Question on Extensions

1) A single-entry Tourist visa can be extended twice, back to back? 30 days 1900 Bht each time?

(the US embassy website mentions this and that was news to me)

2) A 30 day visa-free entry stamp can be extended once for 7 days @ 1900 Bht?

Thanks!

1. No, only 1 extension per entry.

2. Correct, but it isn't a real extension more an administrative trick.

Mario,

You like to confuse people.

Yes you are correct but everybody (even the immigration officers ) calls it a extension. smile.png

Even the TM7 form has "Application for extension of temporary stay in the kingdom" on top of it.

1. No, only 1 extension per entry.

2. Correct, but it isn't a real extension more an administrative trick.

Mario,

You like to confuse people.

Yes you are correct but everybody (even the immigration officers ) calls it a extension. xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

Even the TM7 form has "Application for extension of temporary stay in the kingdom" on top of it.

The point is that the "Application for extension of temporary stay in the kingdom" is refused !

7 days are given during which time the applicant will have to

leave.

Evidence of a ticket out of Thailand can be required prior to the 7 days being granted.

I see nothing "confusing" about Mario's post.

• Like 2

That's way i said that he is correct.

But you have to agree that for the normal tourist who does not know much about the immigration (like OP sounds to be) rules it is confusing.

I don't address this to the experienced people here as most of us know of the rules.

But most of the time those questions are coming from the inexperienced tourist.

Edited by merijn

What you actually do is applying for an extension, which is denied as there is no ground to give you an extension.

Now you appeal to the denial and immigration makes a decision within 7 days to make a final decision. For that you must come back on day 7 to get the denial. As you know it will be denied, you just leave the country without going back to immirgation.

Some people fill additional documents in those 7 days wich makes it clear that they do are entitled to an extension of stay. Like when you lose your job, apply for the denied extension and within those 7 days find another job or can show the required documents for an extension based on marriage or retirement.

What you actually do is applying for an extension, which is denied as there is no ground to give you an extension.

Now you appeal to the denial and immigration makes a decision within 7 days to make a final decision. For that you must come back on day 7 to get the denial. As you know it will be denied, you just leave the country without going back to immirgation.

Some people fill additional documents in those 7 days wich makes it clear that they do are entitled to an extension of stay. Like when you lose your job, apply for the denied extension and within those 7 days find another job or can show the required documents for an extension based on marriage or retirement.

Mario, You don't have to convince me. smile.png

But i get people on a daily basis for those 7 day (extensions) and off course they ask for a extension with the TM7 form.

I gave up explaining to them that this is in fact not a extension but a 7 grace period for a extension refusal.

You have to see the faces from them, if they see water burning when we try to explain this to them.

( some of them even get angry at thinking that they can't have the 7 days at all without listening to the officers )

Therefore we and everybody at the immigration office just call this a 7 day extension so to make it easier and clear for the costumers.

merijn

Which just perpetuates myth and misunderstanding !

I have never had a problem with explaining the nature of the 7 days and have never described it as an extension of stay !smile.png

Words along the lines of "They may give you 7 days to pack up and leave" are easily understood by most !

Edited by jrtmedic
  • Like 1

But i get people on a daily basis for those 7 day (extensions) and off course they ask for a extension with the TM7 form.

I gave up explaining to them that this is in fact not a extension but a 7 grace period for a extension refusal.

You have to see the faces from them, if they see water burning when we try to explain this to them.

( some of them even get angry at thinking that they can't have the 7 days at all without listening to the officers )

Therefore we and everybody at the immigration office just call this a 7 day extension so to make it easier and clear for the costumers.

Calling it a 7 day extension doesn't make it clear since you will get a stamp in your passport saying that the extension has been denied. If believing it to be standard extension, you will be confused as to why you have both a stamp granting you an extra 7 days, as well as a stamp saying that your request for extension have been denied.

Sophon

"some of them even get angry at thinking that they can't have the 7 days at all without listening to the officers"

Whether or not they get angry, and you can't know that's going to happen before you tell them the facts, that's no excuse for misinforming them. It's not Mario who's fooling anyone, but it sounds like that's what you're doing.

• Like 1