Tony Blair discusses reform with top Thai Democrats

webfact

Your opinion only jayboy.

Isn't that the point of a forum like this?

But it's interesting that even a paper that's usually slavishly pro Abhisit feels he screwed up.So while my criticisms are my own they are shared by others.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He He........Fantastic............something tells me a few people who paid for his time will not like this at all..............

Brilliant!!

Both Blair and the Thai government have confirmed he was not paid.I believe them.In any event his involvement was never a propaganda stunt for one side and his natural sympathy surely lie with the Democrats, especially the likes of Abhisit and Korn.

So these silly posts about paymasters being displeased about the British Embassy meeting with fellow Oxonians are complete stupidity.

I own a bridge over the River Thames, and it's for sale. PM me for details.

What colour?

Your opinion only jayboy.

Isn't that the point of a forum like this?

But it's interesting that even a paper that's usually slavishly pro Abhisit feels he screwed up.So while my criticisms are my own they are shared by others.

But even with the Nation you have to read between the lines. they are so busy trying to stay on the fence for fear of being sued, It is just as much likely to be the reporters view rather than the papers itself.

Their way of balancing the anti Thaksin / Government articles!

Edited by ggold

Nice little college reunion, that. All from St. John's College, Oxford at about the same time. Surprised they spent the time talking about political reform, rather than days of Pimms and croquet on the lawn.

Nah, both are Newcastle United fans - just chewing the fat about the desperate state their club is in. Sigh.......

Unsurprising that PTP supporters believe them when they protest somewhat too strongly that Blair is not being paid. Seems that the gullibility has even extended to Blair's spin doctors.

Based on the lack of truthfulness that both sides are well known for, I would say that the chances of money changing hands - not only for expenses - is quite high.

Blair's suggestions - if he really has any - will probably be ignored. A good thing too as he's just as divisive a bastard as the PM's brother.

• Like 1

He He........Fantastic............something tells me a few people who paid for his time will not like this at all..............

Brilliant!!

Both Blair and the Thai government have confirmed he was not paid.I believe them.In any event his involvement was never a propaganda stunt for one side and his natural sympathy surely lie with the Democrats, especially the likes of Abhisit and Korn.

So these silly posts about paymasters being displeased about the British Embassy meeting with fellow Oxonians are complete stupidity.

Pity - you blew any credibility your post may have had by admitting you believe the government.

Why do British tax payers have to provide lunch at the Ambassador's residence?

Blair is an ex Pm whose terms in office are not exactly covered in glory. Why should he receive more special treatment than any other British visitor.

British bullshit.

Edited by Baerboxer

<quote>Nobody denies Blair hasn't made millions since leaving politics but there's no evidence at all he was paid a fee for his Bangkok speech.I'm sure expenses were reimbursed as is normal. </quote>

At the very least, Blair's 1st class airfare was paid, as was his deluxe accommodation, lavish meals, and extras that we can only imagine. But more pertinent to the situation: The Shinawatres and their PT gov't shouldn't be hosting this show. As the Dems mentioned, it should have been hosted by a non-partisan organization. Unfortunately, non-partisanship doesn't exist in Thailand, so it would have been best to host it outside Thailand, but where? Probably not in one of the dozen small countries where Thaksin has made promises of making everyone prosperous and/or he owns a passport, such as Nicaragua, Liberia, Montenegro, (and possibly also HK, China, Uganda, Fiji, Tonga, Dubai, and.....?).

Wow jayboy is back with insults again and rabid hatred of Abhisit and the Dems.

I read the transcript of Tonys speech and did not see much in it other than being polite to his hosts and saying Thailand must sort its own problems.

The speeches of the other overseas guests were however a bit different, very diplomatic but critical of the way PT are going about things.

From what I read Tony asked for the meeting with the Dem leaders.

Could it be that he left the forum thinking he had only heard one side of the story and wondering what the real reason was that opposition parties had refused to attend?

Brilliant!!

That's interesting. So you are saying that the Democrats (like Labour) are the party of the people not the elite.

Politically they have little in common, but then Blair isn't a traditional labourite.

The dens dems in Thailand are more akin to the republicans or conservatives in the USA and UK.

Wow jayboy is back with insults again and rabid hatred of Abhisit and the Dems.

I read the transcript of Tonys speech and did not see much in it other than being polite to his hosts and saying Thailand must sort its own problems.

The speeches of the other overseas guests were however a bit different, very diplomatic but critical of the way PT are going about things.

From what I read Tony asked for the meeting with the Dem leaders.

Could it be that he left the forum thinking he had only heard one side of the story and wondering what the real reason was that opposition parties had refused to attend?

