Moped legalities

Bmouthboyo

Hi guys,

I had a look about but couldnt find much info on this. Basically i have a UK driving license and an international driving permit thing.

If i was to get a little scooter what would i need to do? Do i need to take a test or CBT equivellent? Tax? Insurance? Register it in my name?

I see a lot for sale state they come with insurance, is it the bikes themselves that are insured? Not the person? What type of insurance is best here given im only after a little run about costing under 40000'tbh.

Can anyone give rough idea of costs of tax, insurance etc? I am 29 male with work permit, no convictions etc

Cheers

something like a Honda Wave 110i would be approx 40k. basic legal insurance is about 300b per year..the bike is insured. you normally get sold 2 year theft insurance when you buy the bike for 2k baht.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Honda_Motorcycle_Price_List

as for licence.. a Uk licence you can just show that at the land transport office with your international permit and get a car licence.. if you have both parts of UK licence that show scooter entitlement then you may be able to convince them that you have a bike licence as well.. its 2 seperate licences here in thailand.

No problem to register in your name. if the shop says can't explain that you have a WP if still no. just go to another shop.

where in Thailand are you?

oh and do not forget to get a decent helmet.. trust me when i say it can save your life... for about 1,500b a REAL helmet is a decent helmet. http://www.real-helmets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&product_id=5

there are many other helmets available check your local shop.. sometimes you can get them to supply the helmet.. most of the time its crap so it may pay to say no you want a REAL helmet and you will pay the difference.

I am based in Bangkok, my work permit should be with me around the end of september so guess will have to wait until then.

Annoyingly my licence from the UK does not have even a pic of a bike on it, i never got UK bike licence or even a CBT. I do have my IDP though.

What is the process for getting a bike licence here then? If i cant bribe or sly one whats the test like? Have to book and get on waiting list?

The bike test is easy. This is Thailand after all. A basic multi choice computer test in English . Then a go around a car park sized test area. A monkey could pass.... and they do every day:D:)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

A monkey could pass.... and they do every day:D:)

Hey I resemble that remark monkey_dance.gif

Bmouthboyo. It is easy as you have a car license you may not have to do the PC multiple choice test only the practical. Exaggerate everything as the "examiners" don't leave their desk. Get there early and watch what the other do.

The bike test is easy. This is Thailand after all. A basic multi choice computer test in English . Then a go around a car park sized test area. A monkey could pass.... and they do every day:D:)

Try a bit riding that straight pole :

A useful video though.. from my experience the DMV's tend to be different all over Thailand.