Refused a visa.. what should I do now.. ?

For her to obtain a UK visa, visit or settlement, there is no requirement for you to return to Thailand.

If settlement then as you will have seen if you have read the financial requirements in the pinned topic I linked to before it will be better for you to stay in the UK and get a job paying the minimum required income; unless you have substantial savings.

You will also see that it would be better for her to apply as your spouse rather than fiancée (you don't qualify as unmarried partners) and to do that you will need to return to Thailand to marry her.

But you can do that as a visitor on a standard 30 day entry.

An alternative, assuming her ex has custody of the child and they live in the UK, is for her to obtain an access to child visa; see Parent of a child in the UK and VAT23 - Parents with access rights to children in the UK.

Although classed as a visit visa, it is actually valid for 12 months and at the end of that time she could apply to remain in the UK indefinitely.

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no such thing as a working visa. Would you find a teaching position and stay with your gf for a while, you might find out if you really love her, or if she really loves you.

Then you'd be on a Non- B visa provided by the school. ( At least the documents for it).

Chances to get a job in your field are pretty slim. You could get a teaching job, check her out and go back home, if it turns out that you're just filling in a gap.

Considering your post, you DO NOT KNOW each other well enough to think about a future together. Getting married etc...Good luck.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

I appreciate the advice and, have already acted on some of it given. I think it's about finding those who are positively looking to help.

But I really did throw myself out here.. yeah!? XD

Have a good evening chaps

When the rain falls ... some falls outside the umbrella.

To Roy .. you have many guys here lining up trying to help you from different viewpoints.

Like rain ... if you are a Farmer ... some rain is directly beneficial to your planted crop.

Some rain, like a river, takes a time to reach a point near you that is beneficial to you.

Most rain is beneficial .. it's how you use it that benefits you.

Embrace the rain ... we are all wishing you well with our posts.

As a support Forum, we have differing viewpoints.

But most, if not all, are trying to help you.

• Like 1

For her to obtain a UK visa, visit or settlement, there is no requirement for you to return to Thailand.

If settlement then as you will have seen if you have read the financial requirements in the pinned topic I linked to before it will be better for you to stay in the UK and get a job paying the minimum required income; unless you have substantial savings.

You will also see that it would be better for her to apply as your spouse rather than fiancée (you don't qualify as unmarried partners) and to do that you will need to return to Thailand to marry her.

An alternative, assuming her ex has custody of the child and they live in the UK, is for her to obtain an access to child visa; see Parent of a child in the UK and VAT23 - Parents with access rights to children in the UK.

Although classed as a visit visa, it is actually valid for 12 months and at the end of that time she could apply to remain in the UK indefinitely.

7x7, that has all changed, I think. The Child Access Visa is now a settlement visa, and the applicant must meet all of the settlement requirements. It is a 33 month visa, with another 30 months FLTR to apply for in the UK. It is also why I asked earlier about whether there is any contact between the applicant and her daughter in the UK. I am in correspondence with UKV&I about the requirements for this category of visa, as I have questioned the published requirements. UKV&I Bangkok have had to refer to their UK Policy Division as they are unable to answer my questions !

ultimately I'd love to be able to put these new qualifications to use, before I start forgetting what I've learnt :/

However teaching would fill the gap. I wonder if I could teach IT/computer science, rather than English?

Your right about not knowing, but with her also having a daughter, me wanting to work in the field I've trained to follow, and them being poor.. it puts a matter of urgency on things. Not being fully thai lingual I'll probably never know "like most" what the hell's going on, and If I did, I'd probably not want to.

Cheers Krab

There's no such thing as a working visa. Would you find a teaching position and stay with your gf for a while, you might find out if you really love her, or if she really loves you.

Then you'd be on a Non- B visa provided by the school. ( At least the documents for it).

Chances to get a job in your field are pretty slim. You could get a teaching job, check her out and go back home, if it turns out that you're just filling in a gap.

