English tourist stabbed in the neck by drunken Thai man in South Pattaya

webfact

Note to self. cant cross the road with out being nearly killed, cant walk on the footpath with out being nearly killed....coffee1.gif

So if you stop posting, we'll have to assume you've been killed. You could cut back in the alcohol, you know.,biggrin.png

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elzach, Beetle makes a lot of sense here and I for one do agree with him fully. if what you're saying were correct the people shouldn't complain you know. Life's a matter of free choice isn't it? And people too are absolutely free to be where they are perfectly happy not so? Therefore if an individual undergoes difficulties where he resides I'd think the best thing for him to do would be to leave and go somewhere where he / she could be perfectly happy, don't you think?

It could be that when the drunk bumped into the English guy, the English guy then shouted at the drunk man, which escalated into a dispute, hence the drunk stabbed the English guy. That`s what most English people do where I come from, they even consider it an insult if you look at them.

Not suggesting that the drunk had the right to stab the English guy, that was an outrageous and an evil thing to do, but what I have mentioned above could have actually happened. Just giving another possibility to this story, that`s all.

Of course this incident now gives the Thai bashers a platform to vent their distorted and anti Thai opinions about Thailand, because obviously these sorts of crimes never happen anywhere else.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions and for those who complain the loudest do have the choice of leaving or to never visit Thailand. I hear Mexico is a good choice or why not try a tour of Cambodia as these types of assaults never happen there.

Beetle, this "if you don't like it here, get out or never come" thing, does NOT work for Thailand.

Why? Because if they follow your advice, then 20% of Thailand's GDP...poof! And God forbid foreign workers or foreign corporations balk at operating here...another 20% poof! And then what are you my friend? Cambodia...or Myanmar?

I agree. My point was that his attitude "take it or leave it" has bad consequences for Thailand. ie. if the foreigners decide not to take the violence or BS anymore and leave, that would be the consequence, Thailand losing a huge chunk of its GDP.

Guys like you really need to get out of your sex-tourist bubble. Thailand's tourism numbers are more and more skewing away from the single male demographic to families, couples, group, domestic, and the MICE markets. Do you think any of them give a flying <deleted> about someone getting stabbed in a seedy location like Walking Street, let alone them even being aware of it?

Do you also thing multinational corporations make their investment decisions on how many sex tourists are beaten up, robbed, or drugged by the locals in notorious destinations like Pattaya and Phuket?

Well, you just keep living in your bubble and the real Thailand will continue to grow its tourism numbers to 30M and its manufacturing and agricultural export industries continue to flourish.

OMG

You should re read the post. This guy was a middle aged married man out with his wife. Hardly qualifies as a sex tourist. And as more family tourist visit so they are more likely to get caught up in these sort of incidents.

I highly doubt it...surely more of a one-off crime than the start of a trend. Also, doubt a stroll along some back walking street alley early in the morning is the preferred venue for most couples to have a stroll.

I just don't get why people go ballistic when crimes happen in pattaya and then extrapolate them to some huge conspiracy against foreigners by the locals. <deleted> happens everywhere so just report the crimes and leave it at that. I mean, one can be walking done a street in London in broad daylight and be attached and KILLED by knife wielding nutters or be out for a morning jog in Oklahoma and be shot by a couple teenage kids because they were board and had nothing else to do that morning. Does this mean everyone should avoid travel or living in these two places?

All I know is I feel safer in any area of pattaya, day or nite, than in many areas of most metropolitan places in the USA.

Beetle, this "if you don't like it here, get out or never come" thing, does NOT work for Thailand.

Why? Because if they follow your advice, then 20% of Thailand's GDP...poof! And God forbid foreign workers or foreign corporations balk at operating here...another 20% poof! And then what are you my friend? Cambodia...or Myanmar?

I agree. My point was that his attitude "take it or leave it" has bad consequences for Thailand. ie. if the foreigners decide not to take the violence or BS anymore and leave, that would be the consequence, Thailand losing a huge chunk of its GDP.

Guys like you really need to get out of your sex-tourist bubble. Thailand's tourism numbers are more and more skewing away from the single male demographic to families, couples, group, domestic, and the MICE markets. Do you think any of them give a flying <deleted> about someone getting stabbed in a seedy location like Walking Street, let alone them even being aware of it?

Do you also thing multinational corporations make their investment decisions on how many sex tourists are beaten up, robbed, or drugged by the locals in notorious destinations like Pattaya and Phuket?

Well, you just keep living in your bubble and the real Thailand will continue to grow its tourism numbers to 30M and its manufacturing and agricultural export industries continue to flourish.

OMGYouAreInPattaya, first of all, congratulations you're in Pattaya.
Second, I see a post with lots of assumptions and little fact (sex tourists etc.)
Oh and btw, Thailand is technically in recession now:
Edited by elzach

Though this might put things into perspective .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Certainly does! Thailand has a homicide rate over twice the size of Malaysia it's nearest and most direct comparison in the region and a whopping 400% higher rate than the UK where the victim came from.

Thanks!

Perspective indeed.

There seems to be little or no punishment (hence no deterrent) if the perpetrator is Thai and the victim is a foreigner.

I continue to enjoy living here but strangely, I work in Northern Iraq and feel safer walking the streets there than I do in BKK. Probably due to the number and press of people, of all varieties, around.

Is alcolhol freely available there ???..........say no more!

Very freely available and very cheap to.

OMGYouAreInPattaya, first of all, congratulations you're in Pattaya.

Second, I see a post with lots of assumptions and little fact (sex tourists etc.)

Oh and btw, Thailand is technically in recession now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23751846

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/0d1f2e06-08ad-11e3-ad07-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2evi2LYj8

Two quarters of slightly negative growth, with a still positive 3-4% growth for the year, hardly a serious recession makes. In addition, with 2-3 percent unemployment, I'm sure most of the Western world would love to be in a recession Thai style.

I stand by all my previous comments; and congrats to wherever you call home.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

OMG

You should re read the post. This guy was a middle aged married man out with his wife. Hardly qualifies as a sex tourist. And as more family tourist visit so they are more likely to get caught up in these sort of incidents.

I highly doubt it...surely more of a one-off crime than the start of a trend. Also, doubt a stroll along some back walking street alley early in the morning is the preferred venue for most couples to have a stroll.

I just don't get why people go ballistic when crimes happen in pattaya and then extrapolate them to some huge conspiracy against foreigners by the locals. <deleted> happens everywhere so just report the crimes and leave it at that. I mean, one can be walking done a street in London in broad daylight and be attached and KILLED by knife wielding nutters or be out for a morning jog in Oklahoma and be shot by a couple teenage kids because they were board and had nothing else to do that morning. Does this mean everyone should avoid travel or living in these two places?

All I know is I feel safer in any area of pattaya, day or nite, than in many areas of most metropolitan places in the USA.

There has been quite a few of these so called 'one off crimes' over the last few years.

• 7 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Look at the policeman giving him a cuddle. <deleted>.

What a shock for this couple, I wish you a speedy recovery Mr Strickleton. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

are those two related ????

the look alot alike

Father and son?