Refusing to recognise the validity of newly issued UK passports

If anyone can go to the trouble of making a fake UK passport to fool the Thai immigration, I'm certain that they can also make a fake embassy letter confirming the fake passport's authenticity. Are Thai immigration this stupid, or are they just trying everything to make it difficult for everyone?

So is the UK Border Force going to introduce reciprocal measures? Let us ignore all biometric data, computerised records of previous immigration history, all built in anti- forgery technology and the embedded microchip. Let us simply demand a typewritten note on a piece of paper from the Amphur official in the local office, spelt in Thai language with a poor quality translation into English (wit 3 extra photocopies of the same paper if required...)

This will remove all possible doubt in the matter. and will streamline the process ...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Canadian Embassy issues a letter confirming issuance of new passport with details. This can then be copied or given to immigration when transferring needed items. Have never had an issue.

Not sure how long the OP has lived in Thailand but as with all things here the rules vary from area to area. Thai Immigration officials can ask for most anything they like if they wanted to.

I'm interested because I am about to go through those hoops and renew my passport. But I must point out that with the new passport should come a receipt for the amount debited to your card. Could you not have shown that? While it is probably Thai authorities playing silly beggars, there may be a legitimate security issue if you're presenting a virgin new passport.

I recently came back to Bangkok after a holiday in the UK. Whilst there I got a new passport. On entering Immigration at the airport I gave them my old passport with my Retirement Visa and Multiple Entry Visa stamped in it and my new Passport. No problem. Went to Immigration Bangkok the following day with completed Immigration form to "transfer stamp into new passport" and again no problem. Maybe something to do if you renew your passport without leaving Thailand.

I recently came back to Bangkok after a holiday in the UK. Whilst there I got a new passport. On entering Immigration at the airport I gave them my old passport with my Retirement Visa and Multiple Entry Visa stamped in it and my new Passport. No problem. Went to Immigration Bangkok the following day with completed Immigration form to "transfer stamp into new passport" and again no problem. Maybe something to do if you renew your passport without leaving Thailand.

Think if you have been allowed through UK immigration with your new passport with an exit stamp it must verify a legit passport.

• Like 1

wayned

The "Elected officials" will have had very little input to this mess. The smear of bureaucracy is, however clear.

The intention I have no doubt was good and sought to reduce passport fraud which emanated from some third world Embassies.

However, as always, the bureaucracy have failed to join all the dots !

I guess that I would have to disagree. You elected the officials that are now in charge of managing the bureaucracy that now exists, so it's their job and their responsibility to "fix it"!

Owing to the quirkiness of the British electoral system it is not possible for us Brits to trot along to our Embassy to cast our votes for an election back home, as it seemingly is for most other Western nationals. The only way in which we expats could vote in UK elections in theory would be to register for postal voting at the last UK address we lived at. In practice, however, this is unlikely to work because postal ballot papers are not issued until 10 days before a particular election. Given the speed of the snail mail service between the UK and Thailand, it seems questionable whether ballot papers would even be received here by polling day, let alone make the return journey in time to be included in the count!

In any event, even if we Brits were able to vote in an election back home, it seems unlikely that our numbers here would be sufficient as collectively to influence its outcome. Basically we are, I fear, in the hands of the silent majority back home who couldn’t give a toss about our plight on this particular issue at any rate.

I was initialy asked for a letter when getting my stamps transferred to a new UK passport at Jomtien in July. Fortunately the kind and helpful lady officer explained that a letter was required because I had neglected to cancel my old passport by cutting off a corner. I offered to correct my error immediately. She lent me her scissors. Problem solved...no letter required.

• Like 1

Good luck at the British Embassy, the world's most unhelpful consular staff, with penty of hostile attitude for afters.

p.s. no chance of dealing with a British national, although if you did they probably would be not much better.

p.p.s I am British.

