Why Is The Food So Very Good In Thailand?

OldChinaHam

One thing puzzles me.

I have been eating in several countries in Asia for many years, about 40.

And, I do know what it is like to live on the local fare.

I never eat foreign food in Thailand, or Taiwan, or Japan.

I never eat non-Chinese food in HK.

Sometimes I will eat Indian food in HK, but I do not regard that as foreign food because there are so many Indians living in the Mansion, or used to live there.

I have had Vindaloo in BKK, but that was not foreign either. Vindaloo is not native to India, really.

So, it really is true that out of all these places, the best food you can find is Thai food.

Why is that?

I could eat Thai food for the rest of my life and never feel the hankering to eat anything else.

Why do we all love Thai food so much.

And why does it taste so good.

And why is it so varied in its flavors that you actually could live the rest of your life on Thai food and still never feel deprived.

WHY I SAY!

Why?

(very happy to be in Thailand)

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 2

used to get hankerings for baked beans before tops stocked the malaysian brand. sometimes for rolled oats too. potato chips still an absolute necessity but 7 has tastos so no problem there. tinned tuna fish is a farang copy too. moo burgers. ham&cheese toasties, all theses farang food compliment my thai street food and would be sorely missed if not available. milk, and coffee occasionally to. but yes thai food is good after you find a farang friendly place to buy it.

I think Chinese food when you consider the regional variations is quite a bit more varied and interesting than Thai food ...

Yes, it IS more varied with more diverse regions. And if you mean interesting as in "live in interesting times", then sometimes Chinese food can be very interesting.

But if I had to choose a cuisine to live on for the rest of my life without possibility to change, then it must be Thai food.]

I could even live off what I find in just one small beanerie 3 minutes walk from my house, it is that good.

Part of the reason is that the Thai food preparation I find in Thailand seems to be consistently better than what I have ever found in China.

You can find a lot of glop in China if you eat there every day.

If I were able to eat at the very finest restaurants in China every day, then maybe I might choose Chinese food.

If I did, then Thai food at a cheap beanerie like the one in my neighborhood would come in a close second.

I guess I just enjoy what they call JiaChangCai, 'everyday food' or 'more common food', rather than Chinese banquet food, most of which I detest.

Thai and Chinese cuisines for me are still first and second, or second and first, or first and second......

So I am happy as a clam in the sand in either of these countries.

attachicon.gif1378416081018.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Cough, cough.

thiparos.jpg

more this oneprik-nam-pla4-1.jpg?w=500&h=375

More, morewub.png

5fried-garlic.jpg

Sorry, but what is that?

I have not seen it,

But I want some,

So how do I ask for it?

There is another type of chili condiment which is very dark brown, and is made by taking dried chili peppers and slowly heating them in oil until the mixture is dark brown and the capsaicin has infused the oil and vice versa. This is a table condiment you can put in fried noodles or in thick noodle soup.

I used to enjoy it all the time, but I have only seen it once in a Thai restaurant.

Usually very spicy, depending on the heat of the dried chili used to make it.

Edited by OldChinaHam

So, it really is true that out of all these places, the best food you can find is Thai food.

Why is that?

I could eat Thai food for the rest of my life and never feel the hankering to eat anything else.

Why do we all love Thai food so much.

And why does it taste so good.

And why is it so varied in its flavors that you actually could live the rest of your life on Thai food and still never feel deprived.

I don't know if it's the 'best food you can find' but it is good and cheap and fast and available everywhere which is nice.

I could not live off just Thai food for the rest of my life and don't live just off Thai food now either.

I was here 2 years ago for an extended period of time and I was eating Thai food 3 times a day to the point I became sick of the sight, smell and look of it. Especially anything with coconut milk in it. Ugh.

Even now I can't stand the smell and taste of coconut milk actually.

Eating rice and noodles for every meal doesn't do it for me either.

