Losing face

Phuket electrician

Embarrassing stories makes us human beings. No one can exist without losing face through incompetence, being clumsy, forgetful, down right daft or wrong place, wrong time, plain bad luck.

Falling down somebody else's stairs naked, walking down the high street unaware that yesterdays underwear's flapping out of the bottom of your jeans or compromised with your step sister when mom and pop arrive home early from Tescos. Following thru unexpectedly and thinking you've gotten away with it until you realise you hadn't when others can see the proof and giggle at your misfortune. Saw it once in Spain, unforgettable.

Poor guy in the media today caught 'stealing' B100 from a temple in Karon. It doesn't get any lower than going to your local temple equipped with a balloon stick minus the balloon with a blob of gum on the end to make ends meet. Priceless.

Getting on the wrong express train, wrong ferry, being at the wrong airport. Happens to everyone - yet some people seem to be averse to it. Odd isn't it?

Be careful out there.

• Like 1

Losing face makes for nice memories later on!

When still in secondary school, deeply in thought I walked down the road with a bicycle which had a flat tire, and with the bicycle I bumped into a car which was parked at the side of the road. There was a guy sitting in the car, and he turned around and pointed at his forehead.

• Like 1

Bought the girlfriend a new sit up a beg bike, living in Cambridge England flush with cash, bike city. Thought I'd give it quick cheeky go before tying a ribbon on it and giving it to her. Tested the brakes, stopped dead and went straight over the handle bars.

Not a scratch on it but lost a bit of my face on the tarmac road.

At 5 years old fell out of the 1st floor bedroom window after sitting on the sill, encouraged by my older brother.

Still dead clumsy* too this day.

*Clumsier.

beware of a thai that loses face if a farang is the cause

With all these teenage gangs looking for an easy farang target on Phuket, one should also beware of a Thai trying to "gain face" in the eyes of his peers - can be just as dangerous.

I guess I'm not an easy target then. I went with my dog and relaxed on Rawai Beach about 9 PM for over an hour, no one came near us or bothered us, as usual... I'm glad I'm not paranoid, but then again I have my bodyguard who is always on alert!

• Like 1

With all these teenage gangs looking for an easy farang target on Phuket, one should also beware of a Thai trying to "gain face" in the eyes of his peers - can be just as dangerous.

I guess I'm not an easy target then. I went with my dog and relaxed on Rawai Beach about 9 PM for over an hour, no one came near us or bothered us, as usual... I'm glad I'm not paranoid, but then again I have my bodyguard who is always on alert!

Try riding from Patong back to Rawai after 12am and see how you go. (nothing to do with riding whilst intoxicated)

No paranoia involved - that's a dangerous journey for robbery now.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

Try riding from Patong back to Rawai after 12am and see how you go. (nothing to do with riding whilst intoxicated)

No paranoia involved - that's a dangerous journey for robbery now.

LOL! It has been known to be very dangerous road at night for many years! Nothing new. I don't ride a bike at night! I'm not a fool! I drive a truck with a dog that will attack anyone who threatens me. And why would I ever go to Patong? I haven't in years... I guess you enjoy it there though.

• Like 2

Bought the girlfriend a new sit up a beg bike, living in Cambridge England flush with cash, bike city. Thought I'd give it quick cheeky go before tying a ribbon on it and giving it to her. Tested the brakes, stopped dead and went straight over the handle bars.

Not a scratch on it but lost a bit of my face on the tarmac road.

At 5 years old fell out of the 1st floor bedroom window after sitting on the sill, encouraged by my older brother.

Still dead clumsy* too this day.

*Clumsier.

A clumsy electrician?

Remind me not to employ you!

• Like 1

@ Jimi007

Yes, it has always been a dangerous journey home, BUT, considerably more so now, and not just because of intoxication - due to the high risk of robbery.

As metioned in another thread, I wonder how many foreigners have been kicked off their motorbike, robbed, left to die, and it's put down to a motor vehcile accident, not a robbery.

In recent times, I think you will see that the seriously violent crimes are occurring outside of Patong.

The days of saying, "That only happens in Patong. Patong is not Phuket" are gone.

As far as driving a truck with a dog, well, just the other day a Russian guy was shot in the back, sitting in his car, after a minor road rage incident. I guess the car didn't protect him too well.

By the way, that shooting happened in Rawai - not Patong. :) :)

• Like 2

I would never ask to borrow money, and worse still if one does then not pay it back. This is one of the highest ways to loose face but dosnt seem to apply in Thailand yet a simple thing does...Loosing face issues are just an excuse and not specific to Thailand. Another Thai trait is grassing anyone and everyone, no loosing face issues there either. Get caught grass your mates up...always the Thais do

• Like 1

I think there is different types face savings.

First there is the traditional Thai way. The face saving is always given, never taken. It's basically saying "I know that you made an mistake, but that's ok. We all make mistakes every now and then, after all we are human. So please raise your head and we'll figure out how to fix this together." This is very beautiful gesture, which brings the people together. The thing is that it only works on a good willed society, where people are not all about me, myself and I. This is also part of Thainess, if someone asks what does that actually mean.

Then there is the 'new thai' face saving, which is often quite ugly. Some politicians, morons and equivalents, mix face saving with inability to alter opinions when they are wrong. They are often very low on empathy and try to compensate their lack of self esteem by trying to convince others that the world obits around themselves. These people are often seen wearing huge gold necklaces and multiple large rings. "You go past me, you die. My friends, see I have power. You see?"

may your dog looks like my ones?than I can understand even they are lovely- nobody knows 555

post-160354-0-68468700-1377956552_thumb.

Countries, sensible people and mammals practice self preservation and conflict resolution every minute of the day. Thailand and the Japaneses did so in WWII, my cat and a King cobra did so last week when confronted with each other. Both stood their ground until the adrenalin subsided and wisely went their separate ways too enjoy another day.

Yet an element in society feel it is more important to exert a perceived dominance of others ignorant to the fact what goes around comes around.

Take a look at Mike Tyson.

Be very careful out there.

What a sad state of an society where people come for have a nice holiday, relaxed retirement or a few years partying as a English teacher............dogs as guards, be very careful out there, could believe it was the front yard of a prison. sad.png

Or Phuket in 2013. smile.pngsmile.png

Crime will only get worse and worse here.

Just look at policing and the judicial system here - they are simply not working, or only working to fill their own pockets.

Edited by NamKangMan

may your dog looks like my ones?than I can understand even they are lovely- nobody knows 555

They are GREAT dogs.