X1 versus C-class

corkman

Hi All,

Well thank you all for your very informative replies to by "camry hybrid versus fortuner" thread. You all gave me food for thought, and opened my mind to other possibilities. As it turns out, the range topping Camry (that I was in the market for) is 1.85MB. For and extra 200-300k (10-15%) I could get the BMW X1 1.8i sport or Merc C200 (current promotion with AMG body kit).

Notwithstanding the external looks (I prefer the merc, Mrs. likes the BMW), please could I hear your thoughts on these two?

- Comfort

- Practicality

- Space

- Performance (both grunt and fuel economy)

- Reliability and customer support network / service.

I would appreciate your opinions, and please feel free to compare it against the Camry Hyrbid, or my current Fortuner (2WD 3.0 D4D - 2-3 years old).

Thanks in advance.

Hyundai Sonata Sports, looks so much better and fully kitted out for less money.........

If only the new Mazda 6 was here......

The new Volvo S40 hatchback turbo, far far less money, I like the V50 Estate Turbo also far less, even the New S60 Turbo same price as Camry looks far better,

Toyota are ugly and as common as muck, and a under powered base models BMW or Benz are not be for me. and no way would I pay 3 + million for a decent spec one.

This is me, it is up to others what they like and are willing to pay.. I did buy new once here, now prefer 2nd hand Luxury

There are so many options in that category of around 2m.

The mentioned Skoda Superb is definitely the biggest car here and might I say has the Best quality interior (in my opinion nicer than the Merc). It has a good 1.8l turbo engine which is tested and has won many awards. Huge interior, if space is what you are looking for. If you are in Bangkok, service should be ok. Resale of course an issue.

The other one I really like is the Volvo V40, coming out this month I heard, with 213hp, small-medium hatch back.

Or at 2.05m you can have a brand new VW Golf GTI from VW Thailand now. I have one and it is a blast.

I personally think both of your choices are a little underpowered....

If you can move up to the BMW 320i, it has a better engine, or even better the 320D.

Again, if you are in Bangkok, one stylish car is the Citroen DS4, very funky looking and in Bangkok service should be ok, resale again an issue.

It all depends were your priorities lie: space, resale, performance? There is unfortunately not one car which ticks all the top boxes....

Or if you can check with Volvo if they have a slightly used 2 year old S80, they sell for around half of their new value now, just above 1m Baht. If still 2-3 years on the BSI warranty left, should be quite safe. Their your half luxury, decent performance, safety and space and as the value has already taken a hit....your depreciation will not be that big.

My 2cents....cheers

• Like 1

Or if you can check with Volvo if they have a slightly used 2 year old S80, they sell for around half of their new value now, just above 1m Baht. If still 2-3 years on the BSI warranty left, should be quite safe. Their your half luxury, decent performance, safety and space and as the value has already taken a hit....your depreciation will not be that big.

My 2cents....cheers

That's is a very good deal, if I was shopping for a sedan, I think I would go that way.

Then you can really blend in among the hi-so Thaiswink.png

My 2cents....cheers

That's is a very good deal, if I was shopping for a sedan, I think I would go that way.

Then you can really blend in among the hi-so Thaiswink.png

The V60 is a pretty good looking estate new 2.3,million or a 1 year old for 1.5 million, looks a good buy ?

Audi Q7,a non clonker diesel.Simply the Best. Makes BMW sound like Dumper Trucks.thumbsup.gif

Yes is good but little change out of 7 million baht, is not something that goes in this group

Well, erm , perhaps its not that good afterall.,im shocked at that price.crazy.gif

The Q7 and X5 are more the same size and class, and the Audi just undercuts the price of the BMW...

The Q5 and X3 are more the same size and class

The X1 is the baby + entry level 4x4

I'm a bit surprised people thinking these cars are underpowered; admittedly the x1 isn't too brisk but on paper it's a good deal quicker than my fortuner, and the merc cracks 1-100 in less than 8 seconds. It's no racer for sure but more than capable of outpacing the majority of toyotas and Hondas you'll encounter on the roads and I personally don't have a need to go quicker than that.

