suspect any appeal will focus on the psychological aspects of his military career to see what may have triggered this behavior, or can be blamed.

I think I read that he was a psychologist......................that partly explains it!!

It's reported that he pleaded guilty, and called no witnesses, so perhaps wants to be killed. What a shame he wasn't indulged on the day, before he killed any of those around him.

I believe the highest suicide rates in Australia, by profession, are psychiatrists, psychologists, dentists and vets, but can't find anything to support it, in keeping with policy to play down suicide.

Edited by F4UCorsair

IMO, both of them deserve the death penalty, but Bales was smart enough to cop a plea.

Hasan has also admitted guilt. Neither should get the death sentence - they should both get life without parole in the same prison.

That would be fine with me. It would prevent Hasan from any "guarantee" of martyrdom and he would have to live out the rest of his life in very unpleasant conditions.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

That would be fine with me. It would prevent Hasan from any "guarantee" of martyrdom and he would have to live out the rest of his life in very unpleasant conditions.

Well at least things might level out for both.

And what about Bale's Christian beliefs?

They had nothing to do with his crime. He would have never done it otherwise. Hasan wanted to be a martyr to his religion and felt that killing "infidels" would accomplish that.

Religion here is not on trial. You imply that because someone was motivated by his (alien to you) religion that it means the sentence should be more harsh thhan someone motivated by simple hatred. I don't understand what that's about.

If you are going to blame anything, blame Hassan's religion and his desire for martydom..

So what you are saying is that it wasn't just Hasan's fault and that religious bigotry also has a role to play in his sentencing?

Do you have trouble comprehending simple sentences?

Hassan's 'DESIRE FOR MARTYDOM' is what was driving his wish for a death sentence.

There is no such requirement of martyrdom for a Christian to enter an afterlife.

• Like 2

I think I read that he was a psychologist......................that partly explains it!!

It's reported that he pleaded guilty, and called no witnesses, so perhaps wants to be killed. What a shame he wasn't indulged on the day, before he killed any of those around him.

I believe the highest suicide rates in Australia, by profession, are psychiatrists, psychologists, dentists and vets, but can't find anything to support it, in keeping with policy to play down suicide.

Off topic, but it is not true suicide is played down in Australia, it is a major concern. That are a number of State, Federal and non government organisations that undertake research into & programs that talk to suicide prevention, probably the most well know is Beyond Blue

EDIT: Sorry Scott just noticed your post above.

Edited by simple1

simple 1, rather than quote your entire post, I will just respond.

Perhaps 'played down' was a poor choice of words. Suicides are given little/no publicity thereby removing much of the risk of 'copy cat' suicides, a concept I just don't understand, but it exists.

I agree that suicide is taken very seriously, and there are a number of organizations working with governments to combat the problem

It is in the First Amendment of the US Constitution, which says in part...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof:"

There is NO national religion in the US, nor is separation of state and church mentioned anywhere in the Constitution.

^^^^, I would add a rider to the above, they should both be made to share the same cell.

The Afghan villagers belief in justice will be directly related to the amount of compensation they receive.

If they were offered the choice between even a mere $50,000 compo or the death sentence for the guy, they would be on their knees begging for the guy to be saved.

I'm not being glib, that's human nature.

It's also why we see families here in Thailand accepting blood money too. The rich Ferrari Red Bull guy appealed directly to the Thai families greed.

He was unlucky that he killed a policeman, if it had been anyone else the case would have been finished long ago, and in his favour. I am convinced that the police are continuing with this case as it's a chance to show the rich that they can be jailed too. Not because of any noble legal principle, it's so they can charge them the right fee accordingly in future to make cases go away.

The question can be asked of the Afghan's, ,and many others......."How much will it cost me to buy your principles?".

When the main breadwinner is murdered then there is little else these people can do - it's not about buying principles.That's an American concept. If a bribe really will be involved then ask yourself, who is doing the bribing to make it appear as though justice is being done?

Edited by Card
  • Like 2

An off-topic post has been removed. This will be the last public warning about a discussion of religion.

The paying of blood money for a death in some countries is the sanctioned, legal and acceptable manner of dealing with the situation. It is not considered bribery.

An off-topic post has been removed. This will be the last public warning about a discussion of religion.

The paying of blood money for a death in some countries is the sanctioned, legal and acceptable manner of dealing with the situation. It is not considered bribery.

Forgot about that part of the culture. Confirmed US did pay blood money to the victims families - US$50k for the families for each victim & US$11k for each of the wounded.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-03-25/world/35447229_1_nato-afghan-afghan-officials-arghandab