Are border officers required to allow valid visas, or do they have discretion?

I'm curious, can a border officer refuse you entry, even though you have a valid VISA? Or are their hands tied, and they have to abide by immigration law? If you have a valid VISA in your passport, no criminal record or anything like that, they have no choice but to let you in? Or on a whim can they decide to void the VISA, and refuse entry?

Only asking, because I got some pretty nasty looks all around a couple days ago. Thankfully my passport is now full, so I'll have a new one by the time another immigration official looks at it.

Edited by Nautilus05

They can always refuse entry but would normally have a very good reason for doing so.

Good to know. The irony of the whole thing was after getting a shaking head and disgusted look from the border official, I ended up catching a ride to Udon Thani with an immigration officer. Didn't know that until I was in his truck, seen the "Royal Thai Police" decals, his "Customs" baseball cap, business cards, etc.

No idea who he was, but after listening into a few of his phone conversations, I'm pretty sure he was definitely on the higher-end of the pay scale. Really nice guy though.

I think there's a chance the immigration officers / police have a deal worked out with that bus from Nong Khai to the Laos border. Around 4:30 - 5pm, all of a sudden the buses stop coming. Then the immigration officers (who are just getting off work) are nice enough to lend us foreigners a hand, in getting us to Nong Khai or Udon.... for a fee of course. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong though.

Edited by Nautilus05

A visa issued by any country does not guarantee entry to that country.

It allows the holder to travel to the country; but actual entry is subject to approval by the country's immigration department as represented by their immigration officers at the point of entry.

If immigration at the holder's point of entry have reason to suspect that the visa is no longer valid (e.g. it was obtained fraudulently or the holder's circumstances have significantly changed since it was issued such that the reasons for issuing it are no longer valid) then immigration can cancel it and deny the holder entry.

This is not a Thai thing, it's worldwide.

Correct, however, Thai immigration rarely refuses entry to foreigners holding legally obtained visas, who are not known to be criminals, in breach of any immigration laws in Thailand or otherwise known or suspected to be involved in any criminal activities. Even being rude would not likely be a reason to refuse admission, though I certainly wouldn't recommend it! If you are from a rich country or from an ASEAN visa exempt country, you won't even be spoken to, all will be well and you'll have nothing to worry about. Problems may arise if you are a citizen of most African countries (especially Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Congo, etc.) or from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Papua New Guinea etc. just to name a few. Nationals of these countries have a hard time obtaining a Thai visa in the first place and once they arrive, additional documents such as air tickets will be requested by the immigration officers upon arrival. Failure to produce the required documents could result in refusal of entry - however as far as the OP is concerned he is almost certainly admissible with a visa, provided he does not fall into any of the categories I have referred to here.

• Like 1

Just a short story: Returning from a trip out of Thailand, the immigration official looked at my visa (NON B ED - Education visa) which is on its 2nd year and has a multi entry stamp with it. She then said to me to step one side and called her senior, who told me I cannot have this visa. I asked why not to which he replied "you cannot have this visa". After several attempts to ask the reason he kept saying "You cannot have this visa" - I waited for a while - he wrote some report and stamped something into my passport - I was then led away to the Thai Airways desk and had to buy a ticket out of the country, which I did.

I asked the Thai Airways lady what the stamp was which the immigration guy put in my passport - she told me "insufficient funds to enter Thailand"

I was not asked at anytime to produce any statement of bank account and my visa was not cancelled....

I left Thailand to return the following day... I entered without any issue !!

So that is how they are - sometimes I wonder if they have any clue what they are doing !!

Just a short story: Returning from a trip out of Thailand, the immigration official looked at my visa (NON B ED - Education visa) which is on its 2nd year and has a multi entry stamp with it. She then said to me to step one side and called her senior, who told me I cannot have this visa. I asked why not to which he replied "you cannot have this visa". After several attempts to ask the reason he kept saying "You cannot have this visa" - I waited for a while - he wrote some report and stamped something into my passport - I was then led away to the Thai Airways desk and had to buy a ticket out of the country, which I did.

I asked the Thai Airways lady what the stamp was which the immigration guy put in my passport - she told me "insufficient funds to enter Thailand"

I was not asked at anytime to produce any statement of bank account and my visa was not cancelled....

So that is how they are - sometimes I wonder if they have any clue what they are doing !!

What country are you from?

"So that is how they are - sometimes I wonder if they have any clue what they are doing !!"

"my visa (NON B ED - Education visa) which is on its 2nd year"

You have a 2 year visa for education? A non immigrant B Visa? I thought immigrations now only granted extensions of stay for 90 days at a time, or are you at a government university? Why on a Non B visa?

You might want to double-check on long you were given permission to stay by the second officer.

Edited by Suradit69

Maybe he thought you were someone else. Farang have a tendency to look alike.

What country are you from?

South Africa

"So that is how they are - sometimes I wonder if they have any clue what they are doing !!"

"my visa (NON B ED - Education visa) which is on its 2nd year"

You have a 2 year visa for education? A non immigrant B Visa? I thought immigrations now only granted extensions of stay for 90 days at a time, or are you at a government university? Why on a Non B visa?

