you did a RTW trip, can you share experience?

THAIPHUKET

Intrigued by this post in the airline deals section

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boycie

Posted Yesterday, 21:18

Another good website as a suggestion to be pinned to "Round the World Sites" is

http://www.roundtheworldflights.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started dreaming, spoil myself with a business class RTW trip, my only worry is, it may result simply in an overcharge of memories because such endeavor should last ................., how long?

That is my question to anyone who has done it. What were the expectations and which ones were met?

I like this one!

http://www.fourseasons.com/aroundtheworld/

When I did my 2 year trip many years ago, I decided not to book a RTW trip. There a few restrictions that kept me from doing it. I eventually did make it all the way around. But stopped in many places that I hadn't planned on when I started out. And due to a few local issues, my plans changed a bit.

But it sure does sound like fun!!

My very first trip to Asia and Thailand in 2002 was a part of a RTW trip booked thru a now defunct agency in San Francisco.

For years, I had noticed the weekly tombstone ad in the New York Times Sunday Travel Section. AROUND THE WORLD $999.00

My long term relationship had dissolved and I sold my business. Several long calls later, I made my booking. The ticket policy was I had one year from departure date to complete my travel. I could stop as many times as I wanted as long as I maintained direction of travel...no backtracking or vertical itinerary's. I did it in 3 months..., starting at JFK, New York,..HK, Bangkok, India, Greece, Eastern Europe, France and England, finally returning to JFK, changed forever. Within months I was on my way to Bangkok again and Have never looked back.

Airlines were pretty dodgy at the time, Jfk as far as BKK were all on China Air...the rest on Air India...not as dreadful as some report, but I would not want to fly it again.

Do it, do it, do it!!

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Agree do it do it do it.

Done it 2 and a half times around before every time new and different experiences.

The half time bit was suposed to be overland which it was all the way from uk to Irkutsk but then when there could not resist trans siberian so never made the jump across to alaska and back to uk.

The first time round the world was with booked direct with One World. Price if I remember correct was around £6000 that brought I think 6 flights in 5 zones so north us, south america, asia, oz/nz and europe.

Planed for 1 year in total travel but it ended at being about 8 months. My regrets for the trip was not planning and not reading small print for RTW ticket. Never relised there are restrictions on the ticket. 2 biggest restriction were cant go backwards and once you leave an area the remaining flights for that zone are dead. Which is what happened to me. Rush rush from asia to oz and found I could not return to asia to use remaining flights. Real under sight on my part.

Not sure if the same conditions apply today but my advice is if you book a full rtw ticket ask as many questions as you can before and plan plan plan your flights accordingly.

Exp date for all flights was 12 months from the first flight.

2nd time rtw went it alone independent tickets. Cheaper all in all but far more time consuming always looking in internet cafes for deals on net, trips to airport's for standby and last minutes. Length of time was around 14 months. This option was far less restricted but you do tend to get lazy during your travel if you have limitless time.

The half time and most resent atempt at rtw was 2010 overland. Far the best experience and the most fun but hard work. Total time 7 months cost was around £4000. Pre planning for the european train tickets was around 6 months to get the cheapest tickets.

So as yo see 3 more examples many different ways. But if you have the opertunity then go go go . I recommend it see the world.

Best of luck.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I like this one!

http://www.fourseasons.com/aroundtheworld/

When I did my 2 year trip many years ago, I decided not to book a RTW trip. There a few restrictions that kept me from doing it. I eventually did make it all the way around. But stopped in many places that I hadn't planned on when I started out. And due to a few local issues, my plans changed a bit.

But it sure does sound like fun!!

re- fourseasons, I know, Craig, that is not really your style of traveling, not even a dream

I can see the tickle ..but at second thought : how many hours of the 25 day RtW would I be sitting on the plane or in airports.

Also on second thought, I would prefer keeping my re-scheduling freedom, like you did.

dddave and iamanisland, I wish I could hear more of your stories, for dddave it was life changing and iamanisland could not get enough of it. Thank you for sharing a tiny glimpse of it.

The dreaming about, the planning process must be the best part of it.

One complication is= the red tape for crossing many borders with an unmarried Thai lady may spoil the excitement.

Smaller segments may increase the pleasure experience.

maybe take an around the world cruise?

i am sure there is some great deals, and while there is not that much freedom in a way planning your trip ( the ports are set by cruiseline, but couple of lines to choose from), on the other hand a real convinient way of travelling, without packing and flights and airport hassles.

duration is usually 3-4 months, most case probably stop in 40-60 countries?

Ahhh I under stand the red tape problem.

But there are smaller more ridgid rtw tickets to be had. Ok longer flying sectors it will be for sure and less smaller countries but it is possible to line up all thoses ducks. What just take more planning and a lot more explanation to embassies as to what you were doing

Never read or herd thai national getting visa's with effectively an open air ticket and no diffinate date of return. Thats before we question accommodation job and financial support.

However chin up, I guess as always anything is possible.

Just a sugestion look at the countries she is visa free or exempt and work around that?? It is possible and ypu both could see so much.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

dddave and iamanisland, I wish I could hear more of your stories, for dddave it was life changing and iamanisland could not get enough of it. Thank you for sharing a tiny glimpse of it.

The dreaming about, the planning process must be the best part of it.

One complication is= the red tape for crossing many borders with an unmarried Thai lady may spoil the excitement.

Smaller segments may increase the pleasure experience.

Thai passport is going to be a big deal. Luckily, when I got married, we moved back to the US for 3 years to get her US citizenship. No way we could have traveled like we did with a Thai passport. Cruising around and deciding on a whim what border to cross next is easy with a US passport. Sometimes near impossible with a Thai passport.

My first trip was as a single man. After that, as a married man. I do LOVE traveling solo, but with somebody else, you've got someone to share that fantastic travel moment we all live for. Like sitting on the banks of the Nile for the first time, watching feluccas cruising by and drinking a glass of Stella. Either way, it's fantastic. But with your partner, even better. IMHO.

There are lots of places a Thai can visit easily. Japan just opened up a lot. And what a fantastic country. A bit expensive though!! 55555

If you search ThaiVisa, there is a list pinned of all the countries a Thai national can visit with visa or entry on arrival. Maybe someone will post the link.

Cathay Pacific and it's airline partners offer a variety of RTW, Around Asia and Open Jaw options. Check their Website.

I believe AIRTREKS INTERNATIONAL, A RTW booking agency is still in operation. They always enjoyed a good reputation. Not the cheapest though. Rising airfares and high seat occupancy rates have made RTW packages far more difficult to arrange than 10 years ago.

Edited by dddave