Dunkin' Donuts Thailand under fire for 'racist' ad campaign

webfact

Please please Please ....

I came to get away from all this Western B/S ..One thing I love about Thai , If someone Pom Poy , you tell em Pom Poy Mach Mach ..If Black you Black , If you Woman you Woman ..Lets not get this Utter C*ap Ploitical Correctness ...

Want to relive Life in THe Western World ? ..Then please Leave ! Just let Asia be Asia ..Memories of Distain ..Cant Stand It .

Mind you , avoid this Company anyhow , this " FOOD " is beyond the Beyond ...I remember being in LA , and they telling me " Man ..You gottaaa Haaave this Dunkin Doughtnut Coffe ..Its Incredible " ..It was as Most in LA disgusting .

This advert can only be seen is racist to racist people. Phil Robertson, you sir, are an idiot.

Could not agree more. This is nonesense and Mr Robertson is indeed an idiot who needs to get a life and find something more credible to justify his existance. This racist and PC rhetoric has simply gone too far.

If this truly is a concern for him he is simply in the wrong job. There are far more pressing human rights issues in this country than this trivial advert which if it offends anyone, then I am in total despair.

Well there are still black man mops around and darkie toothpaste changed to darklie.

<p>

Dunkin' Donuts apologises for 'bizarre and racist' Thai advert

Poster to promote new 'charcoal donut' featured Thailand chief executive's daughter in 'blackface"

Dunkin-Donuts-Thai-advert-010.jpg

Why is this so offensive.

other than its not really that great of an advert, IMO.

The reason it is offensive is that it represents job security for self-appointed politial correctness police that take it upon themselves to know what is best for everyone else.

I am amazed that this is all he came up with. Read just about every job advert for secretaries. They all break the Thai constitution.

Black people find everything racist sad to say.

What a moronic statement.

You're probably one of those cry babies who complains of rampant political correctness in their homelands and then, in the next breath, bitches about being called "farang" and dual pricing in Thailand

Give it a few years and I swear - right hand to God - that some white plank will start a movement to outlaw use of the word "farang".

Who knows but one day, some ignorant Thai tosser will rock up on a forum saying "White people find everything racist sad to say".

• Like 1

My first thought was, what the f*** is a charcoal donut? It sounds pretty awful. If it's a chocolate donut then maybe try to convey that concept. A charcoal donut sounds like something I might use to start a barbeque?

Who knows what DD's local franchisee, his daughter and their ad agency were thinking? They probably didn't even realize what they were portraying might have negative connotations in other countries? So given they are clueless their intent was not racist. It's not at all unlike the local Hitler Fried Chicken shop; that nimrod had no clue how offensive some/many/all in other countries find Hitler's image. No bad intent, just clueless.

That said, the woman appears to have a nose piercing, I honestly can't tell for sure as most of the images available on the internet are not very hi-res, which would make the image appear extremely unacceptable and would be labeled racist in the U.S., save perhaps by a jury of six non-black women in Florida. wink.png

The TV spot is a bit more reasonable, and even puts the print ad in a bit of context. Probably OK for promoting a donut in Thailand. The folks back in Canton may not be copying this campaign in the U.S. wink.png But how's about a new Buddha donut?

• Like 1

I think it would be a good cause for those of us in Thailand, [or not in Thailand for that matter} to demand that the ad be reinstated or else we will boycott Dunkin Donuts. The fact that this "Jerk " HRW guy who is supposed to have lived in Thailand for 20 years, is so ignorant of his enviroment, is apalling. He may know otherwise, but is just professionally covering his a$$ , by trying to placate the noisemakers. Well let us become the noisemakers and let him placate us.

The fact that corporate America has nothing better to do than stirr up a mess like this is mindboggeling..... Find somewhere to get into a war or start one..... forget about sticking American PCness into any other country. Sounds like back to G Bush...... you're either with us or against us...... Corporate America and Political Correctness America....LEAVE US ALONE !!! tend to your own borders.

And if anyone doesn't know the why..... its all stirred up to cater to the vote for the politicans, not what is right, rather , what is right to get you to vote for me...

AND one more thing....

BRING BACK AUNT JEMIMA !!

Uncle Ben Also!! I bet you he could get rid of all the rice that Thailand has been stockpiling.

In the TV spot, the daughter has a complexion as white as a polar bear, after she enjoys her Charcoal Donut, she turns black. The creators probably thought it was "cute", but in a country which has a tendency to think of beauty/class as directly related to fair skin, it might be sending the wrong message? I mean most Thais might think this donut will make their skin darker so they might not buy it? Is a vanilla donut coming soon? ;)

I might have pitched a Panda in the role, given how popular that one with the TV show is. Then maybe have a pile of bamboo or the donut, he chooses the donut and voila, all black? Or maybe the Kiwi Rugby team? They could be doing the Hakka, have some yummy charcoal donuts, then turn "All Black"?

Perhaps they will now refer to this product as the "Darlie" Doughnutwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I use Darlie Toothpaste it's the best!

no siree, I is a pink peyson, and i DO NOT lIKE BEING CALLED WHITE. So Mr.... I suggest you hold yo colo based comments to yoself.

A Thai skin whitening cream, for instance, is advertised in television commercials as boosting job prospects for those who use it. According to the AP, the commercials say white-skinned people have a better chance of landing a job than those with dark skin.

That is unless you are advertising black donuts !

As a white person, I think this denigrates my race, making black look more attractive than white. I wish that HRW would get on the case. I had a dream...

Hate to rain on your parade, but in a lot of cases black is more attractive to white...................whistling.gif

"Black face" became unacceptable during the civil rights movement in the US during the 1960's. [see, wikipedia] "Black face" was considered offensive because of it's past use to reinforce racial stereotypes. In this day of mixed marriages and multi-cultural societies, it would be racist of me to assume that the woman in the advertisement was 'white'. Her facial features appear to be white...... but she could be black, creole, or whatever. She could be a dark-skinned person with pink lipstick. No matter what this young beautiful woman's ethnicity is, I don't see that this advertisement reinforces any particular racial stereotype. And I seriously doubt that the young people, to whom this advertisement is directed, have ever heard of 'black face' or Al Jolson or Stephen Foster. I spent most of my life in Hawaii. Ethnic humor has become an art form and part of many famous comedy acts. If you can find it on the internet, listen to the lyrics of 'Mr. Sun Cho Lee' by the Beamer Brothers. Hilarious!

I am looking forward to the local launch of the "Charcoal Munchkins", maybe they can use some jet-black, strapping Africans to portray Nubian Enuchs. One bite and their voices go from high to low. You could have jungle music playing in the background. They could be chucking spears as target practice on some inferior donuts, trying to get the spear through the hole. Maybe a farang boiling away in a pot?

DD Munchkins are the donut holes, essentially "balls".

post-9615-0-75397200-1377954448_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo