Pattaya Superbikes. Trustworthy?

H1w4yR1da

The price was a little to high for a Honda 400 super for & the titles were dodgy as the rules on imports did change. But I will say he does seem honest when I asked about the green book he did tell me it was a Thai green book & not the real deal.Unfortunately for 300,000 baht that was a real deal breaker for me.

But I will say he does seem honest when I asked about the green book he did tell me it was a Thai green book & not the real deal.

"A 'Thai' green book"?

Not sure what they means. Illegally issued green book?

Yes it will not be a real registered book often the ID numbers are off another bike. I won't purchase a bike for more than 30,000 baht as it may not ever be able to resell when the new owner to be finds out the numbers are modified off another bike.

That is a Thai green book . You can get away with driving it but if push comes to shove the cop ay confiscate the bike & enjoy the freebie. That is why I just bought the ER6n. Full green book! No hassles. Now like if I say for me & this is just me- if the bike was an absolute steal I might go for it....But it has less actual value than a salvaged bike without legal documentation. Some guys have had good luck upcountry but I know 2 people that lost their bikes to the cops. Illegal is illegal if you get caught. And you would always need to carry around good tea money if you get jacked & I don't mean 1000 baht.

But I will say he does seem honest when I asked about the green book he did tell me it was a Thai green book & not the real deal.

"A 'Thai' green book"?

Not sure what they means. Illegally issued green book?

Yes it will not be a real registered book often the ID numbers are off another bike.

Really ?

I know Gareth as a personal friend and he goes to great lengths to ensure all the books are legit.

whilst all bikes in his shop have BKK plates he assures me they can be transferred without issue to any province as per a "legit" book the buyer wants and can be done at the DLT without and "money" changing hands.

I have not purchased a bike though as I reckon they are a tad expensive..... hello legit book.

To the OP, that "bad report" was on a foreign website a few years ago........ Pattaya Superbikes is still doing business so what does that tell you ?

Edited by Spoonman

^^ also, I'm not exactly sure what this 'Thai' greenbook is all about.

If they mean a case where:

1. The numbers in the book match for engine and frame but,

2. The info in the book is incorrect, and

3. The numbers are 'original' and also match the masking tape imprints

Then, absolutely no problems I believe.

The DLT could not care less what the book says, as long as the numbers are correct and the book is genuine.

Please correct me if I am wrong?

(and this is all without tea money)

To the OP, that "bad report" was on a foreign website a few years ago........ Pattaya Superbikes is still doing business so what does that tell you ?

That it's still in business.

And the previous posts tell me that it deals in illegal green books.

But all comments (even yours!) are welcome.

Gareth is really a nice person & I am saying he is honest but indicated to me that the green book would not be the same as it was 5-6 years ago . Since they did all the changes with the imports he has to keep the bikes at his house so the DLT can't check up on him till all the legal work is done so he does not get hammered for reassembling bikes under the new statutes.That is from the horses mouth. And he indicated that it would be a Thai book not a straight up Green book is the reason why I said he is trustworthy in detailing the particulars when asked. Now this is the only country I have ever lived in out of 8 that has a title & a different title. You guys do the math. A Thai book usually has altered documents to make it legal or bent to appear legal. Anywhere else in the world it would be fraud or forgery if anything is not kosher. So why else would he tell me it is a Thai book & explain it as a bent book to fit the bike? And I am sure he has other bikes that do have real green books as not all of them appear to be from the newer laws enacted lately.He IS honest about that & I appreciated that but I don't like the wording that it was a Thai green book & all my other bikes have Legit green books & are called Just green books. He did state to me that the book was not the same as going to Kawasaki & buying a bike made here.

I like Gareth & he seems very honest so why would he tell me it was not the same as a real green book to discourage me from buying the bike if it wasn't true? But the bottom line was the same bike sells in the states or Japan for 50% of the asking price & for that small of a bike I wasn't a buyer.I could get the same 2010 bike in Bang Saray with no papers but invoice papers for 155,000 & turn it legal for 60,000 baht & go through the rigamarole of the emissions . It is just easier & safer for me & that again is just me to have a bike that has a clean green book. Years ago I bought a car that had papers that didn't match the ID numbers & I never liked owning it because of the legality's . But in response to the OP's post I am saying that Gareth is an honest man. Better to turn a customer away with the truth than to slam someone into a purchase unknown eh?

That & also there have been numerous posts on TV about legit green books or not perfect Thai green books.

Edited by Beardog

I would think it's better to just deal in bikes that are 100% legitimate rather than transfer fake titles- admitting that the bike has forged paperwork but selling it anyway falls a bit south of 'honest', IMHO.

I don't know this shop and I certainly can't make any claims against it, but if the post above is accurate, than- to me- that's not the proper way to do business.

• Like 1

what is a "Thai Green Book" ?

The consensus seems to be that it is a 'grey' green book that MAY have been re-used. But not sure as it could also mean that it is an official book BUT for a 2nd hand imported bike (having tax details on PG 18) eg not like a bike manufactured here in Thailand.

At the end of the day. The OP should just go down and look.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well thanks for that amazing piece of advice.To be honest, at the end of the day, I'd rather just ask a question in the Bikes forum. After all, that's what it's there for.

The DLT could not care less what the book says, as long as the numbers are correct and the book is genuine.

I bet the BIB who's about to confiscate your bike at a police checkpoint cares that it's not a legitimate green book.
  • Like 1

I bet the BIB who's about to confiscate your bike at a police checkpoint cares that it's not a legitimate green book.

Could someone please post here that has had their bike 'confiscated at a police checkpoint' as it must have happened to a lot of people judging by how many times I've read/heard that! I've owned bikes without green books, as have many of my Thai/farang friends, and none have had any issues at all.

