Does a UK visa give you access to the EU ?

In a few years time I am thinking of taking my Thai wife to the UK for a holiday for maybe 2-3 months, whilst there we would like to take a Eurostar break to Paris for 2 or 3 nights, does my UK visa for her cover this and if not how would I have to deal with this situation?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice, I do appreciate that in the time in between things could change anyway, but the current position would be what?

No, but if you are a UK passport holder you can apply for a Visa for France for you wife by mail.

I did the same for my wife a few years back. Back then it cost GBP12 and it took just one week.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for that, applying to the French Embassy. Can that be done in London in person?

No, if you both live in Thailand you should apply here, as you should apply in your country of residence.

There is a fair level of proof required for a Schengen Visa, confirmed travel and hotel bookings and travel insurance.

However if you are married, and an EU but not French citizen the visa is free and the level of proof is considerably less, as you will be exercising your right of free movement within the EU.

@nong38, I do note that you are considering this trip a few years hence, a lot could change in a few years, I would advise you to ask again much nearer the time.

The UK is not likely to join the Schengen Agreement, I think.

Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app