Well-mannered Thai party throws down its gloves in government protests

webfact

Well-Mannered Thai Party Throws Down Its Gloves in Government Protests
By THOMAS FULLER

BANGKOK — Booming loudspeakers, crowds of cheering protesters and the riot police on alert — after a relative lull of more than two years, politics is back on the streets in Thailand.

Thousands of demonstrators cheered in a vacant lot here on Saturday as speakers threatened to “overthrow” the government. But unlike in previous years, this time the protesters were members of Thailand’s oldest political party, the Democrat Party, which has long had a reputation as the staid, well-mannered and intellectual voice of the Bangkok establishment and has been firmly dedicated to resolving differences inside Parliament, where the Democrats lead the opposition.

The threats by some of the Democrats’ leaders to lead large-scale street demonstrations in the style of the Arab Spring — stunning to many Thais because it seems so out of character for the party — underlines the persistence of divisions in Thailand and raises the prospect of a return to the political turmoil that left more than 90 people dead on the streets of Bangkok in 2010.

“We are gathering up the masses, people left behind by this government,” Sathit Wongnongtoey, a Democrat Party member of Parliament, told the crowd on Saturday in front of a backdrop with a huge clenched fist. “We will rise up and fight.”

The acrimony between the Democrats and the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra centers on a number of legislative issues, chiefly an effort by the government to pass an amnesty law for those involved in the 2010 protests. The Democrats oppose the bill, saying it might also apply to those who insulted the monarchy or committed serious crimes.

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/26/world/asia/a-staid-thai-party-takes-to-protesting-the-government.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

-- The New York Times 2013-08-26

Yes, maybe the Dems could try and win an election, voters, and stuff such as that, rather than pointless complaining. As for the Dems being "well-mannered", these are guys (by whatever label), who shut down swampy and the PMs HQ, plus massive street protests. Conservatives are not more well-mannered that lefties, just more hypocritical about it.

• Like 1

PS : Do I think this.is a good move bring the Democrats ... no.

I think these mobs and pressure groups are stupid BUT that goes for both sides Yellow and Red.

They should both stop.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Elections 101. People who win election get to do stuff. People who lose elections get to whine about it.

I don't have any love for the current Red administration, but the Dems have got to understand that each time they try and play the obstruction game, or try to use protests and legal action to obstruct the majority, they are sending a clear message to the majority who voted for PT. "We are your enemy. We don't care what you people voted for, we're going to do our best to stop it anyway".

So yeah, maybe Thaksin and his PT buys votes with a few baht and empty promises, but would these people in the Northeast vote Dem even if offered the same or double the amount of money? I think not. The Dems have got to be more inclusive if they want to win votes up there. Hell, even acknowledging that these people exist would be a start.

Dems generally get run out of town whenever they try to interact with the people in Red strongholds so what chance do they have to promote their policies? As soon as they start a meeting the reds are there causing mayhem & disrupting the meeting while the police just look on.

Elections 101. People who win election get to do stuff. People who lose elections get to whine about it.

I don't have any love for the current Red administration, but the Dems have got to understand that each time they try and play the obstruction game, or try to use protests and legal action to obstruct the majority, they are sending a clear message to the majority who voted for PT. "We are your enemy. We don't care what you people voted for, we're going to do our best to stop it anyway".

So yeah, maybe Thaksin and his PT buys votes with a few baht and empty promises, but would these people in the Northeast vote Dem even if offered the same or double the amount of money? I think not. The Dems have got to be more inclusive if they want to win votes up there. Hell, even acknowledging that these people exist would be a start.

Couldn't disagree with all of your points more.

Of course the isarn voters would vote democrat if they got a bigger handout.

You arrived here not long ago I can tell.

The dems pretended isaan didn't exist for donkeys years. Some areas were staunch communist which the army took a very dim view of.

Can anyone blame them for voting anything but democrat?

Edited by Thai at Heart

The Dems are only doing what think is the right move mind you I think it is their only move

The wield no power at Gov't house. What was good for the RED / PTP is good for the Dems

If they do not do something an try to turn the tides, some guy in dubuy will be back and will

end up being PM again

IMO he is buying people and groups off in an order to facilitate this

Thailand will be ruled a a family / dictator and all those who were and are against him had

better watch out. Believe not what he says ... vengence will be his if give a chance

• Like 1

Yes, maybe the Dems could try and win an election, voters, and stuff such as that, rather than pointless complaining. As for the Dems being "well-mannered", these are guys (by whatever label), who shut down swampy and the PMs HQ, plus massive street protests. Conservatives are not more well-mannered that lefties, just more hypocritical about it.

The PAD who did all the things you say the dems did are not allied to the dems. They were fiercely critical of the last dem government because they would not follow their rabid nationalistic policies. As for lefties, what lefties? PT and the UDD are as right wing as any group in Thailand.