Comfort - again I am surprised the negativity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the merc or x1, but surely they are considerably more comfortable than the offerings from Toyota and Honda?

Sure, I'd rather an E300 or 5.30, but who wouldn't. Basically what I am asking here is, is the merc or Beamer worth 0.5mb more than a Toyota?

My old man has an X 1 back home, stock standard under the hood but paid a bit extra for the wood trim.

He's been a BMW fanboy since I can remember and has gone through most models including several M series.

I drove it - the X 1 - for the first time back in June when I visited, and I must say it drives beautifully. It's pretty good on the fuel, driving all over wine country in South Australia over the week we refueled once. Clocked over 1000kms that trip.

I'd be looking to get one here when I dispose of the Prius, which despite all the shit you get from your mates for driving a pansy enviro car, the extra thousands of baht saved can't be knocked.

Well I am disappointed! As a train buff for the last 50 years I though finally we are going to talk about something I love. But sadly not! sad.png

If you want kick azz horsepower and some real class....X and C that is, these babies do it big time!

post-63954-0-82819500-1378475042_thumb.j post-63954-0-70097200-1378475088_thumb.j

To have a similar spec and engine to the toyota its alot more than 500k difference try nearer 1 mil.

The Audi's they have in Thailand are also poor for the money 164K euro for a 3.0 Q7 thats without extras..... I ended up buying a truck in Thailand (yesterday) after considering many 4x4's and cars, top of the range with cow, electric seat yep not seats, sat nav, and tuning chip to make it more exciting when i need it.

Happy to have my powerful Autobahn slag with luxuries here in Germany where i can go as fast as i please.

My old man has an X 1 back home, stock standard under the hood but paid a bit extra for the wood trim.

He's been a BMW fanboy since I can remember and has gone through most models including several M series.

I drove it - the X 1 - for the first time back in June when I visited, and I must say it drives beautifully. It's pretty good on the fuel, driving all over wine country in South Australia over the week we refueled once. Clocked over 1000kms that trip.

I'd be looking to get one here when I dispose of the Prius, which despite all the shit you get from your mates for driving a pansy enviro car, the extra thousands of baht saved can't be knocked.

Thousands of Bht Saved.?. HOW.?.coffee1.gif

Thousands of Bht Saved.?. HOW.?.coffee1.gif

Apologies for not making it clearer... Fuel savings...

• Like 1

Consumption wise the Fortuner fares much better. Ours uses 9.4 ltrs per 100km. X1 is indicated at 12 .

0-100 X1 (1.8) is indicated with 10.4 sec. Fortuner is about the same. Max speed, the X1 has an edge with 200kmh.

X1 is by far more beautiful and better equipped.

I still stick with my Fortuner, as we need 6to7 seats at times. Also 600k more is significant.

Who knows what the insurance and road tax will be and how much simple spares are. I am sure BMW is much more.

If Money is of less concern, check Volvo xc90.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I saw the Skoda Superb at Mega Bangna last week...very impressed with the build quality. Expensive in comparison with Europe, but so are most cars.

Agree the Skoda Superb is beautiful inside and out and comes fully kitted out and put together in a European factory. The Thai importer, DAB, also offers 5 year basic maintenance. Outside of bangkok, they told me if car broke down, they would pay to send a tow to bring it back to BKK for repairs.

I love the Skoda and Yeti and am tempted to buy one or the other. Resale is not important to me as I keep my cars for 10-15 years.

I would go for the Merc C200 or the BMW 320. Between the two I'd go for the 3 series on the grounds of better handling and a more youthful non chinky thai image plus its got 8 gears rather than seven if that floats your boat.

What's a "chinky thai" image exactly? You might want to review the forum rules on posting...especially those regarding ethnic and racial slurs.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

The X1 18i doesn´t make any sense if you want some "Fahrspass". It´s consumption is much to high for the performance (poor). The only way to enjoy the X1 is the 2.0 Diesel engine. Great performance, very frugal, great mpg. And the turbos of the Merc and the X1 Diesel are very responsive to throttle while a Camry feels more sluggish. Maybe thats not true for the Hybrid Camry, but i didn´t drive that one yet, only the 2.4 Camry.