Now I am back I like to eat a sandwich or baguette for lunch or a salad (salad bar at Tops is good) with some cold meat or grilled chicken / pork then eat Thai food for dinner.

Sometimes I'll go to a chain restaurant, pub or fast food place for dinner instead as not in the mood of Thai.

So it's good but it can get very samey with the rice and noodles and usually chicken or pork.

I like it when a place has beef, duck venison or ostrich on the menu (the last 2 are not common but can find them in enough places in BKK) so I can have a change. I don't eat seafood or fish so that limits me usually.

Saying that if I go a few days without eating Thai I start craving pad ka pow.

Edited by TheSpade

I enjoyed my lunches more in Taiwan than in Bangkok.

In fact, I've just developed a bit of a craving for some Taiwan lunches...

SC

Me too!

In general bkk food over priced and generally average.

And getting very tired of being dragged around because some MSG lover says the most famous chicken rice can be had in this place or you have to go here for the most "famous" tom yum.

Be warned the only thing famous about any of these places are the queues of people all trying to be there because its the most "famous".

The food at the "so famous" places is generaly below average. Maybe its just the 2 hour wait just to get a table that pee's me off the most.

Looking on the plus side at least I get too "check in" on facebook at the resturant and take pictures of my lovely msg laced food (even if it tastes like shit) and the big bonus is I can photograph my 15000 thb meat receipt with my credit card!

Then people will really think im something. Right??????? Just have to try and hide my 100 thb shirt I brought from Chatuchak market thats all........

How too explain the life of lemmings to your thai gf???

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I enjoyed my lunches more in Taiwan than in Bangkok.

In fact, I've just developed a bit of a craving for some Taiwan lunches...

SC

I miss nothing about Taiwan lunches, and glad I do not need to eat them now.

Probably the food is the worst thing about Taiwan, other than the motorbikes.

The food in Taiwan is over priced, and poorly prepared, and poorly served, and poorly cooked by pisspoor chefs.

What lunch food in Taiwan did you like, for example name only one?

You have niu rou mian (beef noodles)

Then you have niu rou mian, and niu rou mian.

Sure if you go to a SiChuan restaurant you can get half decent food.

But all the good cooks brought over from SiChuan with the KMT army are now dead.

What is left is the dregs of the dregs.

So I am curious to know what kind of a lunch in Taiwan is good.

You might find something at the Lai Lai in terms of a buffet or something.

But again, overpriced.

You could get one of those Jian Bings, the Taiwan style hamburgers.

The history of Taiwan is that you had the Japanese there from 1895 to 1945, and the Japanese did not teach the Taiwanese how to cook proper Chinese food.

Then you had some good cooks come in from SiChuan and BeiJing with the army.

Now they are long since dead and in urns.

So what is left?

Nada, Zip, LingDan.

Just my humble opinion, so what is the lunch you find edible in Taiwan?

There was a niu rou mien shop that sold excellent beef noodle soup. A fried noodle shop that sold excellent fried noodles, and a fair four-treasures soup. There was a - forget the name of it now - place that sold noodles and bean curd - it became a Korean restaurant later, and it was less universally liked, but OK - ah - and I remember the good thing about the noodles and bean curd place was the fried dumplings; then there was the boiled dumplings place. Then there was a couple of good Chinese restaurants. and the food court at Taipei 101 was as good as anything I've been to in Thailand, though I can't remember what I used to eat there, if not the Japanese place that sold beer. Probably the best tepanyaki that I've had, as well, and good value sushi.

I suppose our office was in a better location, though

SC

• Like 1

There was a niu rou mien shop that sold excellent beef noodle soup. A fried noodle shop that sold excellent fried noodles, and a fair four-treasures soup. There was a - forget the name of it now - place that sold noodles and bean curd - it became a Korean restaurant later, and it was less universally liked, but OK - ah - and I remember the good thing about the noodles and bean curd place was the fried dumplings; then there was the boiled dumplings place. Then there was a couple of good Chinese restaurants. and the food court at Taipei 101 was as good as anything I've been to in Thailand, though I can't remember what I used to eat there, if not the Japanese place that sold beer. Probably the best tepanyaki that I've had, as well, and good value sushi.

