Thai govt's political reform council to create new roadmap

webfact

NATIONAL RECONCILIATION
New council to create reform roadmap

The Nation

Panel to have guide ready in three months, will consider previous proposals

BANGKOK: -- THE GOVERNMENT'S Political Reform Council should be able to come up with a roadmap for political, economic and social reform within three months as evidence of its sincerity, participants in the reform forum said.

House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont said the political reform forum had resolved that committees be set up to write the roadmap.

Senate Speaker Nikom Wairat-panij, meanwhile, said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's determination should create confidence among foreigners, adding that she should be able to easily push for real political reform.

"What we came up with [at the forum on Sunday] was that Chart Thai Pattana Party's chief adviser Banharn Silapa-Archa would coordinate to get a roadmap drawn up for the present and the future. I suggest that recommendations proposed by previous panels led by Prawase Wasi, Anand Panyarachun and Kanit na Nakorn should be considered, and though the situation might be different, we can learn from the past. I think we should see the roadmap take form within three months," he said.

However, Khon Kaen Senator Prasert Prakoonsuksapan, who attended the forum, called on the government to make rampant corruption its first priority.

"Only I and another member raised this in the forum, and the PM just responded by saying 'I will ensure transparency'. This is far too vague. I want to know exactly how the PM can combat corruption," he said.

Thirapat Serirangsan, chairman of the Political Development Council, said he wanted to see if the government was sincere about reform. "The government needs to show concrete results within three months or it will lose credibility," he said at the forum.

Though he was sceptical, Thirapat agreed to join the government's initiative, saying if the government proved its sincerity to push for reform, people with different views might change their minds.

Suwat Liptapanlop, de facto leader of Chart Pattana Party, said the government was heading in the right direction, as it had to be responsible for the state of the country, especially in terms of the current political and economic situation. However, it would need more cooperation from all sectors of society.

Asked whether former premier Thaksin Shinawatra should join, Suwat said every Thai had the right to offer their opinions.

King Prajadhipok's Institute deputy secretary-general Woothisarn Tanchai, another participants expressed confidence in the potential of the political reform council, reasoning that it consisted of knowledgeable people who can brainstorm for the reform. He also voiced support for Banharn as coordinator of the reform saying he had had extensive experience in pushing for a reform and would help find the country's solutions to current conflicts.

"I suggested that the government comes up with concrete achievement within three months to find solutions for the country as many sectors have put high hope to the council, he said after referring to the government's announcement to take action within one month.

He said the government must also be sincere in inviting those with different views to join the panel to prevent criticism that the council was merely the government's mouthpiece.Separately, social critic Prawase, who had previously refused to attend the forum, pointed out that attempts to introduce economic, political and moral reforms in the country had failed because Thai society was weak. "We cannot build a strong society if we are not united. Strength must be built from the grassroots level in every sector from political to natural resources," he said.

Democrat spokesman Chava-nond Intarakomalyasut, meanwhile, dismissed the plan for a roadmap saying it would not be new or any different than the recommendations made by previous panels, and alleged the government had a hidden agenda. "The government already has clear objectives about what it wants from the council. I believe its objectives are to amend the charter, issue laws to whitewash those who committed wrongs and return frozen assets to questionable figures."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-27

The magical 90 day deadline again and of course a road map can be produced in that time as it doesn't take much research, consultation or imagination to know what a PTP controlled body will come up with then expect everyone to accept without any opposition.

Unfortunately for them it's not that simple but of course failure to accept the poisoned chalice will be everybody else's fault that the country cannot move forward.

• Like 1

The magical 90 day deadline again and of course a road map can be produced in that time as it doesn't take much research, consultation or imagination to know what a PTP controlled body will come up with then expect everyone to accept without any opposition.

Unfortunately for them it's not that simple but of course failure to accept the poisoned chalice will be everybody else's fault that the country cannot move forward.

It does seem like they want everybody and anybody (Thai) to contribute. From the article I don't get any feeling that such contributions will be heeded. It does seem the forum is just window dressing.
  • Like 1

Road map??? Well let's see Amnesty Thaksin, eradicate the opposition or any rebellious Anti government groups or innovative outside if the box thinking modern people, rip the Falang in their investments, exploit them via Visa, conquer Bangkok, white wash bail out and free all political innocent 'just mentally ill-confused children" from all their crimes and murders that they committed

Everything resulting in Thaksinocracy...

That's the Pheu Thai Roadmap

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 2

However, Khon Kaen Senator Prasert Prakoonsuksapan, who attended the forum, called on the government to make rampant corruption its first priority.

"Only I and another member raised this in the forum, and the PM just responded by saying 'I will ensure transparency'. This is far too vague. I want to know exactly how the PM can combat corruption," he said.

Another typical Yingluck comment.

Why doesn't Yinguck have some dignity and resign for the good of the country. She is clearly unqualified. She has been mismanaging this country for 2 years now. Let's hope this is the price Thailand has to pay before the majority understands that the Shins CANNOT improve the lifes of Thais. She has destroyed complete sectors and just keeps on spending and smiling. Very dangerous lady.

Apologies for repetition:

Mrs Yingluck, there is no need to waste public money and time, the 2 reports of Khun Anand and Dr Prawate have all the answers.

