English tourist stabbed in the neck by drunken Thai man in South Pattaya

webfact

Though this might put things into perspective .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Certainly does! Thailand has a homicide rate over twice the size of Malaysia it's nearest and most direct comparison in the region and a whopping 400% higher rate than the UK where the victim came from.

Thanks!

Equal to the USA, lower than the Philippines, Indonesia, or so peaceful Myanmar. Where Thailand excels is in the number of bitter, disillusioned expats. Just saying.....

The USA, Philippines and Indonesia. Such delightful places to draw a comparison to oneself.

What would you compare it with then?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though this might put things into perspective .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Certainly does! Thailand has a homicide rate over twice the size of Malaysia it's nearest and most direct comparison in the region and a whopping 400% higher rate than the UK where the victim came from.

Thanks!

Equal to the USA, lower than the Philippines, Indonesia, or so peaceful Myanmar. Where Thailand excels is in the number of bitter, disillusioned expats. Just saying.....

The USA, Philippines and Indonesia. Such delightful places to draw a comparison to oneself. 

What would you compare it with then?

I think those are perfect countries to compare Thailand to. One abuses its power and acts like it is above the law and has bad problems with guns, the other two are corrupt third world shitholes.

Well done!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Every farang talking bad about Thai people lives in BK, Phuket, Pattaya, Ko Samui......and every news of violence in this forum is from those areas....How about North Thailand?...Why here we "farangs" do not have any trouble ? But...If you like trouble...you are also in wrong places...walk at night in Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Bogota, Manila, East LA...or the Harlem and Bronx in the US

It could be that when the drunk bumped into the English guy, the English guy then shouted at the drunk man, which escalated into a dispute, hence the drunk stabbed the English guy. That`s what most English people do where I come from, they even consider it an insult if you look at them.

Not suggesting that the drunk had the right to stab the English guy, that was an outrageous and an evil thing to do, but what I have mentioned above could have actually happened. Just giving another possibility to this story, that`s all.

Of course this incident now gives the Thai bashers a platform to vent their distorted and anti Thai opinions about Thailand, because obviously these sorts of crimes never happen anywhere else.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions and for those who complain the loudest do have the choice of leaving or to never visit Thailand. I hear Mexico is a good choice or why not try a tour of Cambodia as these types of assaults never happen there.

BJ, you are just an apologist.

More than just a thai apologist, I would say a big slobbering, non stop apologist. Just saying

• Like 2

Before the xenophobia posts start would just like to say 'Passers-by assisted the injured man' I'm guessing that some of these people were Thai so all faith is not lost yetw00t.gif alt=w00t.gif>

As for officer Somchai Dimwit, not quite sure what he thinks about those pesky foreigners.

Sorry but I lost all faith in Thai's quite a few years back. It is the most vicious and racist nation I have ever been to (I have spent several months in 25 countries from the US to the middle east, Europe and a year in India as well as living in SE Asia for the past 12 years). I am sure there must be some good Thai's but from my personal experiences over the past decade they are few and far between.

I regularly warn friends not to travel to Thailand, come to Cambodia instead, the hospitality here is amazing and the smiles are far more genuine.

Sadly my instant reaction to meeting any Thai now is one of complete distrust.

Wait and see how much they like Western foreigners when their average wage exceeds USD 2 a day and when 50% of their GDP doesn't consist of foreign aid.

Funny, my experience of Thais, from landlords to tradesmen to household staff has been just the opposite.

The attacker was drunk, caught by locals, and has already been charged with attempted murder. What more do you want?

..a conviction perhaps?

Start dreaming.

Look at the policeman giving him a cuddle. <deleted>.

What a shock for this couple, I wish you a speedy recovery Mr Strickleton. wai.gif

Did that mean nasty farang walk on your footpath and was he so rude as to not say sorry when YOU bumped into him. There, there, there we will sue him for huge compensation, 60/40 ok.

What this picture indicates is that the Thai is the victim is this sorry story. Instead of giving him a hug throw him in a cell until he is sober enough to interview.

tsk,tsk, tsk, Chooka.

You must be new in Thailand.

If that English couple didn't went to Thailand in the first place, nothing of this would have happened.

So, the English couple is in fault and they will have to pay lots of money to the Thai bloke (and the Police) for not apoligizing.

Rule 1 for every tourist in Thailand.

