If restaurants ran themselves like airlines

hermespan

No more $12.95 buffets, kids half price, 6-9 pm

Instead everyone dining in the restaurant is paying a different price

There are 63 different prices depending on whether you use chopsticks or fork and spoon, whether you need a high chair for your child or sit at the counter, made your reservation 3 days in advance or just dropped in, paid cash or by credit card, dined at 6pm or 7:30 pm. have a loyalty card or not.

And when the bill comes not only is tax added, but so are multiple fees: the cleaner's fee, refridgerator maintenance, waitress surcharge and food poisoning insurance.

Argh...

Well honestly, other than a buffet or prix fixe, most people do pay different prices for their meals. I mean, isn't that why they have a menu? With different prices for different items, sometimes based on cost?

Some airlines, like LCCs. do operate on the "buffet" model. Many/most offer discounts for children.

Not sure what the point here is, other than to say that you've just discovered that airline pricing is somewhat unique, with the same perishable commodity, an Economy seat, having as many as 15 different prices. Some, but not all, of the price differences can be explained with the actual content, while others are a bit more challenging to explain.

• Like 1

Well honestly, other than a buffet or prix fixe, most people do pay different prices for their meals. I mean, isn't that why they have a menu? With different prices for different items, sometimes based on cost?

Some airlines, like LCCs. do operate on the "buffet" model. Many/most offer discounts for children.

Not sure what the point here is, other than to say that you've just discovered that airline pricing is somewhat unique, with the same perishable commodity, an Economy seat, having as many as 15 different prices. Some, but not all, of the price differences can be explained with the actual content, while others are a bit more challenging to explain.

Easy to see that you probably work for the airlines. How do you justify every customer on the plane has paid a different price, yet is sitting in the same seat, for the same product. Would you allow an in-flight survey done by me asking everyone the fare that they paid, or would that action make you cancel the flight to have me removed?

Easy to see that you probably work for the airlines.

Oy vey. I do not work for any airline, nor have I ever done so.

I do not have to justify anything. I am merely trying to help people understand the world they live in.

You should feel free to conduct whatever surveys make you feel better.

Why is it that people try to tar anyone with the insider insult here whenever they try to explain reality?

FWIW, I've been accused of working for DTAC, and AIS, just in the past 48 hours.

Presumably if restaurants COULD do this yield management they would.

But no, I used to be a window cleaner owner-operator in the retail market. I never added surcharges for paper towels, a parking surcharge, a surcharge for smokers, etc etc - I just looked at it, did a mental calculation (ballpark) and gave the prosoective customer a price because I hate complications in pricing. I like an all-inclusive price, otherwise service becomes like an Indian low-end prostitute, every two minutes, 'Oh, you want me to remove my clothes, that'll be X rupees extra', 'You want to be able to kiss me, that'll be X rupees extra'.

"Just give me a simple price, sister!"

Presumably if restaurants COULD do this yield management they would.

They do. The fact that you remain blissfully unaware of this probably says more about you than you might be aware.

Restaurants sell many things: food, service, ambience, prestige, wine, excitement, novelty, and a seat.

They try to 'yield' as much revenue from each customer as possible.

They have "Specials" and other items which might sell out, and/or otherwise be unavailable. They offer promotions, discounts, early-bird specials, day-of-week specials, loyalty rewards/programs, bonuses, free parking, etc.

While every customer might get the same seat in the restaurant, more or less (romantic table with a view might require a reservation), they each probably pay a different overall price for their "meal"

I'd submit that most modern customer service oriented businesses practice some form of yield management.

** Full Disclosure: I do not now, nor have I ever, owned/operated/managed a restaurant. I have eaten in one.
Edited by lomatopo