Pattaya Superbikes. Trustworthy?

H1w4yR1da

Then, absolutely no problems I believe.

The DLT could not care less what the book says, as long as the numbers are correct and the book is genuine.

I bet the BIB who's about to confiscate your bike at a police checkpoint cares that it's not a legitimate green book.

They have no right to confiscate a bike that is legally registered, taxed and has been inspected by the DLT...no?

Could you explain why it would possibly be confiscated?

The fact the book is recycled is not an issue.

I believe bikes with no plates/tax stickers are the ones that get taken - is that incorrect?

Maybe you dont understand what a recycled book is.....They are taking the serial number and book from one bike and using it another. I believe that is a clear case of fraud and would like to believe its illegal and reason to confiscate the bike as evidence....

If the DLT inspect the bike and it's engine number and frame numbers, and issue a new book in the new owners name, does that not mean it is all ok?

Not trying to be argumentative here at all - I get different stories from everyone I speak to.

I just figured if the DLT was happy (not having to pay extra money/under the table or anything), then it was legitimately in the system.

Keen to get to the bottom of it.

I know there will be first-class insurance issues, but I didn't believe there were also confiscation issues??

No arguments :)

If the book is issued by the dlt it wouldnt be a recycled book. A recycled one would be sold from a wrecked bike or something to that effect.

when you can get a Thai made, brand new CB500F for 205,000 and Z800 for 375,000 with 3 years manufacturers warranty, spot on parts availability and huge dealer network.. who would want a second hand import ?

Lots of people wouldnt want a starter bike like the 500 series because well its a starter bike......The z800 is good and a excellent value but if you are not in to street fighters then you need to go back to the imports....

Exactly, why would I pay 2xx,xxx for a 45 hp commuter bike when I could get a legal, 600cc, made in Japan, inline 4 supersport (second hand) for not much more?

Parts availabilty and huge dealer network? Not on the cb500 series... The 'idea' seems to make people comfortable though...

Not to sure there are many 'legal' 600cc super sports for "not much more "

I would suggest that most would have some varience of grey bookery. Either receipts undervalued or emissions test overlooked. But as others have said once in the system. All seems well .. until a purge... then TIT who knows.

Just correct legal registration would be around 80-100k..

But I do see your point about the Honda CB series :D

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It sounds like this 'Thai green book' could easily give a stolen bike the appearance of legitimacy- that's what bothers me about it. Yes, some detective work could probably spot something like that, but who's going to make the effort, especially if it's a bike that came over as 'parts' from overseas?

There's a reason why Thailand has a shady reputation in that regard, and too many people are blinded by a (seemingly) good deal to do their due diligence.

Again, this is not a comment directed toward the shop in the OP, but to the concept of accepting forged paperwork in general.

It sounds like this 'Thai green book' could easily give a stolen bike the appearance of legitimacy- that's what bothers me about it. Yes, some detective work could probably spot something like that, but who's going to make the effort, especially if it's a bike that came over as 'parts' from overseas?

There's a reason why Thailand has a shady reputation in that regard, and too many people are blinded by a (seemingly) good deal to do their due diligence.

Again, this is not a comment directed toward the shop in the OP, but to the concept of accepting forged paperwork in general.

For the normal license check odds of a issue are slim.....If selling the odds increase as they (in pattaya) do a thorough vin check looking for new stamps, plates and welds. I have seen this with my eyes. If you happen to be involved in a accident and there's a investigation then your odds increase too.....

Personally i would go with no plate or book then committing fraud...

• Like 1

For the normal license check odds of a issue are slim.....If selling the odds increase as they (in pattaya) do a thorough vin check looking for new stamps, plates and welds. I have seen this with my eyes. If you happen to be involved in a accident and there's a investigation then your odds increase too.....

Personally i would go with no plate or book then committing fraud...

I think many people believe a couple hundred baht will get them out of any issue and don't worry too much about a bike's provenence.