Considering your post, you DO NOT KNOW each other well enough to think about a future together. Getting married etc...Good luck.-wai2.gif

The parent of a UK child visa is interest, and certainly worth looking in to deeper.

Thank you.

So Tony, this is now under a settlement visa requirement. That could have worked-out much better.

7x7, that has all changed, I think. The Child Access Visa is now a settlement visa, and the applicant must meet all of the settlement requirements. It is a 33 month visa, with another 30 months FLTR to apply for in the UK. It is also why I asked earlier about whether there is any contact between the applicant and her daughter in the UK. I am in correspondence with UKV&I about the requirements for this category of visa, as I have questioned the published requirements. UKV&I Bangkok have had to refer to their UK Policy Division as they are unable to answer my questions !

It really does depend on what you want to do, either live in the UK or live in Thailand. If you want to live in the UK ( both of you ) then I think it might be possible to get a visa, either as your wife/fiancee or a "child access visa". There are very different requirements for each one. The cost of the visa ( the application fee) is the same for both.

If you meet the financial requirement for a spouse or fiancee visa, then that is probably easier. If not, then you can look at the child access route. As I said, I am in correspondence with the UKV&I about the requirements for a Child Access visa as I believe them to be ambivalent. I'm waiting for them to reply.

Tony M

Thanks for the update, Tony. I missed the bit in the ECGs about them applying to applications prior to 9/7/12!

The immigration rules don't seem to have been updated yet either!

I did wonder about the financial side.

VAF4A - Appendix 5 - Parent exercising access rights seems to indicate that there is no specific requirement, just adequate maintenance without recourse to public funds.

But from his posts it seems the OP has yet to decide what he wants to do; so maybe best we leave it until he does.

Thanks for the update, Tony. I missed the bit in the ECGs about them applying to applications prior to 9/7/12!

VAF4A - Appendix 5 - Parent exercising access rights seems to indicate that there is no specific requirement, just adequate maintenance without recourse to public funds.

But from his posts it seems the OP has yet to decide what he wants to do; so maybe best we leave it until he does.

It is meeting the financial requirement for the child access visa that I am querying with UKV&I. The applicant must show that he/she can maintain and accommodate themselves adequately. The question is, how is (s)he supposed to show that she can do that when the only contact (s)he has in the UK is probably the child ( and maybe an ex-partner who has no intention of helping her financially) ? There are also considerations under Article 8 ( the child, as an EU citizen, has certain rights, and the applicant should have some derived rights as the parent of an EU citizen). Shades of Zambrano.

Tony M

7by7 I wish it was a case of deciding what MYSELF would like to do however it ain't. Like I've said a million times I'd love to pursue a life in the UK as priority one, but if this is going to take a long time to purse then I'd happily continue to live Thailand for the mean time?

The non-uk-resident-parent visa sounds promising, even if it does require more work.

P.s I'm assuming OP means.. old-person.. and me

Edited by RoyEngland

I'm assuming the both run along side each other. To get one I need to present the other, in other words I need to prove a relationship in Thailand so we can move to the UK. Is this not the case?

Child visa would allow time to develop it further while she also gets daughter access.

Btw Thanks

It really does depend on what you want to do, either live in the UK or live in Thailand. If you want to live in the UK ( both of you ) then I think it might be possible to get a visa, either as your wife/fiancee or a "child access visa". There are very different requirements for each one. The cost of the visa ( the application fee) is the same for both.

If you meet the financial requirement for a spouse or fiancee visa, then that is probably easier. If not, then you can look at the child access route. As I said, I am in correspondence with the UKV&I about the requirements for a Child Access visa as I believe them to be ambivalent. I'm waiting for them to reply.

Tony M

Edited by RoyEngland

If you are going for settlement in the UK for her as your fiancée or spouse then you do not need to have lived in Thailand with her.

You, or rather she, do need to show that your relationship is real and substantive; but you do not need to have lived together. The only requirement in the rules is that you must have met; which you have done.