I suppose our office was in a better location, though

SC

OK,

1 bowl of niu rou mien is about 160NTD = 160 Baht (what a ridiculous price for basically soup glop. It is true that the niu rou mian that was cooked 30 years ago was worth the 40 NTD they charged for it. But I would not give you 10 Baht for what they dish up now.)

The tepanyaki I must say is not bad. This is good in fact, especially with a dozen very very cold Asahi large glass bottles of beer. Sure, i could drink about 12 bottles with my meal at the tepanyaki restaurant. In fact, it was the beer that made all food in Taiwan edible, in the end. But again, the tebanyaki is way overpriced and I used to pay about 1600NTD for my meal, with the required Asahi.

Taipei 102 food court I have never been into, knowing everything there is overpriced. I have been to Cartier once or twice in that building which charges less than the food for a diamond stud.

Please keep in mind that during the summer months, you need to sit on uncomfortable tiny wooden stools in rooms where the aircon is totally screwed up and does not dehumidify a bit. Then they got these rotating fans which push the cold and steamy air all around so your sweat soaked shirt is clammy on one side and ice water on the other side, and the reverse the next moment. A true disaster of a meal. The pollution and noise from the motorbikes is enough to kill your hope for a decent meal, if you can stand to stay long enough.

I am always happy to get out of that city, one of the most unlivable in Asia.

It is the people that I miss

Just too many of them though, at 650 per square kilometer.

Now being in Thailand, I truly feel like I am, comparatively, in heaven.

Just being able to enjoy a quiet meal in peace in the open air restaurants of Chiang Mai is like: Can things ever be much finer than this??? I doubt it.

Don't worry people, I ain't lying or exaggerating a bit here. It only might sound like it.

(Did I mention that the Taiwanese emigration percentage from Taiwan is the highest in Asia, or very close to it. Even the Taiwanese can't stand the food, I guess.)

(The emigration rate out of Taiwan is actually about 5 percent, when I last checked, about 10 years ago. And this does not only include those moving to China.)

Edited by OldChinaHam

I would say the food quality in Taipei was better than Bangkok, and the price about 10 - 20% higher.

I do quite like Fuji and 8-chiban or whatever it;s called, though.

I think Kuala Lumpur has the best Indian food I've had anywhere. Certainly the best value.Mumbai would rate below Taiwan for Indian food, though the place in Taiwan has since changed hands and is not so good. The Western food in Taiwan was pretty good.

I found Taipei quite a liveable city, though that was probably peculiar to the time, and my wife certainly found it a bit difficult.

SC

• Like 1

I would say the food quality in Taipei was better than Bangkok, and the price about 10 - 20% higher.

I think Kuala Lumpur has the best Indian food I've had anywhere. Certainly the best value.Mumbai would rate below Taiwan for Indian food, though the place in Taiwan has since changed hands and is not so good. The Western food in Taiwan was pretty good.

I found Taipei quite a liveable city, though that was probably peculiar to the time, and my wife certainly found it a bit difficult.

SC

As you say, if you are talking about a time pre-2000, then I think I might begin to agree with thee, on some points.

Actually, I think I may be feeling similar effects to that of a reformed cigarette smoker.

I have just left Taiwan after many years, and finally see here in Thailand, all the things I have been missing.

There other point is that you keep comparing Taiwan to BKK.

But I am comparing Taiwan to ChiangMai,

A whole different kettle of fish. (Even fish they do not have in Taipei, to speak of. It is all overpriced now. And much is imported. They still have those fish which are about a yard long and very skinny and shinny with lots of tiny bones that get easily caught in your throat, though.)