10CC - DREADLOCK HOLIDAY

Writer(s):STEWART, ERIC/GOULDMAN, GRAHAM

Album: Track 1 on Bloody Tourists

Modified version:

I was walkin' down the street

Concentratin' on truckin' left

I heard a dark voice beside of me

And I looked round in a state of fright

I saw four faces one mad

A brother from the gutter

They looked me up and down a bit

And turned to each other

I say

I don't like Pattaya oh no

I love it

I don't like Pattaya no no

I love it

Don't you walk thru my road

You got to show some respect

'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Well he looked down at my silver chain

He said I'll give you one dollar

I said You've got to be jokin' man

It was a present from me Mother

He said I like it I want it

I'll take it off your hands

And you'll be sorry you crossed me

You'd better understand that you're alone

A long way from home

And I say

I don't like Pattaya no no

I love it

I love it

Don't you cramp me style

Don't you queer me pitch

'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

I hurried back to the swimming pool

Sinkin' pina colada

I heard a dark voice beside me say

Would you like something harder

She said I've got it you want it

My harvest is the best

And if you try it you'll like it

And wallow in a dreadlock holiday

And I say

Don't like Pattaya oh no

I love her

Don't like Pattaya oh no

I love her oh yea

Don't you walk through her road

You got to show some respect

Don't you walk thru her road

'Cause you ain't heard her out yet

I love it (Dreadlock holiday)

I love it (Dreadlock holiday)

I love her (Dreadlock holiday)

A great song from a great band 10CC . And Pattaya fits right into it , its a Nightmare Holiday ....

It could be that when the drunk bumped into the English guy, the English guy then shouted at the drunk man, which escalated into a dispute, hence the drunk stabbed the English guy. That`s what most English people do where I come from, they even consider it an insult if you look at them.

Not suggesting that the drunk had the right to stab the English guy, that was an outrageous and an evil thing to do, but what I have mentioned above could have actually happened. Just giving another possibility to this story, that`s all.

Of course this incident now gives the Thai bashers a platform to vent their distorted and anti Thai opinions about Thailand, because obviously these sorts of crimes never happen anywhere else.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions and for those who complain the loudest do have the choice of leaving or to never visit Thailand. I hear Mexico is a good choice or why not try a tour of Cambodia as these types of assaults never happen there.

BJ, you are just an apologist.

No, he is more than just an apologist, he is the very proud father of his son, who just happens to be a Thai policeman.

Look at the policeman giving him a cuddle. <deleted>.

What a shock for this couple, I wish you a speedy recovery Mr Strickleton. wai.gif

Did that mean nasty farang walk on your footpath and was he so rude as to not say sorry when YOU bumped into him. There, there, there we will sue him for huge compensation, 60/40 ok.

What this picture indicates is that the Thai is the victim is this sorry story. Instead of giving him a hug throw him in a cell until he is sober enough to interview.

tsk,tsk, tsk, Chooka.

You must be new in Thailand.

If that English couple didn't went to Thailand in the first place, nothing of this would have happened.

So, the English couple is in fault and they will have to pay lots of money to the Thai bloke (and the Police) for not apoligizing.

Rule 1 for every tourist in Thailand.

Just more loss of face for Thailand.

Beetle, this "if you don't like it here, get out or never come" thing, does NOT work for Thailand.

Why? Because if they follow your advice, then 20% of Thailand's GDP...poof! And God forbid foreign workers or foreign corporations balk at operating here...another 20% poof! And then what are you my friend? Cambodia...or Myanmar?

Edited by elzach

Has anyone ever been to a seaside resort/tourist town in the world with as much hostility from the locals against the foreigners as Pattaya , besides Phuket ?

Blackpool!!!

The females are certainly more hostile there than the Pattaya one's

Beetle, this "if you don't like it here, get out or never come" thing, does NOT work for Thailand.

Why? Because if they follow your advice, then 20% of Thailand's GDP...poof! And God forbid foreign workers or foreign corporations balk at operating here...another 20% poof! And then what are you my friend? Cambodia...or Myanmar?

elzach, you will get a job with the TAT spouting made up figures like that! do a little research and you will find tourisim makes up around 5 to 6% of GDP.

elzach, you will get a job with the TAT spouting made up figures like that! do a little research and you will find tourisim makes up around 5 to 6% of GDP.

Lenny, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council, "The total contribution of Travel & Tourism to GDP (including wider effects from investment, the supply chain and induced income impacts, see page 2) was THB1,896.7bn in 2012 (16.7% of GDP) and is expected to grow by 7.4% to THB2,038.0bn (17.0% of GDP) in 2013."

i.e. it will grow to 18% in 2013. This includes direct and indirect contribution, for example, the investment by hotels and airlines.

http://www.wttc.org/site_media/uploads/downloads/thailand2013.pdf

post-183158-0-99935800-1378004310_thumb.

So i did do a "little research", instead of relying strictly on the "government figures", as you do.

The extra problem for Thailand is that entire geographic regions (Pattaya, Phuket etc) depend on tourism. Where are the locals going to go if tourism collapses? To some Bangkok slums? So let's add the social and government subsidy costs to that, if we dare.

Edited by elzach
  • Like 1

As for all this BS about Thailand, there is a knife attack in UK every four minutes. I am pretty sure most of the 'victims' are British. You really think Thailand is that much worse? 

Funny how I have lived here (Phuket) for 5 years, never been stabbed, never been beaten up, never been chased by crazy moped driver. 

I am not saying this guy did anything wrong at all and I wish him a speedy recovery, but stop all this BS that Thailand is SOOOOO dangerous. I still think you are just as likely to find trouble in UK - either because you are drunk and not making the best decisions or you are just unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stephen Lawerence mean anything to you lot??? 17 years later and the police still cant bring themselves to admit how wrong they got it. 