The rest of the relationship can be long distance, i.e. by phone, email, Skype etc.; though obviously the more often you have visited her in Thailand the better.

But there is no need for you to live in Thailand, unless you want to.

This is definitely one of the most confusing posts I have read and the advice of some to teach English may be wide of the mark (I never believed that monkey typewriter thing)

I ran the post through the enigma machine and this is what came out the business end...

I think my story is pretty standard, I had kids and had to put my life on hold.

I later came to Thailand and checked my brain in at the airport then subsequently forgot to get it back.
I was like a lamb to the slaughter and followed the first pair of batting brown eyes I saw.
Although there are more free and available women in Thailand than there are 7/11's I had to go sniffing around another guys woman when they were having trouble and we became 'friends' (with benefits).
She gave me a sob story about her kids coming first *sigh* and went off on the inevitable 'dump the baby' run to the UK with her real fella (better than sending it back to mum up country I suppose).
She kept me on the hook and when the call for more money came I was stupid enough to answer it.
Being a mug I paid for the flight to bring this sweet gem of a girl back to Thailand because a woman of her character is priceless *facepalm*.
On arriving back in Bkk she had a ready made home staying at my place, rent free.
She was refused a visa for the UK *you don't say...*
Even though I have a son who loves me and needs me I still can't stop chasing after this bit of fluff.
Although I am too daft to hire an agent (who would fall off their chair laughing) and too daft to use google to research the requirements for a visa and even though she doesn't fill any criteria for a visa I want to bring her to the UK where she can teach me a thing or two about TRUST.
You want help? Read and digest this I guess with the rose tinted's off it is the best help you will find!
  • Like 1

Appreciate your input

If you are going for settlement in the UK for her as your fiancée or spouse then you do not need to have lived in Thailand with her.

You, or rather she, do need to show that your relationship is real and substantive; but you do not need to have lived together. The only requirement in the rules is that you must have met; which you have done.

The rest of the relationship can be long distance, i.e. by phone, email, Skype etc.; though obviously the more often you have visited her in Thailand the better.

But there is no need for you to live in Thailand, unless you want to.

Good job..

And best of luck to you ;)

This is definitely one of the most confusing posts I have read and the advice of some to teach English may be wide of the mark (I never believed that monkey typewriter thing)

I ran the post through the enigma machine and this is what came out the business end...

I think my story is pretty standard, I had kids and had to put my life on hold.

I later came to Thailand and checked my brain in at the airport then subsequently forgot to get it back.
I was like a lamb to the slaughter and followed the first pair of batting brown eyes I saw.
Although there are more free and available women in Thailand than there are 7/11's I had to go sniffing around another guys woman when they were having trouble and we became 'friends' (with benefits).
She gave me a sob story about her kids coming first *sigh* and went off on the inevitable 'dump the baby' run to the UK with her real fella (better than sending it back to mum up country I suppose).
She kept me on the hook and when the call for more money came I was stupid enough to answer it.
Being a mug I paid for the flight to bring this sweet gem of a girl back to Thailand because a woman of her character is priceless *facepalm*.
On arriving back in Bkk she had a ready made home staying at my place, rent free.
She was refused a visa for the UK *you don't say...*
Even though I have a son who loves me and needs me I still can't stop chasing after this bit of fluff.
Although I am too daft to hire an agent (who would fall off their chair laughing) and too daft to use google to research the requirements for a visa and even though she doesn't fill any criteria for a visa I want to bring her to the UK where she can teach me a thing or two about TRUST.
You want help? Read and digest this I guess with the rose tinted's off it is the best help you will find!

looking at this i find the whole thing so complicated realtionship yes love is great but some times you have to look at the overall position what if she comes to the uk and starts to see her daughter again are you going to like the idea as this other guy will apear on the scene againand yes lots of $$$$$$$$$$

to spend on her and family she allready asked you for money that wont stop im a cynical person a friend mine done what you doing and now he has 2 children liveing in his 1 bedroom flat not his and she dont want him any more but she wont go so he sleeps front room and cant get her out she told him he can go if he dont like it could i be bothered with other people kids and men in the back ground find an educated single female as you seem intelligent with no bagage marry have your own children and live happily ever after goodluck

• Like 1

Appreciate the input, and it wasn't quiet asking for air-fare more of a plea. There is a lot more to the story I won't share.

