English tourist stabbed in the neck by drunken Thai man in South Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am losing count of the number of vicious and unwarranted attacks on tourists in the last few weeks, for apparent slights to Thai's who were bumping into people or nearly running them over. With seemingly little being done about it I can only assume this kind of attack will happen more frequently.

Nothing to see here. Pattaya is a family destination. Bring your family here for a vacation you will never forget. A stab in the neck, you can tell your friends the fun you had.

At a minimum, the man and his wife/gf should get an apology from the city of Pattaya.

Though this might put things into perspective .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Certainly does! Thailand has a homicide rate over twice the size of Malaysia it's nearest and most direct comparison in the region and a whopping 400% higher rate than the UK where the victim came from.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Quick and thorough recovery to Mr. Strickleton.

If locals are good at one thing, it is f#@$ing up Thailand's reputation over and over again...

The photo showing the attacker getting a friendly cuddle from the policeman does not really help to ease tensions, does it? What's next? The attacker receiving an award from the TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) for his efforts to promote "adventure tourism"?

Look at the policeman giving him a cuddle. <deleted>.

What a shock for this couple, I wish you a speedy recovery Mr Strickleton. wai.gif

"Look at the policeman giving him a cuddle. <deleted>." What else could be expected? Thai and Thai. As someone else has previously said. "Thai law only helps Thai people". I don't really know but the longer the time I spend here the more this statement proves to be true. Seriously, in all sincerity, I've never ever yet came across something like this, the Thai Law system I'm referring to now. It's rewritten each and every time some injustice of a Thai national is coming to light in setting his injustices straight making it lawfully correct. (Does the Internationally recognised Common Law Legislation bare any whatsoever input here in Thailand or not?).

What a shock for this couple, I wish you a speedy recovery Mr Strickleton. wai.gif

"Look at the policeman giving him a cuddle. <deleted>." What else could be expected? Thai and Thai. As someone else has previously said. "Thai law only helps Thai people". I don't really know but the longer the time I spend here the more this statement proves to be true. Seriously, in all sincerity, I've never ever yet came across something like this, the Thai Law system I'm referring to now. It's rewritten each and every time some injustice of a Thai national is coming to light in setting his injustices straight making it lawfully correct. (Does the Internationally recognised Common Law Legislation bare any whatsoever input here in Thailand or not?).

Of course the sad truth is that after the cuddle for stabbing a tourist in the neck the offender (no doubt out on bail) will be driving his motorbike without a helmet and the cuddly detective will pull him over and extort 300 baht out of him.

As for all this BS about Thailand, there is a knife attack in UK every four minutes. I am pretty sure most of the 'victims' are British. You really think Thailand is that much worse?

Funny how I have lived here (Phuket) for 5 years, never been stabbed, never been beaten up, never been chased by crazy moped driver.

I am not saying this guy did anything wrong at all and I wish him a speedy recovery, but stop all this BS that Thailand is SOOOOO dangerous. I still think you are just as likely to find trouble in UK - either because you are drunk and not making the best decisions or you are just unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stephen Lawerence mean anything to you lot??? 17 years later and the police still cant bring themselves to admit how wrong they got it.

G

The difference is this story has nothing to do with stabbings in Britain, totally unrelated. This is a story about a TOURIST being stabbed by a local in Thailand. What are the figures for tourists being stabbed by locals in Britain?

May we request that admin post a story on world news about a tourist being stabbed by a local in Britain then we can go over there and discuss it.

Google 'Anuj Bidve' for starters.

Yes that is what I was told as well.

Nasty business a young guy too and during the day as reported to me.

Thailand has always been a violent country but in the past tourists were not that often caught up in that violence but that has certainly changed over the last few years.

Strange thing is, I can't find the story now. I forget exactly where I read it, may have been pattaya one, not sure.

It could be that when the drunk bumped into the English guy, the English guy then shouted at the drunk man, which escalated into a dispute, hence the drunk stabbed the English guy. That`s what most English people do where I come from, they even consider it an insult if you look at them.

Not suggesting that the drunk had the right to stab the English guy, that was an outrageous and an evil thing to do, but what I have mentioned above could have actually happened. Just giving another possibility to this story, that`s all.

Of course this incident now gives the Thai bashers a platform to vent their distorted and anti Thai opinions about Thailand, because obviously these sorts of crimes never happen anywhere else.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions and for those who complain the loudest do have the choice of leaving or to never visit Thailand. I hear Mexico is a good choice or why not try a tour of Cambodia as these types of assaults never happen there.