I have been dealing with the British Embassy for over 7 years and have not had a problem. When the Thai Consulate refused to accept a UK Death Certificate and said the BE had to legalise it they were very helpful being as it is not possible to legalise a legal government document.

Will enquire with the local expats to find out if anyone has had the problem and will post details.

wayned

The "Elected officials" will have had very little input to this mess. The smear of bureaucracy is, however clear.

The intention I have no doubt was good and sought to reduce passport fraud which emanated from some third world Embassies.

I guess that I would have to disagree. You elected the officials that are now in charge of managing the bureaucracy that now exists, so it's their job and their responsibility to "fix it"!

Owing to the quirkiness of the British electoral system it is not possible for us Brits to trot along to our Embassy to cast our votes for an election back home, as it seemingly is for most other Western nationals. The only way in which we expats could vote in UK elections in theory would be to register for postal voting at the last UK address we lived at. In practice, however, this is unlikely to work because postal ballot papers are not issued until 10 days before a particular election. Given the speed of the snail mail service between the UK and Thailand, it seems questionable whether ballot papers would even be received here by polling day, let alone make the return journey in time to be included in the count!

In any event, even if we Brits were able to vote in an election back home, it seems unlikely that our numbers here would be sufficient as collectively to influence its outcome. Basically we are, I fear, in the hands of the silent majority back home who couldn’t give a toss about our plight on this particular issue at any rate.

You can instruct a proxy to vote for you.

wayned

You can instruct a Proxy to vote for you.

I was initialy asked for a letter when getting my stamps transferred to a new UK passport at Jomtien in July. Fortunately the kind and helpful lady officer explained that a letter was required because I had neglected to cancel my old passport by cutting off a corner. I offered to correct my error immediately. She lent me her scissors. Problem solved...no letter required.

Last year in July I transferred stamps from my old to my new passport. I don't think a letter was presented. I too omitted to cut the corners of the old passport, but the Imm officer gave me scissors to cut them, and all was well. Has anyone had the letter request from Chaengwattana recently? Similarly has anyone had to pay the new fee and present all the paperwork as if for another Extension of Stay at Chaengwattana recently? Do you have to pay for another Re-entry permit too, or can that be transferred free of charge?

If anyone can go to the trouble of making a fake UK passport to fool the Thai immigration, I'm certain that they can also make a fake embassy letter confirming the fake passport's authenticity. Are Thai immigration this stupid, or are they just trying everything to make it difficult for everyone?

That is what they are trying to do and "it is one of the few things that they do very well" to I might add.

Most Passports I have been issued are stamped by the issuer saying the new passport Number XXXX replaces the old passport Number YYYY due to lost/stolen/cancelled validity etc.

This letter BS is just another revenue making scam by consulates and Embassies because surely they will charge to issue it!

I have had two passports renewed by the German embassy. Both times I received a paper addressed to Thai immigration informing them that my old passport was replaced with a new one and asking them to provide any assistance I might need. I think this is polite and keeps all in the loop regarding the details of travel document a foreigner holds whilst inside Thailand.

It turned out however that I did not need the letter at all, Bangkok immigration did not ask for it. That is 5 years ago.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This letter BS is just another revenue making scam by consulates

and Embassies because surely they will charge to issue it!

Surely? Non-sense! Did you read previous pages?

I think nearly all(?) countries (except UK) automatically provide this famous

letter with a new passport, and in most cases it's free of charge smile.png

This letter BS is just another revenue making scam by consulates

and Embassies because surely they will charge to issue it!

Surely? Non-sense! Did you read previous pages?

I think nearly all(?) countries (except UK) automatically provide this famous

letter with a new passport, and in most cases it's free of charge Posted Image

When you get a new passport from HK they send you a receipt. I know because just done it.. they also charge you 125 HK dollars for the privilege :D

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I had my visas transferred from Old UK passport to New UK passport last week with no letter and with no problems all I had to do was cut the corners of the old passport in front of the officer........no cost either....my visa is valid until end Jan 2014.....my passport would have expired Dec 2013.