Well thanks for that amazing piece of advice.To be honest, at the end of the day, I'd rather just ask a question in the Bikes forum. After all, that's what it's there for.

More fool you then if you think that you can base your life on what is said on here. Only you can decide after meeting the salesperson and reviewing the goods. But up to you.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

i find discussion on green book, thai green book and confiscated bikes, 'oh no worries, nothign happens' nonsense, i am sorry.

It is still sad if we are discussing here.

No green book, no payment! very simple.

it is green book or no green book, there is nothing like Thai green book, it is just kind of scam to put a license plate on the back of the bike.

Sooner or later, especially after all these investment from big bike makers, they will push this more and eventually, police will start to confiscate more bikes.

big money on these as well which will make the police more greedy at the end.

if you want to take a risk, just go forward but not me.

Could someone please post here that has had their bike 'confiscated at a police checkpoint' as it must have happened to a lot of people judging by how many times I've read/heard that! I've owned bikes without green books, as have many of my Thai/farang friends, and none have had any issues at all.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I also heard the stories. Also one story from a riding buddy who almost had his imported-in-parts R1 confiscated by a roaming BIB on Suk soi 22.

So why take the chance?

More fool you then if you think that you can base your life on what is said on here. Only you can decide after meeting the salesperson and reviewing the goods. But up to you.

Christ! How on Earth you can equate asking for opinions on an internet forum to 'basing my life on what is said on here', I don't know.

I also don't believe everything that a salesperson says, neither am I competent on spotting a fake green book. So stop being so argumentative and try adding something worthy on the thread instead of nit-picking.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I also heard the stories. Also one story from a riding buddy who almost had his imported-in-parts R1 confiscated by a roaming BIB on Suk soi 22.

So why take the chance?

Christ! How on Earth you can equate asking for opinions on an internet forum to 'basing my life on what is said on here', I don't know. 

I also don't believe everything that a salesperson says, neither am I competent on spotting a fake green book. So stop being so argumentative and try adding something worthy on the thread instead of nit-picking.

I did.. you were being arguing. Until you see the bike and book you cannot decide anything. It's as simple as that. And if you can't look around at previous information to decide on a genuine book then OK.. buy new. I hope you find the bike your looking for. Good luck.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

"Thai" green books are real books from another bike, if you look at the serial number sometimes they do not match the model number designation which is part of the serial number.

For example it may say NC27XXXXXXX as opposed to NC39XXXXXX, when the bike is an NC39XXXXXX....numbers are usually restamped, frames swapped or cut and rewelded.

As long as its the same manufacturer, it isnt usually a problem since there is no blacklist of salvage title serial numbers at Thai DMV, although insurance companies have a database for repairs done. I know someone with an insurance company and they do not do total write offs, if its a car, they will literally cut it in half and reweld on a new front clip or back clip, use factory sealers and you would never know.

I went in there summer 2012 and looked at a cbr600rr. He was open in saying all bikes are imported in parts. He pointed at some certificate which he said made him a authorized assembler. He then said he has all the books with page18 properly filled out.

I asked for a discount and he was firm on his price so i passed. Later on in the year the shop was closed about six weeks straight. I know as i pass there daily. When the shop reopened he had all the bikes marked down and the cbr down 100k. The shop is open daily since then..

to the op dont you have a ducati?

when you can get a Thai made, brand new CB500F for 205,000 and Z800 for 375,000 with 3 years manufacturers warranty, spot on parts availability and huge dealer network.. who would want a second hand import ?

Sound advice. The new Z800 looks like one hell of a machine and overseas reports are very favourable.

They have no right to confiscate a bike that is legally registered, taxed and has been inspected by the DLT...no?

Could you explain why it would possibly be confiscated?

The fact the book is recycled is not an issue.

I believe bikes with no plates/tax stickers are the ones that get taken - is that incorrect?

They have no right to confiscate a bike that is legally registered, taxed and has been inspected by the DLT...no?

I believe bikes with no plates/tax stickers are the ones that get taken - is that incorrect?

Maybe you dont understand what a recycled book is.....They are taking the serial number and book from one bike and using it another. I believe that is a clear case of fraud and would like to believe its illegal and reason to confiscate the bike as evidence....

when you can get a Thai made, brand new CB500F for 205,000 and Z800 for 375,000 with 3 years manufacturers warranty, spot on parts availability and huge dealer network.. who would want a second hand import ?

Lots of people wouldnt want a starter bike like the 500 series because well its a starter bike......The z800 is good and a excellent value but if you are not in to street fighters then you need to go back to the imports....

Maybe you dont understand what a recycled book is.....They are taking the serial number and book from one bike and using it another. I believe that is a clear case of fraud and would like to believe its illegal and reason to confiscate the bike as evidence....

If the DLT inspect the bike and it's engine number and frame numbers, and issue a new book in the new owners name, does that not mean it is all ok?

Not trying to be argumentative here at all - I get different stories from everyone I speak to.

I just figured if the DLT was happy (not having to pay extra money/under the table or anything), then it was legitimately in the system.

Keen to get to the bottom of it.

I know there will be first-class insurance issues, but I didn't believe there were also confiscation issues??

Lots of people wouldnt want a starter bike like the 500 series because well its a starter bike......The z800 is good and a excellent value but if you are not in to street fighters then you need to go back to the imports....

Exactly, why would I pay 2xx,xxx for a 45 hp commuter bike when I could get a legal, 600cc, made in Japan, inline 4 supersport (second hand) for not much more?

Parts availabilty and huge dealer network? Not on the cb500 series... The 'idea' seems to make people comfortable though...