I only want to oil my pedal bike

AbeSurd

What on earth has happened to oil since I was a kid and had a pedal bike? Back then I got a small can of soil, brand name perhaps something like "3-in-1 oil", and that's what I oiled my pedal bike with. Easy.

Now I've got a pedal bike again, for the first time for thirty years or more, I can't seem to get anything like this here in Pattaya. Only a very thin, clear watery oil which is ineffective ("Bossco Magic Oil" 30 baht). Or I've been offered a special beeswax lubricant which is only for the chain (200 baht for a small plastic bottle).

Is there nothing like 3-in-1 lubricating oil here in Pattaya?

Thanks.

post-85392-0-76724800-1377617727.jpg

people dont use oil anymore on bikes, they use spray lubricants, which you should be able to get at any half decent bike shop. dont use wd40, it stays wet and attracts dust and grime.

i remember 3-in-one!

happy pedalling.

Thank you. Can you give me a brand name for a spray lubricant? The only spray lubricant I know is WD40 and you're saying I shouldn't use that.

Is this an environmental concern - not using oil?

You do want a thin oil so that it can penetrate the parts of the chain which actually need lubricating. A thin oil will however not last long. There are motorcycle chain lubricants available which combine a thick oil with a solvent. The oil is applied as a thin oil thus penetrating to the link pins and inside of the rollers, the solvent evaporates and leaves behind the thicker oil.

A tip is to always oil your chain from the inside. What I mean is apply the oil along the bottom run of chain which is the side which contacts the sprockets. This will help in not washing dirt into the chain as the dirt typically collects on the outside of the chain. use a small oil can applying drop by drop.

Singer does a 3 in 1 type oil, i bought in Foodland.

Or is that maybe brand name 'Signal'? With a sewing machine logo over a red 'S' underneath? In a white plastic bottle?

If so, I was sold that as 'sewing machine oil' in a hardware store.

It seems to be the same thin, colourless, watery stuff as my "Bossco Magic Oil".

Or is that maybe brand name 'Signal'? With a sewing machine logo over a red 'S' underneath? In a white plastic bottle?

It seems to be the same thin, colourless, watery stuff as my "Bossco Magic Oil".

Possibly a copy!! But the one i bought was definitely Singer as in Singer sewing machines?

Singer does a 3 in 1 type oil sold in most hardware stores, even in Big C, ...... the one I have at this moment says 130 cc bottle and type 'B' bought in Big C, normally buy the smaller one from the next Village DIY/hardware shop

Re 'Now I've got a pedal bike again, for the first time for thirty years or more' how was it ? keeping looking myself but wonder if it is a silly idea as more than 40 years since I rode one, Good Exercise ? For me is 2 km to next Village with some shops and a Market, driving there and back = No Exercise

You do want a thin oil so that it can penetrate the parts of the chain which actually need lubricating. A thin oil will however not last long. There are motorcycle chain lubricants available which combine a thick oil with a solvent. The oil is applied as a thin oil thus penetrating to the link pins and inside of the rollers, the solvent evaporates and leaves behind the thicker oil.

A tip is to always oil your chain from the inside. What I mean is apply the oil along the bottom run of chain which is the side which contacts the sprockets. This will help in not washing dirt into the chain as the dirt typically collects on the outside of the chain. use a small oil can applying drop by drop.

Thanks for the tip about the correct way to oil.

One property of the thin Bossco Magic Oil I used was to splatter itself all over the back wheel once I started pedalling. Not great.

This never used to happen in the good old days of 3-In-One oil!

Household" oil, such as 3 in 1, is a vegetable oil and is acidic. It tends to gum up, best not to use. It really depends on how often you ride and how much money you have spent on the bike. Proper chain oil is the way to go and you should be able to get this from a good motorcycle shop.

Possibly a copy!! But the one i bought was definitely Singer as in Singer sewing machines?

Is your Singer oil proper thickish brown oil? Or colourless thin stuff?

Is your Singer oil proper thickish brown oil? Or colourless thin stuff?