I feel responsible as her ex started using me as an excuse to keep their daughter far away. So the least I'd be happy doing is the non-uk parent visa, if things develop from there I'm all for it. I'm aware my life could be a whole lot easier however I have money and I'm in a position to help. So why not.

looking at this i find the whole thing so complicated realtionship yes love is great but some times you have to look at the overall position what if she comes to the uk and starts to see her daughter again are you going to like the idea as this other guy will apear on the scene againand yes lots of $$$$$$$$$$

to spend on her and family she allready asked you for money that wont stop im a cynical person a friend mine done what you doing and now he has 2 children liveing in his 1 bedroom flat not his and she dont want him any more but she wont go so he sleeps front room and cant get her out she told him he can go if he dont like it could i be bothered with other people kids and men in the back ground find an educated single female as you seem intelligent with no bagage marry have your own children and live happily ever after goodluck

My dear friend you really do go round in circles. Only you can decide what you want for yourself and your girlfriend.

I would suggest you tried to start again from a 'blank canvas'.. You don't need advice from a multitude of advisers you just need to do your own research from the advice provided by the 'official' UK government site

Agree with your girfriend that you will work together to povide all the necessary information to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that your partner's application is such that a visa cannot be denied

Be patient, it may take a couple of years or more, but spend as much time in Thailand as you can establishing your relationship further and make sure that all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted before you eventually submit your application

• Like 1

Actually, it's used in two ways.

'OP' normally means the 'Opening Post' ... the original question in other words.

But when the term 'OP' is referred to in a personal manner, it means Opening Poster.

It's a defining term, not a derogatory term.

BTW (By The Way), if it's not too personal of a question ... what is the approximate age difference between you the lady you refer to in the OP?

This forum is supposed to be for productivve, constructive dialect - i suggest you keep that in mind for your future posts!

Others may disagree ... but I reckon it's a bit rich that a new member, with 4 posts to his credit, comes to this forum and tell us what the Forum should or should not be.

So, in your words ... I suggest you keep that in mind for your future posts!

My friend, all i am trying to say is that Ron clearly needs advice on a difficult situation. He doesn't need people tarnishing him with a brush that many get tarnished with.

Apologies if i have caused offence but i tend to consider other peoples feelings and if i were to receive those comments i would for sure be offended.

It doesn't matter whether i am a new member or not, that should not come into it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion i totally agree with that but some things are uncalled for. I'm not going to get into a slanging match on who is right or who is wrong on this because ultimately the subject title is to do with a visa problem and not an opinion on whether 'newbies' are placed in a hierarchy to be able to comment or not on something.

Cheers and if there was an emotion for a handshake, i'd offer it!

A post containing personal information, including an email has been deleted. This is against forum rules. If you wish to give someone contact information, you can use the PM function. Please be aware that the forum rules apply to PM's.

As already stated above we were and are living together, however I'm now back in the UK until decided on best method to progress.

Sorry, what is the point of the question.. ?

if you are not living together how are you in a civil partnership?

I think what the OP has said is:

He met a girl in Thailand who had a kid with another English guy.

The girl went to the UK on a v/v (family v/v or whatever?) to see the ex (current?) bf to deposit said kid.

He gave her some money to return to Thailand as mission accomplished/she had a row with the current/ex fella.

He had previously lived with her for 6 months (not the two years required) so he thinks he can get an "unmarried partners visa" - which may be a bit difficult if she's just applied to visit another bloke and "maybe" said she was his gf...which may explain the recent refusal?

Also, he already stated above "we were and are living together, however I'm now back in the UK"...Err....so you are not living with her then as you are in two different countries.