G

At 8 in the morning today I saw on suk 49 2 boys in brown shaking down an elderly japanese guy on the street in broad daylight

Is this common in the Uk? Are tourists in the uk legitimately worrid about being extorted or kidnapped for ransom by the very people who are paid to protect them?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I lived most of my life in the states. I feel significantly safer living in Thailand. When I see a group of Thai teens i don't think about walking around them. The fact is in 5 years here I've never been robbed, or threatened. On the other hand i don't hang out in Pattaya. If you come to the Bronx and bump into the wrong local you will be stabbed also. So yes sucks for the guy. No Thailand is far from the most dangerous place out there.

When did the Bronx become a major tourist destination?

• Like 1

Elzach, Beetle makes a lot of sense here and I for one do agree with him fully. if what you're saying were correct the people shouldn't complain you know. Life's a matter of free choice isn't it? And people too are absolutely free to be where they are perfectly happy not so? Therefore if an individual undergoes difficulties where he resides I'd think the best thing for him to do would be to leave and go somewhere where he / she could be perfectly happy, don't you think?

I lived most of my life in the states. I feel significantly safer living in Thailand. When I see a group of Thai teens i don't think about walking around them. The fact is in 5 years here I've never been robbed, or threatened. On the other hand i don't hang out in Pattaya. If you come to the Bronx and bump into the wrong local you will be stabbed also. So yes sucks for the guy. No Thailand is far from the most dangerous place out there.

When did the Bronx become a major tourist destination?

Bronx zoo... the botanical gardens... Um. That wasn't the point. Point was that i feel safer in bangkok. any area... than i ever did in the usa. i got robbed at gun point in the manhattan bridge. my motorbike was stolen in w4 and 6 ave in front if nypd camera. but just to bring the point home... Times Square a major tourist destination was an unsavory part of town not too long ago. If you wonder around that area a little west you may find some if that still lingers.

Chiang Mai, Krabi as well as other areas of Thailand also have popular tourist areas. It doesn't seen that all that much happens there. Kinda seems it is centered around walking streets...

Elzach, Beetle makes a lot of sense here and I for one do agree with him fully. if what you're saying were correct the people shouldn't complain you know. Life's a matter of free choice isn't it? And people too are absolutely free to be where they are perfectly happy not so? Therefore if an individual undergoes difficulties where he resides I'd think the best thing for him to do would be to leave and go somewhere where he / she could be perfectly happy, don't you think?

I agree. My point was that his attitude "take it or leave it" has bad consequences for Thailand. ie. if the foreigners decide not to take the violence or BS anymore and leave, that would be the consequence, Thailand losing a huge chunk of its GDP.

In any event, stats speak for themselves, a dose of reality shouldn't hurt anyone.

Has anyone ever been to a seaside resort/tourist town in the world with as much hostility from the locals against the foreigners as Pattaya , besides Phuket ?

Rio De Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Cape Town or anywhere in the Dominican Republic

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/17/worlds-safest-cities_n_2316459.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Before the xenophobia posts start would just like to say 'Passers-by assisted the injured man' I'm guessing that some of these people were Thai so all faith is not lost yetw00t.gif alt=w00t.gif>

As for officer Somchai Dimwit, not quite sure what he thinks about those pesky foreigners.

Sorry but I lost all faith in Thai's quite a few years back. It is the most vicious and racist nation I have ever been to (I have spent several months in 25 countries from the US to the middle east, Europe and a year in India as well as living in SE Asia for the past 12 years). I am sure there must be some good Thai's but from my personal experiences over the past decade they are few and far between.

I regularly warn friends not to travel to Thailand, come to Cambodia instead, the hospitality here is amazing and the smiles are far more genuine.

Sadly my instant reaction to meeting any Thai now is one of complete distrust.

You must be a rather nasty man yourself Allan, to be quite honest, in the last 10 years i have not experienced your problems.

Though this might put things into perspective .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Thanks!

Perspective indeed.

There seems to be little or no punishment (hence no deterrent) if the perpetrator is Thai and the victim is a foreigner.

I continue to enjoy living here but strangely, I work in Northern Iraq and feel safer walking the streets there than I do in BKK. Probably due to the number and press of people, of all varieties, around.

Is alcolhol freely available there ???..........say no more!

Every farang talking bad about Thai people lives in BK, Phuket, Pattaya, Ko Samui......and every news of violence in this forum is from those areas....How about North Thailand?...Why here we "farangs" do not have any trouble ? But...If you like trouble...you are also in wrong places...walk at night in Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Bogota, Manila, East LA...or the Harlem and Bronx in the US

You are completely incorrect there "ole mate".............Please remove Samui from your post. No problems here, come and see for yourself !

Yes mate ! the cops do it up there don't they, remember the Canadian guy ?

Rio De Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Cape Town or anywhere in the Dominican Republic

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/17/worlds-safest-cities_n_2316459.html

Oh ! shut morrobay..............obviously, you ain't been nowhere !