Pay as you go Gym ?

ArNaSu

Are you allowed to just pay per visit at most gyms in Pattaya ? Typically all I see or hear about is annual membership. As a complete gym virgin I would rather try for a little while first before I committed to a years membership. Is that possible and how much per visit would that typically be.

Also another question, maybe a bit strange but what's the protocal in the gyms, do you just go in and jump on an excercise machine and go for it? Should you wipe it down after you've finished or do staff do that ?

Cheers

I'm a member @ the Zign hotel gym in Soi 12 Naklua, 300bht per visit, or join for 9000bht for 14 months, plenty of equpment, a/c, sauna, use of the 2 very nice hotel large pools, 2 towels & locker key provided on every visit.... Free liquid soap & shampoo in showers in changing rooms.

I think its fair to give the machine you've been using a quick wipe down when you've finished with it, although TH staff there do go round cleaning machines regularly.

I tried it paying the daily rate a few times before i joined, lot of Germans there, but they don't bother you.

Think its bit nicer than Tony's?!!

Edited by dickie58

Only places i've been to for the last 9-10 years is various tony's,

you can pay-as-you-go, or per month, i think per week too.

The only protocol i've seen executed is to displace all the dumbbells,

the management gives a passive support to this policy by not marking the dumbbells,

so its hard to read

Edited by poanoi

I'm a member @ the Zign hotel gym in Soi 12 Naklua, 300bht per visit, or join for 9000bht for 14 months, plenty of equpment, a/c, sauna, use of the 2 very nice hotel large pools, 2 towels & locker key provided on every visit.... Free liquid soap & shampoo in showers in changing rooms.

I think its fair to give the machine you've been using a quick wipe down when you've finished with it, although TH staff there do go round cleaning machines regularly.

I tried it paying the daily rate a few times before i joined, lot of Germans there, but they don't bother you.

Think its bit nicer than Tony's?!!

Do you know if they have a Cybex Arc Trainer there?

http://www.cybexintl.com/videogallery/?video=01000011

The only gyms I know with them cost over 30,000 baht per year. (Centara Grand, Royal Cliff).

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

the management gives a passive support to this policy by not marking the dumbbells,

so its hard to read

cheesy.gif

So true!

so its hard to read

did this displacement policy get rid of all the dumbbells?

No, they are typically in a slot meant for another set weight, and the very poor marking coupled with poor light makes it nigh impossible to find the set you actually want to use

I don't think they're even marked at the main gym. I select my DB's by counting the plates.

lol, yes, that was one reason i decided not to go there. I have been contemplating offer to mark the DB in the tent

There's no doubt, the DB section of all his gyms are pathetic. Apart from them being messy and unmarked, from 60 lb's up they graduate in 10 lb jumps... which makes it a 20 lb jump in total for 2 arms, which is far too much for gradual progression. A 20 lb jump is even more difficult on DB's than on a barbell due to stabilization issues.

Castra Gym has a decent DB rack... the only decent one I've seen in Pattaya.

Edited by tropo

In the tent, you got 75 lb as the last odd weight, from 80, next is 90, i'm sure i could have up to 85 before i got injured, but i never could make 90

I used that DB rack for quite a while (maybe we were training next to each other and didn't know it), and I don't remember a specific 75 lb DB. All the DB's are about 5 lbs more than marked because they don't take the weight of the bar into consideration... therefore, the 70 lb was in fact 75 lbs. I always added 5 lbs to the weight marked.

Edited by tropo