It is light brown but also quite thin.

Singer does a 3 in 1 type oil sold in most hardware stores, even in Big C, ...... the one I have at this moment says 130 cc bottle and type 'B' bought in Big C, normally buy the smaller one from the next Village DIY/hardware shop

Re 'Now I've got a pedal bike again, for the first time for thirty years or more' how was it ? keeping looking myself but wonder if it is a silly idea as more than 40 years since I rode one, Good Exercise ? For me is 2 km to next Village with some shops and a Market, driving there and back = No Exercise

I didn't buy it for exercise. I bought it because I don't have a motorbike or car and I wanted to look around the outlying Pattaya area more. And I'm loving doing that - first thing in the morning or after 4pm on an overcast day. But you certainly have to stay very alert - mostly about other traffic of course. Although the occasional dog can be a problem too. Generally speaking I don't cycle in central Pattaya. And I only ever cycle stone cold sober - and never after dark.

I'm 61 and my blood pressure's starting to get a bit high, so an added benefit was when I first started cycling again my blood pressure seemed to drop radically. Although that effect seems to be dropping off now, even though I'm still cycling as much.

Good luck if you decide to take the plunge.

So is that bottle you have, thin colourless oil or proper brown thick stuff?

• Like 1

Yes is the thin colourless oil, use it on the 2 hair clippers mostly [have 8 long hair dogs so lots of grooming needed]

Many thanks about the bike may well get one, bit older than you, yes blood pressure and diabetic for past 16 years.. so a good reason to get one...... never drink so not a problem

There used to be a double fronted bicycle shop on Thepprasit opposite soi 10. It has now closed, but possibly same owner just east of soi 8 Thepprasit in new bike shop. He has supplied me "Kemex" PTFE spray in a blue can. He told me it's a lot better than WD40 for my bicycle chain and has worked well. The can has a description of "PTFE multi-usage, Anti static corrosion inhibitor" with graphics of chains and hinges. My can is now getting empty so will have to replace soon. I'll try the new shop. NB. Keep spray away from disc brakes.

Wow I am out of touch with bicycles........... so these days they have disc brakes

Sewing Machine Oil like the Singer ones isn't use on bikes these days now, it blackens quickly and is too viscous so it fling on your pants and legs, I use white lithium spray grease on both my push bikes and big motorcycles chain also. WD-40 or Sonax mineral oil spray is bad for chain as they are quite corrosive and modern chains have rubber o-ring in the joints that keeps the grease in from the factory.

It is okay to use the mineral oil spray like WD-40 to get rust off chain though, but then you should clean out the oil and grease with something appropriate.

abe surd, as bathboy said, kemex PTFE spray is good for chains and any other moving parts. lean the bike away from you when spraying, so you dont get lube on the tyre. a few squirts should do, you dont have to drown it.

cleaning and relubing chains is a very popular topic amongst cyclists, everyone seems to have their own way of doing it and what products they prefer.

There used to be a double fronted bicycle shop on Thepprasit opposite soi 10. It has now closed, but possibly same owner just east of soi 8 Thepprasit in new bike shop. He has supplied me "Kemex" PTFE spray in a blue can. He told me it's a lot better than WD40 for my bicycle chain and has worked well. The can has a description of "PTFE multi-usage, Anti static corrosion inhibitor" with graphics of chains and hinges. My can is now getting empty so will have to replace soon. I'll try the new shop. NB. Keep spray away from disc brakes.

Wow I am out of touch with bicycles........... so these days they have disc brakes

Yup! and some of them even have drum brakes on the rear wheel

thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all the advice everyone. This is what I think I've learned...

I could use a silicon spray. But does anyone have a brand name?

Or white lithium spray grease. Again, does anyone have a brand name?

Or Kemex PTFE. Or is Kemex PTFE perhaps a silicon or lithium spray?

WD-40 or Sonax are neither. They're mineral sprays. And I don't want those.

Man, this is highly technical!

Thanks again.