• Like 1

The Dems are only doing what think is the right move mind you I think it is their only move

The wield no power at Gov't house. What was good for the RED / PTP is good for the Dems

If they do not do something an try to turn the tides, some guy in dubuy will be back and will

end up being PM again

IMO he is buying people and groups off in an order to facilitate this

Thailand will be ruled a a family / dictator and all those who were and are against him had

better watch out. Believe not what he says ... vengence will be his if give a chance

sorry LL,

"..........and will

end up being PM again President for Life.

Don't you think legal action should be used when people do something illegal?

Well mannered is another word for letting somebody else to do the dirty work ! What most people would like to see is the democrats actually do something constructive for the majority of Thai people across this whole country. It seems that they come up with some good reforms but that is where it always ends, only talk and no action, that guy Thaksin actually took some of the dems ideas and put them in place and was rewarded for them by the voters. Please wake and see the light and start being proactive . IF they can do that It will surely improve this country ten fold.

“We are gathering up the masses, people left behind by this government,” Sathit Wongnongtoey, a Democrat Party member of Parliament, told the crowd on Saturday in front of a backdrop with a huge clenched fist. “We will rise up and fight.”

And this is less threatening than liking a post on Facebook how? Whatever. Big events are coming again, folks.

The Democrats power base used to be the elite but over the last few years as the middle class has grown this has become their main support and the middle classes are becoming more vocal due to the fact that it is they that bear the burden of paying for things like the rice buying fiasco as they are the ones that pay the most taxes. The poor, well they are to poor to pay any and as in all countries the rich aviod them( taxes)

It's about time for the Democrats to do something, they can't just sit by and let Thaksin take over this country.

Ahh, like perhaps winning an election?

Once Abhisit masters the concept of winning an election he can bring his platform to the people.

Another good old GK comment. Don't you see that this country is being mismanaged? Complete industries are being destroyed.

It's about time for the Democrats to do something, they can't just sit by and let Thaksin take over this country.

Ahh, like perhaps winning an election?

Once Abhisit masters the concept of winning an election he can bring his platform to the people.

Another good old GK comment. Don't you see that this country is being mismanaged? Complete industries are being destroyed.

He's just takin' the piss as usual; hit 'ignore troll' button.

We all know vote buying, and 80% of the population with little education or knowledge of economics has all to do with it.

I think you are wrong! I am certain if the Dems offered bigger bribes for votes than the PTP did then they would have gotten their vote. It was the outlandish promises of PTP to the rice farmers and the first car scheme and the 300 minimum wage that won them the vote.

also as with most democracies this government did not win the majority of votes only 48% of the voting public. And not that I care which government is in power, but I believe it is PTP who are making the enemies! It is obvious as with everything they do, there is no thought about what these promises might do to the country, and while there may be corruption in both parties, it seems obvious that PTP are far more open to this claim than the Dems were when in power.

Remember all this is for one reason only. To allow the return of a criminal to this country in such a way as to help him avoid going to prison. So this is not a government for the people it is a government for one person.

and at the end of the day It is the Thai public that get what they vote for. They do not in general have a problem with corruption, Just as long as they get theirs! So they have themselves to blame for the mess that is going to hit this country once the music stops.

Oh yes, Thaksin acknowledged them then droped them like a hot potato when he got their vote for a promised better life. Then his sister follows suit with her minimum wage scam with the north east being the last region to have the increase as she knew full well that the impact would be rather devastating to this rural area.

Then she goes out of her way to further acknowledge her family's appreciation by destroying the rice market. Class act indeed.

• Like 1

For those of you saying 'the Dems should try winning an election blah blah blah', The Dems know that already and will do so when the next election comes. Meanwhile the criminals in the ruling PT government don't like that the current laws mean they can't do what they want to do and are trying to change the laws so that they can release their friends from prison and bring criminal number 1 Taksin home. THERE IS NO GOOD THAT CAN COME FROM THIS for the kingdom of Thailand so the Dems have been forced to act in the interests of the country, they are trying to stop bad people from doing bad things. Good on 'em I say and if foreigners had any say in these things then I would join the protests myself...

The Democrats power base used to be the elite but over the last few years as the middle class has grown this has become their main support and the middle classes are becoming more vocal due to the fact that it is they that bear the burden of paying for things like the rice buying fiasco as they are the ones that pay the most taxes. The poor, well they are to poor to pay any and as in all countries the rich aviod them( taxes)

There are only a few million tax payers.

80% of the working population don't pay a penny in income tax.

Sathit said we are gathering up the masses , the people left behind by the PTP , never a truer word spoken, this is the sort of stuff that's got to be used, the days of being the polite guy's are well and truly over , you are dealing with thugs and criminals , what comes around go's around , go get em guys.clap2.gif

I pity where some members get there History lessons...must be on this forum. Please oh please research the internet Look at the creation of the Dem Party..Prime Minister Pridi with his core supporters from Isaan, read and try to understand why he had to live in Paris in exile for 30+years etc etc and the people behind it. The original Thai rak Thai was the first party for 50 years who gave something to the poor and now you think they are being left behind. Jog onbah.gif

• Like 1