TrueVisions told to drop 'channel-switching ads'

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viewers should drop true vision

I already did this month! And amazingly, they were pulling out all the stops to keep me. They offered to cut the 2000 baht I was paying for a Gold package plus one ala cart package to only 1000 baht!!!!!

I never watch and was only looking forward to EPL, but since they don't even carry that anymore I said Sayonara. I'm perfectly happy watching bittorrented stuff and news online.

Anyway. TIP OF THE DAY: Anybody wanting a discount, call up and threaten to stop subscribing!!! They'll bend over backwards for you after years of making you bend over!

Too right! After dropping TRUE for CTH the former's sales team called twice begging us to reconsider and reminding us that they show La Liga and Seri A which CTH do not. I guess I was supposed to be impressed by this wet fish offer. Couldn't help but smirk.

According to NBTC, the practice violated the customers′ rights, as commercial also obstructs parts of the screen and limit the viewers′ access to the service.

So, as of yesterday True has dropped the offensive ad and replaced it with their own ad which still obstructs parts of the screen. Back at ya NBTC.

Viewers should drop true vision

After their latest mishmash of changing channels around. and it seemed they reduced the number of channels available for the package subscribed, to basically a load of cr*p, and it's a waste of money.

I have now stopped the subscription. I can get all I want on the internet. minus continuous repeats.

Been here for 13 years since they were UBC. I recall UBC then saying that they had to charge so much because they, unlike other cable operators, were unable to show ads. There were numerous press articles quoting them as saying this, and in responses to complaints in Bangkok Post's Potsbag. Lo and behold, some years ago they were allowed to carry ads and did they decrease the subscription fees? Of course not.

They replied to my emails on this subject by saying they were investing in new, better technologies and new programming which cost them an arm and a leg and therefore they would not be reducing the fees.

And now they are preparing us for a 2nd channel change this year (they did 2 or 3 last year, too).

I migrated my mobile from TrueMove to AIS last year and what a breath of fresh air that was. Unfortunately they have me by the short and curlies for cable, fixed line and internet.

It is without doubt, my most disliked brand in Thailand and typical of a company that puts shareholders before customer. I hope one day their greed brings them to their knees.

What you are saying is just not true. 11 years ago, with UBC, I was paying 1,500 for a Gold package that had barely 80 channels. I know pay 590 Baht for the True Super Knowledge package (without too much sports) and I have 116 channels with 5 in HD.

It is fine not to like a brand but this needs to be backed up by data, not just "because I said so".

GJ

True vision are charging you for movies etc, and also showing adverts. That is wrong it should be one or the other. I also don't think this only applies to Thailand, I believe it applies in all countries.

You do not know that it is wrong unless you can prove that the subscriberr fees without the ads are more than enough to pay for the operating costs, upgrades, and profit of the company. You as a customer have a choice...subscribe or not. If you run a business you determine what your revenue streams will be, because you know your cash flow. Your subscription fee may be subsidized by the ads to keep the company in business, and if the com,pany failed 1.4 million people would lose the provider they obviously prefer, or they would have already stopped paying for it.

A month ago I downgraded from True's Gold package to some sort of sports package that proved to be useless. Now I've completely cancelled and glad to be rid of their customer unfriendly ways. I had all sorts of pleading from the very polite lady who took my call - extra HD channels (useless to one with no HD TV) etc but no real reduction in cost.

Yes, they complained some years ago (as UBC) about no commercials and when they got the ok they still refused to give customers a reduction. They have a quantity over quality mentality always failing to see that another 30 or so channels of crap doesn't compensate for loss of add-free or sport viewing.

I can't get CTH but have found 365sporttv a very good substitute for EPL football fanatics - B600 a month plus B300 sign-up fee. They also have F1, Motogp & rugby. And their support is very good as I've had some teething problems to sort out.

As mentioned above, I agree that they must be hurting over the loss of customers. Always good to see a virtual monopoly kicked in the goolies.

Edited by khunken
  • Like 1

True visions is starting to annoy me, especially since they changed all their channels around, I really need to go on the full package to see a decent selection i think.. I've heard about the dodgy pay tv places that can set you up, anyone have experience with these? biggrin.png

Yea there was a copy (hacked) Astro Tv Sat Tv Set top boxes, cost 250 Baht per Month,Now Malaysian stopped the transmission in Thailand so now have to get the True visions and lose the money it did cost for the Astro Dish and top box 6000 Baht for installing, sad.png

An illegal pirated service.

The service no longer works because they have upgraded to a digital system. I doubt the cable operator cares, unless Thailand has complained about Astro having customers in Thailand ?

Been here for 13 years since they were UBC. I recall UBC then saying that they had to charge so much because they, unlike other cable operators, were unable to show ads. There were numerous press articles quoting them as saying this, and in responses to complaints in Bangkok Post's Potsbag. Lo and behold, some years ago they were allowed to carry ads and did they decrease the subscription fees? Of course not.

They replied to my emails on this subject by saying they were investing in new, better technologies and new programming which cost them an arm and a leg and therefore they would not be reducing the fees.