You might want to double-check on long you were given permission to stay by the second officer.

The Education Visa can be renewed year after year... Education visa falls under "NON B"

I am allowed to stay for a year - the visa is valid for a year ... that has nothing to do with the issue of re-entry to the country.

The issue is not where I am from - it has nothing to do with the visa been illegal... the visa is LEGAL with a MULTI ENTRY stamp valid for a year...

I have never had an overstay - never broken any visa laws - it seems to be a face saving issue... when the immigration official saw the visa was legal he still went ahead and stamps "insufficient funds to enter Thailand" in my passport... which is great for returning to the country at future times !! The stamp is still there !!!

I know the visa laws well after been coming to Thailand for 10 yrs and working in the country twice ON A WORK PERMIT & NON B Business visa.

We have no rights at entry with or without a visa - immigration has the last say...

A very "odd" story !

Can this be true ?

"my visa (NON B ED - Education visa) which is on its 2nd year and has a multi entry stamp with it. "

I suspect there much more to tell in this tale !

They can always refuse entry but would normally have a very good reason for doing so.

A friend from the xxxxxx embassy just explained it to me. He says it's pretty much an international

protocol; entry / not allowed to enter is deliberately left open until the actual moment. A visa may

have been already approved on the information supplied with the initial visa application, but the officer

at the entry point has the discretion / the duty to take into account new information, on the moment

observations etc., and in some cases override the visa stamp.

Edited by scorecard

Maybe the officer was thinking, "This African guy has been coming to Thailand for 10 years, twice to work and Non B Business, and now he is here to go to school?"

Just sayin.

African Guy ? Sorry I did not know there was issues with that - I am a white South African of German parents.

The post I put here is true - believe it or not.. up to you. I was merely making the point that Immigration have the last say ....visa or not.

Just saying

Would be most intersted to see a scan of this particular visa (photoshop out any personal details before you upload it ) and also to know where it was issued - Non Immigrant Ed Visas do not fall under MFA Category 'B' cases, see link below:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Maybe you have a dodgy or erroneous visa sticker/stamp and this is why you were refused entry.

Maybe you are not on a visa at all , but have a One Year Extension of Permission to Stay based on following a course of Education/Study - National Police Order 777/2551 case 2.9 with a Multiple Re-Entry Permit (possibly in your case issued extending an original Non 'B' entry permission stamp (these when issued in HKT used to be for one year until recently, but for most areas were only issued as 90 day extensions for those on language courses, as is the case for HKT now)).

A friend from the xxxxxx embassy just explained it to me. He says it's pretty much an international

protocol; entry / not allowed to enter is deliberately left open until the actual moment. A visa may

have been already approved on the information supplied with the initial visa application, but the officer

at the entry point has the discretion / the duty to take into account new information, on the moment

observations etc., and in some cases override the visa stamp.

Point made... thanks

A very "odd" story !

Can this be true ?

"my visa (NON B ED - Education visa) which is on its 2nd year and has a multi entry stamp with it. "

I suspect there much more to tell in this tale !

Why odd? Unless you call me a liar - education visas to study Thai or anything else in the country can be renewed year by year... and a multi entry stamp is also possible... ask your local immigration office if in doubt.

I called no one a liar.

These were the words stated in the post I responded to ---

Yes I do doubt the validity of what is being said !

Maybe someone will explain it to me !

"

The visa is valid - the multi re-entry stamp is also valid. This is the 2nd and last year of the visa which was renewed. Expires next month.

I have been studying and have a letter from the university as proof (for immigration)

If the visa was not legal the immigration official should of cancelled the visa on the spot - he never did. He stamped "insufficient funds to enter the country"

All the info is posted on the initial post - I am not here to validate my visa to the forum - the intention of the post was to indicate that Immigration have the final say at border / airport entry points - with a visa in the passport or not !!

I think alot of the readers here missed my point...anyhow on a final note... thanks for the great support.

Tell me about the "visa" which has a two year validity !

Have a look here !

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

I can see no mention of an ED category or a 2 year validity but that is, of course, my failing !

How is one of these "Visas" obtained and where from ?

They must be very rare and difficult to obtain !

Immigration officers do indeed have discretion as to who they allow into the country !

The same discretionary power is invested in all Immigration officers no matter which country they represent .

Edited by jrtmedic

try to make it EASY FOR YOU !! education visa is valid for 12 months... it can be renewed for another 12 months and another 12 months and another 12 months and another 12 months.... or re-apply year by year... hope you understand now?

The visa is valid - the multi re-entry stamp is also valid. This is the 2nd and last year of the visa which was renewed. Expires next month.

I have been studying and have a letter from the university as proof (for immigration)

If the visa was not legal the immigration official should of cancelled the visa on the spot - he never did. He stamped "insufficient funds to enter the country"

All the info is posted on the initial post - I am not here to validate my visa to the forum - the intention of the post was to indicate that Immigration have the final say at border / airport entry points - with a visa in the passport or not !!

I think alot of the readers here missed my point...anyhow on a final note... thanks for the great support.