My biggest worry about my bike (after a crash) is theft- it's just too easy to screw around with paperwork and send a bike to the other side of the country (and process it through a 'friendly' DLT)- suddenly it's a saleable commodity- as far as a bike being stolen, broken down as parts, shipped to LOS, reassembled, and sold as legitimate with a forged green book, well, that certainly happens as well.

Also, I guess anyone who says bike confiscation doesn't happen has never seen a policeman riding around on a BMW or full-dress Harley that cost a few years of his salary, and that bike will probably be coming up for sale eventually with a fake green book...

Bottom line is that if a bike has forged documents, you need to be willing to accept the fact that is could be stolen if you can't trace it from when it was originally purchased (even imported bikes can be researched through VIN/frame numbers).

Edited by RubberSideDown

The main other way they are going to have an excellent chance of figuring out doctored up books to bikes is when 5 years are up & you have to yearly go for an inspection. That is when they would put the bike through scrutiny. And yes they do have a magnaflux machine (in Pattaya area) if the think the numbers on the frame or engine numbers have been grinded & changed A magnaflux machine is ultra efficient & catches any discrepancies.

I had the machine when I owned Auto Body shops & bought & sold vehicles in the states.

When I registered my Kawi 650 last year they clipped a guy for dodgy papers. Mismatched numbers. Not sure what they did to him as I didn't want to hang around the 5 agents that were looking at the bike & talking to the owner. Even the best punch or stamp kits are always slightly different than the MFG. dies & stamps. Same as printing presses that counterfeiters use to make illegal money. Done for obvious reasons. Hey they may never find the discrepancy, but why would you pay top dollar for altered docs & have to be looking over your back when you ride.In life you can get away being illegal but the minute your number is up & you get blamed for the fraud(& this being Thailand farang always guilty until you prove it otherwise) then the paperwork problem is much more than you bargain for. Out running a cop here I will do but a chance to be caught in something less than honest for fraud I for one am just not interested in. I didn't move to LOS to get railroaded for stupidity.Being the fool that gets caught holding the bag at the end of its cycle. It is like a pyramid scam & in the end someone has to lose. Maybe not all but why take a chance! Russian Roulette anyone??????

EDIT: I did buy a honda 125 that was confiscated for bad papers 5 years ago from the police & the bike stayed in the policemans name or paperwork. It had no plate. No reg. no tax sticker no green book & could not ever be made legal. I used it to take my dogs to the beach at the lake 1.2 kilo's from my house & kept it off of the main roads. Paid 2500 baht for the bike so it was worth it at the time. But that is not what I would ever drive around town.

Edited by Beardog
  • Like 1

I have no problem with someone playing games to beat taxes or tariffs as they're so ridiculous here as long as the bike has been legitimately purchased and imported (and as long as they're upfront about it)- it's the potentially stolen stuff that bothers me.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

when you can get a Thai made, brand new CB500F for 205,000 and Z800 for 375,000 with 3 years manufacturers warranty, spot on parts availability and huge dealer network.. who would want a second hand import ?

Lots of people wouldnt want a starter bike like the 500 series because well its a starter bike.....

but lots and lots actually would and do - honda can't make them quick enough to satisfy demand.....

with a 200, 000 budget and the choice of either a brand new cb500 or some imported, several year old sports bike with no proovable history and no manufacturer's warranty when the engine gives up the ghost - i know what i'd go for..........

Lots of people wouldnt want a starter bike like the 500 series because well its a starter bike.....

but lots and lots actually would and do - honda can't make them quick enough to satisfy demand.....

with a 200, 000 budget and the choice of either a brand new cb500 or some imported, several year old sports bike with no proovable history and no manufacturer's warranty when the engine gives up the ghost - i know what i'd go for..........

Last time i checked in pattaya there was no shortage of availability for any of the 500s. So i guess they can make them quick enough. Of course you are right in regards to getting parts as it has been reported that they cant distribute them very well.

I have no problem with someone playing games to beat taxes or tariffs as they're so ridiculous here as long as the bike has been legitimately purchased and imported (and as long as they're upfront about it)- it's the potentially stolen stuff that bothers me.

Book for my SR says it was build from parts.