Thai professor recommends raising taxes on non-married individuals

webfact

Absolutely ridiculous!

What about the infertile?

Or those who are unable to find a mate?

The mental challenged, or physically incapable of married life?

This is not going to force anyone to marry, but it will be grossly unfair.

'Hey, will you marry me, we need the tax reduction.' ABSURD!

And gays.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone show me the way to the pharmacie please, were they sell the drugs these guys consuming! I've never experienced that kind of ideas after some Leo beer! Someone must have translated some speeches of the german chancellor Frau Merkel, she has the same strange ideas or they are served by the dealer!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifwhistling.gif

Thais outraged by suggestion of single tax policy

BANGKOK, 6 September 2013 (NNT) - A proposal by an economic academic to increase tax rates for single citizens has sparked debate among young Thais.

On September 5, Terdsak Chomtosuwan, an economics professor from Rangsit University, pointed out during a seminar on Thailand’s economic policies that the country was facing a labour shortage due to the growing number of elderly people and lower birth rates.

He said the kingdom has a low fertility rate of only 1.6 children per household and that many factors including the country’s economic boom are encouraging young citizens to choose work over marriage and children.

In a bid to boost the country’s revenue, the government needs to consider collecting tax from citizens who are unmarried and without children, said the professor, adding that due to the rising costs of food and utility, government agencies should launch an initiative to buoy birth rates in the form of a ‘first child’ assistance policy.

Critics have expressed outrage at Mr Terdsak’s suggestion, saying that the singles should not be forced to carry the burden of those who choose to bear children. Former senator Rabiabrat Pongpanich spoke publicly about the proposal, saying she agreed with the first child policy but feared that the introduction of a single tax would be met with fierce opposition from members of the Thai society.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-06 footer_n.gif

For a country who puts so much credence in what so called 'academics' say, they sure cannot half talk some crap. In most countries other than the ones at prestigious universities, 'academics' are generally thought of as people who could not cut the mustard it in the private sector, and went for the easy option.

In Thailand they literally have thousands of these academics who people actually seemingly listen to. I am not sure an academic from the Thai education system is much to right home about, although having said that, i suppose the majority of politicians attempted to come through the same Thai education system as well.

You need a master degree here just to make a proper cup of coffee .........coffee1.gif

• Like 1

For a country who puts so much credence in what so called 'academics' say, they sure cannot half talk some crap. In most countries other than the ones at prestigious universities, 'academics' are generally thought of as people who could not cut the mustard it in the private sector, and went for the easy option.

Are they? Who thinks this?

Why do so few people choose 'the easy option' then?

• Like 1

I seem to be in a minority of 1 here, but I'm standing by my opinion that this AWFUL proposal is only awful in its' language.

Had he proposed tax benefits for marriage and children - which is exactly the same thing (single people get no reduction in tax) and is standard in many countries throughout the world, they'd be singing his praises...

smh

• Like 1

Another great idea by the folk who control LOS. w00t.gif

Yes, and it comes courtesy of western countries.

The same sort of tax strategy has been employed with "baby bonuses", extra tax credits allowed for families etc. by multiple western countries.

This is simply a repackaging of existing western tax policy.

What's the baby bonus in Australia?

A lifetime's supply of Vegemite, isn't it?

But for all those advocating Thai families having more kids just remember one thing...... Granny Shinawat had ten of them.

I rest my case.

wai2.gif

Edited by bigbamboo

I seem to be in a minority of 1 here, but I'm standing by my opinion that this AWFUL proposal is only awful in its' language.

Had he proposed tax benefits for marriage and children - which is exactly the same thing (single people get no reduction in tax) and is standard in many countries throughout the world, they'd be singing his praises...

smh

Next time I go to Makro to pick up my "medication" (beer), I'll point out to the cashier that, being married and the father of 2 thai nationals, I don't need to pay the tax on said beer laugh.png

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

Gay Thais should be exempt from this until Thailand legalizes same sex marriage. coffee1.gif

Even is they legalize marriage ... can you tell me how you an your same sex partner will spawn kids?

Cut off a finger & stick it in some potting compost?

Is n't this precisely the same as the UK system - tax advantages of being married and having children - but worded bass ackwards?

In Thailand tax advantage wouldnt work...since so few pays tax. It wouldnt be encouragement.

So, guess came the idea, turn the table, and tax the individuals.

Wont need to have a job, wont have to prove your earnings to be able to tax you, and thus offer tax advantage in turn...just enough to know that you exist.

I think if they would introduce a government child walfare that also has in some countries...ie. money to parents to help to raise the child...that could work. Just like old age pension, parents would get say 1000thb/kid/month.

Would it encourage really lots of adult to have kids for whom the diapers would cost twice that much monthly? not really, but then it would help some for the patents, as well, it would be still better than have piles of rice, or rubber, or whatever else come out of the usual great ideas of this government.

They already do, I get 800 Baht a month for the 2 kids (when they remember to deposit in the account, sometimes goes a few months and then a lump sum get deposited) from Social Security. Not a lot to raise kids on but there is something there. Don't know how I got it, got a lump sum payment out of the blue a while back and queried what it was and that was it, been getting it randomly since.

I vaguely remember something about a 20000 Baht payment for each kid when they were born, probably should pay more attention. The missus would know but is out, it was something to do with the Social Security from working from memory. She dealt with all that stuff though and I may be incorrect there.

Also, as someone else said, you can already make dedications for the wife and kids in your tax return.

In Thailand they literally have thousands of these academics who people actually seemingly listen to. I am not sure an academic from the Thai education system is much to right home about, although having said that, i suppose the majority of politicians attempted to come through the same Thai education system as well.