• Like 1

Khor thot? You really love this fake smile country so much you are willing to apologize some monkey-Thai for trying to kill you and almost succeding after he bumped into you drunk on the street?

For the guys who see my point I suggest we start a falang defence league - no mercy to these monkeys.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have now lived in Thailand for four and a half years. I am seriously considering moving. I have been on holiday in Phnom Penh four times. Loved it. And in Cambodia you are respected as a falang - very different from the land of smiles...

It could be that when the drunk bumped into the English guy, the English guy then shouted at the drunk man, which escalated into a dispute, hence the drunk stabbed the English guy. That`s what most English people do where I come from, they even consider it an insult if you look at them.

Not suggesting that the drunk had the right to stab the English guy, that was an outrageous and an evil thing to do, but what I have mentioned above could have actually happened. Just giving another possibility to this story, that`s all.

Of course this incident now gives the Thai bashers a platform to vent their distorted and anti Thai opinions about Thailand, because obviously these sorts of crimes never happen anywhere else.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions and for those who complain the loudest do have the choice of leaving or to never visit Thailand. I hear Mexico is a good choice or why not try a tour of Cambodia as these types of assaults never happen there.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

few days ago, the RTP was blaming the media for tarnishing the country's reputation with all these stories

about murders/abductions/stabbings... you know if there is no newspaper so crimes never happened here.

and now, to make worst, the same people are seen cuddling the culprit of a nasty crime...what a world joke country!

Edited by Bender
  • Like 1

Though this might put things into perspective .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Certainly does! Thailand has a homicide rate over twice the size of Malaysia it's nearest and most direct comparison in the region and a whopping 400% higher rate than the UK where the victim came from.

Thanks!

Equal to the USA, lower than the Philippines, Indonesia, or so peaceful Myanmar. Where Thailand excels is in the number of bitter, disillusioned expats. Just saying.....

• Like 1

Personally I find one of these photographs quite disturbing to say the least. It appears to me that the alleged suspect is being consoled by the police officer, not shackled in a cell where he should be. Had this been a foreigner stabbing a Thai, I think the treatment would be very different indeed.

I wish the injured man a speedy recovery.

Indeed best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Is this being covered by the UK press?

Nice avatar, where you find it?

Thanks!

Perspective indeed.

There seems to be little or no punishment (hence no deterrent) if the perpetrator is Thai and the victim is a foreigner.

I continue to enjoy living here but strangely, I work in Northern Iraq and feel safer walking the streets there than I do in BKK. Probably due to the number and press of people, of all varieties, around.

While I admit it was difficult in this case, I say again, stay far far away from Thai men in nightlife areas.

agreed - and could practice - excuse me in thai if have the time. kor toad cap - or something.

- just saying there might be easy ways to diffuse this kind of thing - alcohol will fx@k anyone up though.

should legalize pot !

• Like 1

What are the figures of TOURISTS being attacked or Killed. Africans killing Africans Brits Killing Brits etc, nothing to do with this story I understand some Thai apologists are trying to water down the incident with domestic murders in other countries. You would have a stronger argument comparing the figures regarding tourists which this story is about.

• Like 2

WOW!! Is that a record?? Only 22 minutes for the "could happen anywhere" comment........clap2.gifclap2.gif

Well done Sir coffee1.gif

yes i agree with u ...same shxt with forums re angeles city .....YES we know crime happens everywhere ....doesnt mean we should just ignore it ... if an english couple was reading this and looking for a tourist destination it must impact on their choice ... u can be attacked by a shark if u r swimming in the ocean ...or indeed in a river many miles from the coast .....but if there is a place that has regular attacks u would not be in a hurry to take the kids ...

• Like 1

What are the figures of TOURISTS being attacked or Killed. Africans killing Africans Brits Killing Brits etc, nothing to do with this story I understand some Thai apologists are trying to water down the incident with domestic murders in other countries. You would have a stronger argument comparing the figures regarding tourists which this story is about.

I am sure that nobody has those figures and I am sure that the figures for Thailand include Thais being whacked.

No apologist here, the attack on the tourist was unprovoked (as far as is known) and despicable; but some posters are making Thailand sound like a war zone; which it is not. I have been a regular visitor to Thailand since 1995, coming as often as once a month. In all that time I have not had as much as a dirty look.

