What Would It Take To Make You Leave Thailand?......

theblether

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, unlike some posters, I'm amazed at how curious a lot of the folks back home are about what I have been up to in Asia. I'm not adventurous or especially brave, just picking up a paycheck in another country. It's all rather ordinary. So it surprises me that people do ask so many questions.

I'm always amazed at how little people back home want to know about Thailand.

That doesn't amaze me at all. 10 miles over the border in any direction and Thailand's effects on the world are virtually nil.

On the other hand, 10+ years of my Asia experience were in China. Lots of people are very interested in China from the perspective of someone who has actually lived there, and not just watched Fox News.

And others I hang out with are interested in what I've been up to. Whether that be in Asia, or living in the next block over. That's why we hang out- we care about what's going on in each others' lives. Also kind of takes the place of drinking for most of us. But that's another thread.

And, unlike some posters, I'm amazed at how curious a lot of the folks back home are about what I have been up to in Asia. I'm not adventurous or especially brave, just picking up a paycheck in another country. It's all rather ordinary. So it surprises me that people do ask so many questions.

That doesn't amaze me at all. 10 miles over the border in any direction and Thailand's effects on the world are virtually nil.

On the other hand, 10+ years of my Asia experience were in China. Lots of people are very interested in China from the perspective of someone who has actually lived there, and not just watched Fox News.

And others I hang out with are interested in what I've been up to. Whether that be in Asia, or living in the next block over. That's why we hang out- we care about what's going on in each others' lives. Also kind of takes the place of drinking for most of us. But that's another thread.

That's pretty ignorant to say ..... the last flood in Thailand shut down half of the worldwide hard drive production and caused shock waves in the stock market. Get a clue dude

That's pretty ignorant to say ..... the last flood in Thailand shut down half of the worldwide hard drive production and caused shock waves in the stock market. Get a clue dude

Maybe, but if you asked 100 Europeans or Americans (North or South) about the latest tragedy in Thailand, they would know about the tsunami and nothing about the floods.

Hard drive prices went up a few percent for a few months and I don't remember the stock market reacting at all, except the SET. Someone living in Thailand may attach the market swings to the flood, but the rest of the world figured it was something Jim Cramer (or maybe Rachel Ray) said. The CEO of Google can have a toothache one day and rock it more than that.

Yes, nobody is interested about your life?

Are you interested about their life?

Same for money, you lose all, nobody will cares.

Your lady took your house? good lesson for you but people don't really care. You are sick? Go treat yourself... I pity you, I m OK...

When I come back to Europe, people tell me " it s better here,"

No "is it better here or there?? ", in fact they want say "you back here because it s better here".

I answer by " Yes it s ok here" instead of "I came back to get an thai visa" :-)

Actually yes, I am interested in the lives of people I know well, and if they have photos, I enjoy looking at them.

I can't imagine having a friend return from an overseas trip and not getting them to tell me all about it.

Why single out Fox news. They give very little world news, concentrating almost exclusively on US affairs.

Kids education !

But aren't there quality education choices in the private schools? Like in Chiang Mai?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Private schools are overpriced and as with EVERYTHING in Thailand there's no guarantee of safety or quality. A Thai Education is definitely not something you wanna do to your kids

I can't imagine having a friend return from an overseas trip and not getting them to tell me all about it.

Nothing more boring than someone showing your endless amounts of travel photos and banging on about where they were taken, who they were with, what they were doing, blah blah blah.

It's exciting for the person who owns the photos but not so much for most others.

It's especially bad when it's just some dull 2 week holiday pictures where they lounged around the pool or beach for 2 weeks and drank at the hotel bar.

facepalm.gif

Nothing more boring than someone showing your endless amounts of travel photos and banging on about where they were taken, who they were with, what they were doing, blah blah blah.

It's exciting for the person who owns the photos but not so much for most others.

It's especially bad when it's just some dull 2 week holiday pictures where they lounged around the pool or beach for 2 weeks and drank at the hotel bar.

facepalm.gif

I said that I like travel stories. If other people don't, that's up to them.