And now they are preparing us for a 2nd channel change this year (they did 2 or 3 last year, too).

I migrated my mobile from TrueMove to AIS last year and what a breath of fresh air that was. Unfortunately they have me by the short and curlies for cable, fixed line and internet.

It is without doubt, my most disliked brand in Thailand and typical of a company that puts shareholders before customer. I hope one day their greed brings them to their knees.

What you are saying is just not true. 11 years ago, with UBC, I was paying 1,500 for a Gold package that had barely 80 channels. I know pay 590 Baht for the True Super Knowledge package (without too much sports) and I have 116 channels with 5 in HD.

It is fine not to like a brand but this needs to be backed up by data, not just "because I said so".

GJ

Not quite sure where I stated in my posted 'because I said so' but if you want facts - fine. I am still paying Bht19,000 per annum for Gold. Other than the arrival of History and Lifetime and a couple of other Korean, Japanese and some flakey mind-numbing local channels, nothing has changed.

This is a fact - my annual fees have not dropped since 2000 when I took them up. And it's also a fact that they said they would reduce the fees when they were allowed to carry advertising. The fact is, they haven't.

Another fun fact is that Starhub in Singapore, with a smaller domestic market, can give me more than TV Platinum with even the likes of BBC World in HD for a stunning SGD68.76 (Bht1,410) per month.

This a also simple fact.

And yes, now I say so.wai.gif

• Like 1

Wonderful news. Now if only they would do something about the big True Visions logo in the top right corner and the big Channel logo that appears in the top left corner. Fox Family is particularly a humongous logo.

Edited by RBOP

As a person who doesn't really care about soccer at all, I have to say that competition is such a beautiful thing.

True Visions was a cashcow for True for so long until now that someone decided to tackle them head-on. If not because of CTH, True Visions would probably never bother to think about adding HD channels or thinking of adding some better channels like Life Inspired and LifeTime.

Also, addition of tennis, rugby, and ASN HD are very welcome by me :)

And for those who are wondering about what Thais are doing? Well, a lot of my friends now subscribe to 4 True Visions boxes but split the boxes amongst friends. As long as you are using True Online internet on cable, you can just simply plug in these boxes and they just work.

• Like 1

Since losing the EPL True must be on their knees due to lost revenue I went from paying 2,155 per month to 590 per month as the wife likes the Lifestyle Channel of course we have CTH at 899 per month which means I now save some 600 baht per month and have two satellite providers. HAPPY DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Losing EPL is bad enough and on my return I shall be cutting the service but at least on the internet you can spybot the ads this on Tv is just scamming with no effective oversight.

This is what you get where no foreign competition is allowed. No real choice.

State enterprises or a free-for-all no questions asked private sector dedicated solely to improved corperate returns.

I have a question about the above comment. If the company is brought to its knees, then what? If as you say they have you by your short and curlies, won't you be in a jam should the company falter?

Wonderful news. Now if only they would do something about the big True Visions logo in the top right corner and the big Channel logo that appears in the top left corner. Fox Family is particularly a humongous logo.

You'd have to talk to Fox about their logos. True have no control over that. It is also done by nearly all Pay and FTA channels all over the world.

GJ

Not quite sure where I stated in my posted 'because I said so' but if you want facts - fine. I am still paying Bht19,000 per annum for Gold. Other than the arrival of History and Lifetime and a couple of other Korean, Japanese and some flakey mind-numbing local channels, nothing has changed.

This is a fact - my annual fees have not dropped since 2000 when I took them up. And it's also a fact that they said they would reduce the fees when they were allowed to carry advertising. The fact is, they haven't.

Another fun fact is that Starhub in Singapore, with a smaller domestic market, can give me more than TV Platinum with even the likes of BBC World in HD for a stunning SGD68.76 (Bht1,410) per month.

This a also simple fact.

And yes, now I say so.wai.gif

Your facts are just not "facts". In 2000, the Gold package was carrying only around 70+ channels, you have double. Now I am not saying they are all worth watching but give me 2-3 channels they have in Singapore on Starhub that they don't have here.

GJ

As a person who doesn't really care about soccer at all, I have to say that competition is such a beautiful thing.

True Visions was a cashcow for True for so long until now that someone decided to tackle them head-on. If not because of CTH, True Visions would probably never bother to think about adding HD channels or thinking of adding some better channels like Life Inspired and LifeTime.

Also, addition of tennis, rugby, and ASN HD are very welcome by me smile.png

And for those who are wondering about what Thais are doing? Well, a lot of my friends now subscribe to 4 True Visions boxes but split the boxes amongst friends. As long as you are using True Online internet on cable, you can just simply plug in these boxes and they just work.

The idea with four boxes works well. We have full Platinum package for about 800 Baht a month.

Glad to see this. There's no way you should have to watch advertising in a paid service. Here in Japan, Skyperfect charges a fortune for satellite TV, then starts ALL programs on the hour so they can fill the last 10 to 15 minutes with TV shopping. In this case, Thailand is miles ahead!!! Well done!