Yes, you obviously were able to cut it, since you know how to right the write way ;P

What are you even talking about? Do you want to say that all academics are dumb? Then why criticize just Thai academics?

And what makes you think that the "country...puts so much credence in what so called academics say"? How much time have you spent reading about reactions to 1. thais in thai 2. foreigners who have written in engilsh in thai? IF you have done much at all, you know "listening to academics" works just like everything else: if the academics say what we want to here, then we will laude it to its extreme, if it counters that, well, they must be a slave to whatever side we are against...

• Like 1

There are too many people in Thailand as it is. This is shortsighted solution to a problem that goes far beyond the scope of his thinking. Not least of all is the fact that Thailand needs to move away from be a labour orientated factory. Education and automation are the way of the future. Thailand needs to change the way it thinks.

In summary, this guy is an idiot.

I'll give you an example. Are there enough plumbers in Thailand? No. Do plumbers need a good education? Poop rolls downhill is about it, eh? Are they going to automate poop? No. It's still going to roll downhill. Thailand needs plumbers, electricians, bricklayers, carpenters, gardeners, landscapers, road builders ..... and on and on and on. None of these trades will be automated and none will benefit from a marketing MA from NakonNowhere Univ.

You completely missed the point of my post. Yes, of course all those things will be needed, I never said they would. My point is that increasing the population is not the answer to sustainable economic growth. Thailand cannot achieve ‘developed’ status by being a factory of the ‘first world’.

What Thailand does need is a more educated population (and education doesn’t just come from Universities, it can also come from technical colleges and apprenticeships). Thailand needs to think quality of population, not quantity.

Yes Thailand can not answer there problems with more people. More people just increases the need for the commodities and services. A complete over haul of their education system would be the first thing to do. The Thais have to learn to reason things out and when they see a better way to do things embrace them. Also a more efficient work ethic would solve many of there problems.

As has been pointed out earlier trade schools would be a big help. The problem would be in getting qualified instructors and instilling in all workers a sense of pride in a job well done. As is now Thailand has entered the Tech. era but the workers are still approaching things with a good enough attitude. That worked fine when they were just living in small villages and growing most of their own food and making there own clothes.

It would be nice if they could sort the people out at an early age that want and are willing to learn what it takes to go into international commerce even at a low level, These they could teach English to and stop wasting other's time and resources on a useless subject. Devote it to more practical subjects. Such as Mathematics World History Geography and what not. Things they should be teaching any how.

Doubt that they could sort them out at an early age. Wind up like Canada every one has to learn French and it is only spoken in one province. Kind of like making all Thais learn Malaysian and it is only spoken in three provinces. If they could catch them at the High school level or what would be the last four years in many western education systems with 12 grades. Then they would be able to get a better idea of what the student wants and start with some classes to help in that direction. I am by no means an expert but I do know the whole system is wrong. Just teaching every body in it to speak English is not the answer and in many cases will hold a student back

"Terdsak Chomtosuwan, an economics professor from Rangsit University, has asked the government to consider encouraging Thais to bear more children by collecting a single tax and no children tax.

Ah, the kind of thinking that brought you the rice scheme and rubber city. There is it seems an endless supply of stupidity in academia and politics in this day and age. Love this guys first name though, mirrors where he got this idea from for sure.

Edited by Bluespunk

This idea cam fro ma professor? and thus explaining what is wrong the Thai education system

How about an extra tax if you wee wee is longer than 10 inches?

or if your boobies are more that a 36 - you pay more taxes?

How about extra taxes for all the Thai men who got girls pregnant then did a runner?

This idea cam fro ma professor? and thus explaining what is wrong the Thai education system

How about an extra tax if you wee wee is longer than 10 inches?

or if your boobies are more that a 36 - you pay more taxes?

How about extra taxes for all the Thai men who got girls pregnant then did a runner?

That last one isn't that bad an idea. If you can find them that is--/

There are too many people in Thailand as it is. This is shortsighted solution to a problem that goes far beyond the scope of his thinking. Not least of all is the fact that Thailand needs to move away from be a labour orientated factory. Education and automation are the way of the future. Thailand needs to change the way it thinks.

In summary, this guy is an idiot.

How many migrant workers are imported to Thailand every year? One of the problems is the employer has to pay the same as Thai workers and in addition supply housing for the migrants but not the Thais. A lot of Thais are upset. So who is an idiot?

pay the same as thais ...thats funny,thats why the burmese are doing the jobs cos the thais too lazy.maybe .does housing mean the tin sheds onsite....get out more prof...clap2.gif

In this particular instance I was talking about Cambodian workers. I get out a lot and am part of importing legally migrant workers from Cambodia to Thailand. The rules and regulations state that the employer must provide not only pay at the minimum wage but also lodging. Cambodian workers are easier to work with because many people in Thailand speak Khmer. All of the migrant workers I know of are legal and have both passport and visas. Perhaps it is you who should get out a bit more with legal employers and employees.

Edited by historyprof

Gotta agree with you.

It is as I have always said show me an academician and I will show you some one with a dumb idea. There are the rare exceptions but their is a public relationship ban on them. They might make a collage or university look like they are an institution of learning.

You two are poster children for what happens to people who don't go to "collage". clap2.gif

Nicely reasoned and worded arguments, the two of you.

The only "real" successful Thais with a real education are the ones farang make, as they end up as soapie stars or have good modeling careers, while dad still does not have the right to own land, a business to himself or citizenship (unless he is of the lucky few)

So where does that leave Thais born of both mom and dad citizens? -sic-