Did that mean nasty farang walk on your footpath and was he so rude as to not say sorry when YOU bumped into him. There, there, there we will sue him for huge compensation, 60/40 ok.

What this picture indicates is that the Thai is the victim is this sorry story. Instead of giving him a hug throw him in a cell until he is sober enough to interview.

tsk,tsk, tsk, Chooka.

You must be new in Thailand.

If that English couple didn't went to Thailand in the first place, nothing of this would have happened.

So, the English couple is in fault and they will have to pay lots of money to the Thai bloke (and the Police) for not apoligizing.

Rule 1 for every tourist in Thailand.

10CC - DREADLOCK HOLIDAY

Writer(s):STEWART, ERIC/GOULDMAN, GRAHAM

Album: Track 1 on Bloody Tourists

Modified version:

I was walkin' down the street

Concentratin' on truckin' left

I heard a dark voice beside of me

And I looked round in a state of fright

I saw four faces one mad

A brother from the gutter

They looked me up and down a bit

And turned to each other

I say

I don't like Pattaya oh no

I love it

I don't like Pattaya no no

I love it

Don't you walk thru my road

You got to show some respect

'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Well he looked down at my silver chain

He said I'll give you one dollar

I said You've got to be jokin' man

It was a present from me Mother

He said I like it I want it

I'll take it off your hands

And you'll be sorry you crossed me

You'd better understand that you're alone

A long way from home

And I say

I love it

I love it

Don't you cramp me style

Don't you queer me pitch

I hurried back to the swimming pool

Sinkin' pina colada

I heard a dark voice beside me say

Would you like something harder

She said I've got it you want it

My harvest is the best

And if you try it you'll like it

And wallow in a dreadlock holiday

And I say

Don't like Pattaya oh no

I love her

Don't like Pattaya oh no

I love her oh yea

Don't you walk through her road

Don't you walk thru her road

'Cause you ain't heard her out yet

I love it (Dreadlock holiday)

I love her (Dreadlock holiday)

• Like 2

Did that mean nasty farang walk on your footpath and was he so rude as to not say sorry when YOU bumped into him. There, there, there we will sue him for huge compensation, 60/40 ok.

What this picture indicates is that the Thai is the victim is this sorry story. Instead of giving him a hug throw him in a cell until he is sober enough to interview.

tsk,tsk, tsk, Chooka.

You must be new in Thailand.

If that English couple didn't went to Thailand in the first place, nothing of this would have happened.

So, the English couple is in fault and they will have to pay lots of money to the Thai bloke (and the Police) for not apoligizing.

Rule 1 for every tourist in Thailand.

10CC - DREADLOCK HOLIDAY

Writer(s):STEWART, ERIC/GOULDMAN, GRAHAM

Album: Track 1 on Bloody Tourists

Modified version:

I was walkin' down the street

Concentratin' on truckin' left

I heard a dark voice beside of me

And I looked round in a state of fright

I saw four faces one mad

A brother from the gutter

They looked me up and down a bit

And turned to each other

I say

I love it

I love it

Well he looked down at my silver chain

He said I'll give you one dollar

I said You've got to be jokin' man

It was a present from me Mother

He said I like it I want it

I'll take it off your hands

And you'll be sorry you crossed me

You'd better understand that you're alone

A long way from home

And I say

I love it

I love it

Don't you cramp me style

Don't you queer me pitch

I hurried back to the swimming pool

Sinkin' pina colada

I heard a dark voice beside me say

Would you like something harder

She said I've got it you want it

My harvest is the best

And if you try it you'll like it

And wallow in a dreadlock holiday

And I say

Don't like Pattaya oh no

I love her

Don't like Pattaya oh no

I love her oh yea

Don't you walk through her road

Don't you walk thru her road

'Cause you ain't heard her out yet

I love her (Dreadlock holiday)

Just not cricket.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Equal to the USA, lower than the Philippines, Indonesia, or so peaceful Myanmar. Where Thailand excels is in the number of bitter, disillusioned expats. Just saying.....

The USA, Philippines and Indonesia. Such delightful places to draw a comparison to oneself.

More Thai apologist BS!

"It could be this, it could be that.."

Desperately trying to imagine scenarios in which to blame the victim and excuse the Thai's actions.

And I suggest the only distorted opinions here are yours.

The so-called anti-Thai opinions posted on this thread are just sensible reactions to continuous incidents of murder and assault on tourists and expats.

and other Thais. They seem just as happy to kill each other as well over bugger all.