Similarly has anyone had to pay the new fee and present all the paperwork as if for another Extension of Stay at Chaengwattana recently? Do you have to pay for another Re-entry permit too, or can that be transferred free of charge? 

From previous post I made (#41).

Transfers can still be done.

If you currently have an extension the new rules do not apply to it. Even if it was less than a year because of passport validity they will still give the remainder of the full year when you renew it.

If you apply for a new extension with less than one year remaining on passport your extension will only be good to expiration date of your passport. When you get the new passport if it is before the extension ends they will transfer the stamps. You would then go back to immigration and apply for a new extension when shortened extension expires.

If your passport has less than a year of validity remaining what you have to do now is get a new passport before applying for extension if you want a full year.

It used to be that immigration would make exceptions for UK passports as they were aware that Embassy did not provide the normal letter - but it seems they have started to take a harder line recently as getting many reports of issues lately.

wayned

You can instruct a proxy to vote for you.

True, and thanks for pointing that out. Even with proxies, however, our collective influence on the outcome of UK elections would still be all but non-existent, I fear.

For what it is worth to you, I am not a british citize, but swedish!!! I just got my new passport lastweek ,and my

embassy ALWAYS enclose a letter addressed to the immigration, where they kindly ask the immigration to transfer

the stamps involved..

Maybe this is a polite thing to do, and you lack that polite document.... I dont know just wanted to be helpful,

and tell you about my situation.....

Glegolo

Me the same with belgian passport, no problem in BKK.

How about when you send your stuff off to HK you put an attached note asking for an authentication letter that the new passport (number) is a replacement for the old passport (number). Then see what happens.

Better Idea for you Brit's:

There is a supplied copy of the letter, supplied in the first page of this Post. How about making a copy, or two keeping one on file, to help someother Bloke out when the Question arises, and it will. As it is implied that HK who is renewing your Passports is doing a Half Assed Job. THEN.... Taking the other one WITH both Passports to the British Embassy and asking them to complete the proccess where HK failed.

Also Include a letter from CM Immigration requesting this. Or a leter stating this is required and is being provided with New Passport by All Other Embassies here.

Here is a copy of the Letter That should have accompanied your New Passport. This is specified from British Embassy.

"You can Thank the original Poster in Comment #8 for researching and attaching it. This letter is Specific to British Embassy, Other have similar Versions."

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 1

I live in the South of Thailand. Asking me to go to BKK for this piece of paper is outrageous even if it is provided at no cost.

The total cost of obtaining this letter would exceed 3000bht flying Air Asia assuming the task could be completed in one day.

I live in the South of Thailand. Asking me to go to BKK for this piece of paper is outrageous even if it is provided at no cost.

The total cost of obtaining this letter would exceed 3000bht flying Air Asia assuming the task could be completed in one day.

I reattached letter, so posts like this would be unfounded...Thank you!

(Read post #88!)

Then take to your Local Consular's Office to be filled in in its entirety! No need to travel to Bangkok! If you persist on going... Buy me a case of Whiskey as I assure you IT won't be waisted!

Plus you should have a receipt that came with the return of Old Passport and your New One! 'Either this or the completed letter is all they are asking for....

(I don't understand the big fuss... for years Brit's have been able to bypass this requirement... No other person here from anyother Country in same circumstance complained. Now that they (Thai Imm.) have found this discrepency and are trying to Unify the whole process... We start getting Complaints....

I am not complaining, or Bitching... I'm just stating the Cold Hard Truth...! If it cost you more money to complete this task, because of their failure to complete theirs (or Lazyness! I might add...) I would attach a "Bill Due" with the amount and copies of your receipts (showing validity of your request) Your Embassy gets enough of these and they will get the picture! Quicker resubmit every month as long as not paid and attach a 3% Late Fee!!!

Edited by davidstipek