Re: bringing Thai medication while traveling back to the US

webworldly

Hey there smile.png . I have a friend who was was prescribed the following from a local BKK clinic two years ago:

• 5 mg prednisolone per day
  • 60 mg thyroid extract per day
  • 20 mg Lasix per day

Her health is much better since she has been on this regimen, so no worries there.

Rather, the issue is that the clinic is no longer in business (it's now a coffee shop under different ownership) and she doesn't have any written record of her prescriptions. While that is not a problem for her while she is in Bangkok, since she has never had trouble purchasing her medications at a pharmacy in BKK, she will be traveling to the US next week. She plans to bring a month's supply of her medications with her, but she has no written evidence of her prescription.

She will not need to purchase any refills while she is there, but to be clear, she is a US citizen and she plans to bring a month's supply of her 3 medications (listed above) with her back to the US. Is her lack of a written prescription from the now defunct BKK medical clinic a problem?

I really appreciate any information you can offer, as she is worried now that I mentioned the potential for problems to her....meaning it's all my fault. bah.gif

CHEERS!

D

I spent about a month trying to get info on taking personal meds into the UK and ended up with no firm answers one way or another.

The best Info I got was from the UK embassy but in the end it still told me very little

There are lists of banned drugs for the UK and I would suspect there will be the same for the US, have ago at looking on google.

You could try e-mailing the US embassy or phoning them to say what they say.

Best advice I got was to carry all personal meds in your carry on bags, don't put them in your check in bags, never know who will open them and what they would do if they found something they suspected were banned drugs.

Customs is very unlikely to be interested in a one month supply of these particular items, none of whoch are controlled substances. But technically:

"Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/kw/medications%20personal/dym/1/sno/1

In addition, if she has a condition that requires daily prednisolone, she would be in any case be well advised to have a brief medical summary with her in case any problems occur while in the US.