Is this correct? Not sure as it took me about 4 attempts to read the goobledegook whistling.gif

RAZZ

RAZZ ... next time I meet you (which will be the first time BTW) ... I'll buy you a beer ... drunk.gif ... I can interpret and rewrite meatboy's posts ... but this OP was a bridge too far, even for me.

Take a shout (round of beers) out of petty cash ... I'm good for it ... rolleyes.gif

thanks dai are you sure you dont have any welsh blood in you.

even i am confused with the op's story,maybe he has welsh blood in him from the north i expect.

when are you coming for a beer with me?

• Like 1

I wasn't sure, came across as derogatory. Anyway, age gap is 3-4 years.

Actually, it's used in two ways.

'OP' normally means the 'Opening Post' ... the original question in other words.

But when the term 'OP' is referred to in a personal manner, it means Opening Poster.

It's a defining term, not a derogatory term.

BTW (By The Way), if it's not too personal of a question ... what is the approximate age difference between you the lady you refer to in the OP?

I understand what your getting at, and you do get the odd tool but I understand that when you come to seek help/advice on an internet forum is it global so you do get a % of people who aren't interested in helping, just hole pokers with nothing better to do. Their choice. Yesterday I spend the day repairing my house, organising my sons 18th, and researching further repair and advice.. and the gym. Wish I had the time to try look a clever ar5e. XD

People don't need to question why and where from the original post, it's obvious they're not interested in helping, I was only looking to give an outline to leave questions for those that are looking to help and I got them. I have a better idea of what my options are, and what my next step can be so it's been a success. The rest is my business, and not the reason I'm on an internet forum.

Anyways, thanks for the help and concerns and I will write those back who are interested in helping. ;)

My friend, all i am trying to say is that Ron clearly needs advice on a difficult situation. He doesn't need people tarnishing him with a brush that many get tarnished with.

Apologies if i have caused offence but i tend to consider other peoples feelings and if i were to receive those comments i would for sure be offended.

It doesn't matter whether i am a new member or not, that should not come into it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion i totally agree with that but some things are uncalled for. I'm not going to get into a slanging match on who is right or who is wrong on this because ultimately the subject title is to do with a visa problem and not an opinion on whether 'newbies' are placed in a hierarchy to be able to comment or not on something.

Cheers and if there was an emotion for a handshake, i'd offer it!

Come to Thailand, marry this woman, show money in the bank to support her/yourself and apply for a Non O visa based on marriage, have a look at job opportunites, maybe you could teach English, then have her apply for a visa for your home country as your wife....

That is what I would do.

Hope this helps

THAT'S IS THE RIGHT ANSWER! If you love this woman, come to Thailand, get married, open a bank account, and apply for a marriage visa showing your income and your savings. If you cannot meet the income, take a few months to get a English teacher certification and look for a teaching job. You will get a teaching job, somewhere in Thailand for sure, and you will get a work permit. With time you may even get a job in your profession. After getting married and established here you and your wife can start the fight to get her daughter back or to move to your country.

Which “English teacher” gets paid the 400,000 baht a year required for a marriage visa extension ?

Come to Thailand, marry this woman, show money in the bank to support her/yourself and apply for a Non O visa based on marriage, have a look at job opportunites, maybe you could teach English, then have her apply for a visa for your home country as your wife....

That is what I would do.

Hope this helps

THAT'S IS THE RIGHT ANSWER! If you love this woman, come to Thailand, get married, open a bank account, and apply for a marriage visa showing your income and your savings. If you cannot meet the income, take a few months to get a English teacher certification and look for a teaching job. You will get a teaching job, somewhere in Thailand for sure, and you will get a work permit. With time you may even get a job in your profession. After getting married and established here you and your wife can start the fight to get her daughter back or to move to your country.

Which “English teacher” gets paid the 400,000 baht a year required for a marriage visa extension ?

I met a few getting paid over 100k a month plus bennies but they worked at int schools