BTW, I don't have friends that would burn carbon just to lounge around the hotel pool or just drink.

• 2 weeks later...
What would need to happen to have you questioning whether to continue living here?

47.98% total income tax on worldwide income plus enforced 19% VAT on goods and services like in my home country Germany w00t.gif

Same, same for income tax in my home country Canada, only VAT is 14%, but wait for property taxes, school taxes, and all the others !

facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18>

Oh yes there is. There's going back to your small, quiet village in rural England having been all around the world and be met with total indifference, and then being bored stiff with tales of woe about rising electricity bills and the latest gossip about a group of people I don't really know anyway.

Oh yes there is. There's going back to your small, quiet village in rural England having been all around the world and be met with total indifference, and then being bored stiff with tales of woe about rising electricity bills and the latest gossip about a group of people I don't really know anyway.

I learnt a long time ago most people don't care.

They might ask you about your trip but quickly revert back to telling you what's being happening at home instead of listening to your tales of adventure.

No one wants to hear about how much fun you've been having when they were stuck at home and bored out their minds.

• Like 1

Nowadays I blow 'hot and cold' about living in Thailand.

After more than 10 years of constant living in Phuket, I went off to Myanmar in 2012 for an enjoyable year of teaching/educational management.

I returned to Phuket, but was bored within a few weeks with the 'same-same' (same-same includes same old ex-wives with the same old problems!), and off I went again for an interim job in Laos.

Now I've returned a few weeks ago and the boredom and same-same is setting in again!

A few years ago, It used to be a nice afternoon to visit Nai Yang beach. Now I can't see the beach for all the illegal restaurants and hotels.

I rarely visit Patong, but last week on a short trip down the coast from the airport, I was horrified at the extent of new condo building projects. The coast has been ruined.

So what would it take to make me leave Thailand for good?

Sheer boredom and just a little bit more nagging from the ex's smile.png

Simon

PS - Leaving Thailand doesn't mean that I would return to the UK - I would feel like a foreigner in my own country! I'd definitely try to stay in Asia.

Edited by simon43

After more than 10 years of constant living in Phuket, I went off to Myanmar in 2012 for an enjoyable year of teaching/educational management.

I returned to Phuket, but was bored within a few weeks with the 'same-same' (same-same includes same old ex-wives with the same old problems!), and off I went again for an interim job in Laos.

Now I've returned a few weeks ago and the boredom and same-same is setting in again!

A few years ago, It used to be a nice afternoon to visit Nai Yang beach. Now I can't see the beach for all the illegal restaurants and hotels.

I rarely visit Patong, but last week on a short trip down the coast from the airport, I was horrified at the extent of new condo building projects. The coast has been ruined.

Simon

PS - Leaving Thailand doesn't mean that I would return to the UK - I would feel like a foreigner in my own country! I'd definitely try to stay in Asia.

Never underestimate the ability of greedy Thai developers to ruin any nice Thai beach with concrete monstrocities.

The only thing that surprises me is that mindless westerners still flock to such ruined places, despite there supposedly being a global financial crisis. I'm beginning to think it's all BS and there isn't really a financial crisis at all.

Simon

Arent you the same simon wich was once featured in a story on the website of a Britsch journalist who lives in Bangkok?

Usa invading Thailand... And I will be out...

If England & Great Britain & United Kingdom & UK & Britain & U.K. tried to colonize 1/3 of the world again and this time included Thailand, I'd be out.

Oh wait. UK expats have invaded and colonized Thailand. Never mind. cheesy.gif

At least we didn't fail to invade Viet Nam clap2.gif

The US never invaded Viet Nam. Oh wait, that's right I forgot -- Brit expats aren't required to learn anything about the world.

Relax. The Brits, in general, tend to bash Americans here. Whether it is just from their rude disposition, or lack of knowledge (especially here in asia), I just don't know. Sometimes these things slip through. Penis envy should never be a consideration.