Permanent Residence Interview

I may have missed this information in previous threads, so apologies if that is the case. I am scheduled to attend Suan Plu Immigration next month for my interview for PR status. When I applied, I was told that my Thai would be tested. The officer said that the test would take the form of 10 multiple choice questions. I was wondering whether anyone knows the type of questions that are lilkely to be asked? Any information would be very much appreciated.

Bobcat

Bobcat,

I'm nowhere near having been here for three years yet (a year and a half next month) but I've also asked about the Permanent Residency and what it entails. As far as the test is concerned, some folks spoke of an oral examination consisting of light Thai conversation (Where are you from? What do you do in Thailand? etc) as well as a written test. This is largely dependent on who tests you and the mood of the examiner it seems...some folks don't have to do a written test and one man even said the examiner just read him the written portion (since he can't read Thai well) and he answered orally. Forty minutes...that seems to be the standard however I believe one person did it in about ten minutes so it's hard to pinpoint exactly what will happen. I wouldn't sweat over it; the questions shouldn't be any more technical than the above examples. Having all the necessary paperwork together will probably be more difficult than the actual test. Just about everyone who answered my Permanent Residency questions had varying experiences with the exam. Take it easy and good luck :o

The multiple choice bit is pretty much a joke. It is in Thai, but if you don't read Thai they will read the questions aloud for you. The questions are extremely simple for anyone who has lived here for any length of time (i.e., what colors are the Thai flag ("red, white, and blue")? what is the name of the current Prime Minister ("Taksin Shinawatra")? what is the reign title of the current King (answer: Rama IX), etc.)

In my case, one of the officer ladies outside went over the test with me to be sure I knew the answers before I went in to the supervisor's office to be tested! I got a ten out of ten and whipped it off within 5 mins. Nothing to worry about for most people.

The questions are extremely simple for anyone who has lived here for any length of time (i.e., what colors are the Thai flag ("red, white, and blue")? what is the name of the current Prime Minister ("Taksin Shinawatra")? what is the reign title of the current King (answer: Rama IX), etc.)
You don't by any chance remember the other 7 questions do you 

Hi there Bobcat,

I can remember a few more questions.

1.What's the population of Thailand?

You only need to say that it's over 60 million.

2.When is the King's birthday?

Dec.5

3.What religion do most Thais adhere to?

Buddhism.

I can't recall the others but they are on the same level as,"What color is an orange orange?" :o

I got video-taped two times where I had to talk about myself in Thai.

A decision can take long time.When the Interior Ministry is ready,it seems like all successful applicants congregate at Suan Phlu for a couple of days to receive the permits.

Snowleopard.