Open and read !

And understand

Dream on Noistar.

Mrs Yingluck, there is no need to waste public money and time, the 2 reports of Khun Anand and Dr Prawate have all the answers.

Open and read !

And understand
Dream on Noistar.
I have a dream, a song to sing..............

Another typical Yingluck comment.

Why doesn't Yinguck have some dignity and resign for the good of the country. She is clearly unqualified. She has been mismanaging this country for 2 years now. Let's hope this is the price Thailand has to pay before the majority understands that the Shins CANNOT improve the lifes of Thais. She has destroyed complete sectors and just keeps on spending and smiling. Very dangerous lady.

But as she's the acceptable face of Thaksin, her success or otherwise must be a reflection of Thaksin's premiership.

Presumably a replacement would still be required to follow the dictated path, but wouldn't be as pretty.

I share your sentiments re mismanagement, but I feel it is her party which needs to accept responsibility (is there a Thai word for that?).

Given acceptance of her political abilities, it's unfair to put blame at her door.

IMO

I noticed last week that 4 of the 5 signs with Yingluck's smiling face had been removed from the intersection down the road.

The only one that had been left was the one with her and Thaksin.

Today I see a new sign with Thaksin and one of his henchmen but no Yingluck.

Is this a sign on the roadmap?

Open and read !

And understand

Dream on Noistar.
I have a dream, a song to sing..............

But nobody in the government is listening.

The only way they can show sincerity is to withdraw the amnesty bill and put the constitution change on hold.

So, the only way to show sincerity is... to keep doing nothing.

It is now two years that the opposition groups force the government to put everything on hold, and at the same time refuse to discuss any alternative (or even a compromise) to their "demands".

The majority has been very patient with the requests of the minority. The government has bowed to the opposition requests several times.

Best is now for oposing camps to swallow their pride and sit together... which is what many important figures are starting to do.

Edited by gerry1011

The only way they can show sincerity is to withdraw the amnesty bill and put the constitution change on hold.

It is now two years that the opposition groups force the government to put everything on hold, and at the same time refuse to discuss any alternative (or even a compromise) to their "demands".

The majority has been very patient with the requests of the minority. The government has bowed to the opposition requests several times.

Best is now for oposing camps to swallow their pride and sit together... which is what many important figures are starting to do.

What's the problem?

Everything seems to be going along swimmingly.

PTP can do whatever they want in the name of democracy.

Seems like they're trying to fix something which isn't broken - a very dangerous game IMO

As is recognised in the article, change must encompass the 'grass roots'.

However, this demand of the majority (presumably yet another blank cheque from the democratic elections), seems to be driven by the politicians and one specific party at that.

Once again I doubt that 'grass roots' have a clue about the problem, let alone an opinion on reform.

Reform will be imposed by the minority (PTP politicians) on 'behalf' of the majority.

The end result will not be a new harmonious, same hymn sheet people, it will be another version of division, with different winners.

Until the 'grass roots' are in the driving seat, this will be yet another example of cynical manipulation of parliamentary democracy by PTP.

Serious reform would start by action against corruption and the start of using rule of law. I'm sure this is way down the list of priorities, so that only leaves trying to achieve benefits to self-interests.

"However, Khon Kaen Senator Prasert Prakoonsuksapan, who attended the forum, called on the government to make rampant corruption its first priority"

Based on riceberg, pink bentleys, THB 75k alarm clocks, THB 200k food allowances...one suspects the govement has already made rampant corruption its first priority .oink oink, maybe the esteemed senator just hasnt received his cut and feeling a bit left out...

I don't quite understand where you got "the government has bowed to the opposition requests several times" from. The only time they bowed to anything were through court injunctions that were filed by the Democrats or the people. That's the only way to stop the government from being a loose cannon. By using what's left of the checks and balance system, they have to work under the rule of law and it's only a matter of time before they do away with that too.

Also, this current amendment to have fully elected senators has its flaws. On the surface it sounds so democratic to have them elected but what lies underneath is a tunnel of worms. They'll be crawling out in the form of family members and unscrupulous people who are willing to do anything for money.

There's just so much wrong with all this talk of reconciliation and political reform. If there's any reform going on, it's to pave the way for a parliamentary dictatorship. Thus it's important that any talks to be held must include the opposition so that they can pinpoint all the loopholes.

• Like 2

I don't quite understand where you got "the government has bowed to the opposition requests several times" from. The only time they bowed to anything were through court injunctions that were filed by the Democrats or the people. That's the only way to stop the government from being a loose cannon. By using what's left of the checks and balance system, they have to work under the rule of law and it's only a matter of time before they do away with that too.

Also, this current amendment to have fully elected senators has its flaws. On the surface it sounds so democratic to have them elected but what lies underneath is a tunnel of worms. They'll be crawling out in the form of family members and unscrupulous people who are willing to do anything for money.

There's just so much wrong with all this talk of reconciliation and political reform. If there's any reform going on, it's to pave the way for a parliamentary dictatorship. Thus it's important that any talks to be held must include the opposition so that they can pinpoint all the loopholes.

Once again, the Thai version of democracy isn't mature enough to support an elected 'check mechanism'. An immaturity which some people will take advantage of at every turn

You been munching on the kratom leaves?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app