• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Homeless Ex-Supermodel Hospitalised For Mental Illness
By Khaosod Online

s3.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A former successful model has been admitted to hospital for mental treatment after she was found wandering around in Bangkok last week.

On 29 August, police responded to a complaint about individual causing public nuisance at a petrol station in Petchakasem Soi 50, Phasi Charoen Area. Once they arrived, they discovered Ms. Rojjana Phetkanha walking aimlessly on the street.

She acted calmly and did not cause any trouble at the time the police arrived according to police records. The police then warned Ms. Rojjana to behave.

Until the day later, police was reported about the matter again, and they arrived at the scene to find Ms. Rojjana, still in the same outfit, wandering about, looking bemused.

According to police, Ms. Rojjana kept switching from liquid inhaler and cigarettes when she talked to the police. She was also disoriented and sometimes forgot about her story.

Ms. Rojjana told police that she currently lived with her family in Ubon Ratchathani province, but ran away to Bangkok after some heated arguments sparked a few days ago. The police then took her to hospital where she is receiving treatment for her mental disorder.

It is an astonishing fall from grace for a person that had been a household name for millions of Thais. A farmer′s daughter in the impoverished region of northeastern Thailand, Ms. Rojjana rose to fame after she won the ′Elite Supermodel of Thailand′ contest in 1994.

The star later embarked on the career in modeling which took her to world’s leading fashion cities like Paris, Milan, New York and London.

s2.jpg

However, after 8 years under the spotlight, Ms. Rojjana’s contract with a French model agency ended abruptly because she suffered from substance abuse, and failed to keep up with her schedules.

She returned to Thailand in 2002 where she took up several jobs, but she also went through several rehabs for her chronic alcoholism and drug addiction. She had been off the radar for some years - until last week.

Today, Ms. Paveena Hongsakul, Minister of Social Development and Human Security (SDHS), visited the former model in Chaopraya Hospital.

She pledged support for Ms. Rojjana, and told our correspondent that the Ministry is contacting Ms. Rojjana′s family to look after the former celebrity.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09EQTBNalE0Tnc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-09-02

police responded to a complaint about individual causing public nuisance at a petrol station

they discovered Ms. Rojjana Phetkanha walking aimlessly on the street.

The police then warned Ms. Rojjana to behave.

Perhaps some of the catalyst for change would include educating the police to be able identify even fundamental mental illness symptomology.

As they are often the first to contact someone in need of assistance, they need to learn that it takes more than a "verbal warning to behave" to effectively deal with bipolar disorder.

Edited by johnnie20110
  • Like 1

In the Khaosod photo with the police, she still looks absolutely beautiful - a classical face. Good luck to the lady wai2.gif

Are you being funny?

In any case- tragic for the individual but she did chose her own path (of drug abuse).

Why is The Nation showing us a photo of her more than 10 years old?

The -Nation- does not want to shock us? rolleyes.gif

Seeing the up to date photo now with the police man, have to say, after 20 years -She was Elite Miss Model- she is still attractive!

"ExpatJ" Post a photo of your real GF or wife in her 40 is ! tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

We are all masters of our own destiny,the weak are weak.

Sure you one of the "strong" - "alpha" ones, good for you and keep walking over the "weak"

I think a good "example" of the 'strong" are the (Thai) high up politicians, on top the fugitive! whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 2

Tell that to all the brave men and women returning from war zones who gave their lives to their country and now are suffering a mental illness such as PTSD (nothing to be ashamed of) Go to them and tell them that they were weak.

During the First World War the British Army regarded shell shock as cowardice and at least 200 soldiers were executed by firing squad. It took the government until very recently to admit a serious wrong had been done and exonerated those executed. As if the trenches weren't a big enough waste of life.

No disrespect to this poor lady, I sincerely hope she gets treatment and can recover.

However if she wasn't famous would she have been visited by a cabinet minister who offered help if her family cannot afford to take care of her ? There are many families who are plagued by the curse of mental health problems and just have to get on with it.

Another bandwagon opportunity for an official to get publicity.

The situation presents an opportunity to show that help is available, thus helping to remove the stigma of mental illness.

In Thailand, there is a public 'ownership" of celebrities, and therefore a public interest in getting her assistance or at elast showing people care.

It is difficult for some foreigners to understand. People do care, albeit in their own Thai way.

• Like 1

So did anyone force the 20 dollar bill up her nose with a mound of coke or to drink her vast wealth away(50 million baht )? I stand by my comments that weak minded people are just that.To those with kids with debilatating disease etc this comment wasnt intended for you.Hard drugs do indeed screw up lives .Genetics and drug dependancy are 2 different subjects in my book

Why is The Nation showing us a photo of her more than 10 years old?

I don't think that is actually a pic of her, the woman in the photo is definitely not model material. Very plain and boyish looking.

Yes it is her

Lots of pictures here - https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&safe=off&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=920&q=Rojjana+%28Yui%29+Phetkanha&oq=Rojjana+%28Yui%29+Phetkanha&gs_l=img.3...4800.4800.0.8733.1.1.0.0.0.0.77.77.1.1.0....0...1ac.1.26.img..1.0.0.Sju1RQnE2tY

Do you know anything about Paveena? She helps underprivileged all the time, you won't see it as it is not high profile and it is the media that makes these high profile cases more public.

So a former supermodel is under privileged or is she now poor and penniless because she blew all her cash or drugs and partying ?

I'm not saying Paveena doesn't do go but I'm sure she doesn't mind the publicity either.

How did the media find out she went to hospital or in other words who told them and that would include members of her staff along with many others.

Paveena is a known publicity junky. She uses women's and children's rights for her own self aggrandizement.

• Like 1

Do you know anything about Paveena? She helps underprivileged all the time, you won't see it as it is not high profile and it is the media that makes these high profile cases more public.

So a former supermodel is under privileged or is she now poor and penniless because she blew all her cash or drugs and partying ?

I'm not saying Paveena doesn't do go but I'm sure she doesn't mind the publicity either.

How did the media find out she went to hospital or in other words who told them and that would include members of her staff along with many others.

Paveena is a known publicity junky. She uses women's and children's rights for her own self aggrandizement.

At least she is doing something, even if it "only" making the public aware, that these things are happening.

disagree: none of us are masters of our destiny

Disagree: there is no destiny but what we make.

There are now two total idiots on this thread.

I met Yui on a few occasions(when she was having some problems) and she is a wonderful human being. Get well soon.

• Like 2

I have a feeling this philosophical gem of a comment was made in the hope of generating lots of 'likes'. It seems you were unsuccessful. jerk.gif

It's a shame we are not at the stage where punishment could be meted out by installing people in the minds of others, even for a short time. Betting you would soil your pants if you were in hers for just 10 minutes.

Well, I don't think things can ever be so clear cut as some of may like, but I do believe we control our fate to a large extent. The article mentions she became a famous model who traveled and partied, and this is the result. Perhaps conjecture, but if true, all things under her control. I also kind of think it is condescending to assert that disabled people are somehow destined to a certain fate. Aren't most of us all disabled in some way relative to the strongest minds and athletes in the world? Yet, the world is what we make of it. Should we just roll over, and give up to our "fate" because we aren't as athletic, or as intelligent as the next guy?