PC/Laptop Speaker Testing Software?

OldChinaHam

Is there any software to test the integrity of the small speakers designed to be used with PCs or Laptops?

The reason I ask is that I have two tiny Divoom speakers that sometimes sound like they are choking and dying whenever there is any low frequency played.

It is not that the bass is loud, but any base from a few selections causes distortion.

So how can I test to see if it is the speakers at fault, the audio file recording at fault, or the computer somehow at fault?

If there was some sort of test software, then would this not be the best way?

So, what should I do to test these tiny things?

Or the bigger speakers, what to test those?

I wonder if it is possible just to buy some good high quality tweeters originally designed for large room speakers, and then just connect these to the computer?

But they probably draw too much juice.

Or would they?

Is your computer a Laptop or a Desktop?

Does it have built-in speakers?

Does your speakers connect to the computer with a 3.5mm jack?

I wonder if it is possible just to buy some good high quality tweeters originally designed for large room speakers, and then just connect these to the computer? - Are you referring ONLY to tweeters OR a complete speaker system?

But they probably draw too much juice - No. Speaker systems comes with their own power supplies and amplifiers. The PC only provides the sound signal.

e.g. http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

Is your computer a Laptop or a Desktop?

Does it have built-in speakers?

Does your speakers connect to the computer with a 3.5mm jack?

I wonder if it is possible just to buy some good high quality tweeters originally designed for large room speakers, and then just connect these to the computer? - Are you referring ONLY to tweeters OR a complete speaker system?

But they probably draw too much juice - No. Speaker systems comes with their own power supplies and amplifiers. The PC only provides the sound signal.

e.g. http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

1.I have one laptop and will have one desktop PC.

The laptop does have built-in speakers, however I never use them.

What I am using now is those tiny cubes made by Divoom, which originally sounded OK until all of a sudden I began to notice very pronounced distortion and rumbling when higher volume bass passages were played. This never happened in the past.

So obviously something has changed either with the computer or the speakers.

I have no way of testing the speakers with another audio source until I receive a new desktop, soon.

However, I thought that if I knew of the right software program designed to test speakers, then this might work.

I just do not know if there is such software, if it will work, and how effective it is.

2. I was thinking of using some good tweeters to reproduce fairly good quality sound for bass and treble from my PCs.

I would think this might be HiFi sound rather than this terrible quality I get from normal PC speakers, or laptop speakers.

Normally, with a HiFi sound system, then you need an amplifier because the signal coming out of the tuner or the computer is only a few miliwatts or, not enough anyway to drive a speaker of any quality.

But then i am thinking, what about if I got some speakers designed for a car sound system and the tuner out of a car, or something. Wonder how that might work?

Or, what about Bose? Because the JBL for PCs is trash (I think)

3. Still, any informed help with any of the above will be greatly appreciated. With Hi Fidelity sound systems, I am more at home, just spending money to fix problems. But with this computer, I don't want to spend much to fix the audio, if anything if I do not need to.

Thanks.

If you want to test the sound, use some headphones. If you want good sound, don't buy silly little speakers that are incapable of producing low frequencies.

I purchased a 35 watt RMS 2:1 speaker system for around 800 baht in Thailand. No problem with low frequencies or high frequencies. Tiny speakers cannot produce the waveforms necessary to reproduce low frequencies.

If you want to test the sound, use some headphones. If you want good sound, don't buy silly little speakers that are incapable of producing low frequencies.

I purchased a 35 watt RMS 2:1 speaker system for around 800 baht in Thailand. No problem with low frequencies or high frequencies. Tiny speakers cannot produce the waveforms necessary to reproduce low frequencies.

1. I agree that using headphones is a way to test the sound through headphones. But by using headphones will this also test the system for these tiny speakers that are plugged into the headphone socket?

I am thinking maybe not, because maybe the problem is caused only when the speakers are drawing maximum "load" from the computer audio output. Maybe my headphones draw so little wattage that they do not exhibit any problem. I do not know.

It would satisfy me if I had another set of these Vrooms to hook up and test, but I do not.

2. I would be interested to know if 800 Baht can really buy true High Fidelity sound? If it can, that I will definitely buy. The good speakers I have heard in the past connected to good sound systems sound totally different, and totally better, compared to my PC speakers. Even when the volume is very low.

2b. I do not need much wattage, and I do not need much volume here, just good sound. If I turn it up much, I will be booted out of the place I live, even if I were tempted to cause anyone any disturbance, which I am not. Mostly, I listen to Bach, which is sometimes putting out a lot of bass frequencies that make the left Vroom rattle, sort of. I do not think the speaker could be "blown" because I have not used to to play much loud music.

3. What speakers did you purchase for 800Baht? I would be happy to try them. I need to buy in Chiang Mai.

4. Checking the Vrooms, I saw that they are reviewed and rated very high on the comparison charts for laptop desktop speakers.

Tks for the replies!

you can use : reason, logic or samplitude. it is a bit of an overkill i have to admit. or or simply go to your control panel and use the sound/propery/soundcheck option.biggrin.png

1. The sound check option does not show a problem, although there is a problem.

2. If MAGIX Samplitude can detect and diagnose speaker problems or other things that cause improper sound output, then I do not care if it is overkill. I will try it if I can download it on a trial basis.

Thanks.

There is a small test software here > http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml

I am not sure if that would suit your purpose.

Why not connect your speakers to a smart phone, CD player or some audio equipment and test it that way?

Edit:

Found this too > http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

There is a small test software here > http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml

I am not sure if that would suit your purpose.

Why not connect your speakers to a smart phone, CD player or some audio equipment and test it that way?

Edit:

Found this too > http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html

I actually had not thought of connecting the speakers to a smartphone or a Walkman which I actually do have.

That is a great idea!!!

Thank you much.

Also, it looks like the links to the tone generator will also come in handy.

Tks.

• Like 1