X1 versus C-class

corkman

Euro prices would be great, but that doesn´t seem to happen someday soon. But you have to consider that except the bloody pick up trucks, cars are overpriced in thailand anyway. Almost none of the cars here is worth the money, you get low safety specs, engines and transmission 3 generations behind euro and us specs but you pay the full price or more. Only Ford seems to be better in that case. Focus is nearly up to date, just the ecoboost engines are missing. And at least the resale price of import cars is also higher than in other countries so it is getting a litte even again.

The only choice we have is to like what we get or bring the big cash for some extravagance. Too bad i´m a petrol head, even Thailand couldn´t cure me from that sickness (yet)

Is this really true? At least for cars assembled in Thailand, prices are no more than 15-20% more than stateside and are often as up to date as there too (though the specs may be lower). The new Honda Accord is an example.

As you say, resale values on popular models hold up very well too if that's a concern. My main beef is the lack of a full range of model lineups from the various manufacturers.

Euro prices would be great, but that doesn´t seem to happen someday soon. But you have to consider that except the bloody pick up trucks, cars are overpriced in thailand anyway. Almost none of the cars here is worth the money, you get low safety specs, engines and transmission 3 generations behind euro and us specs but you pay the full price or more. Only Ford seems to be better in that case. Focus is nearly up to date, just the ecoboost engines are missing. And at least the resale price of import cars is also higher than in other countries so it is getting a litte even again.

The only choice we have is to like what we get or bring the big cash for some extravagance. Too bad i´m a petrol head, even Thailand couldn´t cure me from that sickness (yet)

Is this really true? At least for cars assembled in Thailand, prices are no more than 15-20% more than stateside and are often as up to date as there too (though the specs may be lower). The new Honda Accord is an example.

As you say, resale values on popular models hold up very well too if that's a concern. My main beef is the lack of a full range of model lineups from the various manufacturers.

no more than 15-20%?

a base 2.4L Accord costs about $23k(730k baht) in the US. a similarly equipped 2.4L in Thailand costs 1.55million baht.

even a loaded 3.5L V6 Accord only costs around 970k baht in the US.

The top Camry in Thailand is $58K, with a 2.5L I4

The top Camry in the US is $30K, with a 3.6L V6

Assuming you get a 10% discount from list in the US, that makes the top Camry 115% more in Thailand. You should get a Job with the Fed.

$58K in the US will get you a Lexus GS450H (with a V6), a 5-series BMW, or an E-class Mercedes.

Or if you can check with Volvo if they have a slightly used 2 year old S80, they sell for around half of their new value now, just above 1m Baht. If still 2-3 years on the BSI warranty left, should be quite safe. Their your half luxury, decent performance, safety and space and as the value has already taken a hit....your depreciation will not be that big.

My 2cents....cheers

That's is a very good deal, if I was shopping for a sedan, I think I would go that way.

Then you can really blend in among the hi-so Thaiswink.png

The V60 is a pretty good looking estate new 2.3,million or a 1 year old for 1.5 million, looks a good buy ?

We've got a V60. 0.8mb depreciation in one year. xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.kh9vLpJQkU.png

My old man has an X 1 back home, stock standard under the hood but paid a bit extra for the wood trim.

He's been a BMW fanboy since I can remember and has gone through most models including several M series.

I drove it - the X 1 - for the first time back in June when I visited, and I must say it drives beautifully. It's pretty good on the fuel, driving all over wine country in South Australia over the week we refueled once. Clocked over 1000kms that trip.

I'd be looking to get one here when I dispose of the Prius, which despite all the shit you get from your mates for driving a pansy enviro car, the extra thousands of baht saved can't be knocked.

High way driving is not the same as driving in the city.

Ive owned my fair share of V8s and the fuel economy on the highways is awesome.

In Thailand you want a diesel truck/suv or a small 4 banger with CNG or LPG.

Hybrids are overrated two engine cars.. If you want to go green import a Tesla.

I like BMW, just got rid of an M5, but not keen on the local X1.

It's a 1,995cc engine that they have managed to detune from 181hp (outside of Thailand) to 150hp. That is not much for a 1,530kg truck.

The C200 has a 1,796cc engine with 184hp which is same as the models made in Germany for the base model, 204hp for the AMG model. This is for a 1,505kg car.

Still no guts if that is what you are after.

I know the BMW dealer does kit out with extras the local vehicles better than the Merc dealer, and seems more user friendly from recent experience. If you want a test drive, BMW will come to you if in Bangkok or Pattaya. Merc will not.

• Like 1

No guts? The Benz C200 is superchareged and has 270nm of tourque from 1800-4800rpm, feels just like a diesel and the power even lasts a little longer in the higher revs. Top speed is also not bad, 146mph. 0-60 under 8 sec, that should be enough to smoke 98% of the competitors on thai roads. I really miss my Z4 35is turbo inline six sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

The X1 with the thai petrol enigine is really gutless though, 200nm at 3600 rpm and more than 10 sec to 60? It can move by itself, thats all it can do. The X1 diesel 184hp is another world comapred to this. 380nm from 1750-2900rpm 0-60 7,9. Great fro city driving and overtaking, love that engine. I had it in a 3 series in BKK. Had an mpg of 30 in heavy BKK city traffic, 40+ is possible if you´re outside the city. The 2500ccm inline six i´m driving right now reaches only very poor 18 mpg in the same conditions with more expensive fuel too.