You are not on a visa, you in fact appear to have an Extension of Permission to Stay (Case 2.8 or 2.9) with a Multiple Re-Entry Permit (both issued by Immigration inside of Thailand and not at a Thai Consulate).

In that case the Immigration Officer had no right to refuse entry if you had a valid Multiple Re-entry Permit, as you already had a one year permission to stay, issued by Thai immigration.

Maybe there was a problem with the validity of your Multiple Re-entry Permit. Did you get a new Multiple Re-Entry Permit from Immigration for your second one year extension after the 30 day under consideration period and for the remaining 11 month period of extension?.

Perhaps when you came back to Thailand the next day you were just given a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp (you state that you only had a month to run on this extension anyway).

A common problem is that posters wrongly use (the admittedly very confusing) Thai immigration terminology which then leads forum members on paths of deduction, many of which may yet further confuse the poster, since they do not realise that they have unintentionly misdirected other members through particular choices of terminology.

try to make it EASY FOR YOU !! education visa is valid for 12 months... it can be renewed for another 12 months and another 12 months and another 12 months and another 12 months.... or re-apply year by year... hope you understand now?

In that case why did you choose to say "my visa (NON B ED - Education visa) which is on its 2nd year" in your post at #6 if not to deliberately confuse us all?!! And your patronising tone isn't going to win you many friends here!

Edited by OJAS

You are not on a visa, you in fact appear to have an Extension of Permission to Stay (Case 2.8 or 2.9) with a Multiple Re-Entry Permit (both issued by Immigration inside of Thailand and not at a Thai Consulate).

In that case the Immigration Officer had no right to refuse entry if you had a valid Multiple Re-entry Permit, as you already had a one year permission to stay, issued by Thai immigration.

Maybe there was a problem with the validity of your Multiple Re-entry Permit. Did you get a new Multiple Re-Entry Permit from Immigration for your second one year extension after the 30 day under consideration period and for the remaining 11 month period of extension?.

Perhaps when you came back to Thailand the next day you were just given a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp (you state that you only had a month to run on this extension anyway).

A common problem is that posters wrongly use (the admittedly very confusing) Thai immigration terminology which then leads forum members on paths of deduction, many of which may yet further confuse the poster, since they do not realise that they have unintentionly misdirected other members through particular choices of terminology.

When I came back into Thailand the following day - the immigration officer stamped me in as per always... he never saw the "insufficient funds stamp" - I went my local immigration office to ask about the visa & multi entry stamp and they said it was all in order.

According to the university, they also said the immigration at the airport had no right to refuse me entry as I had already met the criteria to have the present visa...

I was not asked about funds or anything else. Just had to leave the country, costing me a flight and hotel for the night. Just inconvenient and disappointing that the official never allowed me in on the first place.

When I came back into Thailand the following day - the immigration officer stamped me in as per always... he never saw the "insufficient funds stamp" - I went my local immigration office to ask about the visa & multi entry stamp and they said it was all in order.

According to the university, they also said the immigration at the airport had no right to refuse me entry as I had already met the criteria to have the present visa...

I was not asked about funds or anything else. Just had to leave the country, costing me a flight and hotel for the night. Just inconvenient and disappointing that the official never allowed me in on the first place.

Furthermore - I have left the country and re-entered 3 times since this issue - without any further issues.

Another short story about Immigration officials.

I was on my 5th or 6th trip (over 2 years) to Jakarta to see my daughter and ex (both Indonesians) and was stopped briefly at Immigration as the official looked at his computer for 4 or 5 minutes till his buddy told him to hit a key or 2 and then I was stamped in. Walked to luggage and was outside when 2 officers came and got me and brought me back inside where I was interrogated. They told me I was black listed. (10 years ago my passport was stolen and it wound up in the hands of an international drug trafficker who was caught and was doing time in Bali. I know cause US Immigration told me this when they issued me the new passport back in'94). Why they blacklisted me along with the Nigerian who was drug running with a stolen passport is a mystery.

I showed them the many entry stamps, and calmly explained there is a mistake. Then more and more officers came into the room. My passport was examined under blacklight and told it was 'Tampered with'. Well... I thought about it and they were kinda right... I explained that the Embassy had added pages, but they did not like this.

Denied entry. They stamped me out. (I was already stamped in). Then I was held in a small room until the evening flight when I was escorted by police onto the plane, much to the amusement of fellow passengers and people in the airport.

I now think the first guy was looking for some money. Alone in a room, if I had thought quick enough I might have slipped a couple hundred $ into the book. I knew I had nothing to hide. But once there were 5 or 6 guys involved it got intimidating.

I got a new passport and have not had any problems since.

Edited by Minnehaha

This is from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website today:

10. Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General have the authority to issue visas to foreigners for travel to Thailand. The authority to permit entry and stay in Thailand, however, is with the immigration officers. In some cases, the immigration officer may not permit foreigner holding a valid visa entry into Thailand should the immigration officer find reason to believe that he or she falls into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

One reason to believe one might be prohibited from entering the Kingdom is if one has multiple tourist visas, even though one has declared on the Visa application that he/she is engaging in no occupation while in Thailand, that one is indeed working while in Thailand.