I have found that the longer back I go in the history of my time in Taiwan, the better I remember it to be. The food better, the culture more traditionally Chinese, and friendlier, with fewer stupid laws brought back from the USA by Taiwan kids that went to the US to study, and learned only about stupid laws that they could enact in Taiwan, just for the heck of it.)

But the food?

Much less less in the style of real Chinese.

And this is much an influence of the Fast Food Chain culture that began invading Taiwan around 1983 or so, with a McD flagship store near what used to be the American Express bank and the BOA and CItiBank buildings.

The Taiwanese are really not Chinese in so many ways. Their culture is significantly different, as they will be the first ones to tell you.

But I am glad that you liked Taiwan, because I do, very much.

The mountains are beautiful.

The people are beautiful.

The political freedom there is beautiful.

Freedom of the press is beautiful and extensive.

There are so many great things about Taiwan.

The food stinks. (sorry)

• Like 1

SC

As you say, if you are talking about a time pre-2000, then I think I might begin to agree with thee, on some points.

Actually, I think I may be feeling similar effects to that of a reformed cigarette smoker.

I have just left Taiwan after many years, and finally see here in Thailand, all the things I have been missing.

There other point is that you keep comparing Taiwan to BKK.

But I am comparing Taiwan to ChiangMai,

A whole different kettle of fish. (Even fish they do not have in Taipei, to speak of. It is all overpriced now. And much is imported. They still have those fish which are about a yard long and very skinny and shinny with lots of tiny bones that get easily caught in your throat, though.)

I have found that the longer back I go in the history of my time in Taiwan, the better I remember it to be. The food better, the culture more traditionally Chinese, and friendlier, with fewer stupid laws brought back from the USA by Taiwan kids that went to the US to study, and learned only about stupid laws that they could enact in Taiwan, just for the heck of it.)

But the food?

Much less less in the style of real Chinese.

And this is much an influence of the Fast Food Chain culture that began invading Taiwan around 1983 or so, with a McD flagship store near what used to be the American Express bank and the BOA and CItiBank buildings.

The Taiwanese are really not Chinese in so many ways. Their culture is significantly different, as they will be the first ones to tell you.

But I am glad that you liked Taiwan, because I do, very much.

The mountains are beautiful.

The people are beautiful.

The political freedom there is beautiful.

Freedom of the press is beautiful and extensive.

There are so many great things about Taiwan.

The food stinks. (sorry)

That's just the stinky tofu.

I was in Taiwan around 2005. I forget what I used to eat in the evenings - the dinners were certainly nothing to write home about. But the lunches were better than I have had anywhere.

I think Chinese food when you consider the regional variations is quite a bit more varied and interesting than Thai food ...

Yes, it IS more varied with more diverse regions. And if you mean interesting as in "live in interesting times", then sometimes Chinese food can be very interesting.

But if I had to choose a cuisine to live on for the rest of my life without possibility to change, then it must be Thai food.]

I could even live off what I find in just one small beanerie 3 minutes walk from my house, it is that good.

Part of the reason is that the Thai food preparation I find in Thailand seems to be consistently better than what I have ever found in China.

If I were able to eat at the very finest restaurants in China every day, then maybe I might choose Chinese food.

If I did, then Thai food at a cheap beanerie like the one in my neighborhood would come in a close second.

I guess I just enjoy what they call JiaChangCai, 'everyday food' or 'more common food', rather than Chinese banquet food, most of which I detest.

Thai and Chinese cuisines for me are still first and second, or second and first, or first and second......

Ever tried Italian ?

German ?

Spanish ?

Mexican.......................................?

Ever tried Italian ?

German ?

Spanish ?

Mexican.......................................?

I would say that if you added up all four cuisines, then you might just come close to the glory you get when you eat Thai food.

Nothing in Europe or Central America can compare.

Yes, the chili originally came from South America,

But other than that, nothing in one or all of these you mention can replace Thai food.