I would consider to buy the Merc if you want a new car or go for a used/dealer car from BMW and take the X1/320d. A 2011/12 model should be around 2 mil. Baht. Most of the cars have a very low mileage and still 3 of their 5 years maintaninance/warranty package left. So there is no need to worry about missed oil services or worn brakes. And if something goes wrong it´s covered. If i´m not mistaken the Merc comes with only 2 years warranty when bought new? The 20d X1 is also a higher spec than the 18i, the 20d comes with Idrive Navigation and HiFi sound. The 320d is even available as an Msport model which also includes great sport seats and an exteriour package.

Btw, if you go for BMW in Bangkok, avoid Millenium Rama 4. They ruined my leather seat, my interior trim and lack of service. I´m very happy with Millenium Rama 3 though. Many other customers had issues with Rama4 also. My wife checked that for me on various Thai blogs 1zgarz5.gif

I would go for the Merc C200 or the BMW 320. Between the two I'd go for the 3 series on the grounds of better handling and a more youthful non chinky thai image plus its got 8 gears rather than seven if that floats your boat.

What's a "chinky thai" image exactly? You might want to review the forum rules on posting...especially those regarding ethnic and racial slurs.

And You Sir should leave that to the Mods.

• Like 2

I saw somewhere on the bmw catalogue "5 year warranty and maintenance".

Is that BS or is it a real all inclusive package for care free driving?

It covers the service work, oil+filter, brake discs, brake pads, fluids, micro filter, and other minor service work for the first 5 years. And it includes 5 year warranty too for major defects. A fair deal i´d say. You can also extend it to 6 years and 120k km for about 50k Baht.

When i still had my 320d here i got an oil service and a full set of new brakes (front and rear including discs and pads) for "free".

The rear brakes were worn out indeed and the front brakes were changed cause i had a squeeking noise. Front had about 15-20k km left accoring to the cars computer. So they are not stingy with the service under the BSi program, i was very pleased.

BSi i a real plus for BMW owners, if you don´t keep your cars for much longer than 6 years you seem to be without a high risk of expensive repairs.

Edited by I knew this would happen

And You Sir should leave that to the Mods.

I have...and maybe you could answer my question.

Euro prices would be great, but that doens´t seem to happen someday soon. But you have to consider that except the bloody pick up trucks, cars are overpriced in thailand anyway. Almost none of the cars here is worth the money, you get low safety specs, engines and transmission 3 generations behind euro and us specs but you pay the full price or more. Only Ford seems to be better in that case. Focus is nearly up to date, just the ecoboost engines are missing. And at least the resale price of import cars is also higher than in other countries so it is getting a litte even again.

The only choice we have is to like what we get or bring the big cash for some extravagance. Too bad i´m a petrol head, even Thailand couldn´t cure me from that sickness (yet)

Edited by I knew this would happen

Euro prices would be great, but that doens´t seem to happen someday soon. But you have to consider that except the bloody pick up trucks, cars are overpriced in thailand anyway. Almost none of the cars here is worth the money, you get low safety specs, engines and transmission 3 generations behind euro and us specs but you pay the full price or more. Only Ford seems to be better in that case. Focus is nearly up to date, just the ecoboost engines are missing. And at least the resale price of import cars is also higher than in other countries so it is getting a litte even again.

The only choice we have is to like what we get or bring the big cash for some extravagance. Too bad i´m a petrol head, even Thailand couldn´t cure me from that sickness (yet)

Is this really true? At least for cars assembled in Thailand, prices are no more than 15-20% more than stateside and are often as up to date as there too (though the specs may be lower). The new Honda Accord is an example.

As you say, resale values on popular models hold up very well too if that's a concern. My main beef is the lack of a full range of model lineups from the various manufacturers.