As to your last paragraph that is perfectly possible.He met both Abhisit and Korn at the Embassy on his last visit and I'm sure he was interested in obtaining a first hand briefing on their reservations.On their last meeting they got on very well ( they are all public school boys and graduates of St John's College Oxford).

As to your opening paragraph you should learn to distinguish between what you describe as rabid hatred and legitimate criticism.I have never seen a reasoned analysis from you and I suggest you work on this rather than looking for "insults".

• Like 1

When I saw a photo yesterday of Ms. Yingluck and Mr. Blair, I noticed Ms. Yingluck giving that little flirty simile that worked so well on Mr. Obama. Mr. Blair definitely looked uncomfortable. and in the DM (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408869/Tony-Blair-causes-Thailand-protests-accusations-paid-400k-talk.html) he again looks uncomfortable as though he realizes he is in a den of snakes and thieves. Contrast those pictures with the one in this article where he looks comfortable as if he were with his own kind. I agree that TB and GWB have a lot to answer for in their Iraq warmongering but even war criminals are uncomfortable around the Puea Thai government.

Yes, that figure was quoted on Thai news channel this AM. Plus his and his entourage's accomodation costs.

One has to laugh at this stupidity.The original Daily Mail article quoted local sources,now discredited.Now local sources are quoting the Daily Mail.

I read the transcript of Tonys speech

Great! Just what I'm looking for. A Thai friend has asked me to track down a video and a transcript of his speech. I can't find either on-line. The best I could find was a one minute YouTube video. Could you let us know where to find this transcript? Or, even better, post a copy of it here? And if you can share the video too that would be brilliant.

I read the transcript of Tonys speech

Great! Just what I'm looking for. A Thai friend has asked me to track down a video and a transcript of his speech. I can't find either on-line. The best I could find was a one minute YouTube video. Could you let us know where to find this transcript? Or, even better, post a copy of it here? And if you can share the video too that would be brilliant.

It's printed in full in today's edition of the other paper.

When I saw a photo yesterday of Ms. Yingluck and Mr. Blair, I noticed Ms. Yingluck giving that little flirty simile that worked so well on Mr. Obama. Mr. Blair definitely looked uncomfortable. and in the DM (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408869/Tony-Blair-causes-Thailand-protests-accusations-paid-400k-talk.html) he again looks uncomfortable as though he realizes he is in a den of snakes and thieves. Contrast those pictures with the one in this article where he looks comfortable as if he were with his own kind. I agree that TB and GWB have a lot to answer for in their Iraq warmongering but even war criminals are uncomfortable around the Puea Thai government.

To quote the joke Pan told in "Hook".

There are certain things that even rats won't do.

Edited by Mosha

It's printed in full in today's edition of the other paper.

Thank you. Having looked at my copy of the Thai Capital Stick newspaper I found the title of an article "Five political lessons for the path forward". Googling this gave me what I wanted. (It's only an excerpt, but it does the job.) Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant!!

Oh dear, I think Jayboy's feeling a bit flustered this morning, the man who is so quick to disparage others for lack of intelligence has made 2 grammatical errors in the above post.

First poster to correctly point them out wins a signed photo of Tony, Apisit and Korn enjoying themselves at the British Embassy.

Just noticed this comment.

I make spelling and grammatical mistakes from time to time like most of us.I don't however make the ignorant assumption (quite common among those who lack anaytical capability) that lack of grammatical or spelling accuracy has anything to do with intelligence one way or the other.

Brilliant!!

Oh dear, I think Jayboy's feeling a bit flustered this morning, the man who is so quick to disparage others for lack of intelligence has made 2 grammatical errors in the above post.

First poster to correctly point them out wins a signed photo of Tony, Apisit and Korn enjoying themselves at the British Embassy.

I make spelling and grammatical mistakes from time to time like most of us.I don't however make the ignorant assumption (quite common among those who lack anaytical capability) that lack of grammatical or spelling accuracy has anything to do with intelligence one way or the other.

Don't worry Jayboy, it's just amusing to see someone who's so quick to criticize other people's education and knowledge make basic errors himself.

Presumably the same thing happened last night- anaytical capability- perhaps at that time, 8.45, it was just a question of one too many!

Brilliant!!

Don't worry Jayboy, it's just amusing to see someone who's so quick to criticize other people's education and knowledge make basic errors himself.

Presumably the same thing happened last night- anaytical capability-  perhaps at that time, 8.45, it was just a question of one too many!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That could well be the issue I concede.Still well done for avoiding the issue of confusing intelligence with education