Having "real" engines is a big (tax) problem in thailand. The tax is on the displacementand and/or horsepower. Even now that BMW for example has 2.0l turbocharged petrol engines they you cannot escape the tax because they will catch you with the 220hp rule then.

I would go for the Merc with AMG package, looks great, drives good and isn´t a wannabe car i´d say. And with the AMG package it may be mistaken for a higher or import spec. and not the poor man`s merc. thumbsup.gif

Lexus unveil a compact SUV to rival BMW X1, Audi Q3, re picture I posted yesterday......

Today this is running in the paper we cannot mention and it to rival the BMW X3 and Range Rover Evoque .....

Why in Thailand will it rival a X3 ? but the rest of the world the X1 ? or is it/will it be the price rival ?

No guts? The Benz C200 is superchareged and has 270nm of tourque from 1800-4800rpm, feels just like a diesel and the power even lasts a little longer in the higher revs. Top speed is also not bad, 146mph. 0-60 under 8 sec, that should be enough to smoke 98% of the competitors on thai roads. I really miss my Z4 35is turbo inline six sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

The X1 with the thai petrol enigine is really gutless though, 200nm at 3600 rpm and more than 10 sec to 60? It can move by itself, thats all it can do. The X1 diesel 184hp is another world comapred to this. 380nm from 1750-2900rpm 0-60 7,9. Great fro city driving and overtaking, love that engine. I had it in a 3 series in BKK. Had an mpg of 30 in heavy BKK city traffic, 40+ is possible if you´re outside the city. The 2500ccm inline six i´m driving right now reaches only very poor 18 mpg in the same conditions with more expensive fuel too.

Having "real" engines is a big (tax) problem in thailand. The tax is on the displacementand and/or horsepower. Even now that BMW for example has 2.0l turbocharged petrol engines they you cannot escape the tax because they will catch you with the 220hp rule then.

I would go for the Merc with AMG package, looks great, drives good and isn´t a wannabe car i´d say. And with the AMG package it may be mistaken for a higher or import spec. and not the poor man`s merc. thumbsup.gif

Funny thing to Say.It isnt a Wannabe Car,yet You seem impressed that it could be mistaken for one. Like a Tuna V Range Rover owners.. E Class gets one out of Wannabe Class,nothing else.cheesy.gif

Yes, you got me biggrin.png Maybe i should recheck my posts better. For myself i think no car around 2 million is "wannabe" and they are all nice rides.

I wrote this because in a nearly similar topic on another forum, everyone was bashing the X, C, Camry as cheap wannabe cars. But the topic also focused a lot more on the value for the paid money. And in LOS it´s a lot more than anywhere else for the same car. I hope you can understand what i´m trying to express, somehow lol

For myself, i like a car if it touches my senses, no matter how cheap or expensive it is. I also had some Alfa Romeos when i was younger, i had to go through a lot of bashing that time. But i liked them for what they were, bella machinas.

I know what You say is true,but i've never got anymore attention in my Company C Classes over the last few years ,than i get from a Camry,or Wifes Accord.Only 2 Door Sporty Benzes get a second glance. Ive also noticed Black Cars in generall never get a double take,like Silver/Blue.or White Metallic .coffee1.gif

Euro prices would be great, but that doens´t seem to happen someday soon. But you have to consider that except the bloody pick up trucks, cars are overpriced in thailand anyway. Almost none of the cars here is worth the money, you get low safety specs, engines and transmission 3 generations behind euro and us specs but you pay the full price or more. Only Ford seems to be better in that case. Focus is nearly up to date, just the ecoboost engines are missing. And at least the resale price of import cars is also higher than in other countries so it is getting a litte even again.

you are enjoying the super dirt cheap car price in farangland. you are blessed. To me, cars in Thailand are cheap, Come to Singapore, you will be surprise, a nissan march cost 2.5 million baht ( sg $100.000)

Euro prices would be great, but that doens´t seem to happen someday soon. But you have to consider that except the bloody pick up trucks, cars are overpriced in thailand anyway. Almost none of the cars here is worth the money, you get low safety specs, engines and transmission 3 generations behind euro and us specs but you pay the full price or more. Only Ford seems to be better in that case. Focus is nearly up to date, just the ecoboost engines are missing. And at least the resale price of import cars is also higher than in other countries so it is getting a litte even again.

Sat in the Ford Car range yesterday,whats up with the New Car Smell.? Even the Leather Chair Models could use a Pig as an Air Freshner.. Then walked on to Proton and they had the New Car Smell,coffee1.gif

• Like 1

you are enjoying the super dirt cheap car price in farangland. you are blessed. To me, cars in Thailand are cheap, Come to Singapore, you will be surprise, a nissan march cost 2.5 million baht ( sg $100.000)

2,5 for a March, thats a brand new 320i in Thailand, HOLY COW!!! shock1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Q3XOm0fuQs.png So we´re cheapos here.

But in SG you can enjoy a nearly perfect public transport. In BKK thats still a disaster, 20-30 years behind SG. I can understand that in SG they try to avoid too many cars on the roads and tax them like crazy. Look what happend to BKK, i´m stuck in traffic everywhere all the time. And the pollution is extrememly high, not a nice place to be sometimes. I enjoy driving to the beaches though and avoid the worst traffic if i can. So a car can still bring some fun here.

In SG i might consider not to have a car at all, 80.000 USD for an eco car is just out of this world. So maybe Thailand couldn´t cure me from being a petrol head, but SG could do instantly! Maybe if you´re used to the prices you may think differently, but that´s crazy if you´re from the EU or US.

So X1 or C class now?