Marry Thai While On Tourist Visa?

Ok, theoretical question.

US citizen visiting Thailand on 30 day no-visa required entry.

1. Can I extend my stay without leaving Thailand?

2. If I get married to a Thai, how do I extend in that case?

3. Can you ever be granted more than 30 days at the time of entry w/o a preceeding visa application?

Let's assume we want to live in Thailand indefintiely as a married couple.

Thanks

LA

A 30 day permit on arrival is only able to be extended by 10 days. You need to apply for a non-immigrant O class visa outside Thailand to be able to stay on in Thailand based on marriage. You need to extend that visa at Immigration and to do that you need to comply with income / banking requirements.

You can marry on your present visa status.

You must obtain a visa to receive more than a 30 day stay stamp. If you marry you can obtain a non immigrant visa class O which will allow a stay of 90 days or the multi entry version which allows stays of 90 days for a period of a year (you have to exit country every 90 days). If you can put 200,000 baht (may increase in future) into a Thai bank account and provide support to your wife you can apply for one year extensions inside Thailand on the basis of this support.

Ok, so let me see if I have this right.

Once married, theoretically, I can take a day trip, exit thailand ( let's assume with my Thai wife ), and get an multi-O upon re-entry?

What is the chance they will not grant this?

LA

Take the wife with you. Have her bring her Thai ID and the marriage papers. You shouldn't have a problem. But it won't be a single day trip. You'll need two days.

Take the wife with you. Have her bring her Thai ID and the marriage papers. You shouldn't have a problem. But it won't be a single day trip. You'll need two days.

You obtain the visa, after providing proof/photos/paying, at the Royal Thai Consulate on Penang Island and return with it in your passport and at the border will receive a 90 day stay stamp. Visa applications are accepted only in the morning and visa will be ready the following afternoon (after 2PM) if no holiday involved.

We have assumed you will have a legal Thai marriage; meaning it has been registered at the District Office and you have received marriage certificates.

• 2 weeks later...
You must obtain a visa to receive more than a 30 day stay stamp. If you marry you can obtain a non immigrant visa class O which will allow a stay of 90 days or the multi entry version which allows stays of 90 days for a period of a year (you have to exit country every 90 days). If you can put 200,000 baht (may increase in future) into a Thai bank account and provide support to your wife you can apply for one year extensions inside Thailand on the basis of this support.

Let me see if I understand it.

The multi-O has no income / banking requirements. ( I will be marrie to Thai wife ).

To get the 1 year, stay in country extension, I will need income / money in bank.

Correct?

Thanks

LA

Let me see if I understand it.

The multi-O has no income / banking requirements. ( I will be marrie to Thai wife ).

To get the 1 year, stay in country extension, I will need income / money in bank.

Correct?

Thanks

LA

You got it exactly correct. If I were you I'd think long and hard about aimlessly border hopping every 30 days. It is said to be a recipe for disaster for you in the near future.