I guess I cannot survive without chili pepper in just about everything I shovel in.

Italian food --- I do get a hankering. But then when I try actually pick up a fork and try it, I wish I were picking up a spoon in Thailand. Italian food never measures up to my expectations of it after about 5 years in Asia without a bite of the meatballs and Italian cheeses. Even a pizza is a letdown when I finally dig into one, and so I just don't bother with it anymore.

Spanish food --- Now this is something I think I might be able to use over here. I like the fact that they use a lot of rice in their cooking, what do they call it? A pilaf, pillaff, or something? I see that dish often when I am watching the Keith Floyd cooking show, and listening to the Stranglers.

Mexican? --- Please do not mention this glop. I thought it OK in Villahermosa and Mexico city. But then the great food in Villahermosa just began petering out by the time I got further south in my Benz 380SE, one of a kind I later found out driving around among the aboriginal tribes on my way to Belize. Very glad to get out of Mexico, I kid you not!!! You should have seen some of those hospitals in the Yucatan peninsula. Just concrete boxes with very little in them. Forget the Mexican, if you can, when you gots the runs.

German Food? --- No way, Jose! Where is the heat? I can't get no satisfaction with food unless it has plenty of heat. I love the beer and the bratwurst but the heavy dishes can't compare to the ThaiPad or PadThai, whichever way you like it.

No, baby, I am sticking with Thai food and Thailand, as long as I can.

I know when I found paradise, my stomach knows it, and I will not be seeing any greener grass in Europe or Mexico.

Mexico????

How did you come up with Mexico?

You may be right. I've been to several different parts of China, HK and Taiwan and eating some very varied things. But, Thai, imo, has more variety of intensity of flavours and always something new to try. Also lived in India, Malaysia, Middle East and several parts of Europe. But. Thai still has the edge for me when it comes to food.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

You may be right. I've been to several different parts of China, HK and Taiwan and eating some very varied things. But, Thai, imo, has more variety of intensity of flavours and always something new to try. Also lived in India, Malaysia, Middle East and several parts of Europe. But. Thai still has the edge for me when it comes to food.

Yes! You are right, and that is what I am talking about.

Thai food is very special.

I have eaten a lot of Chinese food.

But Thai food takes the cake as far as quality, flavor, satisfaction, you name it.

Chinese is second, due to the problems with quality control in its preparation in China.

They can't even serve their children milk consistently without adding some Melamine just to see if it will destroy a few kidneys, and maybe grow hair.

Chinese food though, I have loved it for years and have eaten little else, before arriving in Chiang Mai.

I'm looking at this from a fantasy perspective.

You are stuck with ONE type of food for the rest of your life and you have access to a huge 1000 page menu representing the variety of Thai food vs. Chinese food, all cooked well.

I can't imagine picking Thai.

I can't imagine any serious (non-Thai) food lover picking Thai.

I do love Thai food of course.

Had some every day this week.

But only because of what's available where I live, which has very limited Chinese options.

Of course, I'm happy not to be stuck with one kind of food.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'm looking at this from a fantasy perspective.

You are stuck with ONE type of food for the rest of your life and you have access to a huge 1000 page menu representing the variety of Thai food vs. Chinese food, all cooked well.

I can't imagine picking Thai.

I do love Thai food of course.

Had some every day this week.

But only because of what's available where I live, which has very limited Chinese options.

Of course, I'm happy not to be stuck with one kind of food.

Gee, I did not even think of this possibility.

Do you think, then, that I am actually Thai and did not even know it?

That would explain a lot of things, perhaps.

(I know what you are saying about Chinese food and fantasy. But in the real world, after having Chinese for over 30 years, and very, very little else, and then now having eaten Thai food for five months, with absolutely nothing else, I must stay with my original view, which is I will take Thai for the rest of my days, if I am given only this option, or any other single cuisine in the world.)

Edited by OldChinaHam